Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2014, 10:58   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need help with Proactive/Preventive maintenance of an Innova with 150K KM

Quote:
Originally Posted by live360 View Post
Parsh, just been through your thread. One quick question, since camera is not in tack middle of the car, does it effect the field of vision?
Thanks
Not much, unnoticeable. It is more towards blind side than driver side thats all. The Innova's factory-fitted cam is similarly placed and that position works well if you can mount the aftermarket one there.
Old 22nd September 2014, 10:07   #302
BHPian

Re: Maintain the car yourself. A service checklist

A very nice checklist compiled. Specially for newbies like me who have actually bought their first car recently.

Can anybody clarify some of my doubts on this checklist?

Engine Oil - A lot of places on the forums it is suggested that Engine Oil should be replaced after every 10K Kms. Well the first change is always 6 Months as per the ASC, but post that if my running is low Like 5K Kms every 6 months, is it still required that I change my Engine Oil after every 6 Months which is what is indicated in the Manual.

The Service Intervals Annually or 20K Kms and Two Years or 30K Kms, i am guessing would be whichever comes first. Can somebody confirm the same?

Would it be same for the Service Checklist indicated for 10K Kms. I mean would it be 10K Kms or 6 Months whichever is earlier?
Old 22nd September 2014, 10:48   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
Engine Oil - but post that if my running is low Like 5K Kms every 6 months, is it still required that I change my Engine Oil after every 6 Months which is what is indicated in the Manual.
Even if you do not change the oil, do change the oil filter 5K kms or 6 months whichever is earlier.
Old 22nd September 2014, 11:20   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Even if you do not change the oil, do change the oil filter 5K kms or 6 months whichever is earlier.
?? How can you change the oil filter without changing the oil?
The oil can be changed without changing the oil filter but you can not change the oil filter without changing the oil
Old 22nd September 2014, 11:25   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
?? How can you change the oil filter without changing the oil?
The oil can be changed without changing the oil filter but you can not change the oil filter without changing the oil
Catch it from the drain hole into an old engine oil can and put it back. Top up with new oil to the marks on dipstick.
Old 23rd September 2014, 13:48   #306
Senior - BHPian

Actually if low mileage is due to short trips, then the oil deteriorates faster - acids and carbon accumulate thinning the oil. Hence it should be changed at shorter distances. Remember that unless the engine heats up properly, combustion residues will not be evicted with the exhaust gasses, but will accumulate in the oil.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 11:20   #307
BHPian

Question about exact service intervals

So, I've been looking around and can't seem to find an answer.

Most cars' manuals specify that the service intervals in the following format

1200-1500km or 2 months from date of purchase, whichever is earlier
10000-10500km or 1 year from date of purchase, whichever is earlier

Notice that a range is mentioned for the odometer reading but not for the time. So, in the above example, suppose you cover 1200km in the first month, you have till 1500km to give your car in for servicing, which is a fair bit of time.
But suppose you cover only 500 km in the first two months, when exactly are you supposed to give it in for service. Is there an implied range here, such as 2 to 3 months? Or do you absolutely have to go in on the day your car turns two months old?

PS. Yes, I'm aware that most companies aren't THAT strict but I'd still like to know. In a court of law, what would be acceptable?
nukeblitz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 11:42   #308
BHPian

Re: Question about exact service intervals

I don't think there's any such window for the time duration. AFAIK, if the manual says 2 months from the days of purchase you need to take your car for service somewhere between 55-60 days from the date of purchase to be on the safer side, especially to retain warranty if you have one.

BTW does the odo reading have such a windows like 1200-1500 nowadays? My Ford manual specifies everything spot on leaving no room for doubts. Eg: First service @ 5000 kms or 3 months from the date of purchase, whichever comes earlier. So based on ODO reading 4500-5000 will be fine, and time period 85-90 days. Not a km more than that, not a day more than that.
RiGOD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 16:50   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
BTW does the odo reading have such a windows like 1200-1500 nowadays?
Yes. I too had that question in mind. The Honda City Service coupon says 5000 Kms / 3months and things like that. There is no Km or Time Span given.

But the ASS is very lenient and they accept up to two weeks of service time delays.
Old 17th November 2014, 17:17   #310
BHPian

What is the service interval for a Toyota Innova Diesel? My local garage says 5K kms.
Old 17th November 2014, 17:46   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post

BTW does the odo reading have such a windows like 1200-1500 nowadays? My Ford manual specifies everything spot on leaving no room for doubts. Eg: First service @ 5000 kms or 3 months from the date of purchase, whichever comes earlier. So based on ODO reading 4500-5000 will be fine, and time period 85-90 days. Not a km more than that, not a day more than that.
I can confirm that my Vista's manual shows intervals for distance and so does a Grand i10's. I'll need to double check on the city and alto I have access to
Old 6th December 2014, 10:33   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Recently I tried changing the oil filter on my Versa. It is stuck underneath like in an Alto and not easily approachable like in a MJD engine.

Ok, so now used an adjustable oil filter wrench, but the thing just wouldn't budge. Then drove the car about a bit and tried again and the filter would move about just a bit. Used a strap type wrench and it just kept slipping off. Finally went to a neighbourhood mechanic and he used a socket. A kind of cap that fits on the oil filter and it came off in a jiffy.

Now where the hell can I find such a socket cap for a maruti oil filter online. And what would be the exact specifications. It would be a huge relief if I could change the oil filter myself as well.

Would a 65 mm cap be enough because the diameter of the oil filter seems to be 60mm.
Old 6th December 2014, 11:11   #313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Now where the hell can I find such a socket cap for a maruti oil filter online.
There are several types of oil filter removal tools available.

One is a strap on type tool like this:

Maintain the car yourself. A service checklist-67000.jpg

Another one is a socket which fits at the exposed end of the oil filter and requires a ratchet to turn it:

Maintain the car yourself. A service checklist-otc6901.jpg

Another one is a plier type which has tooth like protrusions and grabs on to the end and is self-adjustable depending on the size:

Maintain the car yourself. A service checklist-w54311.jpg

You’ll have to pick one depending on the type/size of filter on your car. I like the plier type. Been hunting one for sometime now.

Source of pics: Google images
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 11:29   #314
Senior - BHPian

I need the socket. I hate the strap one or the plier or the adjustable type. The socket can exert the maximum possible torque on the delicate plastic filter that today's vehicles have.

I tried a cuff type filter wrench on the filter and slowly it started to disfigure the filter the harder I tried. the strap type filter wrench will simply keep slipping if too much pressure is needed and thus my insistence on a socket. But these things seem to be simply unobtainable in spares market in my neck of woods. Amazon has a list of sockets but god knows which one fits on the Versa filter.

Would this be enough ?
http://www.amazon.in/Drive-Flutes-Fi...+filter+wrench

how the hell do I know without trying it on first.

Last edited by lurker : 6th December 2014 at 11:31.
Old 6th December 2014, 11:42   #315
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
how the hell do I know without trying it on first.
Can you access the filter easily? I doubt that. If you can, measure this dimension from the end of the filter cap:

Name:  Dimensions.PNG
Views: 1487
Size:  15.6 KB

The socket can be chosen based on that.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th December 2014 at 11:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks