Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2013, 21:51   #226
BHPian

Re: MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse

Surprise TC is fine But rear Diff crown and pinion gear was the problem.

TC gears,Bearings are in perfect condition , no need to change in near future So thought do a service.

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-img_20130806_123117.jpg

Parts Bought :-

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-img_20130806_214136.jpg
TC countershaft,Needle set,Washer,lock,Packing kit - Rs. 775.00

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-img_20130806_123133.jpg

Where can get a new 43/8 crown and pinion gear ?
sreejeshmp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 23:11   #227
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Surprise TC is fine But rear Diff crown and pinion gear was the problem.

TC gears,Bearings are in perfect condition , no need to change in near future So thought do a service.

Parts Bought :-

TC countershaft,Needle set,Washer,lock,Packing kit - Rs. 775.00

Where can get a new 43/8 crown and pinion gear ?
Coimbatore dhanam autos.Make Gajra.3500rs
Rajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 20:28   #228
Senior - BHPian

Why did your recently changed 43-8 wear out so soon? Was it a backlash issue balooned into complete wearout? Or was the used 43-8 worn out (invisible wear/tear) in the 1st place? Sorry didnt chk your FB msg for the new parts, want me to check in blore? Or Dhanam as Rajith said?
Old 11th August 2013, 12:18   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Why did your recently changed 43-8 wear out so soon? Was it a backlash issue balooned into complete wearout? Or was the used 43-8 worn out (invisible wear/tear) in the 1st place? Sorry didnt chk your FB msg for the new parts, want me to check in blore? Or Dhanam as Rajith said?
SVS,

I bought that set from scrap Market. On first seeing itself My mech told One set is good But the other is in bad condition , So We put the good one to front and the Bad to rear as I planning to fit a LSD on rear. So I thought keep this for sometime and Change to new with LSD.

Babal Arranged one set for me from Trissur, waiting for the delivery. Thanks for the another technical term "backlash" .It was not there on My diff.

Sreejesh
Old 26th August 2013, 12:24   #230
BHPian

Changed the Crown & pinion gears in rear diff 3600.00
Changed the heater plugs 360x4 - 1440.00
Changed the spider gear shaft - 120.00

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-img_20130815_192306.jpg

Did a wheel alignment tyre rotation from Calicut's Most trusted wheel alignment center "Choisons tyres calicut".

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-img_20130823_163709.jpg
MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-img_20130823_170102.jpg

Oil Pressure & Temperature meter arrived.

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-img_20130821_192901.jpg
Old 12th September 2013, 13:19   #231
BHPian

Re: MM550 XD NGCS - Oil pressure & temperature gauge

Got this Auto Gauge Oil pressure & temperature gauge.

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-img_20130821_192901.jpg

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-img_20130821_192207.jpg

Oil pressure meter comes with a meter pod & sensor.

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-img_20130813_225114.jpg

Oil temperature gauge comes with 3 different size bolt thread adapters & one 4 point adapter & sensor.

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-img_20130815_092110.jpg
MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-img_20130815_105355.jpg
Custom meter pods Made From a portion from fiat uno center console.

The adapter Bolt came with in the box & the OE tread on the XD3P is different So I custom made the adaptor Bolt.

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-dsc00389.jpg

Used HeroHonda engine dry Bolt which has the same tread.

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-dsc00386.jpg

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-dsc00387.jpg

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-dsc00388.jpg

Drilled using a 7mm bit & made a step for tapering.

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-dsc00391.jpg

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-dsc00392.jpg

adaptor bolt thread tapered to the Bolt.

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-dsc00394.jpg
MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-dsc00397.jpg

used Anabond White to seal the tread.

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-dsc00398.jpg

Did the proper wiring from my electrician.

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-img_20130821_183358.jpg
sreejeshmp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2013, 13:59   #232

Hi Sreejeshmp, firstly congrats on your jeep, and secondly a very nice and informative thread, keep it up.

I also bought an Ngcs 550 2006 model a couple of months ago from the Army. Well its a great jeep, drives nicely on road and its great in off road too. My only problem is i do not have any specifications for this particular model, and there are some works that need to be done on the gear box, suspension, engine mounting, etc. The local mechanics here in Pune are not much help, and even if there are any good mechanics here, i haven't come across them unfortunately.

So i finally decided to take the jeep to the authorized service center for Mahindra in Pune (silver jubilee motors). These guys haven't seen/worked on this jeep before. They asked me if it was a modified jeep, in a way it must be for the civilian market, but it is a stock army jeep and not a modified one.

Now my question is have you also faced such issues regarding parts? going by your thread it doesn't seem so. And your mechanic knows the jeep very well it seems. Also how can i tell what model my gear box is, it looks like yours from the pic on the first page on this thread, NGT520/530??

Would appreciate some help/advice from you, since i have a feeling my jeep could be the exact same as yours.

Thanks & Regards,

Bronco Buster

p.s: mods please feel free to edit/remove post. I am new here, this is just my 2nd post.
Old 4th November 2013, 22:35   #233
BHPian

Hey Bronco, I would like to meet up with you since we are both in the same city. I guess you do not have PM privileges yet, so call me on 9823106662 whenever you are free. If you look around you will find that there are quite a few people from Pune who are very knowledgeable and helpful WRT jeeps. I would advise you speak with them before deciding on who to go with, for your repairs and modifications. An NGCS jeep is a rarity in these parts of the country for most amateur jeepers like me. :-)
vivekjayasheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 16:06   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Buster View Post

I also bought an Ngcs 550 2006 model a couple of months ago from the Army. Well its a great jeep, drives nicely on road and its great in off road too. My only problem is i do not have any specifications for this particular model, and there are some works that need to be done on the gear box, suspension, engine mounting, etc. The local mechanics here in Pune are not much help, and even if there are any good mechanics here, i haven't come across them unfortunately.
dear Bronco buster (looks like you are a fighter),
For spares, you can contact Sushil Motors (370, Lunawat Plaza, SHivaji Nagar), Mr Dhadge - 25530277. he is authorized stockist of Mahindra spares. If you have part number of any part required, he will source it for you. For mechanics, suggest you to be cautious, any wrong move may spoil your jeep. Any good mechanic who knows about Jeep can repair NGCS as there is nothing so special in NGCS.

Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 18:44   #235
BHPian

Quote:

Now my question is have you also faced such issues regarding parts? going by your thread it doesn't seem so. And your mechanic knows the jeep very well it seems. Also how can i tell what model my gear box is, it looks like yours from the pic on the first page on this thread, NGT520/530??

All most all the parts are from Bolero GLX and Its easily available , hope your xd3p is with egr.

2006 normally comes with NGT520 , its embossed on the leftside top of the gearbox. If you are doing a GB overhaul , check the type of synchronizers , there are two types 520 & 520+ . Army 550 part numbers & retail shop's part numbers are different. Some oilseals manufactures also unknown for the parts dealers.

Compare the size of shocks with 540/550XD you will get surprised.
- Sreejesh.
Old 5th November 2013, 20:02   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
dear Bronco buster (looks like you are a fighter),
For mechanics, suggest you to be cautious, any wrong move may spoil your jeep. Any good mechanic who knows about Jeep can repair NGCS as there is nothing so special in NGCS.

Shubhendra
Dear Shubendra, Thanks for the spare parts info! MM550 Ngcs is essentially the same jeep as non Ngcs, but please correct me if i am wrong, the gearbox, transfer case and some other parts seem to be different. For e.g, some mechanics i went to including the authorised guy said, they do not want to work on the gearbox/transfer case, and parts won't be available, etc. They new tie rod assembly i got wasn't exactly compatible either.

And yes i suppose i am a fighter I only want the best for my jeep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekjayasheel View Post
Hey Bronco, I would like to meet up with you since we are both in the same city. I guess you do not have PM privileges yet. like me. :-)
Dear Vivekjayasheel, Thanks for the help, would like to meet up soon as i can, and finally get to meet some Pune Jeepers!

Quote:
All most all the parts are from Bolero GLX and Its easily available , hope your xd3p is with egr.

2006 normally comes with NGT520 , its embossed on the leftside top of the gearbox. If you are doing a GB overhaul , check the type of synchronizers , there are two types 520 & 520+ . Army 550 part numbers & retail shop's part numbers are different. Some oilseals manufactures also unknown for the parts dealers.

Compare the size of shocks with 540/550XD you will get surprised.
- Sreejesh.
Dear Sreejeshmp, firstly sorry for putting my jeep troubles in your thread! and yes its with egr valve, but the military blocked it off, i am guessing for more power. My guess might be correct about the gearbox being Ngt 520, but will check like you asked. For the synchronizers, i guess i will have to open the gearbox to know?

Most parts are different, even the wheel nuts are bigger, had a hard time finding the correct size. And so if the part nos are also different in the first place, i am gonna have a hard time finding them!

And what is the transfer gearbox model in our jeep? It seems my low range is not working or maybe i am doing something wrong, cause the jeep stays in neutral.

I read about your suspension mods, after doing a ramp test might go for the same. How much did the thar crde rear leaf springs cost?

Did your jeep come with Lsd? I need to check mine, there is no Lsd plate on the rear differential.

Regards,

Bronco Buster
Old 5th November 2013, 20:28   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.. gearbox/transfer case, and parts won't be available, etc. They new tie rod assembly i got wasn't exactly compatible either.
Hi,

Being a Mahindra most parts are shared.

IIRC, the Gearbox is from Major.
The Transfer case is a normal, good'ol tried and tested T18 with a slightly different straight shift pattern. (Similar to the invader)
The front axle is similar to that of a 4WD bolero pick up.
The steering set up is similar to a bolero camper.
The rear axle doesnt have LSD and is similar to a 4WD bolero, except that the pumpkin is right offset.

I hope this helps you source parts, and makes it easy for you to work on your Jeep.

- Dhanush
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 21:17   #238
BHPian

Quote:

Dear Sreejeshmp, firstly sorry for putting my jeep troubles in your thread! and yes its with egr valve, but the military blocked it off, i am guessing for more power. My guess might be correct about the gearbox being Ngt 520, but will check like you asked. For the synchronizers, i guess i will have to open the gearbox to know?

Most parts are different, even the wheel nuts are bigger, had a hard time finding the correct size. And so if the part nos are also different in the first place, i am gonna have a hard time finding them!

And what is the transfer gearbox model in our jeep? It seems my low range is not working or maybe i am doing something wrong, cause the jeep stays in neutral.

I read about your suspension mods, after doing a ramp test might go for the same. How much did the thar crde rear leaf springs cost?

Did your jeep come with Lsd? I need to check mine, there is no Lsd plate on the rear differential.

Regards,

Bronco Buster
Hi

There is nothing like your thread my thread etc. So feel free to share/discus.

Military won't play with egr or anything they don't have time for it . Its the dealers who removed it.

You have to disassemble and compare your synchroniser with the two types to identify yours cos its a very small difference in diameter.

Again its a 160 pcd hub so the wheel nut should be from bolero. As i told almost all the parts are from bolero.

TC is T18 with Brogwarner type shift pattern (just to maintain the position with gear liver ) better do a overhaul,slipping to neutral is dangerous.

Thar CRDe leaf springs cost me 5k it was just run few hundred kms.

NGCS never came with LSD because the rear axle is 19 spline. 550XD has 30 spline axles.

This is a best place to get confused so don't get confused. Jeep is a simple thing so just take it simple.

- Sreejesh
Old 6th November 2013, 12:29   #239

Quote:
Hi

There is nothing like your thread my thread etc. So feel free to share/discus.
Military won't play with egr or anything they don't have time for it . Its the dealers who removed it.
NGCS never came with LSD because the rear axle is 19 spline. 550XD has 30 spline axles.
This is a best place to get confused so don't get confused. Jeep is a simple thing so just take it simple.

- Sreejesh
Dear Shreejesh, Thanks, the EGR is there but its been bypassed/bocked off? before i got it.

what no Lsd?? what would the army do with an open differential? lsd has a lot of advantages in off road. what is the cost and availability of getting the 19 spline axle and lsd, and do you plan to get one? i am guessing yes, since you guys are regular offroaders

Haha, not confused yet..

Regards,

Bronco Buster
Old 6th November 2013, 18:19   #240
BHPian

Quote:
what no Lsd?? what would the army do with an open differential? lsd has a lot of advantages in off road. what is the cost and availability of getting the 19 spline axle and lsd, and do you plan to get one?
Instead of throwing money at a limited-slip differential, why don't you look at full, manually-activated diff-locks?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ine-axles.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks