Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2015, 22:28   #2491
BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
I realised that the brakes were making a grinding sound as I applied them. No difference in stopping power whatsoever but that sound is quite scary. Makes a huge grinding sound as I press the brake pedal. What could it be??? Going for 3rd free service tomorrow.
That's the end of Brake pads usable life.
Get them replaced ASAP or it will take Brake Discs life as well.
Old 1st December 2015, 13:39   #2492
BHPian

Just gave my car for 3rd free service @Advaith Hyundai, JP Nagar. Car had done 25k Kms. Have been given an estimate as follows:-

Oil change - 2.5k
Filter change - 2k
Wheel Balancing/Alignment/Rotation - 1.2k
Brake condition - to be told
Labour - free

Unable to upload the pics (security error)

Am I being taken for a ride ???

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
Old 1st December 2015, 14:58   #2493
BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest that you get this done outside. You might easily save Rs.500/-
Old 6th December 2015, 00:53   #2494
BHPian

I am contemplating on buying 2015 face lifted verna Crdi , upon reading reviews that it's ride handling, stability and steering feedback are not so great and that its high speed handling capacity is not great. Can any 2015 version fellow bhpians provide your feedback.

My initial plan was to buy the torque king Vento but thinking of change my decision upon hearing opinions of bhpians and thinking about the impact the fix is going to bring in terms of performance and fuel efficiency.
Old 7th December 2015, 11:57   #2495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandharamanp View Post
I am contemplating on buying 2015 face lifted verna Crdi , upon reading reviews that it's ride handling, stability and steering feedback are not so great and that its high speed handling capacity is not great. Can any 2015 version fellow bhpians provide your feedback.

My initial plan was to buy the torque king Vento but thinking of change my decision upon hearing opinions of bhpians and thinking about the impact the fix is going to bring in terms of performance and fuel efficiency.
Hello Anand,

I own a petrol 4S Verna and have driven 5000kms. As per my observations, the ride and handling are sorted out by Hyundai. I have driven it at good speeds at times and the car was not at all nervous. However, if you are sorely looking for a car for its corner scorching abilities, it would be better to look somewhere else. But, if you want a car for your day to day use and you are a 'normal driver', there is little you will find missing in the Verna.
One more thing I'll highlight is that due to the stiffer suspension, the bottom doesn't scrape often. In fact, mine hasn't scrapped even once. Even when there were 5 adults and luggage loaded.

The diesel owners can add more details, but as far as the car suspension and handling are concerned, these are no longer a chink in the Verna's armor.
drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 12:18   #2496
BHPian

Quote:
Upon reading reviews that it's ride handling, stability and steering feedback are not so great and that its high speed handling capacity is not great. Can any 2015 version fellow bhpians provide your feedback.
I own the 2015 Verna CRDI. As mentioned by @drive2eternity, suspension is no longer an issue. However, the steering still behaves a little inconsistently at "very" high speeds. If you've driven a Linea with it's fantastic and precise steering, you will notice this drawback immediately.

If you want a fantastic steering + ride/handling combination, and since you mentioned that you're looking for a diesel, your options are extremely limited. I can only think of the Linea and the Vento, and both have their own well known issues. Overall, I think the Verna still offers the best overall package.
PearlJam is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 22:29   #2497
BHPian

Quote:
Just gave my car for 3rd free service @Advaith Hyundai, JP Nagar. Car had done 25k Kms. Have been given an estimate as follows:-

Oil change - 2.5k
Filter change - 2k
Brake condition - to be told
Labour - free

Unable to upload the pics (security error)

Am I being taken for a ride ???

How much did it cost finally. I was taken around 8k,if I remember correctly for the 3rd free service.
Old 7th December 2015, 22:41   #2498
BHPian

Quote:

I have a 2013 diesel Verna, but can't comment on 2015 model. I have a 2015 Polo GT TSI and it is far better planted and has better steering feedback (I have put a bit wider tyres in polo, may be that gives a more bit extra weighing of steering). So I guess Vento should be better than 2015 Verna also. But since you don't prefer VW vento or skoda rapid, options you have are:
Linea (but sales figures are really bad, whether Fiat will give a suprise like Fiesta, we don't know)
Honda city - That should tick your box for steering feedback and handling.
Old 7th December 2015, 23:05   #2499
BHPian

Yes, I agree with you that city is very good in terms of handling. But the challenge I have is that I want a car with excellent handling, steering feedback,excellent power-extra punch,solid build and very good torque-am I sounding too greedy
That Is where the torque King Vento excelled, but I am only concerned if the fix that Vw is going to do will hamper the performance and torque and efficiency. There was no transparent communication from VW regarding the same.i there comes a confirmation that there will not be any compromise on such parameters, I am ready to book a Vento tomorrow itself.

Like steering becoming deal breaker in verna, Fiat linea is one vehicle that comes close to my aspirations but the underpowered 1.3 l engine became the deal breaker there.

My bad:(
Old 8th December 2015, 09:06   #2500
BHPian

Anand, I think for your requirements of "excellent handling, steering feedback,excellent power-extra punch,solid build and very good torque", you should consider the Duster or the Abarth Punto.

Last edited by drive2eternity : 8th December 2015 at 09:11.
Old 8th December 2015, 10:27   #2501
BHPian

I have a 2014 Verna diesel and it is vastly improved compared to the 2011-2013 model in terms of handling and steering feedback but no where close to the Linea and the Fiesta.

After having done 25,700 Kms in 11 months, I can safely say it's a brilliant car. Have taken it everywhere without any issues - expressways, NH, SH, mild off-roading etc. Having said that the build quality is brilliant, quality materials have been used, the knobs and switches feel durable and ooze quality. The interior is top notch. The engine is a monster (yet highly refined and silent for a diesel) great to potter around in city (oodles of torque) and a scorcher on the highway. Pulls effortlessly single or with 5 people and luggage onboard. Gear shift is slick and precise and I found the clutch to be on the lighter side. 6th gear helps you get some phenomenal mileage on the expressways. Also the all-round disc brakes (not available in the 2015 model) are excellent, stops in a straight line every time. ABS & EBD is standard. No issues with ground clearance that I have faced anywhere.

Agreed the dynamics aren't to enthusiastic' tastes but that turbo kick and the pull will leave a smile on your face every time.

You will not go wrong with this one.

Regards,
Aniketh

drhoneycake is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 11:46   #2502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Honda city - That should tick your box for steering feedback and handling.
Quote:
Yes, I agree with you that city is very good in terms of handling
I don't think this is fully correct. If you read the Honda City review on team-bhp, this is what it says:
Quote:
The suspension is compliant over most road conditions, although it's not plush. Like most Hondas, the City can get unsettled on broken tarmac. Medium & large bumps do filter through to the cabin. Also, when driving on undulating roads, the rear end suffers from excessive vertical movement. It won't stay planted on uneven patches of Indian highways.

The steering is effortless to use and is tuned in line with mass market preferences. The City is a safe handler by family sedan standards, displaying fairly neutral behaviour, but lacking the sheer dynamics of the Europeans. The steering is direct & responsive, while grip levels are safe & predictable. On the limit, it will understeer progressively. The diesel does feel more front-heavy when compared to the petrol though. High speed stability is decent and the car doesn't feel overtly nervous. Still, the light build is obvious and the City isn't as planted as the segment benchmarks. This is especially obvious on uneven highways where (again) the rear end refuses to stay flat. What doesn't help on the expressway is the EPS remaining light & sensitive. You need to maintain a very firm hand over 100 kph. The electric steering does feel like a playstation wheel and there's no feedback to speak of.
Reading this, it might be safe to say that the steering of the 2015 Verna might be close to the steering of the Honda City

Last edited by PearlJam : 9th December 2015 at 11:47.
PearlJam is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 12:19   #2503
BHPian

My brother owns a 2011 ANHC and this is what I feel with 2013 Verna vs 2011 ANHC vs 2015 Polo GT TSI.

Verna has much much softer suspension , hence inside city the drive feels very good as its like in a cradle, but any hard cornering makes me dizzy and it shows how unsettled it is, once the speed increases. I am scared to take Verna above 120 in roads having slight undulations as it doesn't give confidence. It gives a boat like feeling.
But in ANHC, I have been very happy to throw it around corners and in high speed the suspension is better than Verna, though inside city in slower speeds, Verna scores over ANHC.

I feel the ANHC has a better steering feedback than the polo also. Polo is very direct, but I felt it too light (though changing to wider tyres has made my polo weigh up very nicely). And the Verna had even lighter steering than Polo.

Verna is good if you are looking for the most silent, least NVH diesel car in C - segment. While test driving various cars in C Segment diesel in 2013, I found Vento and Rapid had the most harsh engine tone and bad vibrations coming though the clutch pedal. Fiesta was under-powered and I didn't test drive Linea diesel. Though I liked Fiesta, I felt the out right acceleration was pretty bad in Fiesta and I felt quick overtaking in highways and city roads require more power. Also Verna had the most silent/vibrationless cabin. Hence settled for Verna. Also it gives me a very good mileage of above 20 in any highway trips. Plus the power is very good for highway overtaking.
Old 9th December 2015, 16:32   #2504
BHPian

[quote=petrol_power

Verna has much much softer suspension , hence inside city the drive feels very good as its like in a cradle, but any hard cornering makes me dizzy and it shows how unsettled it is, once the speed increases. I am scared to take Verna above 120 in roads having slight undulations as it doesn't give confidence. It gives a boat like feeling.
[/QUOTE]

I drive a 2015 Verna 4S 1.6 VTVT petrol & must say the suspension issue has been resolved once for all .

There is no more of that cradle like feeling, no more of the belly grazing previous models had to contend with.

The suspension now tends towards stiffer side, offers no body roll & in all these months i have been driving over various roads, it hasn't scratched the underbelly even once anywhere even with 5 adults on board.

There was talk of poor steering feedback in the 2015 model in this thread. During the TD i'd taken, i found the steering to be very light & remember telling so to the Representative, but after having driven the vehicle for 4k kms there's no apprehension on that at all. At speeds of upwards of 120, there's no nervousness from the vehicle, it feels very sure & effortless & i suppose the 195*65 R16 tyres certainly help in this regard.

regards
Nagesh
Nagesh Bhatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 17:46   #2505
BHPian

Had given my car for 4th service (30k kms) at Advaith hyundai ITPL, While all is good, they had done Brake cleaning for Front & rear. The issue now is, whenever I do a hard braking, I hear a very distinct squeak from the rear (just when the car comes to a complete stop), from the noise , it definitively feels to be coming from brake pad. This wasnt there before service.

While I will take the car back to them tomorrow, wanted view from you guys if anyone has faced such a issue before.

I hate giving my car for service, a serviced car should feel better, but it feels a notch down after every service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks