Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2010, 14:50   #2566
BHPian

Hi Guys, Went ahead & ordered a whole load of stuff from the Megs independence sale on Autogeek last weekend ! Shipping cost was the real shocker though, more than the product cost :(. Product cost = 125 USD, shipping, 140 USD.

Anyways, the reduced cost of the products (30 ~ 40%) should make up for it i guess !

Can anyone help me out with the following info if you have experience with Autogeek ? - Shipping lead time of USPS to India ? - Any customs duty payable once it lands in India ? If so, how do i go about getting it cleared ?

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 6th July 2010 at 14:57.
Old 6th July 2010, 15:32   #2567
BHPian

Hey nirmal,

I had a terrible experience with USPS.
Check this post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ml#post1910729

Hope that the products reach you soon and the custom duty is not high.
You'll have to pay custom duty when the post office guy delivers the package to your place. Or they might send you a letter asking you to collect the package from the post office. Search for the USPS thread at erodov forums and you'll know what I mean.
Old 6th July 2010, 16:24   #2568
BHPian

Thanks Thelord !

Ive just shot off an email to Autogeek to change it to FEDEX or UPS if they havent already shipped it !

Will call their office once they open in the evening & speak to them too !

Btw, hope the charge customs duty only on the price of products & not product + shipping ? Is it around 30% ?

Last edited by nirmaljusdoit : 6th July 2010 at 16:43.
Old 6th July 2010, 16:32   #2569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Thanks Thelord !

Ive just shot off an email to Autogeek to change it to FEDEX or UPS if they havent already shipped it !

Will call their office once they open in the evening & speak to them too !

Btw, hope the charge customs duty only on the price of products & not product + shipping ? Is it around 30% ?
Customs is always charged on shipping+insurance+product cost.
Old 6th July 2010, 18:18   #2570
BHPian

Too late - Autogeek package already shipped via USPS :( Keeping my fingers crossed !

Anyways the post office is just near my house, both the main one & my house area one, will follow up with them once i get the update from the online tracking !

I find it really absurd that customs duty is charged on shipping too :( Anyways you never know until you try, let me see how it all turns out !
Old 6th July 2010, 18:32   #2571
BHPian

@nirmaljusdoit
With USPS, duty calculation is at Custom Department's disposal unfortunately.
It's a real mess. Sometimes, they say it's on product cost alone. Sometimes they include shipping as well. I wanted to file an RTI but couldn't due to lack of time.
Edit (i read at erodov forums that Customs usually ignore USPS Economy packages), so good luck!

The situation is slightly better if you use FedEx and UPS. They have a dedicated team which ensures your item is cleared from Customs the same day and custom-duty, if any, is calculated properly.

@f1head
The duty-free limit is Rs 5000 I believe. I have ordered lots of tennis gear from tennis-warehouse. Product cost ~ 100$, FedEx shipping ~ 45$. I have never been charged customs duty and the items reached me in 3-4 days everytime.

Last edited by thelord : 6th July 2010 at 18:34.
Old 6th July 2010, 19:11   #2572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelord View Post
@f1head
The duty-free limit is Rs 5000 I believe. I have ordered lots of tennis gear from tennis-warehouse. Product cost ~ 100$, FedEx shipping ~ 45$. I have never been charged customs duty and the items reached me in 3-4 days everytime.
Its 10,000 but only for bonafide gifts i.e. from someone in the US/other places to you and not on purchases. I am pretty regular in this stuff.

You are lucky with regards to the duty not being charged on ordered goods, they probably falsely declare the stuff you order as gifts to save you the duty, if its charged, Fedex and DHL usually charge much higher customs than is admissible plus brokerage for imported stuff , you may google on importing stuff into India via customs for more info.
Old 6th July 2010, 21:35   #2573
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Got a chance now(most likely) to get a few prods from the US in July end. Folks who wanted can PM, not sure who all are still looking, just saw that nirmal ordered direct! Diff to keep waiting when want prods, but from the US always some delays happen. Ordering direct is almost 3 times more i guess
Old 6th July 2010, 22:24   #2574
BHPian

Mkh, will PM you some items which Autogeek didn't have in stock ! I'm just hoping that the reduced prices will make up for the higher shipping & customs duty if any that i have to pay for

Btw guys, is there any remedy to remove glue stains from car windows which stay back after sun film is removed ? Vinegar ? Isopropyl alcohol, etc ? please suggest some safe alternatives.
Old 7th July 2010, 00:23   #2575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Mkh, will PM you some items which Autogeek didn't have in stock ! I'm just hoping that the reduced prices will make up for the higher shipping & customs duty if any that i have to pay for
If you are a member of Autogeek Forum then for US orders above USD 95 shipping is free. They have a Buy 1 Get 1 free (BOGO) section on their site. Keep looking at it. Changes on Fridays US time. Often some serious stuff is on sale. I just picked up Pinnacle Signature II from there (2 for 1).

Rgds
Old 7th July 2010, 00:33   #2576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Suggest a wax available locally without any cleaners, I need to top up the wax layer.
Turtle Hard shell was an option, But It's a cleaner wax, so is platinum wax.
Try Eagle1. It is a fairly well known company. Available at Ebay. Decent prices.

Rgds
Old 7th July 2010, 00:56   #2577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
got me confused now. What will be the best option now- klasse polish and sealant then followed by NXT(or collinite)? Says that after klasse all in one , use sealant glaze for best results
Also wolfgang has the same combo- which one is better?
BTW you did not mention what you need, do you need Megs anymore?
No Confusion mkh. Klasse AIO is a polish. You cannot layer AIO. You can leave it after AIO for limited protection but for best results you will have to follow it up with Klasse Sealant glaze. The KSG is a pure sealant and can be layered.

The wolfgang combo is the Paint restorer and the Deep Gloss Paint Sealant.

You will have to use a pair for best results. You can layer a wax coat after the Polish from either but wax has a limited life under India conditions. The use of these polishes will leave your paint / clearcoat unprotected so best is to use the sealant. Then wax if you wish.

I use wolfgang currently - it is excellent. Layer the sealant twice and you can see the shrink wrap (as if). The shine is a little plastic-ee. But the coating is there to see. Water just rolls off. Lay a pure wax on it if you want the wet look for a short time.

Rgds
Old 7th July 2010, 11:40   #2578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
So, like wise to make provisions of the wax compounds and where to buy from recommended shops in Pune I wrote a pm to Raccoon.

My confusion is whether it is necessary to apply some wax compound coat on the paint for a 15 day old car ? (Please keep the monsoon consideration as its currently raining nowadays) or should I wait for couple of months and then it makes more sense??

Thanks in advance.
Hello fellow members, any word of advice on this please??

Thank you.
Old 7th July 2010, 12:44   #2579
Senior - BHPian

Got my collinite!!

Actually Wax and compound are two totally opposite things!

'wax' is a protective coating that you top up the clear coat paint with, in order to protect the paint from acid rain/ bird poo etching / dried water spots, etc.

It also improves the look of your car and washing the car becomes an easier task!

A properly waxed car is also aerodynamically more competent(due to smooth surface(if prepped properly)!

and 'compound' usually refers to fine abrasives suspended in a paste or liquid and are meant for scratch/defect removal

therefore, wax is definitely recommended, but a (rubbing)compound is not!

I'd suggest you get Collinite no. 845 from Collinite 845 Insulator Wax Now in India: BB Impex (P) Ltd. All India Authorized Sellers (they ship all over India)

-----------

btw just got my Collinite No 845!!!
(BHPians get freebies too! Thanks a lot Sanjay sir!)
cant wait to try it ASAP!

here's a pic
Attached Thumbnails
A superb Car cleaning, polishing & detailing guide-abcd0001.jpg  

Old 7th July 2010, 12:47   #2580
BHPian

So it means that we can order things upto 5k including shipping and there is will be no customs duty on that ????

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks