Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2015, 15:06   #436
BANNED

Re: TATA nano - List of ALL issues

This is the first issue on my Nano after 25k kms of delightful ownership.

Since the past 50-70 kms, the clutch has begun to slip on its own. The revs increase on their own when the accelerator pedal is pressed especially in higher gears and when the car goes up a flyover, for example.

I tried to tighten and loosen the clutch but didn't make a lot of difference.

Has anyone else faced this? If so, any ideas?
Old 22nd June 2015, 16:56   #437
BHPian

I had an issue of wobbling on my car, more pronounced when loaded with people or while climbing inclines. At higher speeds it wouldn't appear. I saw that my rear left tyre had a 6 inch long cut on the thread. But I didn't think that it alone would lead to the wobbling.

Gave it to concorde, who kept it for 4 days. In the end they called me and said that they will have to change the lower arm. Under warranty!. I would have to replace tyres, to which I agreed and bought two new Bridgestones from them itself (2400+300/each). The wobbles are not present now.
Attached Thumbnails
TATA nano - List of ALL issues-p_20150505_180109_1.jpg  

Last edited by nijelj : 22nd June 2015 at 16:59.
nijelj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 07:01   #438
BHPian

Mixed feelings when I see that I was the last person to post on this thread on 22nd June. Happy that no major issues from other owners, sad that I have to post again.

The starting issue has come back to haunt me. Twist ignition key and nothing happens. Tried off and cranking again repeatedly. On the fourth attempt, the starter motor started turning the engine very energetically but no start even after 10 sec of cranking. No lights on cluster while doing this. In the end it started after I rotated the key backwards by a few degrees while cranking.

Run up to this issue was the same that I've mentioned earlier. A/C running with vehicle speed very less for a long time. I was parked at a hospital yesterday night waiting for a friend. Since dengue cases are on the rise, I kept the A/C running for 15 minutes while parked. Before switching off the engine, I waited for the A/C fan, radiator fan to cut off. Walked to the entrance and came back with my friend in 10 min. Tried to start the car with this result. Any ideas for trouble shooting?
Old 10th July 2015, 22:40   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Any ideas for trouble shooting?
How old / new is the battery? If the battery is fine, what about the charging circuit? Is your alternator ok?
Old 12th July 2015, 15:39   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
How old / new is the battery? If the battery is fine, what about the charging circuit? Is your alternator ok?
Like I said, the starter motor was energetically cranking the engine on the 4th attempt. So I am not sure whether it can be a battery/charging issue.
Old 12th July 2015, 16:14   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
This is the first issue on my Nano after 25k kms of delightful ownership.

Since the past 50-70 kms, the clutch has begun to slip on its own. The revs increase on their own when the accelerator pedal is pressed especially in higher gears and when the car goes up a flyover, for example.

I tried to tighten and loosen the clutch but didn't make a lot of difference.

Has anyone else faced this? If so, any ideas?
I have a Tata Nano Lx which has done 34,700 Kms. I am facing hard clutch problem. The gear shifting is smooth but the clutch is hard. And the ride is not smooth. The car doesn't accelerates or moves uniformly. Yesterday I took my car to the Tata Service Centre and I was told that the car needs Clutch plate overhaul. I am not convinced with the fact that I need to change the clutch plate as I have read that the clutch plate life is more than 60000 kms. Also I am getting a decent milage of 22 km pl in City and 24 kmpl on highways. I am still confused about the replacement of clutch so early. The Clutch is not slipping in my case. Can anyone tell me if I really need to replace the clutch plate assembly?
Old 12th July 2015, 18:43   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Walked to the entrance and came back with my friend in 10 min. Tried to start the car with this result. Any ideas for trouble shooting?
I get this problem sometimes, if the car was parked for a fww minutes only. Cold starts after a long halt are no problem, but parking the car for a few minutes while I go to a shop etc. sometimes shows up this.

I turn the key, nothing happens. I turn it a few times, nothing happens. Then I just switch off the ignition and wait for a minute and then it starts fine.

This is a very random problem. The car always starts in first crank in mornings and evenings in my daily home office runs.
Old 12th July 2015, 19:07   #443
BHPian

Is vapor lock possible in smaller engines like nano? I was reading through the post and it reminded me of this story
http://journal.naveeng.com/2007/10/1...eneral-motors/
Old 12th July 2015, 21:21   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaheer5776 View Post
I have read that the clutch plate life is more than 60000 kms.
The life of the clutch is notoriously low on the Nano.

I have replaced under warranty the 1st clutch at 20,ooo kms. Now at 42,000 kms , I feel that this clutch is on its way out too.

Luckily , it is not very expensive, less than Rs.1,500/-
john doe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2015, 21:35   #445
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Luckily , it is not very expensive, less than Rs.1,500/-
No, I paid INR4500.00 for the clutch kit. I have the invoice from Concorde Motors.
Old 12th July 2015, 21:37   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if I really need to replace the clutch plate assembly?
Try replacing the clutch cable first. It should be done under warranty, and even otherwise it should cost a couple of hundred bucks at most. Post that the clutch should hopefully be better.

My Nano Lx has completed 3 years and 51000 kms and still on the original clutch. And I am no gentle driver. I like to sometimes push the car to its limits, I sometimes like taking off from traffic lights to leave others in the dust, so preserving the clutch isn't on top of my agenda. So unless there was some manufacturing defect with your particular clutch assembly or if you regularly and generously slip the clutch, it should last much longer than 30k.

More than a year ago when I had taken my car to the nearest Tata service centre, they had suggeated the clutch was due for a replacement. Their argument was the car had covered 40000 and I shouldn't expect too much from the clutch any more. Fortunately I knew better. Please make sure you don't fall for such scams just because the clutch kit is cheap. The Nano may have been built to a price but it should still last as long as a pricier hatch.

@sathish81, even I was aware of the GM Pontiac incident, but I cannot comment on whether the Nano too is susceptible to the same problem. The first known such incident for my Nano happened on our way back from Goa, when we had stopped at Karad for dinner. It was a good hour we spent after which the car refused to crank. Again, after a few tries in vain and then just waiting for a minute the car started on first crank. Other times the halts were in minutes. So no conclusive evidence to suggest it's related to engine cooling.

Last edited by honeybee : 12th July 2015 at 21:50.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2015, 21:39   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gave it to concorde, who kept it for 4 days. In the end they called me and said that they will have to change the lower arm. Under warranty!. I would have to replace tyres, to which I agreed and bought two new Bridgestones from them itself (2400+300/each). The wobbles are not present now.
Did they cover it under warranty without any hassles? I am asking this because the last time TASC asked me that if the arm is bent then I will have to pay it from my pocket to get it replaced, it is not covered under warranty.

BTW, can I use your case as reference for TASC in case they deny warranty on arm replacement?

Last edited by Eddy : 12th July 2015 at 22:04. Reason: fixing quote
Old 13th July 2015, 11:15   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Try replacing the Clutch Cable first. It should be done under warranty, and even otherwise it should cost a couple of hundred bucks at most. Post that the clutch should hopefully be better.
I requested the Tata Service Centre guy to replace the clutch cable but he said that it wont make any difference. He didn't even care to check the Cable. Now I am thinking to get a second opinion from other Non Authorised Garage. Is it fine if I ask the Non Authorised Garage to change the Cable? My heart says that there is no need for Clutch replacement but my mind knows that the Clutch is hard and I have to find out the issue somehow!

@john doe: I think you are using your car in traffic mostly. But Still I feel Clutch should last longer at least more than the specified warranty period!
zaheer5776 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 11:36   #449
BHPian

Quote:
I requested the Tata Service Centre guy to replace the clutch cable but he said that it wont make any difference. He didn't even care to check the Cable. Now I am thinking to get a second opinion from other Non Authorised Garage. Is it fine if I ask the Non Authorised Garage to change the Cable? My heart says that there is no need for Clutch replacement but my mind knows that the Clutch is hard and I have to find out the issue somehow!
No problem in taking a 2nd opinion from a local garage. And cable is the first thing to get checked for a hard clutch on a low mile vehicle.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 12:00   #450
BHPian

Quote:
but the clutch is hard. And the ride is not smooth. The car doesn't accelerate or moves uniformly.
The above statement by Zaheer is why I think that the clutch is gone. In any clutch related complaint otherwise, the cable is the first thing to be replaced of course.

Definitely go and get a 2nd opinion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks