Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2017, 20:09   #601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Can you give history of the car like how many kilometres, year, service history etc??

Before you get to major repairs, please check these simple items

1. Quality of petrol. Change your petrol pump and see

2. Do you feel any clutch slipping in higher gears?? ( 4 and 5)

3. What is the highway mileage?

4. Have you tried checking mileage with AC off??

5. I assume you are calculating mileage via the tankful to tankful method. If not try that way.

6. Keep right air pressure in tires

7. Any uneven wear in brake pads or brake slightly jamming the wheels?? Do you feel lack of power?

8. Is this mileage figure in normal or sport mode??

9. Finally driver - is everyone driving your car getting same mileage??

I normally get 14 kmpl in city traffic.

Hi arijithin,

I have been filling up from the same petrol pump for years so i am sure petrol pump is not a problem.

The clutch is also fine.

Never taken her on highway and she probably will never see a highway since she is strictly a city car. For highway duties i use my civic.

Trying without AC in this tankful but it is really difficult to drive without AC in summers here.

Yes mileage is calculated via tankful to tankful method.

Got brand new tyres last week and the air pressure is just fine.

No lack of power. The car is damn quick as a city car.

Only one person drives this car and he has managed to extract 17 kmpl from a Ford Fiesta on multiple occasions. So definitely not a problem with driver. 😊

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
2300 for the cleaning is too much. I think I paid Rs. 400 for this last year at Concorde. So you better confirm from another agency or call centre once!

Even i was surprised at the quote. Unfortunately only one Tata dealer in my city. I am so confused now. Can't really digest driving nano with a mileage of 9KMPL.
Old 17th July 2017, 11:24   #602
BHPian

Re: TATA nano - List of ALL issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi arijithin,

I have been filling up from the same petrol pump for years so i am sure petrol pump is not a problem.

The clutch is also fine.

Never taken her on highway and she probably will never see a highway since she is strictly a city car. For highway duties i use my civic.

Trying without AC in this tankful but it is really difficult to drive without AC in summers here.

Yes mileage is calculated via tankful to tankful method.

Got brand new tyres last week and the air pressure is just fine.

No lack of power. The car is damn quick as a city car.

Only one person drives this car and he has managed to extract 17 kmpl from a Ford Fiesta on multiple occasions. So definitely not a problem with driver. 😊

Even i was surprised at the quote. Unfortunately only one Tata dealer in my city. I am so confused now. Can't really digest driving nano with a mileage of 9KMPL.
How old is the car? If it is out of warranty, better to a reputed independent garage. What is the condition of the exhaust and the spark plugs? They will give you a good indication of what is wrong.
Old 17th July 2017, 12:24   #603
BHPian

Quote:

My one & half year old Nano XT gives 15 kmpl consistently, AC on all the time, with only me on board and tyre pressure as per recommendation. In my experience the following affect the Nano fuel efficiency:

1. ~ 20% reduction in FE when AC is on.
2. Tyre pressure for all the tyres on duty.
3. Uneven brake-shoes and possible unwanted friction
4. Loose belts (any, out of 3 belts working in the engine compartment)
5. Idle time in the traffic
6. Frequent gear shifting and driving style (every horse behaves in specific way!)
7. Gross weight
8. And last but not least, correct measurement of gasoline/oil filled and used!
Old 17th July 2017, 12:40   #604
BHPian

Guys I am planning to pick an used Nano as beater car. Was there a facelift/major upgrade in 2012? I plan to pick up one from 2011/2012 vintage. Please advise.
Old 17th July 2017, 12:46   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Guys I am planning to pick an used Nano as beater car. Was there a facelift/major upgrade in 2012? I plan to pick up one from 2011/2012 vintage. Please advise.
In my opinion, it is better to go with generation of Nano with power steering (Twist and then GenX, GenX also having boot!) You can drive both types and decide though, but do drive both (with and without power steering).

Last edited by kbishwa : 17th July 2017 at 12:47. Reason: insertion of a word for clarity
kbishwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2017, 19:33   #606
BHPian

Guys,

I went for a tankful in my nano. The car had the last bar steady in the meter which i assume indicates 5 litres approximately. To my surprise the car took 14 litres of petrol. I am really surprised. Did anyone else experience it. I did not fill after autocut.
Old 22nd July 2017, 20:16   #607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

I went for a tankful in my nano. The car had the last bar steady in the meter which i assume indicates 5 litres approximately. To my surprise the car took 14 litres of petrol. I am really surprised. Did anyone else experience it. I did not fill after autocut.
Very normal. After the auto cut off, tank takes another 7L easily.
Old 23rd July 2017, 19:53   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Nano does well as a city beater car. Try to pick one which has a power steering. I think those came around after 2014 if I remember correctly? The price difference between ps and non-ps trims from the same year should not be much at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
My one & half year old Nano XT gives 15 kmpl consistently
Its funny actually, we have a petrol 2016 Baleno in the family along with a Nano. The 1.2L Baleno averages around 16.5 kmpl and the 600cc Nano does around 15.

Last edited by Tanmay K : 23rd July 2017 at 20:00.
Tanmay K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 21:02   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
In my opinion, it is better to go with generation of Nano with power steering (Twist and then GenX, GenX also having boot!) You can drive both types and decide though, but do drive both (with and without power steering).
Tata Motors have done quite some upgrades 2015 models upwards. The overall build quality, chassis frame has been strengthened plus the better pillars. The paint finish is also worth the money. Lastly the rickshaw like exhaust note sounds like a car. The power steering is of electric type so no hassles of oil leakage and undue maintenance.
dr.faramroze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2017, 14:40   #610
BHPian

There is a sudden decrease in AC performance in my 2014 Nano Twist. Cleaned the AC pollen filter, airflow has improved, but there is hardly any cooling. There is a somewhat loud hissing noise when the compressor kicks in, this started happening a couple of days ago. Does this mean the AC gas needs a top-up?. It's been a little over a year since I've replaced the condenser and the AC gas (my mistake ran over a pipe jutting on the road). The TASC folks have replaced the condenser with BEHR make. I was concerned as per the parts manual it was supposed to be a Subros make. Anyways got it in writing from TASC to ensure no troubles immediately post replacement. The car was fine for 1+ yr and 10k KM's post that. Planning to take it to TASC tomorrow.

Last edited by knaveen : 15th August 2017 at 14:41.
Old 20th August 2017, 23:10   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
No scraping at lock.

Steering is super responsive and a slight hint of oversteer is there (as rightly said by Tata) and for me this is fun. For the general car buying public Tata has done the right thing by putting the smaller tyres in the front.

Handling on a straight line is much much better and so is braking.

Gifted my Nano new footwear for the first anniversary- 155 section tyres up front and spare (JK ultima LXT- same as OEM rear tyres). The steering sharpness around the center is a little muted. Ride quality has improved. Braking feels improved too- but I don't know why as the 135 section front tyres didn't skid under braking, which means that they hadn't reached the limits of traction for the available brake force. But the "dive" under braking is definitely more pronounced now.

What are the tyre pressures that you are running?
Old 8th September 2017, 23:24   #612
BHPian

I have seen a 2012 Nano LX with 45k on odo. Car looks decently maintained. Anything I should check wrt engine or suspension?
Old 16th September 2017, 15:26   #613
BHPian

Better buy a GenX Nano manufactured in 2016 or 2017 since it is a much improved product. Extra money to be paid is worth. In my opinion, if you are a city user, go for xta variant which is the top variant in automatic transmission. Nano automatic is a bit sluggish but very convenient in city. If running is on open roads without much traffic blocks, choose xt which is the top variant in manual transmission. Manual transmission nano is very sporty and driving is a fun.
In end July 2017, I purchased a second hand nano GenX xt variant 2016 Sept manufactured and 2016 November purchased. Run below four thousand km in eight months by first owner. Red color. Cost 1.85 lakh. After purchase, it has run nearly four thousand km in just one and a half months !! No issues. I am very happy with it.
This red nano is the third nano car I am buying. Planning to buy one nano automatic car soon.
Attached Thumbnails
TATA nano - List of ALL issues-img_20170728_063916.jpg  

TATA nano - List of ALL issues-img_20170728_063834.jpg  

Old 16th September 2017, 16:38   #614
BHPian

Quote:
I have seen a 2012 Nano LX with 45k on odo. Car looks decently maintained. Anything I should check wrt engine or suspension?
Please refer my previous posting The advantage of buying a 2016 or 2017 nano is the warranty coverage you get. Car is having four years manufacturer warrantee and you get three years service AMC package for less than six thousand rupees. Means, no worries for the next few years..
KMohanan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2017, 18:31   #615

Tata nano LX problems

Dear sir,
i own a tata nano lx 2011 model, from march2011. i am a senior citizen and use the car sparingly, mostly locally. The vehicle was purchased from M/S Tejaswi motors, Madhapur,Hyderabad.
I do not know if got a bad car with sub standard parts,or all Nano cars are like this.
I have this impression since i had to change so many parts during the last 6 years ,starting from the
first fortnight of purchase and clocking only 7000Km(seven thousand km only),and the list is,1.comboswitch,2.starter motor-2times, in addition to the first mandatory replacement by Tata Motors,in the first year,3.wiper blade,4.AC control module on the dash board,5.AC condenser,6.AC fan,7.Front wheelcylinders for brakes,8.Horn.I was charged for all these parts+labour for all these parts except the first starter motor and AC console. The radiator also started leaking, inspite of filling the liquids by service station,from where i bought the car.
My latest problem is that the wiper does not work intermittently, (the other medium and and high speed are working)and from general information, i gathered that it may be a relay problem or the double stalk problem.
I will be highly thankful if some body in the forum can help me in locating the relay, along with disassembly tips so that i can get a spare parts and get them fixed,since i do not want to go to the service station, who i think are having poor knowledge of Nano.Also, i will be highly thankful if some information is given on getting the workshop manual for Tata nano LX 2011 model.
My apologies for a rather long message.
Regards,
S.Narayana Rao
s.narayana rao is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks