Performance 36 19.46%
Italian HT 21 11.35%
Roplas HT 8 4.32%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2013, 17:06   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar

Spoke with Mr. Bimbra a short while ago. He remembers me from my visit to his factory way back in 2007 when I was on a visit to Gurgaon and me and my friend had purchased two Pajeros, we had gone to him to get bull bars fitted and my friend had a ladder installed as well.

It is is nephew Robbie SIngh who has a modification garage for 4x4 vehicles in Dubai and sells lights, winches, K & N filters and a host of other stuff like cut back exausts and all.

He even remembered that I am from Patna and both the Pajeros are there.

Hard top - for 49,500 and requires two days to fit.
With opening panels - No. He says water seeps in from the panel edges when it rains or during a car wash.
Centre consoles - he makes them.

Then what to do ? Can he modify my soft top for its kich kich sound and make it opening and folding with a velcro to roll it up for the rear section only, he said he can do it and explained his location which is rather easy.

Now the most important issue is time, whenever I can make it I will go and see him.

But if I am satisfied that Prabhu's hard top with panels is waterproof, it is my first choice.
Old 25th November 2013, 18:15   #92
BHPian

Going in for the final stages. Final primar coat being applied before the paint job starts. I have been closely following the work and I must say that the wait is really worth it. The finish that they are giving is better than the factory finish! It is more expensive and takes nearly 3 weeks but it surely is way above in toughness, fit & finish than all other hard tops that I have seen.
Will now put up the final pics soon unless I see some interesting WIP moment
Attached Thumbnails
The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-image1372066763.jpg  

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-image2983853952.jpg  

Old 27th November 2013, 22:36   #93
BHPian

Last WIP pics! Will go into final fitting tomorrow. It's looking better than the day I took delivery!!
Attached Thumbnails
The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-image152695280.jpg  

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-image284460185.jpg  

Avigo71 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 20:49   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avigo71 View Post
Last WIP pics! Will go into final fitting tomorrow.
hey avigo
did you take delivery of Thar?Waiting for the final pics.Any chance of seeing it in person. I stay in malad.
Thanks.
Old 1st December 2013, 10:58   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Last WIP pics! Will go into final fitting tomorrow. It's looking better than the day I took delivery!!
Good job!

The rear looks like a Bolero.
Are you retaining the original tail-lamps? I recommend the original Bolero flush-mounted tail-lamps, they will complement the look of the rear rather than retaining the Thar's tail-lamps!

But Mahindra ought to sell a bare-bones Thar for such exercises (un-painted, without a soft-top, without rear-seats).
Please post final pictures
Old 1st December 2013, 14:22   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Good job! The rear looks like a Bolero. Are you retaining the original tail-lamps? I recommend the original Bolero flush-mounted tail-lamps, they will complement the look of the rear rather than retaining the Thar's tail-lamps! But Mahindra ought to sell a bare-bones Thar for such exercises (un-painted, without a soft-top, without rear-seats). Please post final pictures

Thanks a lot Bopanna. I am an avid follower of your thread. Thanks a lot for sharing so much. I am not much of a writer, but I appreciate your thread a lot. Yes I took delivery & I'm ecstatic! It's a different vehicle altogether! It's extremely tight, silent & stable. To top it, I've put Carbon Leafs in the rear. That makes the ride absolutely car like ( but with the classic 'Jeep' quality). It's an absolute must to have it installed. I will post the pics later tonight or tomorrow because I've not had the time. I took delivery from Mahindra Customisation at 11pm on Friday & left yesterday early morning for Lonavla. Just returned to Mumbai.

As for the lights I'm keeping the original. I was tempted to put the Wrangler ones but have decided to keep the look as original as possible especially since the hard top is also made by Mahindra. Earlier I was planning to remove the Mahindra & Thar logos too, but thought it's only fair to let them be as long as I'm happy with the product.... as of now I'm more than happy!

PS: I am not happy about the numerous aesthetic, finish & substandard quality issues which I have read ( and now experienced ) about Mahindra & Thar. But I can't complain because I took the jump AFTER reading & seeing everything. My purpose was to have a rough, tough & not so expensive vehicle to bash around, drive all over India & give any valet to park! ( things which I don't do with my BMW 525d & Rexton)..
So I'm looking forward to this experience..
Old 1st December 2013, 15:12   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot Bopanna. I am an avid follower of your thread. Thanks a lot for sharing so much. I am not much of a writer, but I appreciate your thread a lot. Yes I took delivery & I'm ecstatic! It's a different vehicle altogether! It's extremely tight, silent & stable. To top it, I've put Carbon Leafs in the rear. That makes the ride absolutely car like ( but with the classic 'Jeep' quality). It's an absolute must to have it installed. I will post the pics later tonight or tomorrow because I've not had the time. I took delivery from Mahindra Customisation at 11pm on Friday & left yesterday early morning for Lonavla. Just returned to Mumbai.
Wow! Very fast delivery man after opening almost half the vehicle. Rear is very nicely done. Truly recommendable work by M&M Customisation.

Please click more detailed picture, I am holding my decision for this option.

Also please share the contact details.

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 1st December 2013, 16:17   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Good job! The rear looks like a Bolero. Are you retaining the original tail-lamps? I recommend the original Bolero flush-mounted tail-lamps, they will complement the look of the rear rather than retaining the Thar's tail-lamps! But Mahindra ought to sell a bare-bones Thar for such exercises (un-painted, without a soft-top, without rear-seats). Please post final pictures
Sharing some external pictures of the completed Mahindra Customisation Hard Top.
The person to get in touch with is Mr. Vaibhav from Mahindra: 09833484403 ambetkar.vaibhav@mahindra.com
Attached Thumbnails
The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-image1197921913.jpg  

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-image4180034173.jpg  

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-image3861414705.jpg  

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-image1859039616.jpg  

The most practical & best looking Hardtop - Mahindra Thar-image2976464409.jpg  

Avigo71 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 17:16   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Sharing some external pictures of the completed Mahindra Customisation Hard Top.
The person to get in touch with is Mr. Vaibhav from Mahindra: 09833484403 ambetkar.vaibhav@mahindra.com
Fantastic Avigo, the Hard top looks beautiful.
And VFM if I might add!

Yes, I think you did right by retaining the original tail-lamps, a full-fledged Mahindra Thar indeed!

Just my two bits: The rear number-plate will look good under the rear-door handle!

P.S. Can you please PM me the final pricing, if you don't want to mention it in the public forum? Thanks!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 1st December 2013 at 17:24.
Old 1st December 2013, 18:19   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great looking Thar. I have seen a couple of these Thars in Pune and they do look good. Did you also get the other stuff like the front & rear bumpers, front and rear fender claddings (over the tyres), snorkel, rock sliders etc. also from Mahindra Customization? You had mentioned about 1 lakh for the hard top. Does that include the cost of the painting etc. It will be great if you can share the price details over here (or will appreciate a PM). Like you said, I particularly like the single door at the rear. What happened to the original half door?

Another question, why did they have to repaint the whole vehicle again?

Last edited by pjbiju : 1st December 2013 at 18:21.
Old 1st December 2013, 18:20   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks amazing! Great job by Mahindra Customisation. Love the paint job. This is how the Thar should have looked from the factory itself.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 18:53   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Fantastic Avigo, the Hard top looks beautiful. And VFM if I might add! Yes, I think you did right by retaining the original tail-lamps, a full-fledged Mahindra Thar indeed! Just my two bits: The rear number-plate will look good under the rear-door handle! P.S. Can you please PM me the final pricing, if you don't want to mention it in the public forum? Thanks!
Ok. Will surely look into your suggestions. I don't know how to send a PM. Whenever I try, it says that permission denied. I did want to talk to you Bopanna in a pm but it did not work. As a matter if fact I have posted a few questions for Mr. Behram Dhabhar ( on Mahindra Thar: Test Drive & Review thread as well as The Intripid Explorer III- Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar thread ) but I don't know how to get his attention. The pm did not work for him as well. Can you please help me with this?!
Regarding the pricing, it's very complicated as there far too many details that vary the cost tremendously. It would be best for you to get in touch with Vaibhav ( who's contact I have shared in the earlier post). But as a general info, ONLY the hard top is approx 1Lac.

As far as the paint job goes, I decided to do the whole car because of a dark secret that I have not shared on this forum! It's as follows.... I had put another frp Hard Top as soon as I got delivery of my Thar because Mahindra Customisation had shut shop temporarily for some internal reasons and they could not take my car. Because I was in a hurry I went to this other option, who's name I will not share on this platform because I have nothing personal against him. The HT that they fitted leaked profusely in the mumbai rains & was of a poor finish. I got that removed and gave my vehicle to Mahindra who had reopened their workshop. This whole exercise had scratched & dented my vehicle a bit... Hence I went for a full paint job!

Yes, I've done the ENTIRE customisation & fittings at Mahindra Customisation except for the Winch which I got from a friend.
Old 1st December 2013, 21:47   #103
Senior - BHPian

Avigo, you will be able to send PM once your Newbie tag gets upgraded to BHPian tag. I believe it takes 25 posts for you to get that tag.
Old 1st December 2013, 22:15   #104
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know how to send a PM. Whenever I try, it says that permission denied. As a matter if fact I have posted a few questions for Mr. Behram Dhabhar ( on Mahindra Thar: Test Drive & Review thread as well as The Intripid Explorer III- Rocky Beige Mahindra Thar) but I don't know how to get his attention. The pm did not work for him as well.

As far as the paint job goes, I decided to do the whole car because of a dark secret that I have not shared on this forum! It's as follows.... I had put another frp Hard Top as soon as I got delivery of my Thar because Mahindra Customisation had shut shop temporarily for some internal reasons and they could not take my car. Because I was in a hurry I went to this other option, who's name I will not share on this platform. The HT that they fitted leaked profusely in the mumbai rains & was of a shoddy finish. I got that removed and gave my vehicle to Mahindra who had reopened their workshop. This whole exercise had scratched & dented my vehicle a bit... Hence I went for a full paint job!

Yes, I've done the ENTIRE customisation & fittings at Mahindra Customisation except for the Winch which I got from a friend.
I tried to send you BD Sir's number via mail (there is link in your public profile to send mail to you direct on your email address instead of PM) but you have blocked that feature I guess.

Ping me here, I will try to arrange a phone call or meet with BD sir for you.

Sad to hear the first hard top story lots of people are suffering with bad quality and that keeps me away from almost every option available in market. But M&M customization is looking very genuine in the work so I will contact the above mentioned guy tomorrow.

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 2nd December 2013, 03:33   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
I tried to send you BD Sir's number via mail (there is link in your public profile to send mail to you direct on your email address instead of PM) but you have blocked that feature I guess. Ping me here, I will try to arrange a phone call or meet with BD sir for you. Sad to hear the first hard top story lots of people are suffering with bad quality and that keeps me away from almost every option available in market. But M&M customization is looking very genuine in the work so I will contact the above mentioned guy tomorrow. Thanks, Vishal
Thanks a lot for helping me Vishal, I think I have managed to allow for PMs & mail to come to me. Can you please try and let me know if it works.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks