Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2010, 20:36   #1756
BHPian

Watched

@Lovely Bones by Peter Jackson - Expected too much from the movie and hence was let down by most part. 3/5

@Invictus - Good one, but unfortunately , not backed by good background score needed for the feel good true story movies. 3.5/5. Morgan Freeman IS nelson Mandela.

@Blind Side - Gem of a movie. 4/5. Again a true story.
Old 23rd February 2010, 21:51   #1757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
@ Archat : for your son i would suggest "eight below", an excellent movie.

I watched "what happens in vegas" couple of days back still laughing thinking about it.
"eight below' showing on zee studio right now. Looks decent.

"what happens in vegas"- saw it too. critics ridiculed it but i enjoyed it
Old 23rd February 2010, 22:42   #1758
Team-BHP Support

Saw Luther yesterday. I've had the DVD for a year now, but never saw it till now.

I was always curious about this professor from 16th century who defied the might of the Vatican and survived, unlike most other intellectuals of that time. I have read about him here and there, but never really understood what he did or how he did it. The movie gives a clear picture, really helped my understanding of that era. I even paused the movie often to google the various characters in the movie to understand them better.
Old 24th February 2010, 00:58   #1759
Senior - BHPian

Just finished watching A Street Car Named Desire. Superb acting by the lead actors - Marlon Brando and Vivien Leigh. A must watch for sure.
Old 24th February 2010, 02:09   #1760
BHPian

@mobike: yeah mobike... its been a long time.

I forgot to mention this movie

Christine (1983)
written by Stephen King and directed by John Carpenter..
Horror. Its about a teenager buying his first car a 1958 Plymouth Fury, once purchahsed, it has some supernatural powers which starts changing owner's (teenager) behaviour and so on... its a good watch 4.5/5 .

In the Mouth of Madness
Another John carpenter's movie. A really good dark,twisted horror movie. read wiki to know more.. 4/5
Old 24th February 2010, 08:46   #1761
BHPian

I watched District 9 and Couples Retreat. District 9 was an awesome movie and Couples retreat was very avoidable.
Old 24th February 2010, 09:33   #1762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdulRahmanM View Post
I watched District 9 and Couples Retreat. District 9 was an awesome movie and Couples retreat was very avoidable.
what timing !! I just finished watching "district 9" and i share the same review.
i also saw a pierce brosnan movie called "after the sunset" . I liked it. a jewel thief story.
Old 24th February 2010, 09:58   #1763
Senior - BHPian

Watched these over the last few days:
1. Zombieland: Starts off well but quickly becomes a drag. Avoid.

2. Donnie Darko: A nice gripping movie. The end left me completely baffled. So it was either i watch the movie 3 or 4 times or read about it a little on the net. After some reading, the ending made sense and gave a whole new approach to the story. Will have to watch it again a few times of course. But story apart, brilliant acting by Jajke Gyllenhall.

3. Cypher: Manchurian Candidate repackaged as corporate espionage. Average fair.
Old 24th February 2010, 10:40   #1764
BHPian

There is no IMAX in the NE region. Is it possible for a normal movie theatre to show Avatar in 3D? I remember watching Chota Chetan, the first Indian 3D movie, in a regular hall wearing 3D glasses.

These are lined up for viewing:

1. Un Prophete (French with English Subs)
2. The Crucible (*ing Daniel Day-Lewis, Winona Ryder)
Old 24th February 2010, 12:25   #1765
Team-BHP Support

Mobike: Where is the Avatar review ?
Old 24th February 2010, 12:44   #1766
BHPian

saw District 9 a couple of days ago, a very different kind of a movie. seems like there will be a sequel to the movie
Old 24th February 2010, 12:47   #1767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
Surrogates: Dumb Movie. Bruce Willis stars in this Sci-fi 'family drama'. 98% of the humans in the world use surrogates to live their daily lives. When a weapon is used which kills the operator along with the surrogate FBI agent Willis is forced to use his "meatbag" to solve the case. Totally avoidable. Mercifully short at one and a half hours though. Rating: 1/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Just watched '' The Surrogates '' starring bruce Willis.

Nice Sci Fi - in the near future everyone has a surrogate or a computer robot which is controlled by the owner. Crime rates are zero. When a murder happens things seem to be quite different from what they are.

4/5
Surrogates : 2.5/5

Was surprised to see such an young Bruce. Funny idea/story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Watched 'Law abiding citizen'
Really gripping and nicely directed.
Butler does a good job but i still feel an actor with better facial expressions could have made this a masterpiece.
Still a very good thriller.
Rating- 4/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
Caught these over the weekend:

1. Law Abiding Citizen: Starring Gerard Butler and Jamie Foxx. Butler becomes enraged when the criminal who killed his wife and daughter gets off with a low sentence after some deal making by Foxx, the DA's golden haired boy. After a decade he takes matters in his own hands and kills off the actors in the case and the corrupt 'system' one by one. Nice, tight screenplay helps this movie which is quite predictable otherwise. Foxx cant act, while Butler has just the one style. Worth a watch once for the nice, tight action. A little gory at times though. 3/5
Law Abiding Citizen : 4/5

Grippy one,bit too much violence (2-3 scenes).
Old 24th February 2010, 14:09   #1768
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Mobike: Where is the Avatar review ?
Haha! Sorry, i saw the Movie on Sunday night and headed out to Bangalore early next morning for office work and back only today.

Lot of work to catch up. Will post my feelings by EOD
Old 24th February 2010, 17:12   #1769
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw " Avatar" in IMAX 3D in Prasadz in Hyderabad.

Like All, I went in with a lot of expectations and have a mixed feeling. I'd like to summarize my feelings below:-

1. Like everyone here said, the story was lame and reminded me of popular tv serial "Pavitra Rishta" of Zee TV. Jokes apart, they created a wonderful world of those "aliens" but, then thats not the strong point of the movie. There are quite a few pixar movies that were also made equally wonderful ( technology-wise)

2. 3D glasses strained the hell out of my eyes and wifey too was complaining. It was too tight. My wife's glass piece fell off during the first couple of minutes into the movie....LOL. So, i went out and got a new one for her

3. Sam Worthington was drool maal ( see, even i was drooling and i am perfectly straight..LOL). I absolutely loved his voice ,for a young fellow he has quite a baritone. Would rate it almost in ranks of Michael Douglas and Harrison Ford.

4. Special Effects were mind-blowing but, after some time it gets repetitive and those effects fail to gather your affection

5. Movie was too damn long. I was looking at my watch quite often ( especially at the end), which itself tell you a lot about the movie. Taking an anomaly, I didnt need to keep a check on my watch while watching " 3 Idiots"

Overall, it is a great thing to note the improvements in computer graphics et. all. But, i feel the marketing and sales folks are taking everyone for a ride by blowing the popularity of this movie out of propotion.

No wonder this movie raked in a few billion dollars worldwide and James Cameron is laughing all the way to the bank.

3.5/5 ( If there was no special effects/3D and brouhaha about the same, i would have probably given 2.5/5). I can't watch it a second time !

P.S: Bandits starring Bruce Willis is lined up next. Any reviews?
Old 24th February 2010, 18:46   #1770
BHPian

I watched "Rail and Ties" yday, a good movie liked it...a good 4/5.

Watched "Life is beautiful" again, no comments too emotional to even talk about it.
A 5/5, have not seen a movie so gripping till date. For those who have not watched pl see this movie...It just takes you to a difft world where you laugh & cry the same time & a world of simple life...

Last edited by crn12 : 24th February 2010 at 18:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks