Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2016, 07:46   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Would you still recommend to NOT go for synthetics?
In any modern auto petrol engine with the internal build clearances achievable today, as long as the oil is of the right grade and is genuine, there is never any reason to NOT do this except financial, because you also must change it as often as you would change a mineral oil, unless the car maker specifies otherwise.

As to the financial aspects, it becomes a personal priorities thing; I happen to be, like the AB character in Piku, kanjoos, with better use for my money. And all my cars have been impeccably maintained for over 40 years now, so there is some experience to make up for lack of an auto engineering degree. I have never suffered from engine failure ever, or the need for a premature engine rebuild, so I will never now move to a synthetic until the required mineral is not available anymore. Or unless I have a car like my son's Honda, where the maker spec does not permit use of mineral.

I also don't spend money on food supplements and fancy multivitamins by the way - more of the kanjoos thing; conservative eating habits and the daily 10 km walk/run that my golden retriever forces on me, takes care of the other engine in my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
Yes I was watching that thread with amusement; quite an interesting discussion happening there.
That thread became more amusing since you wrote this.
If you are like me that will use the car in anger in 4wd mode less than once in year or more, the following might be helpful to keep the FWH in good running order - other than any maintenance prescribed for it by AISIN.
Drive the car in 4H, safely even on tarmac, for a few minutes with the FWH open - Starter suggested this clever trick in the other thread. Or, drive the car in 2WD mode, with the FWH locked. Both will deliver the same result. If you leave the FWH in open mode for months on end, the latter may be the better option, to also exercise the mechanicals used for locking/unlocking inside the FWH itself.

I also realised another advantage of FWH, though not enough to have me install them. I rarely give this car for a 3M wash, but recently I did so after a long drive to the coast. As is common, the service tech that drove the car around inside the place was fascinated with the second lever, and thought it will be a good idea to drive and manoeuvre it in that small tight place in 4WD. When I took delivery of the car, I was dismayed to see the 4WD light turn on and I immediately corrected that. I had my heart in my mouth, when on a straight road engaging and disengaging 4WD was more difficult that before, and with a clunk each time. But over the course of a couple of days the car sorted itself out, and things are back to normal. But this common abuse can be avoided in a FWH car, by leaving the hubs open. Even if the mechanic fiddles around with the small lever then, it should have no wind up effect; I doubt if any of them know enough to also lock the FWH, or will bother to do so.

Last edited by Sawyer : 19th November 2016 at 07:51.
Sawyer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 06:15   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post

That thread became more amusing since you wrote this.
If you are like me that will use the car in anger in 4wd mode less than once in year or more, the following might be helpful to keep the FWH in good running order - other than any maintenance prescribed for it by AISIN.
Drive the car in 4H, safely even on tarmac, for a few minutes with the FWH open - Starter suggested this clever trick in the other thread. Or, drive the car in 2WD mode, with the FWH locked. Both will deliver the same result. If you leave the FWH in open mode for months on end, the latter may be the better option, to also exercise the mechanicals used for locking/unlocking inside the FWH itself.

I also realised another advantage of FWH, though not enough to have me install them. I rarely give this car for a 3M wash, but recently I did so after a long drive to the coast. As is common, the service tech that drove the car around inside the place was fascinated with the second lever, and thought it will be a good idea to drive and manoeuvre it in that small tight place in 4WD. When I took delivery of the car, I was dismayed to see the 4WD light turn on and I immediately corrected that. I had my heart in my mouth, when on a straight road engaging and disengaging 4WD was more difficult that before, and with a clunk each time. But over the course of a couple of days the car sorted itself out, and things are back to normal. But this common abuse can be avoided in a FWH car, by leaving the hubs open. Even if the mechanic fiddles around with the small lever then, it should have no wind up effect; I doubt if any of them know enough to also lock the FWH, or will bother to do so.
Thanks for your input.

I prefer the method of engaging the hubs while driving the vehicle in 2WD mode (it will mimic the action of that of a Gypsy with permanently locked hubs and lubricate innards of the hub mechanism). As for the transfer case itself, engaging it once in a few months on an unpaved surface will keep it in ship shape.

I have no intention of taking the Gypsy rock crawling, the 4WH/L will only be engaged when confronted with inclement weather conditions (no dearth of that in this part of the country during winter) or when negotiating steep unpaved inclines in the interior Himalayas.

Currently I’m more worried about the condition of the car as the car has been parked since June 22nd with no one to drive it as my parents are traveling overseas since then. One of my friends fires it up it once every two/three weeks but that’s it. I’m traveling to India in December & counting every day anxiously. You guys are so lucky to just walk into your garage and drive off in the wheels of your choice.

Some may laugh at it but I actually explored the option of importing Gyspy into Canada however found out that it neither meets the crash test safety nor emission norms in addition to being right hand drive so I guess I will have to be contented with driving it on my yearly trips, sigh…..
Old 22nd November 2016, 10:39   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
Currently I’m more worried about the condition of the car as the car has been parked since June 22nd with no one to drive it as my parents are traveling overseas since then. One of my friends fires it up it once every two/three weeks but that’s it.
Yes, this is a challenge. My son is a master on oil tankers and he is away for 4-5 month stretches. It falls on me to keep his Civic in good shape then, which I do by taking it for a 20 kilometre spin every ten days. Your friend ought to be at least able to move it back and forth such that the tyres aren't resting on the same spot all the time, even if he can't take it out for a spin - which of course is desirable.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 12:37   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also realised another advantage of FWH, though not enough to have me install them
Forget about 3M guys, this happened with my Gypsy recently during its first free service at MASS. Having gauged their "competency" levels well in advance when it came to the Gypsy, I had specifically told the SA about NOT engaging 4WD while on tarmac. When I came to take delivery of the car, the first thing I checked was the green "4WD" indicator on the console (I love it, BTW, for reasons unknown to me - so much so that I sometimes engage the 4WD lever just to see it glow ) and to my relief, it was off. However, one of the blokes there offered to take the car out to the delivery area for me and to do that, he had to do some deft maneuvers. When I saw him from a distance, he was bent over the gear console and fiddling around - I instantly knew what was the matter. I ran over to the car, but not before he had reversed it about 10-15 m, and indeed the 4WD indicator was ON. I blasted him, his team-mate, as well as the assistant works manager who came out to check what the ruckus was all about. The AWM blasted his guys and just as I was getting surprised by the fact that he was versed with 4WD usage, I heard him say - "Don't you know, it is engaged only in the hills"

On exercising the 4WD mechanism, every other day I drive the car in 4WD mode for a very short distance (3-4 m) even if on tarmac in a perfectly straight line. This provides the required workout without a possibility of any damage. Of course, I do not miss any opportunity to drive it around on gravel / sand wherever I can find some.

Last edited by cool_dube : 22nd November 2016 at 12:47.
Old 22nd November 2016, 13:22   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This provides the required workout without a possibility of any damage.
Do it if you enjoy it, but it is not needed on a stock car. Connected always to the front wheels, all the front gear is working all the time; it is just disengaged from the engine drive in the gear box/transfer case. All that is needed for the "exercise" is an occasional playing around with the smaller lever back and forth to all its slots, with the engine running and the clutch pressed down, to keep the linkages happy.
Old 22nd November 2016, 17:29   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I heard him say - "Don't you know, it is engaged only in the hills"
On exercising the 4WD mechanism, every other day I drive the car in 4WD mode for a very short distance (3-4 m) even if on tarmac in a perfectly straight line.
Lol. 4WD gaadi hai, double power! Common perception, that.
My finding is that driving in 4wd on tarmac is safe for short distances when doing what you suggest, but with your hands removed from the steering wheel. With no centre differential, 4WD selection means that the drive train will always try to prevent the front wheels from turning; and if you are turning even so with steering input and the tyres are not slipping, something has to give and that will be the driveline. With your hands off the steering wheel you are letting the drive train stay in full command of the front wheels, with no contradictory input to fight against. So, hands off the steering wheel. If the car drifts, either the surface isn't flat or the alignment needs attention. Either way, best stop and move to 2WD and decide reasons for drift/next steps.
I suggest you will soon give up with the "exercising". I stopped in year 2!
Old 22nd November 2016, 17:54   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... and if you are turning even so with steering input and the tyres are not slipping, something has to give and that will be the driveline
I hope the debacle at the workshop did not mess up the tranny of my Gypsy . I am sure he did not drive it for more than 10-12 m at best. As of now, there are no perceptible changes in the driving behavior - either in 2WD or 4WD mode.

Seriously, how can they have such buffoons at authorized service centers! I am awaiting the feedback call from Maruti and will raise this point for sure.

Last edited by cool_dube : 22nd November 2016 at 17:57.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 18:08   #443
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I’m more worried about the condition of the car as the car has been parked since June 22nd with no one to drive
I will be happy to help you if you want, let's meet over a coffee in Calgary sometime

Last edited by Turbanator : 22nd November 2016 at 18:12.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2016, 18:46   #444
Senior - BHPian

[quote=cool_dube;4097117] As of now, there are no perceptible changes in the driving behavior - either in 2WD or 4WD mode./QUOTE]
And if the smaller lever still moves just as easily as before down into 4WD and then easily across and up, with no loud clunks, all is well, not to worry!
Old 24th November 2016, 00:33   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

I will be happy to help you if you want, let's meet over a coffee in Calgary sometime
Thank you, I did not realize that you're based out of Calgary. Great to know that I have a fellow BHPian in town.

I live in Cranston towards the South.I'll PM you my number & we can co-ordinate accordingly.
Old 25th November 2016, 18:37   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And if the smaller lever still moves just as easily as before down into 4WD and then easily across and up, with no loud clunks, all is well, not to worry!
All well on this front - the short lever is as smooth as it was on day-1.
Old 27th November 2016, 06:55   #447
BHPian

Hi Cool_Dube,

When i picked up my car from the showroom, i noticed the 4WD light on after driving about 0.5 km. Thats when i realised the maruti folks had fiddled with it. I immediately stopped and switched it off

There have been no issues since then

Shyam
shyamkrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2016, 21:24   #448
BHPian

Quote:
I hope the debacle at the workshop did not mess up the tranny of my Gypsy . I am sure he did not drive it for more than 10-12 m at best. As of now, there are no perceptible changes in the driving behavior - either in 2WD or 4WD mode.

Seriously, how can they have such buffoons at authorized service centers! I am awaiting the feedback call from Maruti and will raise this point for sure.
I had a similar experience when taking delivery of my MG413W after the first service. Short rides with 4WD on does no damage. It is because plains people have no knowledge of 4X4 -- what it actually is and where it is to be used -- and that includes service staff ! Even in our cramped office parking, whenever I had to give my keys to a professional driver to move my Gypsy, I would find it later with 4WD engaged ! I keep praying that the lamp of that light never gives up, or my tranny will ! The two levers might be confusing the other non-4WD drivers, and they instinctively must be going for the shorter one, as no decent car these days has a lever as long as that of Gypsy.
Once, in my youth I was trying to go to the Sunderbans town of Canning at night under the influence of my cousin -- an adventure outing with intentions of getting fish cheap. On a narrow road in heavy showers, we decided to turn back, but had to get into paddy fields to reverse and turn. The Jonga got stuck and I had to engage 4x4 to come out. Back on the tar road, it refused to go back to 2WD, even with back and forth actions. I gave up and continued driving in 4x4, every few kms stopping and trying to come out. Only after some ten kms the fella gave up and accepted 2-High. Though I had experienced a little tightening (binding)towards the end, there was no permanent damage. Accepted that JONGA is Arnold What-so-ever, and Gypsy is tiny and puny, but still, there will be no damage on extremely short 4x4 episodes on tarmac.
SnakemanJohny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2016, 09:18   #449
BHPian

<Mods - this isn't probably a relevant post, so delete this if you feel so>

Folks,

Sharing this video link, which is probably a show drill by the Army (most likely EME Corps).
However, what struck me was the structural simplicity of the Gypsy and which may be one of the strong appeals of this vehicle for the Army. Dismantle, ferry across overflowing streams on boats, re-assemble and its back in business. Or many other such use cases.

Anyway, makes for a nice watch.

cheers
lazy
lazy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2016, 12:50   #450
BHPian

Sharing a thread from the site to bring it to the attention of many Gypsy fans/owners/critics who actively follow and participate in this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ri-storme.html

I wonder how long we are going to have the opportunity to buy one from the showroom, however bitter that experience maybe. On the other hand, the Army "discarding" the Gypsy fleet might be good news to enthusiasts wanting to procure a used one. This also gives rise to another discussion: availability of spare parts after Army has stopped using the Gypsy. Previously, any after sales/spare parts argument about the Gypsy would end in "it serves the army, no worries whatsoever".

Neel

Most Viewed