Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2013, 01:25   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Manveet - the front suspension has adjustable torsion bars. Tell the dealer to set it to height as per the workshop manual.
Thank you sirjee, problem solved. The PA guys helped me set the torsion bars.

However, two more points where I need your help.

(1) I have a terrible rattle in the front right door which Performance Auto (PA) tried getting rid of but couldn't. They (and I) thought they had fixed it, but its still there and its quite bad. Are the Mahindra Service Centre guys equipped and capable to solve this problem or will I have to use PA (they are quite far) or local denters?

(2) I really want to change the steering wheel to something nice from Momo, etc. for which I need a steering hub. But problem is that a steering hub for the Thar is not easily available. Any idea which other vehicle's (Mahindra or non-Mahindra) steering hub I can ask for that will serve the purpose? Will the Classic or MM5x0 hub do, in which case I can try the Mayapuri jeep market in Delhi.

Last edited by manveet : 14th January 2013 at 01:55.
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 10:16   #77
Senior - BHPian

Hardtop Update

Quick update on my hardtop. Visited PA last week and realized that they had missed using silicone sealant at a couple of places. Had that done and there was a noticeable improvement in sound reduction but there still seemed to be some air leakage over the windshield that we couldn't figure the source of.

However, it has been pouring in the last 2 days and last evening I noticed my front dashboard having inch deep puddles and the front foot-mats completely soaked. Fortunately, the PA people have acknowledged the problem in their own Thars as well and will be reverting with the solution.

But all said and done, this is the best-looking HT still available and no regrets as on date.

The RHS door rattle apart, the Jeep is running like a beauty. More pictures coming up this weekend. Hopefully.
manveet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 13:35   #78
BHPian

Hey Manveet, congrats on a great buy there!!

Did I see your Jeep at Cyber City parking in Gurgoan 2-3 days back? I just kept standing there staring at it for good 15 mins.

My plans have now shifted from a Scorpio VLX 4wd to Thar after I saw your's and Raj's Jeep.

Wish you lots and lots of great miles ahead. Do share some more pics please.
Old 2nd February 2013, 09:42   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
My plans have now shifted from a Scorpio VLX 4wd to Thar after I saw your's and Raj's Jeep.
Dear Vinayrathore - thanks dude for your above comment, I knew it would happen one day because that's how timeless the MM (originally derived from the CJ5) shape is! It just draws you towards it like a magnet! That's why, although we made it out of the common platform design based on the Bolero VLX, we took utmost care to ensure NOT TO CHANGE THE SHAPE!

Dear Vinod and "guys who matter" - see what we started! This target customer has finally mentioned the ultimate comment in an open internet forum - "I WANT TO GO FROM SCORPIO TO THAR"! Even now it is not too late, even now, whatever you do, PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE THE SHAPE!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2013, 23:39   #80
BHPian

Hi Manveet, Great looking HT, How is the space at the rear? The head room seems to be pretty low, any solutions to that?
Old 5th February 2013, 13:38   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
However, it has been pouring in the last 2 days and last evening I noticed my front dashboard having inch deep puddles and the front foot-mats completely soaked. Fortunately, the PA people have acknowledged the problem in their own Thars as well and will be reverting with the solution.

The RHS door rattle apart, the Jeep is running like a beauty. More pictures coming up this weekend. Hopefully.
Am still to visit the PA guys due to paucity of time.

But spent last weekend filing away some edges on the RHS door frame which solved the rattling issue. Thereafter bought some door sealing roll (pics below, pulled off the internet for illustration purpose) and was liberal in my application in the door frame and other places in the interiors. Insulation is awesome now.

Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-images.jpg
Never thought I'd buy a Mahindra Thar! My Jeep Story. EDIT: Now sold-auto_window_door_rubber_seal_strip.jpg

Its quite surprising that there are so many areas in the vehicle interior that these kinds of strips can be used - has eliminated many sharp edges. Will try to put up pics soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayrathore View Post
Hey Manveet, congrats on a great buy there!!

Did I see your Jeep at Cyber City parking in Gurgoan 2-3 days back? I just kept standing there staring at it for good 15 mins.

Wish you lots and lots of great miles ahead. Do share some more pics please.
Yes, that was indeed my Jeep as I call it - have stopped using the T word anymore .. Thank you so much for the compliments. Will surely try to put up pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster_BHP View Post
Hi Manveet, Great looking HT, How is the space at the rear? The head room seems to be pretty low, any solutions to that?
I have removed the rear seat head rests which has improved rear visibility as well as the looks. But yes, head-room is a problem for tall folks if one goes for Innova seats.

However, the distinct advantage of being able to fold the seats upwards and along the side (to accommodate luggage or taking a bull-mastiff to the vet, in my case) cannot be ignored. You may go for the more popular traditional front facing seats that fit between the rear wheel wells (and hence have good headroom) but that will have issues for storing luggage and passengers will have to bend knees too much will be a problem in long journeys.

My inputs to everyone (in order to align expectations) is to accept the Jeep as two-seater and then choose what rear seat works for you. Just tell people who want to tag along that you're sorry .. they will have to find someone else .. as you own a two seater red convertible that just can't accommodate them

Another update: I have got a box fabricated by the carpenter which is to be placed below the rear seats. It provides support to the seats (instead of the earlier foldable rods), as well as storage space for the tools. It is not fixed so can be pushed to the front in case one wants to fold the seats up and carry some luggage. But this is still incomplete, the lid is yet to be attached to the hinges, along with the locking mechanism.

Last edited by manveet : 5th February 2013 at 13:50.
Old 6th February 2013, 16:23   #82
BHPian

hi manveet,

good to have some updates from your end. considering the heavy rains last 2-3 days in delhi, i was wondering how the Thar coped with those. Any leakages or inflow of rain water into the cabin?
Old 7th February 2013, 00:14   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
hi manveet,

good to have some updates from your end.itonsidering the heavy rains last 2-3 days in delhi, i was wondering how the Thar coped with those. Any leakages or inflow of rain water into the cabin?
Hi buddy, the jeep performed wonderfully. primarily because i made sure to park it under the porch
Old 8th February 2013, 22:30   #84
BHPian

Re: Rear Innova Seats

Quote:
Conceptually this is a good mod,
Attachment 1026487

So this is still work in progress, should be final in the next 10 days or so. Thought I should still share with you cause I noticed that a few people were planning to go in for these seats in the next few days.
Hi Manveet,

I am looking through the options available for front facing rear seat. I liked this setup using Innova last row seats however I have a query. When seats are open the gap between 2 seats is kept purposefully or there is no way to make it as one seat?

Thanks,
Vishal.
Old 11th February 2013, 10:37   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Hi Manveet,

I am looking through the options available for front facing rear seat. I liked this setup using Innova last row seats however I have a query. When seats are open the gap between 2 seats is kept purposefully or there is no way to make it as one seat?

Thanks,
Vishal.
There is no technical reason for keeping the gap, it is possible to be made as one. You may call it an oversight from my end.

But in the new setup (in which I have the seats resting on a box), this gap has come in useful as I have been able to squeeze the hooks here (and prevent them from hitting the box and making unwanted sounds). Earlier the hooks were latched on to the iron rod supports which was preventing their movement.
Old 11th February 2013, 11:07   #86
BHPian

Quote:
There is no technical reason for keeping the gap, it is possible to be made as one. You may call it an oversight from my end.

But in the new setup (in which I have the seats resting on a box), this gap has come in useful as I have been able to squeeze the hooks here (and prevent them from hitting the box and making unwanted sounds). Earlier the hooks were latched on to the iron rod supports which was preventing their movement.
Ok thanks for details.
In your new setup, if you are resting seats on box will it be trouble for legs of occupant? Also is it increasing the height of seats? I quite liked the earlie setup but looks like you have good improvements there, can you please upload some picture if possiable.

Thanks,
Vishal.
Thar4x4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 17:34   #87
BHPian

This whole issue of looks Vs practicality sucks! :P

@Manveet has the leak issue been solved yet?
Old 26th February 2013, 14:33   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Thereafter bought some door sealing roll (pics below, pulled off the internet for illustration purpose) and was liberal in my application in the door frame and other places in the interiors. Insulation is awesome now.
Can you share where you bought this great stuff from? Also how much do they cost?
Old 27th February 2013, 20:36   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster_BHP View Post
This whole issue of looks Vs practicality sucks! :P

@Manveet has the leak issue been solved yet?
Nope, have been busy with other areas of the vehicle. It still leaks quite a bit, 5 minutes of rain and I have puddles on the dashboard

But the PA guys seem to have identified the issues (issues, because most of their Thars are leaking as well). I need to drop it off for 2-3 hrs., will have to find some time to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
Can you share where you bought this great stuff from? Also how much do they cost?
Just ask for Maruti door pipe or something like that. I bought it for 400 bucks and 80 percent of it is still lying unused with me. Try some local paintshops if you want lesser quantity.

And I have done some new upgrades - to my knowledge never attempted on an Indian Jeep before. Some will love it and others are bound to hate it. Pics coming up shortly
manveet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 11:55   #90
Senior - BHPian

The leaking HT is the only one thing keeping me from the PA hard top option. I hear the Hyderabad New Mars HT is absolutely sorted.

I do not think you should take the puddles on the dashboard lightly, lest it results in some unwanted short circuit or some such mishap.

How I wish the HT worked as well as it looks. Sigh !! Even wind noise is a big no no for me, as it is also going to compromise on the aircon other than the irritating sound

Guess we all learn as we go along.

Enjoy the ride !

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks