Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2014, 01:19   #286
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra Scorpio : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Ok, and in that theory, what did they teach you, I mean, what happens when the tyres are different? Let us take the above example of tread difference between front and rear tyres. Would be interesting to know.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 6th June 2014 at 01:20.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 04:43   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
From the pics put up, there is quite a difference in the tread depth between the used tyres and the brand new tyre.
The two tyres on the left and centre of the pic have been discarded already since they were >4.5 years old (and run 107,000 km).
Old 6th June 2014, 10:56   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
All tyres are new Nikhil, except the one Dueler at the rear that's run ~10k km and is ~1 year old - that too, run only as the rear wheel.

Up front, one of the Czars is ~1 year old (bought then but not driven), and the other was bought recently - and all have now already run >5k km since fitment.

Would you please suggest any other configuration?
Simple! Keep the NEWEST tyres at the rear and the most worn tyres at the front. No confusion!
Old 6th June 2014, 11:15   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Simple! Keep the NEWEST tyres at the rear and the most worn tyres at the front. No confusion!
Ok then, let me confuse you.

I have 4 tyres.

2 are Czar, one of which is 1 year old, and one is <2 months old. Both have never rolled on the road.

Then I have 2 Duelers, one of which is 1 year old and run <10k km (tread wear 0.7 mm compared to new tyre), and the other is a <2-month-old tyre, brand new.

Now, which do you suggest I fit on which corner, and why? And don't ask me to buy any more tyres, and I am not looking for suggestions from other members like Sell all of them and buy a fresh set, preferably Michelin LTX. I wish I could. Sponsors and donors welcome.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 6th June 2014 at 11:18.
Old 6th June 2014, 13:53   #290
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
.,what happens when the tyres are different?
Two things can happen - Either (a)nothing or (b) everything.

If you're usual driving cycle is to trundle along at 10 kmph you could even use a steel wheel in one area (the sort found in a road roller) and "nothing" would happen.

However, if you're hurtling down the autobahn in a supercar at 300+kmph, then everything could happen. Simply because tread designs aren't a beauty treatment for the tyre as boy racers take them to be but influence braking, traction, wet weather grip, dry weather grip, slip angles, extent of hydroplaning and a lot more.

Take these two instances as different ends of the spectrum and peg your level of safety depending on your car, driving cycle, speeds usually maintained, reaction times and take a call on the level of safety you require with your Tyres.

Quote:

I have 4 tyres.

2 are Czar, one of which is 1 year old, and one is <2 months old. Both have never rolled on the road.

Then I have 2 Duelers, one of which is 1 year old and run <10k km (tread wear 0.7 mm compared to new tyre), and the other is a <2-month-old tyre, brand new.

Now, which do you suggest I fit on which corner, and why? And don't ask me to buy any more tyres, and I am not looking for suggestions from other members like Sell all of them and buy a fresh set, preferably Michelin LTX. I wish I could. Sponsors and donors welcome.
As you have not experienced any hazardous feel with your tyre usage and fitment, you obviously sense your cars limits well and drive accordingly. You could put any tyre anywhere and there would be no issue. Although, if you want an answer, and since you have just one used tyre, fit it on the rear left wheel (least wear if you drive single). Rotate only the other three tyres at specified intervals till the wear on all the Tyres become more or less equal and then rotate all four as usual.
Old 6th June 2014, 19:00   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two things can happen - Either (a)nothing or (b) everything.

-------
^^Too much generalized statement, takes me nowhere. I'm looking for something more concrete.

Consider two tyre makes being used in a car, both HT, but with different tread pattern, all other parameters assumed constant (or make reasonable assumptions).

Q1. What effects ride?
Q2. What effects handling?
Q3. Why these effect ride, handling?
Q4. Upto what extent?

Or is it just 'feel' ?

Thanks !
Cheers
Spike
Old 6th June 2014, 19:58   #292
BANNED

Quote:
.. takes me nowhere...
Not taking you anywhere. The ride stops here.

You don't need answers to those questions if you're buying tyres for a Scorpio.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 22:28   #293
Senior - BHPian

Haha, seems like I arrested a few spikes.

Anyways, my point was to understand why such hoopla is being made about tyre profile for this specific case.

In this case, I think the owner knows his cars pretty well.

I would refrain from making sweeping statements unless I can back them up with some reasoning or proof. But with online forums, one can't do much.

Over and out until someone throws some gyan on tyre profiles.

Spike
Old 7th June 2014, 11:56   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I have 4 tyres.

Do one thing:

Buy 4 new tyres, preferably Michelin LTX A/T2.

If you dont attract sponsors, you are no better than majority of our olympic athletes.

If that's the case, then just see which has the maximum tread depth and keep them at the rear. Left and right doesnt matter.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 12:33   #295
BANNED

Quote:
..until someone throws some gyan on tyre profiles.
Ok, let me humor you. It's the weekend after all.

Quote:

Q1. What effects ride?
Q2. What effects handling?
Q3. Why these effect ride, handling?
Q4. Upto what extent?

Or is it just 'feel' ?
Why does a buyer of tyres for a Scorpio need to know this information ?

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 7th June 2014 at 12:34.
Old 9th June 2014, 16:02   #296
Senior - BHPian

Radial tyres with different treads are never good for that perfect floating on a feather ride at 100 kmph cruise.

From practical experience I can tell you.

I had rescued a Nissan Patrol LWB vitually from hell in the Liwa desert Hameem area and it was a 250 KM drive back to Dubai on excellent tarmac roads.

The French driver and his girl friend who were discovered in severely dehydrated condition were sent back to Mafraq hospital in the chopper.

This guy had Bridgestone Duelers ( 275/70/R16 ) in the rear and front right. Front left had a Sumitomo Shaheen of same size. I could clearly feel the difference in the ride and steering vibration during the drive. The legal limit on this road was 160 KMPH I was crusing at about 140 - 145. You dont pass a vehicle on this road for miles and miles and what may pass will be an odd delivery truck or a farm Landcruiser 70 series.
Old 29th September 2014, 11:42   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princey View Post
Have been using Yoko Geolander AT/S 235/70 R16 now for about 2000km.
Found them slightly softer than BS Duelers. Ride is very comfortable.
Could inflate 4-5 psi higher and maintain good ride comfort on highway speeds of 110-120. Stable, No pitching or rolling experienced. Keeping fingers crossed.

Bought the Yokohama Geolander AT 235/70/R16 .
I got it done from Car Shringar .

• The ride quality has certainly improved for good .
  • The pitching has reduced in my Scorpio . Heard in 2014 that the Tyre did undergo major changes for sidewall .
  • Hope not to have a issue with them
Old 29th September 2014, 11:54   #298
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
Bought the Yokohama Geolander AT 235/70/R16 .
  • Hope not to have a issue with them
I too am running my Scorpio on Yokos for nearly 40k km now. No issues except for a puncture. They look good for another 30k km at least.
Old 4th October 2014, 17:33   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Haha, seems like I arrested a few spikes.

Anyways, my point was to understand why such hoopla is being made about tyre profile for this specific case.

In this case, I think the owner knows his cars pretty well.

I would refrain from making sweeping statements unless I can back them up with some reasoning or proof. But with online forums, one can't do much.

Over and out until someone throws some gyan on tyre profiles.

Spike
I believe one may run different tyres in the front and back as they form a interdependent but operationally unique system as one would call it in physics terms. Other than this, I read about tyre choices in WRC and there have been times when drivers have used 3 hard and 1 soft tyre and even discussed the change of steering feel and handling dynamics.
I shall certainly read more on this and come back with what I find.

Quote:
Ok, let me humor you. It's the weekend after all.

Why does a buyer of tyres for a Scorpio need to know this information ?
Because quality is all about passion and not position. Progress is not made by questioning its necessity.
Old 15th February 2015, 22:44   #300
Senior - BHPian

Hi Folks,

My Scorpio will complete 5 years in a couple of weeks. So, even though the stock JK Elanzos still have a decent amount of tread left, I am thinking of replacing them soon.

I've got quotes for the usual suspects - BS Duelers, Yokos and Michelins - but also wanted to know how are the MRF Wanderers rated? Any other tyres that I should consider?

The vehicle's running is mostly on decent roads in a 70-30 city-highway split, with bad roads being encountered only in the monsoons.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 15th February 2015 at 22:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks