Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2017, 22:15   #556
Senior - BHPian

Re: TATA nano - List of ALL issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I picked up a pre-wned 2012 Nano recently and hoping to improve a few things with it.

1) Anyone upgraded the tyres? If so which size did you choose and how is the improvement?

2) Anyone upgraded the rear dampers with any suitable dampers from another car? Looking to reduce the bumpiness at the rear.

3) The steering is pretty hard to turn if the car is not rolling. Is this normal?

4) When doing lock to lock turns the steering is hard as it nears full lock. Is this normal?

5) Planing to replace the rear bumper with the one which has the cutout at the top.
1) I replaced my front tyre with identical size 135 R 12. I will never upgrade since there is no power steering.

2) Maybe can try putting dampers from Gen-X if that's possible.

3) Steering on my car was hard before service, has improved a lot after that. Do check with SA if any oils needs to be replaced/replenished.

4) Yes it does, I feel its the steering return mechanism working here.

5) There is no need to replace bumper unless its damaged.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2017, 09:28   #557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
1) I replaced my front tyre with identical size 135 R 12. I will never upgrade since there is no power steering.

2) Maybe can try putting dampers from Gen-X if that's possible.

3) Steering on my car was hard before service, has improved a lot after that. Do check with SA if any oils needs to be replaced/replenished.

4) Yes it does, I feel its the steering return mechanism working here.

5) There is no need to replace bumper unless its damaged.
1) Yes i agree, I don't want to make the steering harder. Before i decide to upsize i will put old 155 tyres at front and check how it feels.

2) Will check with Tata service.

3) Thanks. I will ask the sa to look into ball joint and tie rod end conditionn.

4) Ok. Good to know this is also normal and there's nothing wrong.

5) As a part of reducing heat build up I believe that rear bumper with opening at the top would vent the heat outside. Without any other vents on top of engine compartment and with closed bumper the heat would be trapped there. I removed the engine cover and checked and my Nano doesn't have heat reflective layer underneath the lid or on the firewall inside engine compartment. I guess this was done on later Nanos.
Old 26th April 2017, 19:24   #558
Senior - BHPian

Took delivery of the car from tata a.s.s this evening after clutch kit replacement. Now the clutch feels like a switch, its either on or off, and i am finding it hard to modulate the clutch and have stalled the vehicle quite a number of times. Before i gave it at tata ass for replacement the clutch was hard but I didn't have any trouble modulating the clutch and i rarely ever stalled it. Took it for a spin to se if i could get used to it but i stalled a few times again, and I came and parked the car at home. Not happy with the car anymore.
Old 27th April 2017, 08:22   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Now the clutch feels like a switch, its either on or off, and i am finding it hard to modulate the clutch and have stalled the vehicle quite a number of times.
Definitely doesn't sound normal. Maybe the clutch needs to be broken in but consider sending the car back for adjustment. Even a new clutch isn't supposed to be binary.
Old 27th April 2017, 17:00   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
Definitely doesn't sound normal. Maybe the clutch needs to be broken in but consider sending the car back for adjustment. Even a new clutch isn't supposed to be binary.
Yes absolutely, the only other binary clutch i experienced was with our old i10 with a worn out clutch which was being used by dad. New clutches shouldn't feel that way. The clutch cable was not changed, maybe if the cable was also replaced it would have been better.

Quote:
Not happy with the car anymore.
When Trivandrum Motors (Tata A.S.S) called me for feedback i told them about the issue and they agreed to get the car picked up and looked into. They sent their mobile unit to my home and they were able to fix the clutch bite issue. Now it feels a lot better (to me) and similar to how it was before. So happy with the car again and the service too

Last edited by Sankar : 27th April 2017 at 17:02.
Old 27th April 2017, 21:54   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks mate.

Have asked them to replace the clutch kit and flywheel as the clutch was very hard. Will be taking delivery tomorrow.
Just change the clutch cable first. 99% of the times it takes care of a hard clutch.

Edit: Just saw your new posts. I feel you have done an unnecessary replacement. Was the clutch slipping on hard acceleration? Else there is no reason to replace it. Also, a new clutch does feel like a switch and needs to be broken in. Alternatively the mechanic will do some adjustment at the cost of clutch life. I faced the same when I had done a clutch job on my dear 800.

Last edited by fighterace : 27th April 2017 at 22:03. Reason: saw newer posts.
fighterace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2017, 12:38   #562
Senior - BHPian

Changed the battery today, replaced the old exide with Amaron Go 38B20R and paid Rs.3300/- after exchange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterace View Post
Was the clutch slipping on hard acceleration? Else there is no reason to replace it. Also, a new clutch does feel like a switch and needs to be broken in. Alternatively the mechanic will do some adjustment at the cost of clutch life. I faced the same when I had done a clutch job on my dear 800.
Yes clutch was slipping when accelerating and also there was a humming noise occasionally while releasing the clutch. The humming was due to the worn release bearing as per service advisor; now both slippage and humming noise has been rectified.
Old 1st May 2017, 18:49   #563
Senior - BHPian

Changed both headlights to new genx type lights with clear indicator lens and "nano" imprint. Now the front looks better without the amber strip.
TATA nano - List of ALL issues-20170501_181458.jpg

TATA nano - List of ALL issues-20170501_181433.jpg

I thought about changing the front bumper to new genX type but i guess i'd leave that for now I'll miss the "storm trooper" style fog lights if i do that.

Anyone know which is the headlight height adjustment screw? There are two at the back, one straight down on the indicator side and the other behind main beam side.

Last edited by Sankar : 1st May 2017 at 19:07.
Old 1st May 2017, 21:17   #564
BHPian

Quote:
I thought about changing the front bumper to new genX type but i guess i'd leave that for now I'll miss the "storm trooper" style fog lights if i do that.
That is a really clean Nano. Do you mind sharing the numbers (price, kms etc.)?

Leave the front bumper alone. The Genx may not even fit. BTW, I cant help but notice that the chin spoiler is painted. Not so in my car. If you can, do change the rear bumper as the upper grille really helps cooling esp. when stopped or running slow. Or even better, why not do some DIY grille cutting in the existing one?

Last edited by fighterace : 1st May 2017 at 21:19.
Old 1st May 2017, 21:38   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is a really clean Nano. Do you mind sharing the numbers (price, kms etc.)?
2012 LX, single owner, done 28000Km. The car has AMC and the service history is proper. Price paid is slightly lower than the IBB valuation price given on this date for this model & year.

Quote:
Leave the front bumper alone. The Genx may not even fit. BTW, I cant help but notice that the chin spoiler is painted. Not so in my car. If you can, do change the rear bumper as the upper grille really helps cooling esp. when stopped or running slow. Or even better, why not do some DIY grille cutting in the existing one?
Yes, the chin was painted by the dealer (true value) while fixing the scratched bumper before they handed over the car. I will fix the rear bumper with cutout, had been on my mind since the day i purchased this for the very same reason - to reduce heat buildup.

Quote:
Anyone know which is the headlight height adjustment screw? There are two at the back, one straight down on the indicator side and the other behind main beam side.
Figured this out. Its the one straight down on the indicator's side.
Old 1st May 2017, 22:35   #566
BHPian

Quote:
2012 LX, single owner, done 28000Km. The car has AMC and the service history is proper. Price paid is slightly lower than the IBB valuation price given on this date for this model & year.

Yes, the chin was painted by the dealer (true value) while fixing the scratched bumper before they handed over the car.
Less than IBB to a dealer, the previous owner would have sold it for peanuts. BTW, what AMC is it? Did it cover the clutch replacement?

Quote:
Figured this out. Its the one straight down on the indicator's side.
Thank you for sharing the information. Can you please post a picture?

Last edited by fighterace : 1st May 2017 at 22:42.
Old 2nd May 2017, 09:23   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
But there are 2 error codes registered when I tried scanning with Torque Pro OBD. P1615 and U2423. I was not successful in getting what they stand for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Were you successful in finding out what these errors are? I was just checking today and saw the P1615 code. No lamp. For two times in the last two days, I had faced that same " starting and then switching off just after cranking" issue .
My Nano too has the P1615 fault code logged in the ecu. I cleared it once but it returned. I'm not facing any particular issue though. Since the battery is new now let me clear it once again and check.

Quote:
Less than IBB to a dealer, the previous owner would have sold it for peanuts. BTW, what AMC is it? Did it cover the clutch replacement?

Thank you for sharing the information. Can you please post a picture?
Clutch wasn't covered in the AMC they said it covers only regular servicing and I guess the AMC has ran out now.

This is my old light, but it works the same for genx lights. The channel sort of plastic moulding you see in the photo above the adjustment screw is a guide which lets one access the adjustment screw from the top with the lights mounted.
TATA nano - List of ALL issues-20170502_090236.jpg

Last edited by Sankar : 2nd May 2017 at 09:26.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2017, 23:34   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Changed both headlights to new genx type lights with clear indicator lens and "nano" imprint. Now the front looks better without the amber strip.
Attachment 1635039

Attachment 1635040
Did you get it done at the Tata Authorized service station. I wanted the same change on my 2014 Nano Twist XT, but the service station guys told me that the new headlamp assembly wont fit the old car.

Was it a straight fit or you made some small adjustments ?
Old 10th May 2017, 08:52   #569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittal_v2002 View Post
Did you get it done at the Tata Authorized service station. I wanted the same change on my 2014 Nano Twist XT, but the service station guys told me that the new headlamp assembly wont fit the old car.

Was it a straight fit or you made some small adjustments ?
I did it myself, no modifications necessary and takes about 15 minutes to do both.
Old 10th May 2017, 09:48   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1635039

Attachment 1635040

I was planning on doing the same. How much did the headlights cost? Im also planning to install alloys on the car. Any suggestions?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks