Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2017, 16:12   #616
BHPian

Re: Tata nano LX problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.narayana rao View Post
Dear sir,
i own a tata nano lx 2011 model, from march2011. i am a senior citizen and use the car sparingly, mostly locally. The vehicle was purchased from M/S Tejaswi motors, Madhapur,Hyderabad.
I do not know if got a bad car with sub standard parts,or all Nano cars are like this.
I have this impression since i had to change so many parts during the last 6 years ,starting from the
first fortnight of purchase and clocking only 7000Km(seven thousand km only),and the list is,1.comboswitch,2.starter motor-2times, in addition to the first mandatory replacement by Tata Motors,in the first year,3.wiper blade,4.AC control module on the dash board,5.AC condenser,6.AC fan,7.Front wheelcylinders for brakes,8.Horn.I was charged for all these parts+labour for all these parts except the first starter motor and AC console. The radiator also started leaking, inspite of filling the liquids by service station,from where i bought the car.
My latest problem is that the wiper does not work intermittently, (the other medium and and high speed are working)and from general information, i gathered that it may be a relay problem or the double stalk problem.
I will be highly thankful if some body in the forum can help me in locating the relay, along with disassembly tips so that i can get a spare parts and get them fixed,since i do not want to go to the service station, who i think are having poor knowledge of Nano.Also, i will be highly thankful if some information is given on getting the workshop manual for Tata nano LX 2011 model.
My apologies for a rather long message.
Regards,
S.Narayana Rao
Since the other speeds are working, I would start with the controller. Any good auto parts shop would be storing it and a good auto electrician would be able to fix it. The authorised service centres are a pain and are best avoided once the warranty is over. Since you are maintaining a Fiat, I am sure that you will be able to manage the Nano as well. Please check oriparts.com if you are the diagram types.
fighterace is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 16:34   #617
BHPian

Re: Tata nano LX problems

Quote:
Dear sir,
i own a tata nano lx 2011 model, from march2011. i am a senior citizen and use the car sparingly, mostly locally. The vehicle was purchased from M/S Tejaswi motors, Madhapur,Hyderabad.
I do not know if got a bad car with sub standard parts,or all Nano cars are like this.
I feel sad to see you go through so much pain in the process of maintaining a simple car. I had the 2011 Nano. The control stalk was replaced, drive shaft broke, engime misfired and the list is rather long. If I were in your place, I would try to sell the car as soon as possible for whatever price you get. The problem with keeping it is that it is a money pit. In 1 year I spent about 10% of the car cost on repairs. Then I exchanged it for a Nano Twist. That car is much better and you do not experience part failure at all. Tata used bad quality parts in the initial batch. Very soon, you would see rusting on body panels. It makes no sense to spend time, money and energy on a product that is unreliable. Sell it and get a used Nano Twist is what I suggest. You might get around 50,000 for the car and a Twist costs 1.3lakhs in the used market. You may asily end up spending more than the market price of the car within 2 years. Best is to cut losses and get a product that is more reliable. for the car and a Twist costs 1.3lakhs in the used market. You may easily end up spending more than the market price of the car within 2 years. Best is to cut losses and get a product that is more reliable.

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd September 2017 at 16:45. Reason: Quote & post fixed.
Old 22nd September 2017, 21:54   #618

Re: TATA nano - List of ALL issues

Thanks for the advise.Any idea about the latest AMT Nano? But I think, our sole dependency on the show room will remain especially for Nano,owing to its compactness (?)and not wide spread information about the location of parts etc., in the absence of a service manual availability even on request.I think Tata Motors wants to keep the information for themselves,and without giving adequate and reliable service.
Old 22nd September 2017, 23:32   #619
BHPian

Hi Guys,

The original Exide battery of my Nano (Sept. 2014) has died on me. It was running fine two weeks ago with no issues whatsoever but then we left on a short holiday and when we got back it was dead.
Tried jump starting and push starting it but no success. The battery guy says the battery is finished and I will need to fit a new one. He says while trying to charge the battery it was getting heated up and not taking the charge. Personally, I don't trust him or his story but not knowing any other reliable battery places am forced to go with it.

Presently he has given me a service battery to use till he gets the new battery on Monday.

He has suggested that I fit a 40 amp battery instead of the original 32 amp battery as all Nano owners are doing due to 32 amps being too small.

My question is : Is it OK to fit a 40 amp battery in the Nano. Has anyone done it and, if so, and ill effects? Is it likely to put more load on the alternator or cause damage to the electrical system?

Your inputs would be much appreciated.

Regards,
SS
Old 23rd September 2017, 02:09   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the advise.Any idea about the latest AMT Nano? But I think, our sole dependency on the show room will remain especially for Nano,owing to its compactness (?)and not wide spread information about the location of parts etc., in the absence of a service manual availability even on request.I think Tata Motors wants to keep the information for themselves,and without giving adequate and reliable service.
The GenX Nano is a really nice car, and if you feel up to it you can go for the AMT. It is a good city car and it can handle highways as well. Tata had made significant changes to the Nano in 2012, and I believe all vehicles from that model year onwards are of a much better quality. I personally drive a 2016 CNG Nano which has done 15000 kms in one year and have no reason to complain. You may go for any of the updated Nanos in the used market, they are a good deal on account of the depreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,

The original Exide battery of my Nano (Sept. 2014) has died on me. It was running fine two weeks ago with no issues whatsoever but then we left on a short holiday and when we got back it was dead.
Tried jump starting and push starting it but no success. The battery guy says the battery is finished and I will need to fit a new one. He says while trying to charge the battery it was getting heated up and not taking the charge. Personally, I don't trust him or his story but not knowing any other reliable battery places am forced to go with it.

Presently he has given me a service battery to use till he gets the new battery on Monday.

He has suggested that I fit a 40 amp battery instead of the original 32 amp battery as all Nano owners are doing due to 32 amps being too small.

My question is : Is it OK to fit a 40 amp battery in the Nano. Has anyone done it and, if so, and ill effects? Is it likely to put more load on the alternator or cause damage to the electrical system?

Regards,
SS
My CNG Nano runs on a 27 Ah battery as there is no space for a larger one, and it is running fine. If you can fit the 40 Ah under the seat, then go for it. But 32 Ah will suffice as well. Check the prices and decide. The alternator is rated at 70 A for the AC model, so don’t worry about it. Jeeps with 80 Ah batteries have alternators of lesser power.
Old 23rd September 2017, 09:45   #621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Service or workshop manuals are seldom shared by any manufacturer as that's how their service centres make money.

Your list of troubles seems to be from the fact that you bought the Nano when it was launched. Since it was a completely new design for the car as well as most of its parts, and considering the Tata Motors reputation for their initial batches of vehicles, it doesn't surprise one to see the high number of replacement items.

Do sell off your present Nano for whatever price you get. You may either go for the new Nano AMT or look at other tried and tested models such as Alto or a WagonR.
Old 23rd September 2017, 12:47   #622

Thanks for the advice sir!
But my experience was,I could get a spare parts catalogue with exploded views of assembly / parts and a service station manual for a small price from M/s Bajaj Auto,Pune,though decades ago.It was a great piece of information.Also, I could get a similar book let,though less exhaustively for my premium padmini.Even Tata Motors,I understand have kept similar manuals for their Indica,Vista etc.
Perhaps, considering the constant changes/improvements they were attempting on Nano,they held back.Also, considering the compactness and space constraint,it is difficult to handle DIY type works on a Nano.However,I for one feel that providing rather an exhaustive information will give confidence to enthusiasts to maintain the vehicle and need not necessarily deplete the income of show rooms.Of course,it may have another negative side in that people may run into problems with DIY works.Thanks a lot once again.
Old 23rd September 2017, 21:43   #623
Senior - BHPian

You are absolutely right sir, the Nano with its compact dimensions and specially the small bay area in the front, makes it extremely difficult to attempt simple DIY like headlight alignment.

If service manuals are freely shared in today's age, people will get all the servicing and repairs done from cheap FNGs using the service manuals, still claiming warranty benefits from manufacturers. So it's a loss making proposition for most manufacturers whose dealers earn more through the service centres.

In the days of the Bajaj or Premier Padmini, FNG options were considerably limited and companies earned a lot of profit on selling the cars themselves. Not so today.
Old 25th September 2017, 00:14   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,

Regards,
SS
So, the "Service" battery given to me by the Exide dealer was also a failure. Getting quite annoyed by this time, I called up the Tata Helpline.

Have to say that I was quite impressed by their response.

A young guy on a scooter with a heavy duty battery and jumper cables arrived in about an hour's time. He came from a distance of approx. 50 Kms away. We jump started the "service" battery and all O.K. We then proceeded to the battery shop where I asked to have my original battery back.

They replaced my original battery and the car started with a "half start". No jumper cables used. Surprise, Surprise!! This was the battery which was "weak" / had "one failed cell" as per the Exide dealer and now suddenly was working fine again. The service guy said they had kept the battery on charge overnight and that's why it was now OK. So, what happened the previous night??

What cheats and crooks we have to deal with these days.

He even had the nerve to say that "We have ordered a new battery for you. What do we do with that now?"

Anyway, happy to say the story ends here. Sent the Tata guy off on his way, paid Rs.50 for the battery charging and proceeded home to answer several calls from Tata enquiring if the car was back in action again.

I know I have cursed the Tata service in the past but one has to give the devil it's due. Full marks to them for their Road Side Assistance program.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 23:02   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the advice sir!
But my experience was,I could get a spare parts catalogue with exploded views of assembly / parts and a service station manual for a small price from M/s Bajaj Auto,Pune,though decades ago.It was a great piece of information.Also, I could get a similar book let,though less exhaustively for my premium padmini.Even Tata Motors,I understand have kept similar manuals for their Indica,Vista etc.
Perhaps, considering the constant changes/improvements they were attempting on Nano,they held back.Also, considering the compactness and space constraint,it is difficult to handle DIY type works on a Nano.However,I for one feel that providing rather an exhaustive information will give confidence to enthusiasts to maintain the vehicle and need not necessarily deplete the income of show rooms.Of course,it may have another negative side in that people may run into problems with DIY works.Thanks a lot once again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterace View Post
Since the other speeds are working, I would start with the controller. Any good auto parts shop would be storing it and a good auto electrician would be able to fix it. The authorised service centres are a pain and are best avoided once the warranty is over. Since you are maintaining a Fiat, I am sure that you will be able to manage the Nano as well. Please check oriparts.com if you are the diagram types.
You will find the required information over there. Access to the engine is poor indeed, and FNGs are not very keen to work on it. If you can find a good service centre, thats the best possible solution. Contact Tata Motors, they actually listen to what you are saying. Check out a few of them and then go to the one with good mechanics.
Old 4th November 2017, 10:28   #626
BHPian

I have noticed a lot of Nanos running with an awful amount of camber in the rear wheels. From what I have seen from the diagrams, the mounting axis of the rear swingarm is transverse, so a positive camber can only be a result of a bent suspension components. Can anyone shed some more light on this matter?
Old 3rd December 2017, 12:50   #627
BHPian

Some major expenses coming up for me on my 6year old Nano,29k km run
1.One ' tak' noise coming while turning steering at low speeds:steering rack change : rs 4500
2.Front suspension noise while going over rough roads(thanks to NIMHANS) : change both front suspension components : rs 5700
3. Rear suspension jumpy:leaking oil from one rear strut: rs 2750

These are parts +labour. Taxes extra.
Old 10th December 2017, 19:17   #628
BHPian

Just dropped off my 6 year old Nano at the service center for a 1 Lac kms service. It will get a new clutch cable, accelerator cable and alternator belt as a preventive maintenance action as I faced at least 3 breakdowns due to one of these snapping. Also getting checked issues such as excessive noise from suspensions and sticky brake pads /liners. I don't expect the cost of all these to be less than 8 K.
Cuatro is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 13:28   #629
BHPian

Did anyone get an estimate for timing belt kit replacement in the Nano? How much would this cost including labour charges?
Old 15th December 2017, 23:39   #630
BHPian

Window winding motor of the Nano failed. Went to Trivandrum Motors and they replaced it in warranty in 30 mins flat :-)

Most Viewed