Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2016, 14:35   #451
Senior - BHPian

Re: My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
I wonder how long we are going to have the opportunity to buy one from the showroom...

This also gives rise to another discussion: availability of spare parts after Army has stopped using the Gypsy...
Cross-posting from the same thread here I would not worry about spares at least for the next 8-10 years.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 09:29   #452
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
The spare wheel cover is very much usable even after upgrading to 215s.
I had BFGs on 215 which has a slightly higher diameter than yokos and yet, i was able to fit the spare wheel cover.

Check it out.

Attachment 1568269

I tried fitting the OEM Gypsy King Cover onto the 215/75/15 tyres.
No such luck at all. It is very difficult for it to stretch right over the tyre so after struggling and struggling I think I shall have to give up!
Old 25th December 2016, 10:57   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I tried fitting the OEM Gypsy King Cover onto the 215/75/15 tyres. No such luck at all. It is very difficult for it to stretch right over the tyre so after struggling and struggling I think I shall have to give up!
Agreed! I tried the same but to no avail. Not sure how Deepak was able to.

BTW, where did you get the OE cover from?
Old 25th December 2016, 11:10   #454
BANNED

Picked it up from an OEM MGP parts store in Bommanahalli.
Was ordered and took a couple weeks.
One way to fit it is to cut the thick elastic and then go to an upholsterer and get him to thread some thick string through the channel (like a pajama) and then pull the cover to whatever extent possible over the spare in an even manner and then pull the string tight and tie it up...
Old 25th December 2016, 11:11   #455
BANNED

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-imageuploadedbyteambhp1482644436.667843.jpg
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-imageuploadedbyteambhp1482644448.257259.jpg
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-imageuploadedbyteambhp1482644458.344809.jpg
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-imageuploadedbyteambhp1482644467.470108.jpg

Pictures taken just now. Poor fitment of spare tyre cover...
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2017, 19:41   #456
BHPian

Quote:
I tried fitting the OEM Gypsy King Cover onto the 215/75/15 tyres.
No such luck at all. It is very difficult for it to stretch right over the tyre so after struggling and struggling I think I shall have to give up!
That OEM cover is very difficult to fit on ANY tyre, even the OEM crossplies. Reason being a very tight elastic band. I still have mine from 2011, and it takes two/three guys to take it off and put it back ! I am waiting for the day when I have a puncture on the way, and I have to cut it open !
Two ways to get around the problem -- remove the original band and fit a weaker elastic band in its place, or a drawstring (pyjama cord), or buy a non-OEM cover ( I had one for my older Gypsy, and the band was less tight and could be easily removed/put on).
SnakemanJohny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2017, 13:02   #457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
That OEM cover is very difficult to fit on ANY tyre, even the OEM crossplies. Reason being a very tight elastic band
Agreed. I realized that the issue is not with the size/girth but the extra-tight elastic. As you said, the best way out is to replace the existing elastic with a slacker one or a regular string which could be knotted pajama style
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2017, 20:55   #458
BANNED

My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-imageuploadedbyteambhp1483370618.525407.jpg
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-imageuploadedbyteambhp1483370688.190444.jpg

Took the combined effort of three mechanics to fix this cover over the spare. The elastic is extremely tight!

Now if I am to use the spare at all, I shall have to cut open the cover.
No way out!
Old 29th January 2017, 18:42   #459
BANNED

In a Gypsy that has run 1.2 lac kms, (like mine has), but whose engine is still pretty good overall, is it worth going for synthetic oil like Shell Helix or would it be more sensible to just go top quality mineral like Castrol Magnatec?
Tomorrow Im giving Mr Gypsy for servicing and oil change even though I just had it done a month ago.
I have added an engine flush fluid to the existing oil and have run the car hard at good speeds in the early morning for about 30 - 40 odd kms.
Tomorrow the existing oil is going to get fully drained and replaced. Hopefully all the muck from the engine will come out.
After replacing the oil Im going to add a Metal Conditioner Additive called Atomic which is like Nulon which we used in the old Ambys.
This coats the pistons and rings and sleeves etc in the engine and helps to increase and enhance the engine compression in old vehicles that have done 1 lac kms plus.
One such treatment they say is good for another 1 lac kms.
The idea is to make this Gypsy's engine sing like when it was new, hence the query about mineral or synthetic oils.
Apart from the above I am changing the rear leaf springs on both right and left side so as to rid the Gypsy of its 'right wing low' characteristics and restore normal height of suspension. Right now the right side rear is about 1-1.5 inches lower than the left side.
Im also adding in 4 brand new Monroe Gas filled shock absorbers. The old shocks are standard and are not out of order but the mechanic says that while they are functional and not lacking in any way they would possibly have weakened with age.
I am hoping with this TLC that my Gypsy will ride as good as new and its elderly engine will sing as good as new!
Lets see!
Old 30th January 2017, 20:07   #460
BANNED

So I went and did it, since I didnt get any replies in time...

Ive got the Gypsy back now from Green Cars Koramangala, after having replaced the rear leaf springs and replaced all four shock absorbers too.

The vehicle height has increased quite a bit.
Yet, when measuring the distance between the tyre bottom and the centrepoint of the wheel arch, the left side measures 83cm and the right side measures 81cm.

Before fitment of the brand new leaf springs (OEM Toyo) they were re cambered upto 6.5 inches on both sides.

Saying this, the Gypsy definitely feels better to ride in with the new leaf springs and the new shock absorbers.

I have had the engine oil flushed completely and replaced the oil filter as well.

We ve now filled up with fresh Mobil Synthetic oil which cost 1350 per litre.

I ve also added in the metal conditioner fluid into the oil tank and the vehicle's engine
does feel smoother and less noisy (this may be paychological) so I will wait for a while longer before passing judgement.

We have also changed all the spark plugs and I have been told to change the battery too quite soon for better enhanced performance.

Else the Gypsy continues soldiering on.

Let me use it for a while and see how the behaviour is overall.

I ve burned another Rs 11000 on this servicing job!
Looks like my Gypsy is going to drink money like it drinks petrol!
Attachment 1601960
Attachment 1601961
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-imageuploadedbyteambhp1485786929.378191.jpg
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-imageuploadedbyteambhp1485786962.144573.jpg
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-imageuploadedbyteambhp1485786993.860276.jpg
Old 30th January 2017, 21:54   #461
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Else the Gypsy continues soldiering on.
Looks your better half will surely get envious with your new love

I think you are enjoying this experience, perhaps more than brand new, I have never owned a Gypsy but going by this thread and one by Vikram I am already getting itchy.
Old 31st January 2017, 07:06   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is up to you. All I spend on it other than fuel is about Rs 4000 a year for annual service because all I care about is keeping it in good running condition, in stock condition other than Geolandars. Once the few mechanicals are up to speed, it should not be any different for you.
On the other hand, if you get into modifying...
Old 31st January 2017, 07:10   #463
BANNED

I m quite obsessed I think...
Saying that the 3 cm difference between the left (which is higher) and the right (which is lower) is apparent to my eye.
Though it doesnt affect the handling at all, it is irritating because I want it just right.
So what I will do is to drive it for a while and then go and get the right side rear leaf cambered to 7.5 inches instead of the present 6.5 inches and thus try and compensate for the 3 cm difference.
Else the vehicle feels and sounds pretty nice for a 15'year old Gypsy.
And of course I shall wait for the engine metal conditioner to 'bed down' slowly and coat the innards nicely.
Hoping that the compression will register a palpable increase making it feel like a 'tight' new engine over time and lots of care.
Smaller changes like new battery and wiper arms and blades can happen over the next few weeks...the next big step is await the NOC and re register the vehicle.

Until then let me just enjoy the drive in the classically plain and understated looking White Gypsy!
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-imageuploadedbyteambhp1485826788.053796.jpg
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-imageuploadedbyteambhp1485826801.642935.jpg
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-imageuploadedbyteambhp1485826814.483369.jpg
My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI-imageuploadedbyteambhp1485826826.988939.jpg
Old 5th February 2017, 21:27   #464
BHPian

Quote:
So I went and did it, I ve burned another Rs 11000 on this servicing job!
I used to add Nulon (and another brand of PTFE treatment) to my Jonga oil to 'revitalise' the engine, and it did sound smoother at first ! But a treatment that lasts one lac kms is news ! maybe I will try it in Gypsy once it has run that long !
Also news to me is that Gypsies are 'Right wing Low' ! I had my new 2011 5-door fitted with one extra leaf to take the added weight of the full metal body, and within six months it has gone 'Left Wing Low' by approx. 2 cms and stayed that way, so I have not bothered to get it recambered. According to the spring experts in Calcutta, generally the left wears down or gets low in most vehicles as the left side is subject to rougher rides, on shoulders and potholes etc.
Love the high rear in your vehicle. Though I had that look in my earlier MG410W, I kept the present MG413W almost standard height as the narrow and tall (at the back) box looks ready to topple at speed on turns anyway !
For an older engine, I would prefer 50 grade oil, something like Castrol 20w50.
Plan to upgrade shockers, but. Something like Monroe, or gas filled ones ? Decide after some time.
The all white look -- body plus wheels -- looks superb. Happy motoring.
Old 6th February 2017, 08:04   #465
Senior - BHPian

IMO additives like Nulon and the like are like multivitamins/minerals. If on a healthy diet, at best these are worthless and at worst, can be toxic. And will always involve expenditure. But unlike in a car, the psychological benefits may end up being real via the mind/body connection.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks