Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2018, 11:36   #586
BHPian

Re: My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Devil View Post
Yes, the mattress is perfect and it helps me keep the weight down as well. My next job is to come up with a way to attach mosquito net on the window without messing up the looks inside.
just was browsing and found this question - try to get a good, self adhesive Velcro and nicely go around the windows and paste the adhesive portion of the velcro. Use the other piece of the Velcro to make a border and stitch it to a good quality net. You can then easily fix, remove the net whenever you want.

Something like this..

https://www.amazon.in/Heavy-Adhesive...9-5912cf32db5b

Swami
Old 18th November 2018, 11:54   #587
BHPian

Is it just me or has the OE soft top really gotten that sloppy?

I am on the verge of picking up an ST Gypsy for myself, but I remember the soft top being a nice tight fit. This looks like it was stitched by the fellow in my village who makes canopies for farm trollies.

Is this the fit for the top I should expect? It almost makes me want to vomit.

Old 18th November 2018, 19:41   #588
Senior - BHPian

It's sloppy only. You must get it stiffened by using foam on the bars to make them thicker. Use for centre and forward bars, the last bar is already thick enough. Or better yet, get the hard top.
Old 18th November 2018, 20:52   #589
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
Is it just me or has the OE soft top really gotten that sloppy?

This looks like it was stitched by the fellow in my village who makes canopies for farm trollies.

Is this the fit for the top I should expect? It almost makes me want to vomit.
Looks you were away for a while Harbir, welcome back.

Well if the mere pictures of the canopy are making you feel bad, better don’t even look at a new one in person, you can seriously catch a diarrhea. Every single panel or the plastic parts in the new one is worst then what they used to give 30 Years before.

BUT

I can’t stop looking at this beauty and probably others also hold same opinion. You don’t buy Gypsy for fit and finish or horse power, it’s a nostalgia.

So consider this only if you want to embrace it the way it is and you can do all in the world including taking help of your village mechanics to restore a new one to its past glory.

Last edited by Turbanator : 18th November 2018 at 21:10.
Old 18th November 2018, 21:55   #590
BHPian

Thanks for the welcome back!

I want a new one for sure. I also expect that the tooling having gotten worn out will have reduced the fit and finish of the metal body parts quite a bit. But its still disappointing that Maruti has not bothered to keep the quality up on soft parts. A badly fitting top is not the result of the tools and dies having gotten old. It's pure indifference.

I don't even mind that so much as that it shows that Maruti itself became indifferent to its own standards on its own product. And that's depressing.

Perhaps that's what happens when your only customer is the government.

I wonder what the options are for getting a new top made in the aftermarket that fits well.

Also, have you any info on fitting an A/C? I am planning to just remove the top and use the vehicle only october-march and park it indoors the rest of the year. I want this one as a Keeper so I can have the old school pre-digital experience with japanese engineering for the next 20 years. so I intend to do no mods on it, but if somebody in the Delhi NCR does a high quality, well engineered and integrated A/C fit, I might go with that so that the vehicle is usable year round. Have you got any info on that?
Old 3rd January 2019, 16:13   #591
BHPian

Dear Friends ,

First of all wishing all a very Happy New Year. Took the delivery of my brand new GypsyKing in Dec last year.
Being a fence sitter for years, the news of gypsy being phased out got me moving and a ready availability of Dec18 manufactured Gypsy sealed the deal. Booked it on 12th Dec and took the delivery on 16th Dec.
Price: 7 Lakhs ( Onroad incl. of Insurance + Ext. Warranty + RTO registration )
Driven it for about 1200 Kms until now with two road trips to hills and then back to Chandigarh and its been a revelation, loving every moment of it.

Mods: None whatsoever as of now other than fitting a Stereo with 2 Speakers in the designated slot in front foot well. This however didn't go as expected. The guy at the local accessories shop after removing the stereo bay declared that there is no dedicated wiring\connector for the stereo power source. He was checking few cables and by the time I could react he stripped couple of existing cables to draw a power for stereo . Had a heated argument with him but his reason was this is how its done if a dedicated connector is not there, I would have probably skipped the install altogether had I known this is the case. Please confirm if this is correct and if not, then how its done as I would hate any such patch job with stock wiring and would get it corrected at the earliest.
Attached Thumbnails
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-gypsy.jpg  

AVL500 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 20:44   #592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVL500 View Post
Dear Friends ,

First of all wishing all a very Happy New Year. Took the delivery of my brand new GypsyKing in Dec last year.
Being a fence sitter for years, the news of gypsy being phased out got me moving and a ready availability of Dec18 manufactured Gypsy sealed the deal. Booked it on 12th Dec and took the delivery on 16th Dec.
Price: 7 Lakhs ( Onroad incl. of Insurance + Ext. Warranty + RTO registration )
Driven it for about 1200 Kms until now with two road trips to hills and then back to Chandigarh and its been a revelation, loving every moment of it.

Mods: None whatsoever as of now other than fitting a Stereo with 2 Speakers in the designated slot in front foot well. This however didn't go as expected. The guy at the local accessories shop after removing the stereo bay declared that there is no dedicated wiring\connector for the stereo power source. He was checking few cables and by the time I could react he stripped couple of existing cables to draw a power for stereo . Had a heated argument with him but his reason was this is how its done if a dedicated connector is not there, I would have probably skipped the install altogether had I known this is the case. Please confirm if this is correct and if not, then how its done as I would hate any such patch job with stock wiring and would get it corrected at the earliest.
Congratulations on your new aquisition, a prized one for sure. On the stereo, he is right - there is no dedicated wiring and even in my case, connections were "drawn" from existing wiring. It's been 2+ years now and no issues thus far.

Enjoy your new toy!!
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 00:11   #593
BHPian

Have this slight concern about the idling RPM in Gypsy and would request experienced members to shed some light.
My Gypsy cold starts with high idling rpm (Unusually high if I go by my experience with other cars) but that would eventually settle down reasonably after engine warmed up. Got the first service done this Saturday and ever since I get a feeling that RPM stays high even after it has warmed up. Infact when I press the clutch it gave a feeling like I pressed clutch with throttle a bit open ! Next day it appeared a bit better but RPM definitely felt higher for a warmed up engine. And to the best of my knowledge all they did in service was a wash and a so called checkup. Any advise here will be definitely helpful before I go back to MASS guys.
Old 15th January 2019, 09:06   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Have this slight concern about the idling RPM in Gypsy and would request experienced members to shed some light.
My Gypsy cold starts with high idling rpm (Unusually high if I go by my experience with other cars) but that would eventually settle down reasonably after engine warmed up. Got the first service done this Saturday and ever since I get a feeling that RPM stays high even after it has warmed up. Infact when I press the clutch it gave a feeling like I pressed clutch with throttle a bit open ! Next day it appeared a bit better but RPM definitely felt higher for a warmed up engine. And to the best of my knowledge all they did in service was a wash and a so called checkup. Any advise here will be definitely helpful before I go back to MASS guys.
In the majority of vehicles, engine idle speed is controlled via an idle control valve (ICV). A faulty or blown fuse in electronically controlled systems can cause the Idle Air Control (IAC) motor to malfunction, leading to a higher than normal engine idle speed.

Idling speed of the engine is driven primarily by two parameters; intake air temperature which is dependent upon the ambient temperature and coolant temperature. In a cold engine the thermostat does not allow the coolant to circulate so that the engine warms up quickly.

A vacuum leak will also cause a high engine idling speed as the oxygen sensor detects lean operation and the ECM then tries to compensate, which can result in abnormal idle.

Your vehicle is relatively new therefore any of these conditions are unlikely.

Gypsy typically starts off at a higher rpm when the engine is cold & rpm remains high for a minute or so before settling around 1000-1200 rpm.

If this condition persists then take it to the dealer and speak to the service manager directly. It is not a complex problem, they should be able to diagnose it successfully.

Good luck!
Vikram Arya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 10:16   #595
BHPian

Was looking under the dash on passenger side and found this empty connector ( above parcel tray - pic attached ) I suppose this may be for connecting stereo HU. Please enlighten.
Attached Thumbnails
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-ee2aeb74b8c74d70a12764b1d28e1045.jpeg  

Old 1st February 2019, 11:10   #596
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Was looking under the dash on passenger side and found this empty connector ( above parcel tray - pic attached ) I suppose this may be for connecting stereo HU. Please enlighten.
That’s the OBD2 port. It’s there to connect diagnostics tools. To check/clear error codes and access to the ECU.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 14:30   #597
BHPian

Quote:
My Gypsy cold starts with high idling rpm (Unusually high if I go by my experience with other cars) but that would eventually settle down reasonably after engine warmed up.
Check the temperature needle lifting up. If the needle move closer to the centre mark then it indicates engine in its optimum temperature range wherein the idle should normalize. If it still stays high, then as Vikram Arya quoted, you need to talk to the service manager. Usually the idle stays high to bring the engine to its operating temperature as fast as possible.

You Gypsy sure looks dapper in stock form and good that you are not spoiling it by garish modifications. Pl. post some more pictures with interiors - it is rare to see stock new Gypsies these days.
On the Audio part, i second you on the idiot cutting wires from your loop to get power for the stereo but nevertheless Lesson learnt. Be careful when you take it to technicians/accessory shops.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 14:53   #598
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My Gypsy cold starts with high idling rpm (Unusually high if I go by my experience with other cars) but that would eventually settle down reasonably after engine warmed up.
It's normal. Mine also does that way. Service has nothing to do with it. I don't think dealership guys knows anything about Gypsy except to change oil or filter.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2019, 20:46   #599
BHPian

Every Gypsy, and most (if not all) MPFI cars start cold with high RPM due to the automatic choke, to help the engine warm up fast, after which it settles down to normal.
The same happens if you switch on the headlights, or when you turn on the A/C (if Gypsy is equipped with the latter), to cope with the extra load on alternator/battery/engine.
SnakemanJohny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 23:58   #600
BHPian

It feels good to see a brand new gypsy. It takes me down the memory lane. My gypsy is 7yrs 9mt young, and it still drives like a dream. Gypsy grows on you as you keep driving it. Only thing i recommend on a new gypsy is to change OEM tyre with Yokohama geolanders 215-75-R15, it makes a big difference. My gypsy will own me till it keeps on moving, let me see how many more years i will be driving it, easily may be another 10-15 yrs, until it becomes a classic. till then it will be a stock vehicle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks