Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2017, 14:37   #481
Senior - BHPian

Re: My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by raja_ys View Post
Guys,
As am looking to buy a Gypsy would like to know the pro's and con's between a hard top and soft top gypsy. My usage is around 6000 kms per year with 60% highway usage and 40% Delhi city use. I generally keep the vehicle for 12 years in stock condition, currently have a Scorpio S10 2wd 2015 model done 19000 kms and a Chevy Spark Lt 2013 model which has run 20000kms , Plan to sell off the Scorpio as I dont feel the fun in it. Have looked at the Isuzu Dmax Vcross but feel overpriced for the features it offers. So kindly advice.
Unless you want to travel to high reaches of Himalayas where speed is limited or take it to reserved forests where diesel vehicles are not allowed, a Gypsy makes no sense except for its OOMF factor.

I am not in favour of procuring a pre owned Gypsy as a good copy at a reasonable price is a rare find. As far as new ones go; as described by a few fellow BHPians; you get only the soft top (inspite of hard top being listed), and you will keep repairing/upgrading a Gypsy forever as evident in a few posts here.

I think that you should consider the Scorpio S4+ 4x4, which has none of the quirky electronics of the higher models -
. As a highway tourer that is better than both the Gypsy and the 4x2 Scorpio.
. It has hard top so safety is taken care of.
. It has coil springs so ride is much better.
. It runs on diesel so fuel cost will be less than half of Gypsy,
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 14:57   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I am not in favour of procuring a pre owned Gypsy as a good copy at a reasonable price is a rare find.
Completely agree!

Quote:
As far as new ones go; as described by a few fellow BHPians; you get only the soft top (inspite of hard top being listed), and you will keep repairing/upgrading a Gypsy forever as evident in a few posts here.
Would strongly disagree on the "repair" part above. A new Gypsy is as bullet-proof as a vehicle can get! Heck, even 15-20 year old specimens (including the one I sold off and the one Shankar is currently driving) drive like a charm even today. Yes, when it comes to the "upgrade" part of it, there is no end to the mods you can do to a Gypsy

Raja - I guess some more insight into your intended usage would enable us to guide you better.

Last edited by cool_dube : 20th March 2017 at 15:04.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 17:56   #483
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI

Quote:
Unless you want to travel to high reaches of Himalayas where speed is limited or take it to reserved forests where diesel vehicles are not allowed, a Gypsy makes no sense except for its OOMF factor.

I am not in favour of procuring a pre owned Gypsy as a good copy at a reasonable price is a rare find. As far as new ones go; as described by a few fellow BHPians; you get only the soft top (inspite of hard top being listed), and you will keep repairing/upgrading a Gypsy forever as evident in a few posts here.

I think that you should consider the Scorpio S4+ 4x4, which has none of the quirky electronics of the higher models -

. As a highway tourer that is better than both the Gypsy and the 4x2 Scorpio.

. It has hard top so safety is taken care of.

. It has coil springs so ride is much better.

. It runs on diesel so fuel cost will be less than half of Gypsy,

Sir Roy
The Gypsy is a pure cult vehicle. Buy one only with the eyes and wallet wide open.
One cannot compare the Gypsy with anything at all from the world of modern cars.
Most people buy one only for rallying, racing, jungle safaris, photography or just because they love the vehicle beyond reason.
As mentioned many times this is a heart driven decision and not a mind driven one.
Yes it is tough to get a top class old Gypsy. Those who own them tend to hold on to these. And those that are generally available in the used market are hard used and generally over priced especially in Bangalore.
Yes if one buys a reasonably kept old beast at a reasonable price like I did, then one is most certainly looking at spending a lac or so to bring it up to scratch or at least upto ones taste.
Yes also to the fact that the desire to mod it and jazz it up is irresistible. And yes the mod possibilities are endless.
But it is completely in a class of its own as a beater/ off roader vehicle.
And invariably it is NOT likely to be the only vehicle in ones garage.
Spares are relatively cheap. Mostly mechanical and less electronics means it is a super bare bones less comfortable light weight off road capable beater vehicle.
Meant only for sheer enjoyment, exhilaration and the incredible passion that drives a few of us!

Theres nothing quite like a Gypsy.
It brings out the innate Gypsy/ Wanderlust in one's self like nothing else can! Not even my Yeti makes me feel this way. I dont know why - it is beyond reason! I have driven and owned all sorts of Jeeps including the older CJ 500 Mahindra and MM540/ MM550 and Bolero and Scorpio through my life so far and indeed own the thoroughly modern and highly capable Yeti now and indeed this is the third Gypsy in my life! Nothing but Nothing comes even close to the Gypsy King 1.3 Mpfi version - given what I use it for!

I drive mine daily 10-12 kms to a round of badminton and back when Im in town. And to Golf and to explore various places on weekends. I absolutely love the feeling of this 4 wheeled motorbike! Not for me the high reaches of the Himalayas - even Nandi Hills, Chamundi Hills, Coorg, Ooty or Yercaud or Hessarghatta will do me nicely!

Its made me young and highly energetic again- the nearest thing to the holy grail of the fountain of eternal youth, to me, is my 15 year old Gypsy!

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-imageuploadedbyteambhp1490012746.293190.jpg
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-imageuploadedbyteambhp1490012759.847712.jpg

Last edited by shankar.balan : 20th March 2017 at 18:14.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 21:03   #484
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,
As am looking to buy a Gypsy would like to know the pro's and con's between a hard top and soft top gypsy. My usage is around 6000 kms per year with 60% highway usage and 40% Delhi city use. I generally keep the vehicle for 12 years in stock condition, currently have a Scorpio S10 2wd 2015 model done 19000 kms and a Chevy Spark Lt 2013 model which has run 20000kms , Plan to sell off the Scorpio as I dont feel the fun in it. Have looked at the Isuzu Dmax Vcross but feel overpriced for the features it offers. So kindly advice.
Why do you want a Gypsy or Vcross? You didn't mention any particular need of offroading as such? Just for highway runs, your current Scorpio should be able to serve you well, or is there something that you don't like in it or can't live with anymore? An XUV will be a better bet in that case.

Gypsy and Vcross, though poles apart, are similar in one aspect. They are lifestyle vehicles and come with their own set of pros/cons. Take a step back and critically evaluate the need before going with either.
Old 23rd March 2017, 11:19   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Why do you want a Gypsy or Vcross? You didn't mention any particular need of offroading as such? Just for highway runs, your current Scorpio should be able to serve you well, or is there something that you don't like in it or can't live with anymore? An XUV will be a better bet in that case.

Gypsy and Vcross, though poles apart, are similar in one aspect. They are lifestyle vehicles and come with their own set of pros/cons. Take a step back and critically evaluate the need before going with either.
Thank you dry ice, shankar and cool dude for your replies.

My simple requirement are as follows:-

Practically need a car that can go anywhere, as I travel across Kerala, Andhra, Delhi, Jammu, Himachal, Punjab, UP, Rajasthan, Gujarat
90% highway or outdoor usage like Badrinath, unlaid roads to farms etc.
10% in city.
Require a good boot space that can fit a Bullet(currently dismantle TVS Star City whenever I travel in the Scorpio), Travel Bags, cute little Pet Dogs, other Miscellaneous stuff.
Should be able to spend the night in the car in case of no hotel.
Budget is 5-15 lakhs.
Need reliable service and availability of spares from the manufacture for at least 12 years for the same model car.
Need a couple of charging points along with a provision for installing a good music system.
Fuel type not an issue as long as Vehicle is low maintenance.
Lockable cabin option preferred.
I generally maintain my vehicles in stock conditions ( No changes of Tyre size, suspension lift, etc. Only minor upgrades like bull guard, music system, etc).

Current vehicles:-
Bullet for passion and pleasure rides. (June 2014 model 7024 kms)
Spark for city use. (August 2013 20100 kms)
Scorpio for outdoor. Jan 2015 18600 kms)
Rapid for my wife. (August 2016 9000 kms)

Reason for selling out Scorpio is poor service from Mahindra, they scribble vehicle entry order number, etc with a colour pencil on the windscreen whenever I enter the workshop for service.
Attached Thumbnails
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-kris2.jpg  

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-kris1.jpg  

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-tara1.jpg  

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-tara2.jpg  

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-bullu1.jpg  

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-spark1.jpg  

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-rapid1.jpg  

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-scoopy1.jpg  

raja_ys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 16:08   #486
BANNED

Mod note: Post Edited. Please avoid Quoting entire large post for a short reply. Affects readability especially on mobile devices. Thanks.

Quote:
===========

I generally maintain my vehicles in stock conditions .

With this kind of a laundry list of requirements in all honesty the Gypsy will NOT fit your bill.

You'll need a specially modified Van type thing and even then I dont think your bullet is going to fit inside alongside all the other stuff.

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd March 2017 at 18:34. Reason: Please avoid Quoting entire large post for a short reply. Affects readability especially on mobile devices. Thanks.
Old 23rd March 2017, 17:32   #487
Senior - BHPian

Xenon, Gateway or D Maxs are only vehicles that may fit your requirement and that too after a few modifications
- A custom rear hard top
- A ramp cum tailgate for loading the bike
- A bench-cum-bed
- Storage boxes

Here are some links
https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...e-into-a-truck
http://www.cartoq.com/oil-change-when-should-you/
http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/transporting.htm
Old 23rd March 2017, 17:34   #488
Distinguished - BHPian

Mod note: Posted Edited. Please avoid Quoting entire large post for a short reply. Affects readability especially on mobile devices. Thanks.

Quote:
Thank you dry ice, shankar and cool dude for your replies.

===========
I generally maintain my vehicles in stock conditions ( No changes of Tyre size, suspension lift, etc. Only minor upgrades like bull guard, music system, etc).
Gypsy will fall terribly short on your expectations.
It still shines on the non-existent roads but you will be at a loss on the highways.

Go for a Vcross and get it modded to suit your needs. I doubt though if RE would fit in the load bay even with modifications.

Quote:
Reason for selling out Scorpio is poor service from Mahindra, they scribble vehicle entry order number, etc with a colour pencil on the windscreen whenever I enter the workshop for service.
If that's the only pain point, try exploring the directory section and taking it to a nearby competent FNG.

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd March 2017 at 18:35. Reason: Please avoid Quoting entire large post for a short reply. Affects readability especially on mobile devices. Thanks.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2017, 17:17   #489
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
===
Next, I need to re set my front bumper a bit because very occasionally especially when on a steep descent and while turning left, Im sensing that the right front tyre touches the edge of the bumper.

There is a dent on the bonnet where it meets the windshield area caused by something heavy having fallen on the vehicle sometime in its life. I need to tinker it and get it sorted.

I need to reset the dashboard also and mount it slightly higher than it is now. It is an old and pretty tired looking dashboard. Replacing it completely with all the trims will cost 5000 odd but that's not really needed right now.
============
Another 25000-30000 odd worth of expenditure is required to get this vehicle completely upto standard.!

Quoting myself here.
Am plunging into doing these jobs soon.
Looks clearly like about 30 Grand worth of expenditure ahead to do all of the above listed jobs thoroughly. (as per my discussion with Nagaraj today)

Might go to Dinesh of Trend Auto for the bodywork.

And just do the dashboard, bumper, seatbelts, wipers and hardtop at Nagaraj's garage.

But I will sleep on it and plan for this a little later in the Summer....

Wish me luck!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 1st April 2017 at 19:05. Reason: Edited quoted post for better readability
Old 30th March 2017, 14:30   #490
BANNED

Quote:
Quoting myself here.
Am plunging into doing these jobs soon.
Looks clearly like about 30 Grand worth of expenditure ahead to do all of the above listed jobs thoroughly. (as per my discussion with Nagaraj today)

Might go to Dinesh of Trend Auto for the bodywork.

And just do the dashboard, bumper, seatbelts, wipers and hardtop at Nagaraj's garage.

But I will sleep on it and plan for this a little later in the Summer....

Wish me luck!
Additional Info:

I went to Dinesh of Trend this morning and he said that he can do all the minor body work and paint touch ups even after a month or so and at a relatively less price, given that the work is not frighteningly huge.

So Im thinking now that I just want to give the Gypsy to Nagaraj and get the following things done for starters;

1. Change the hardtop to the new one that he has - simply because it is a very good hardtop and the old one is really quite tatty now.
2. Reset the bumper so that there is a little more space between the tyre and the bumper
3. Change the seat belts to new ones completely and have some far more comfortable self retracting type seatbelts in the vehicle.
4. Change the Wiper Linkages to accommodate the Type 2 Wiper Arms and Blades.
5. Reset the dashboard so it becomes flush with the windshield.

All the above should get done at a relatively lesser cost overall - maybe 20K or so should see me through.

Later, after Dinesh gets done with the tinkering and painting aspects on the offending parts, I will cover the bonnet vents with a nice sticker or something so that it stops leaking water.

I will also get that left side door attended to by changing it for a brand new door, since that glass channel only comes with a new door and cannot be further jugaad-o-fied any more by welding etc.

And of course, the little bit of body work tinkering and rust removal etc.

Everything needs to be done slowly, over time so that one is not completely and drastically out of pocket all at once and at the same time, one enjoys the whole restoration journey too. I can spend the remaining 10K or so for the rest of the stuff, later. Not immediately.

Its a lovely Gypsy otherwise, the engine is just singing and it drives very nicely.

Hope I get to keep it for a long time to come!
Old 5th April 2017, 21:58   #491
BANNED

So I have given the Gypsy for its hardtop change.

One piece of rotten news - the damage which was evident near the bottom of the windscreen is really much worse in terms of rust than I thought.

So lots of tinkering work out there!

The dashboard is off and the earlier hidden damage is now exposed and the cancer can be treated properly.

Am glad I asked them to tear the car apart else we would have just been ignoring this lurking peril of rust.

At the same time, we are welding a metal plate to cover the front vents to permanently seal it off.

Pics attached of the rust damage in front which I am having repaired now.

The Gypsy will be away for atleast another 4-5 days getting all this TLC done.

I want to make sure that it gets nurtured slowly back to top condition as best as I can!

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-imageuploadedbyteambhp1491409548.900521.jpg
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 11:28   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay3sh View Post
Hey drbones, happened to read through your posts in this thread. I am curious if you still own this gypsy? If yes, how is it doing? Rarely do people buy gypsy as their primary vehicle!

- JB
Jay3sh , yes my gypsy still owns me . Its not my daily drive now , but a weekend toy . Recently did a 13days 6000kms drive to Spiti valley , it amazes me with its versatility even today , Its my caravan for long drives even today .

Quote:
Sir Roy

Theres nothing quite like a Gypsy.
It brings out the innate Gypsy/ Wanderlust in one's self like nothing else can! Not even my Yeti makes me feel this way. I dont know why - it is beyond reason! I have driven and owned all sorts of Jeeps including the older CJ 500 Mahindra and MM540/ MM550 and Bolero and Scorpio through my life so far and indeed own the thoroughly modern and highly capable Yeti now and indeed this is the third Gypsy in my life! Nothing but Nothing comes even close to the Gypsy King 1.3 Mpfi version - given what I use it for!

Its made me young and highly energetic again- the nearest thing to the holy grail of the fountain of eternal youth, to me, is my 15 year old Gypsy!
shankar.balan , perfectly said .
One can understand your words only if he owns a gypsy , BTW no one can own a gypsy . Gypsy owns you , it chooses its partner .

I am using my gypsy from past 5yrs 11mts almost 6 yrs , got it brand new in 2011 . thats the best thing i had done till date . countless memories and still counting .
Attached Thumbnails
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-img_2338.jpg  

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-img_2477.jpg  

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-img_2371.jpg  

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-img_2361.jpg  

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-img_2508.jpg  

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-img_3171.jpg  

Last edited by Zappo : 7th April 2017 at 12:34. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
drbones is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 14:34   #493
BANNED

Dr Bones. How was your experience of the Cold Start in the Spiti valley?
Old 7th April 2017, 21:16   #494
BANNED

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI

Work progressing well on the Gypsy.

They have done the metal welding near the bonnet - windshield area and have welded the metal plate to block off the vents too.
Now the new hardtop, the paintwork, the new wiper linkages, arms and blades along with the new seat belts!

Should be all done and dusted next Tuesday or Wednesday!

Cant wait!

By the way the Gypsy looks wonderful with its hard top off!

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-imageuploadedbyteambhp1491579888.824191.jpg
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-imageuploadedbyteambhp1491579899.243448.jpg
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-imageuploadedbyteambhp1491579909.097437.jpg
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-imageuploadedbyteambhp1491579917.585977.jpg
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-imageuploadedbyteambhp1491579927.941040.jpg
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-imageuploadedbyteambhp1491579937.129149.jpg
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-imageuploadedbyteambhp1491579946.833776.jpg
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2017, 11:38   #495
BHPian

Attachment 1628050
Quote:
Dr Bones. How was your experience of the Cold Start in the Spiti valley?
No problem , My gypsy always jumped to life at the first crank , even at -18 degrees .

Last edited by drbones : 9th April 2017 at 11:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks