Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2016, 20:14   #541
BHPian

TATA nano - List of ALL issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by JitendraK78 View Post
After getting the car back, we have observed that the power is lacking.

Did the problem resolve? If not and it's just a guess, but perhaps you could try doing an ECU reset. Disconnect the negative battery terminal for 15-20 minutes and reconnect. The ECU will recalibrate for the new sensor as you drive around for some time and might function accordingly.
Old 26th December 2016, 11:15   #542
Senior - BHPian

Re: TATA nano - List of ALL issues

My Nano overheated yesterday, there was beep warning sound and the overheat sign on the meter lit-up. Checked the coolant level, it was at minimum, any clues?
Old 7th January 2017, 17:26   #543
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Very disappointed with my Nano Twist XT. Bought a 2014 August car done 4K kms in July 2016. It had extended warranty so I purchased it. Just 6 months of use and 6k kms later the car has the following issues-

1. Left front shocker replacement.
2. Front wheel bearings replacement.
3. Gear oil leakage.

The current ODO is at 9781 kms. The right shocker was replaced sometime back as I had hit a big stone and the right tyre went over it. This happened when a car Waiting on the road side suddenly took a u-turn. This was done at my FNG.

I thought my driving went wrong until today morning when I interacted with a few nano owners at Concorde Baner in Pune. All of them had suspension related issues within one year of ownership. My WagonR and Corolla have been driving 90% of the time by me and have faced no such issues. But the Nano had major replacements even before hitting the 10k kms mark. Overall I am very disappointed with TML quality. The only reason I had picked up the twist was because I thought there were major improvements and I wouldn't be facing quality related issues but I was wrong.

There was a lot of rush at the svc today so I got to interact with other vehicle owners too. All of us had one thing in common- our cars visited atleast twice apart from regular service to get niggles sorted. Nano may have some amazing features & it maybe a terrific package but at the end of the day the ownership experience is enhanced by the overall quality of the product and not the features. I was very close to picking up a zest in 2015. Glad I didn't.

On the good part, the SA called me to tell that he will be replacing everything under warranty. No mails and shouting at the customer care. I appreciate Tata for that but why should these issues arise in a car which never leaves city limits and has done just about 9.8k kms. My dad has asked me to sell the car after repairs but I guess I will wait till 2017 December. The warranty expires in 2018 August. If issues continue, I will be back to the japs.

The car has impressed my family as a perfect city car but these issues are frightening.

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 7th January 2017 at 17:28.
Old 22nd February 2017, 10:16   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
My Nano overheated yesterday, there was beep warning sound and the overheat sign on the meter lit-up. Checked the coolant level, it was at minimum, any clues?
I have a similar problem, the coolant completely dries out within 4-5k kms. The engine overheat indicator comes on and the keeps beeping. Once I top up with coolant the problem is resolved for another 4-5k kms.

Question to other Nano owners - Does the coolant dry out so quickly? Other cars that I have do not have this problem. TASS confirmed that there is no leak in the coolant tank or radiator. The Nano does 2k kms a month and it is quite frustrating since this problem comes up every few months.

Its a pre-owned 2014 Nano with 22k on the odometer.
Old 22nd February 2017, 17:01   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy.tripathy View Post
I have a similar problem, the coolant completely dries out within 4-5k kms. The engine overheat indicator comes on and the keeps beeping. Once I top up with coolant the problem is resolved for another 4-5k kms.

Question to other Nano owners - Does the coolant dry out so quickly? Other cars that I have do not have this problem. TASS confirmed that there is no leak in the coolant tank or radiator. The Nano does 2k kms a month and it is quite frustrating since this problem comes up every few months.

Its a pre-owned 2014 Nano with 22k on the odometer.
In my case a hose was leaking, this was told to me by TASC, I did'nt go into detail of it. Get the head gasket checked, coolant does dry out when the head gasket is blown. Or there is a very minor leakage.

To check if the head gasket is blown
1) Simply open the radiator cap (while the engine is cool)
2) Start the engine and wait for the temperature to rise untill the radiator fan starts.
3) At this point if the coolant boils out of the radiator, then your head gasket is blown.

Also, check if the coolant has any oil residue in it when you open the coolant cap, if there are oil droplets in coolant then also it confirms a blown head gasket case.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 17:33   #546
BANNED

Just when I thought all the issues with our nano were sorted the clutch has started giving issues. The car keeps revving in the 3rd/4th gear like it's in neutral but the speedo takes its sweet time. The clutch has become very spongy. In jan 2017 when the Nano went for the EPS check light issue at Concorde Baner, I had mentioned about the clutch then. The SA said it feels fine but he will check it. They replaced the input drive shaft seal due to leakage and majority of the components from suspension to erase the EPS light. Everything covered under warranty. Finally they asked me to pay for the right lower arm citing an accidental damage the moment I asked them for a loaner car. They already had wasted over 12 days so I paid for the lower arm and got it back. The steering was making some noise while turning as it was scraping against the dashboard part. I let go off it and thought of doing it during the next service. Our car has barely done 800kms since we got it back. Now the clutch is acting up. How difficult is it for the technicians to verify a complaint?
Now first and the foremost how does a car's clutch give Up in just 11k kms. But again clutch is a wear and tear component so I decided to get it replaced. Concorde quoted 4.5k for the job. I decided to buy the parts from them and get it done outside. My brother had enquired about the clutch kit with the store and they had quoted 1.5k. The moment we went there after discussing with the service manager the price quoted was 2.2k. Kits were not available with them now and they were going to give us the clutch and pressure plates with release bearings separately. I checked with another dealer (Pandit Auto) and he quoted 1.5k for separate parts & the kit. The only reason I am getting it done outside is because I have no assurance of the workmanship even after spending 4.5k. In case of my FNG atleast I know the work will be done perfectly. At 11k kms the whole car rattles as if it has been to the Mongol rally and this car has been outside pune just once. I don't think we are ever going to buy a Tata product after this. My cousins Alto 800 of the same year which has done more than 25k kms feels way better than my Nano. I will be getting the parts tomorrow and will get the clutch replaced outside. I just hope nothing else goes wrong now.

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 22nd February 2017 at 17:37.
Old 23rd February 2017, 02:48   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
... The car keeps revving in the 3rd/4th gear like it's in neutral but the speedo takes its sweet time. The clutch has become very spongy. In jan 2017 when the Nano went for the EPS check light issue at Concorde Baner, I had mentioned about the clutch then. The SA said it feels fine but he will check it. They replaced the input drive shaft seal due to leakage and majority of the components from suspension to erase the EPS light. Everything covered under warranty. Finally they asked me to pay for the right lower arm citing an accidental damage the moment I asked them for a loaner car. ....
Now first and the foremost how does a car's clutch give Up in just 11k kms. ...
The friction plate is worn. May be because the previous owner was a lousy driver. Ask the mechanic if all components need replacement. Perhaps a change of the friction plate alone will suffice.

Are you sure that the car has genuinely done that many kms only and is not accidental? Why did the previous owner sell in in the first place? The whole thing seems fishy. I have just done 7k kms in my Nano CNG and the problems you are facing seems improbable.
Old 23rd February 2017, 10:47   #548
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterace View Post
The friction plate is worn. May be because the previous owner was a lousy driver. Ask the mechanic if all components need replacement. Perhaps a change of the friction plate alone will suffice.

Are you sure that the car has genuinely done that many kms only and is not accidental? Why did the previous owner sell in in the first place? The whole thing seems fishy. I have just done 7k kms in my Nano CNG and the problems you are facing seems improbable.

I had got the history verified from the service center. Even my tata service connect app shows no issues. The previous owner had 5 cars and this was bought for their daughters college commute. She completed her course and moved elsewhere so they decided to sell it. Many nano's that I had come across during the purchase had less kms as they were used only in the city.

Will ask my mechanic to check it today. Thank you for the input.
Old 23rd February 2017, 12:18   #549

Mod note: Post edited, please take time to use proper punctuation marks and space. This helps in readability. Thanks.

I have a 2012 model Nano, clocked 40000.It is my daily commute instead of a two wheeler.

Last 4.5 years of use, faced very few issues:

1- Three times exhaust bolts become loose and started making noise.

2- One day when i was driving my break pedal went all the way down, It was a shock and after pumping the pedal it become normal and completed the journey. Same incident repeated after two days and took to my mechanic and diagnosed the problem due to mass cylinder, replaced it and so far no issues faced.

Other than this not faced much issues.

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd February 2017 at 12:40.
Old 26th February 2017, 06:37   #550
BHPian

Finally, the nano era is likely to see its end ? Rumours are there that Tata stopping the nano production.
Old 27th February 2017, 10:49   #551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
In my case a hose was leaking, this was told to me by TASC, I did'nt go into detail of it. Get the head gasket checked, coolant does dry out when the head gasket is blown. Or there is a very minor leakage.

To check if the head gasket is blown
1) Simply open the radiator cap (while the engine is cool)
2) Start the engine and wait for the temperature to rise untill the radiator fan starts.
3) At this point if the coolant boils out of the radiator, then your head gasket is blown.

Also, check if the coolant has any oil residue in it when you open the coolant cap, if there are oil droplets in coolant then also it confirms a blown head gasket case.
Thanks mercedised.

I did run the above steps this weekend to see if it could be a blown head gasket. The coolant didn't boil out but it overflowed out after about 10 mins of running the engine. I believe it confirms that its a blown head gasket. How expensive is the repair and does it mean that its the start of engine trouble, may be oil leaks etc in the future ? The Nano will be going for service next weekend, I will talk to TASS to check for a potential blown head gasket.
Old 27th February 2017, 11:19   #552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy.tripathy View Post
Thanks mercedised.

I did run the above steps this weekend to see if it could be a blown head gasket. The coolant didn't boil out but it overflowed out after about 10 mins of running the engine. I believe it confirms that its a blown head gasket. How expensive is the repair and does it mean that its the start of engine trouble, may be oil leaks etc in the future ? The Nano will be going for service next weekend, I will talk to TASS to check for a potential blown head gasket.
Yes, it confirms that it is a blown head gasket that is causing the problem. Just get the head gasket replaced along with engine oil, oil filter. The head gasket replacement might cost you something around 2000 INR.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 22:10   #553
Senior - BHPian

I picked up a pre-wned 2012 Nano recently and hoping to improve a few things with it.

1) Anyone upgraded the tyres? If so which size did you choose and how is the improvement?

2) Anyone upgraded the rear dampers with any suitable dampers from another car? Looking to reduce the bumpiness at the rear.

3) The steering is pretty hard to turn if the car is not rolling. Is this normal?

4) When doing lock to lock turns the steering is hard as it nears full lock. Is this normal?

5) Planing to replace the rear bumper with the one which has the cutout at the top.
Old 24th April 2017, 00:03   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I picked up a pre-wned 2012 Nano recently and hoping to improve a few things with it.

1) Anyone upgraded the tyres? If so which size did you choose and how is the improvement?

2) Anyone upgraded the rear dampers with any suitable dampers from another car? Looking to reduce the bumpiness at the rear.

3) The steering is pretty hard to turn if the car is not rolling. Is this normal?

4) When doing lock to lock turns the steering is hard as it nears full lock. Is this normal?

5) Planing to replace the rear bumper with the one which has the cutout at the top.
1) You can try 145/70 12 (m 800) tyres up front. Otherwise tyre size is fine.

2) Nano rear is less bumpy than front. Maybe shocks are worn, replace if yes. Check tyre pressure too. Also, old tyres harden and get bumpy. Change if older than 7 years or hard even if tread is there.

3) Non PS is hard when standstill.

4) Sounds like a progressive rack, but Nano has constant ratio. Check rack boots. Rack may have rusted due to water entry. Clean, grease and change boots.
fighterace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2017, 22:02   #555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterace View Post
1) You can try 145/70 12 (m 800) tyres up front. Otherwise tyre size is fine.

2) Nano rear is less bumpy than front. Maybe shocks are worn, replace if yes. Check tyre pressure too. Also, old tyres harden and get bumpy. Change if older than 7 years or hard even if tread is there.

3) Non PS is hard when standstill.

4) Sounds like a progressive rack, but Nano has constant ratio. Check rack boots. Rack may have rusted due to water entry. Clean, grease and change boots.
Thanks mate.

1) Right now proceeding with replacing the rear tyres. Front is in far better shape and just 2 year old, so leaving it for now. Have finalised MRZ ZEC 155/65/12 for rear tyres.

2) Have given the car for service at Tata A.S.S will ask them to check.

3) Relieved So hoping nothing wrong there, SA has confirmed the same.

4) Removed the spare tyre and checked the rack myself couple of days ago. The boot seems fine and intact.

Have asked them to replace the clutch kit and flywheel as the clutch was very hard. Will be taking delivery tomorrow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks