Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2018, 12:33   #646
BHPian

Re: TATA nano - List of ALL issues

A couple of days agao, I stopped at a pump to tank up. As is my practise, I always get out and observe the fuel meter, which nozzle is being used etc. etc. I was standing right in front of the car. Suddenly, there was a lot of shouting "Petrol, Petrol" and people pointing at me. I looked around and then down and found myself (and the pump attendant) standing in a large pool of petrol. He stopped the pump right away and we both moved away from the car. I also told my wife to get out and leave the car. I looked down underneath the front bumper and saw petrol pouring out of a pipe. I quickly pushed the car away from the pump. The petrol was still leaking out but a slower rate. I think I lost about 2 to 3 litres at least. Anyway, as I was getting no help from the pump people, and could not get under the car myself, I waited till the leak was just a tiny drip and drove to the nearest Tata Service Centre which luckily was just 2 Kms away. They immediately put the car on a ramp and we found the petrol filler pipe to have cracked. It was replaced within 30 minutes. Cost including labour was Rs. 226.00. Full marks to the Tata mechanics who were quick to solve the problem even though it was 5PM and I did not have any appointment.
Pic of the pipe is below.
I had noticed a smell of petrol a few days before when parking the car at home and looked underneath but never saw anything. Lesson to be learned : Do not ignore tell tale signs.
Regards,
SS
Attached Thumbnails
TATA nano - List of ALL issues-20180521_163439.jpg  

suzuki san is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2018, 19:56   #647
BHPian

A relative who bought a Nano in 2012 after I recommended it is facing repeated heating issues. The car stops midway after running a few hundred kilometers. This issue has persisted since November 2017. Despite repeated visits to the service center the issue has not been resolved. The saddest part is that he wasn't given a loaner car despite the service center keeping the car for more than 2 days in the most recent instance (it is still at the service station).

I bought 2 Nanos and my dad has a Hexa. We believe in the company's promise to deliver value. But what is this treatment of customers? These service shops lose interest in a car in less than 6 years? I am truly sad at how the well paid honchos in charge of customer experience at the company tolerate this erosion of customer goodwill at a time when their shares are touching all time lows every other week and new launches are being met with skepticism by the market. You won't get new customers till your old customers are happy.

I know that the company has improved over the years, but how can you desert a car that's not even 2 years out of the warranty? Maruti serviced our old Baleno till the last day (even now the owner takes it there- they're happy and proud to work on an ex-flagship model). How can Tata take customers for granted? If any employee from Tata is reading this, please help.
Old 3rd June 2018, 10:23   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
A relative who bought a Nano in 2012 after I recommended it is facing repeated heating issues. The car stops midway after running a few hundred kilometers. This issue has persisted since November 2017. Despite repeated visits to the service center the issue has not been resolved. The saddest part is that he wasn't given a loaner car despite the service center keeping the car for more than 2 days in the most recent instance (it is still at the service station).

I bought 2 Nanos and my dad has a Hexa. We believe in the company's promise to deliver value. But what is this treatment of customers? These service shops lose interest in a car in less than 6 years? I am truly sad at how the well paid honchos in charge of customer experience at the company tolerate this erosion of customer goodwill at a time when their shares are touching all time lows every other week and new launches are being met with skepticism by the market. You won't get new customers till your old customers are happy.

I know that the company has improved over the years, but how can you desert a car that's not even 2 years out of the warranty? Maruti serviced our old Baleno till the last day (even now the owner takes it there- they're happy and proud to work on an ex-flagship model). How can Tata take customers for granted? If any employee from Tata is reading this, please help.

Is there some error in the ECU. The workshop people are many times just lazy or other issues. Please attach an OBD reader and use some app like torque to check for issues. It will indicate the fault. Also clean the radiator etc. I see lot of dust getting settled on it very fast.

Last edited by ankur_gupta10 : 3rd June 2018 at 10:28.
Old 14th June 2018, 22:29   #649
BHPian

Last Sunday I was driving the Nano. Usually I drive it a bit harder than my wife. I shift gears only after a notch up the normal rpm. I felt a vibration while upshift from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd. Pretty severe if the rpm was higher. It felt like coming under the gear lever. There was no vibration if I shift at the correct rpm. Suspected a loose gear lever or silenser. Wife mentioned she hit a pot hole heavily that week.

Got the vehicle back after 4 full days from Trivandrum Motors. Not going to details why 4 days. The reason for vibration was 2 broken bolts that hold the gear box. Yikes! The car has done 15k and goes normal city traffic mostly except couple of pot hole jumps. The SA says that a heavy pot hole run can break the bolts. Its designed to break off after a limit to save the gear box. I am not buying that story but its pretty scary to think of 2 tweeny bolts holding up a gear box. Cost was 1500/- mostly for lathe work and labour to dismount the gear box.

Last edited by kutts : 14th June 2018 at 22:30.
Old 19th June 2018, 12:58   #650
BHPian

While driving on a dark road, my wife hit an unmarked speed breaker. The next morning there was a strange noise from the car when the AC was turned on - like a scraping type of sound. AC cooling was not as good as before. Took the car to the TASS and they diagnosed failure of condensor fan. They did not seem at all surprised. Supposedly this is a common issue on the Nano. Anyway, the complete fan unit was changed under warranty (normal cost is Rs. 2500.00 + labour)and the cooling is back to normal. No additional sounds either. All's well that ends well!!

Regards,
SS
Old 19th June 2018, 19:32   #651
BHPian

I own a 2012 Nano and the maintenance cost of vehicle has gone up drastically. I had a peculiar issue with my car that first gear doesn't engage if moving .Its painful especially on humps on a slope. The ASS ,Trivandrum motors took their own sweet time to finally provide a fix which actually haven't fixed the issue fully .The car was on warranty and I was told the issue could be of synchronizer and order was placed for it . Took around 2 months for the part to arrive and by the time warranty and AMC exhausted . But they did honor the warranty claim.
Once the car was returned it had the same issue and then clutch and cable was replaced ,still with the same problem but not that severe as before.
It took 8 days for the service center to complete the first job only to return the car with a heavy vibration at higher rpm.
This was diagnosed to the broken bolt of gearbox and the car has to be kept for three days to fix the issue.
Interestingly three of the brake cylinders failed as well. So this has be to be changed.
The bill amount for brake repair plus service excluding the warranty repair was quoted as 8.5K.

Last edited by bullboy : 19th June 2018 at 19:34.
Old 20th June 2018, 00:53   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post

Does the high temperature warning light come up before the engine quits? When you say a few hundred KMs, does it indicate a continuous run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
I own a 2012 Nano and the maintenance cost of vehicle has gone up drastically. I had a peculiar issue with my car that first gear doesn't engage if moving .Its painful especially on humps on a slope. The ASS ,Trivandrum motors took their own sweet time to finally provide a fix which actually haven't fixed the issue fully .The car was on warranty and I was told the issue could be of synchronizer and order was placed for it . Took around 2 months for the part to arrive and by the time warranty and AMC exhausted . But they did honor the warranty claim.
Once the car was returned it had the same issue and then clutch and cable was replaced ,still with the same problem but not that severe as before.
It took 8 days for the service center to complete the first job only to return the car with a heavy vibration at higher rpm.
This was diagnosed to the broken bolt of gearbox and the car has to be kept for three days to fix the issue.
Interestingly three of the brake cylinders failed as well. So this has be to be changed.
The bill amount for brake repair plus service excluding the warranty repair was quoted as 8.5K.

There is a trick to engage the forst gear when moving- synchronisation by double clutching. It is normal in all the cars. I suspect that you have made the ASS do a major surgery on your car for a non issue and caused the consequent bolt failure. In all probability a clutch adjustment was all that was required. Anyway, find a good independent garage and service the car there, now that the warranty is over. Brake cylinder replacement is a regular occurance in all cars, and 6 years is a good enough service life. An independent garage will do it for ~ 300 bucks + parts.

Last edited by fighterace : 20th June 2018 at 00:57.
Old 21st June 2018, 10:53   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterace View Post
Does the high temperature warning light come up before the engine quits? When you say a few hundred KMs, does it indicate a continuous run?

There is a trick to engage the forst gear when moving- synchronisation by double clutching. It is normal in all the cars. I suspect that you have made the ASS do a major surgery on your car for a non issue and caused the consequent bolt failure. In all probability a clutch adjustment was all that was required. Anyway, find a good independent garage and service the car there, now that the warranty is over. Brake cylinder replacement is a regular occurance in all cars, and 6 years is a good enough service life. An independent garage will do it for ~ 300 bucks + parts.
I do own other cars and don't have these issue in them . I have checked this in other Nano's before going to ASS also the problem became too worse that the gear doesn't engage at all with multiple attempts.
Regarding the brake cylinder it was replaced twice during warranty the one that failed now was replaced 8 months back. So I suspect he quality problem with the parts. I don't think brake cylinder will fail this frequently.
Need to find a good garage.
Old 21st June 2018, 12:16   #654
BHPian

@fighterace I did have this Nano heating issue after running a few Kms it stopped with loud beeps and with engine light flashing on the Dash . I was really troubled for a few days. Took it to the A.S.S and after a couple of days, figured that the coolant had dried up. This was diagnosed at A.S.S. After filling up coolant tank and checking for possible leaks, it was resolved. Hope this helps your relative.
Old 21st June 2018, 20:33   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Do you get a click noise when it does not crank ? What is your battery condition ? Did you get the starter checked if it is able to draw enough power to crank. A good battery shop should be able to check the battery , alternator and starter i.e check the voltage when you try to crank , when the engine is running etc.
I did this trial for my car when it happened way back in 2014. I connected a multimeter to check voltages also. The voltage was a ok but the Tak sound would come and starter wouldn’t turn. In the end resorted to this ‘multiple crank and off’ until it started. I think it’s something to do with high heat making the relay misbehave.
Old 23rd June 2018, 00:59   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
I I had a peculiar issue with my car that first gear doesn't engage if moving
Looks like a similar case to mine. Only difference is the 1st and 2nd gears sometimes fail to engage after they refitted the gearbox bolts. I suspect that it could be due to a tight gear cable. Planning to get it fixed tomorrow.
Old 25th June 2018, 18:36   #657
BHPian

Hello All,

I have a 2010 nano bought used last year as a beater car for city runs. The issue I am facing is that the car is returning very poor fuel efficiency. It has never crossed 15 without AC and is giving 11.xx with AC. I got the injectors and throttle body cleaned and got the spark plug changed and air filter changed however the fuel efficiency still remains poor. Any idea what could I do. The mechanic says that Nano returns this much only and I should not bother much wherein our forum says otherwise. I don't think I have seen anyone reporting a fuel efficiency of anything less than 15 with AC on the forum.
Old 26th June 2018, 07:22   #658
BHPian

You have taken care of all possible things to check fuel efficiency. I guess the only suspect now is 'fuel line' leakage. Do get it checked as the efficiency of any Nano should never be below 15. My Nano's best was 28 and worst was probably 16 KMPL. It's 7 years old now. Also when did you last change the brake pads? I am not sure if this can be a cause but it's a reasonable guess as well.
Old 3rd July 2018, 09:16   #659
BANNED

Tata Nano Twist ( 2016 ) which has done only 3000km . very minimal use . Have done regular service . ( previous service Jan 2017 @ 1600 km) But recently the steering suddenly becomes stiff and i could see the steering light indicator warning on the panel. I stopped for sometime under shade. Then After driving say about 7 to 8 kn...the steering becomes normal and indicator goes off. This had happened twice in the last 1 month . What should be the reason & remedy . Thanks.

Note :Searched But could not see MY issue. If the ISSUE has solution . kindly remove my post and please share the link .
Old 14th July 2018, 17:21   #660
BHPian

A few days ago, I kept the blinkers on and the tiny battery of my CNG Nano was dead when I tried to start it past midnight. Called roadside assistance from Tata motors. It arrived in an hours time and started the car with a booster pack. Didn't charge a paisa, and gave me a complimentary bottle of chilled drinking water! Four such services are free during the warranty period, which is four years for the Nano.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks