Team-BHP > Team-BHP Directory > Bangalore

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2012, 17:04   #511
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Trusted Petrol Pumps in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
I topped up my car at the Banaswadi IOC pump last week when the needle was hovering very low - I think about 2 to 3 ltrs left. However the bugger filled up 41.5 ltrs when my total tank capacity is only 40ltrs. Howzzat?!!

I have a suspicion the meter was not at zero. but since I paid by card - how will he extract a fast buck? It will go to the pump owner not the attendant right?

--Rahul
He will simply pocket the cash paid by the next customer to the extent of the amount he has cheated you
Old 25th April 2012, 10:37   #512
BHPian

Just wanted to let you all know about the new fraud being done in Indian Oil pumps by giving free India today magazine.

Today morning I went to the Indian Oil pump (COCO) at Koramangala near Sony world junction (road towards NGV). While filling, a person approached saying they are giving free India today magazine and I have to sign on their book to receive it. The magazine is having Indian Oil complementary sticker on it. After I took the magazine and looked at the meter to see a whopping 40ltrs and 1800rs where I was sure that it wont go above 35 at any cost. I started arguing with him and immediately he said "Oh sir sorry its power failure" and then reset it after which it came to 30ltrs. I blasted those fellows and they were in a hurry to see me off. Same time I saw these India today magazines being offered to other cars filling there.

Everyone please ensure that you keep your eyes on the meter from start till the end and avoid Indian oil pump near NGV if possible.

Last edited by arunkk : 25th April 2012 at 10:39.
arunkk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2012, 21:23   #513
BHPian

I am not sure the free magazine is part of the con job. In the IOC bunk near ICICI bank, Bellandur ORR, I topped up my tank and paid. While I was about to live, the manager came and handed me latest edition of the Traveller. Not to mention, I was pleasantly surprised. The guy told me that IOCL is giving away free magazines if you take Extra Premium / Extra Mile worth more than 1000 bucks. Apart from the Traveller, the magazines on offer were the Vogue & Cosmo.
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 01:41   #514
kph
BHPian

Re: The frauds at BP petrol pump at HSR 27th main

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph View Post
This is what has happened few min. ago to me.
The BP petrol pump at HSR layout, 27th main, No. 1 frauds they are. Cheating in the old style... The cash collector will stand at the other side of the petrol filler and will ask questions to divert your attention and the filler stops filling and reset the meter to the same amount you have asked for in a split of a second. Highly talented fellow.
Be careful!
Anyway I did not have time or mood to settle this there. But I made my point and wished them and the pump supervisor all the best with the stolen money. So, that was my last visit there.
This is the second part of the story.
I went to the pump today morning and asked for the complaint book.
The manager (not the supervisor whom I met yesterday) took me to the security room and played the video of the event. That was a very clear evidence. He compensated with petrol and apologised.
kph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 13:07   #515
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the usual readings you see on the 'Density' display on fuel dispensers. Have noticed that it is usually around 76-84 in many pumps once I started noticing it since past couple of months apart from the BP pump opposite Manipal hospital on old airport road. Only there I have seen readings in range of 98 and even 99 for petrol and 83 for diesel.
Old 5th May 2012, 10:19   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
What is the usual readings you see on the 'Density' display on fuel dispensers. Have noticed that it is usually around 76-84 in many pumps once I started noticing it since past couple of months apart from the BP pump opposite Manipal hospital on old airport road. Only there I have seen readings in range of 98 and even 99 for petrol and 83 for diesel.
Then better not fill up from there. Most pumps i fill up from at night or early morning show fuel density 0.746 to 0.75 most of the time. I think the diesel pumps show in the 0.84 range.

AFAIK i know of physics density of water is 1gm/cc. The reading of 0.99 for petrol wrt to physics would mean they are actually selling you water

Also people travelling on NH4 please avoid the IOC pumps close to the toll gates. I have been duped by them everytime. You can notice the difference especially when your tank is close to empty.

The HP pump next to Kamath and Fleurs is one of the best. Never been duped regarding the quality or quantity of fuel. Also recently they have introduced Nitrogen for tyres. Fresh nitrogen filling is 20rs per tyre and and refills cost 5rs per tyre.
Overall HP pumps have been doing a good job in Bangalore near the CBI road and also the one near Palace grounds.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 11:10   #517
BHPian

I stay at Marathalli, and now in a dilemma which nearest pump i can trust nowadays. I used to fill at shell regularly, but now after the huge price diff, kind of hesitating.
Old 6th May 2012, 13:29   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
Just wanted to let you all know about the new fraud being done in Indian Oil pumps by giving free India today magazine.

Today morning I went to the Indian Oil pump (COCO) at Koramangala near Sony world junction (road towards NGV).

Everyone please ensure that you keep your eyes on the meter from start till the end and avoid Indian oil pump near NGV if possible.
The attendants at the Indian Oil pump opposite passport office near NGV tried this magazine trick on me, but failed miserably.

I went to this petrol pump at 8:30 am today since petrol pumps are generally less crowded on Sunday mornings and chances of cheating are less. I generally prefer to use cash at petrol pumps since it doesn't involve any distractions and also saves time. But today I felt like paying by CC since the petrol pump was not crowded and I was the only customer at the fuel dispenser.

Here is how it happened. I parked the car in front of the fuel dispenser, came out and stood in front of the meter and asked the attendant to fill petrol for Rs 500. The attendant entered Rs 500 in the dispenser. So far so good.

Attendant asks - cash or card sir ? I said card. The attendant got an excuse to distract me. As he started filling petrol in the car, he called another attendant to collect my CC. Again, routine procedure, nothing to be worried about.

As the second attendant approaches me, I hand over my CC to him, momentarily taking eyes off the fuel meter. As the second attendant collects my CC, he shows me a magazine and tries to distract me. The moment I saw a magazine i his hand, I immediately realised that they are trying to con me (thanks to the post above from member arunkk).

I totally ignore the second attendant and turn my attention back to the fuel meter. Mind you, all this happened in a split second. By the time I turn back to look at the fuel meter, the first attendant had stopped filling at Rs 365 and was resetting the meter and I caught him in the act. Realising that their con act has failed, the second attendant vanished into thin air.

I shouted at the first attendant asking why he has stopped at Rs 365 even when he had entered Rs 500. He gives lame excuse - power failure sir. I told him that this cash/card and magazine distraction routines have become too old and they need to come up with something more innovative.

I ask him for the automated receipt, which mentions Rs 365. Realising that I'm a hard nut to crack, he immediately filled up petrol worth Rs 135.

But I was in no mood to take this nonsense anymore. I barged into the supervisor's cabin and demanded the complaint book. He tried to calm me down by asking - what happened sir ? I told him straightaway that the attendant tried to cheat me. If you want further details, ask the attendant himself. Hand me the complaint book now.

The supervisor called the attendant and he gave the same lame excuse of power failure. I came out of the supervisor's cabin and started dialling the station manager's number, which is prominently displayed outside the cabin. They immediately realised that I was in no mood to take it lying down.

The attendant who had tried to cheat me immediately turned apologetic and accepted his mistake. All 8-10 pump attendants gathered around me and started requesting me not to complaint to the station manager or the poor attendant would loose his job. The supervisor offered me Rs 100 worth of extra petrol and promised that this money would be deducted from the attendant's salary. Finally, I filled up another Rs 100 worth free petrol and left the place.

I don't really care about the Rs 100 worth of free petrol. In fact, I would make sure that I donate this amount to charity. I would never rob a poor person of his hard-earned money and take his curse on me.

But I wanted to ensure that the pump attendant realises his mistake and is aware of the consequences of his actions.

Lessons learnt:
1. Don't assume that you won't be cheated at a petrol pump if it is not crowded
2. Never take your eyes off the meter even for a split second, no matter what happens around you
3. Use cash for payment, as it involves less distractions
4. Always demand automatic receipt after filling fuel (Avoid pumps which do not have such system of automatic receipt)
5. If you feel that you have been cheated, don't take it lying down. Take up the matter with the supervisor / manager and raise a complaint.

Even if no action is taken against your complain, you have nothing to loose. But the pump attendant can loose his job if customers complaint against him. Hence the customer always has an upper hand in case of such a dispute.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 15:06   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Hey Gopi,

i stay in Kengeri satellite town. By the way, what made you rate the guys near the arch as cheats and the other as good ? what is the experience you had? Nice to have the information.

Most of the station in and around Bangalore have a measurement problem. I feel and also have proved myself that i have never got the right quantity for the money i pay each time. The fuel guage just doesnt come to the right levels unless i fill in shell stations, but shell station are expensive. Ensuring ZERO hardly matters.
nandans2005, Sorry. I saw your post after a long time. There are two IOC petrol bunks near the arch. One is on the Mysore road which is just before the arch when driving down from Nayandahalli. This bunk is the worst of the lot. A couple of times I saw multiple attendants standing around and even if we fix our eyes on the meter, one of them will try to divert your attention telling something on the petrol tank etc. Looks like sagarpadaki also had similar experience there

The second IOC bunk is after you enter the Rajarajeshwari Arch and come to the left side about 200 meters from the arch. This is not as bad as the one on the Mysore road. But one of the attendants did cheat by starting filling my bike from Rs.50 from the previous fill. Here also i was diverted by the other attendant asking for cash
Old 6th May 2012, 19:00   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
The second IOC bunk
Somehow, i never liked this gas station. There is always huge crowd in this station. If i am forced to fill on this stretch after the nayandahalli signal, i get it filled in the station, not the last one before the arch , but the one before the last one. It is always empty, since most of guys are busy filling LPG here.

The other station worth getting the fill is after nagarbhavi circle and before Ambekar Engineering college just before the start of the gradient on the left hand side. These guys are pretty good. I would say best amongst the worst. My cars's fuel needle is little more happy when filled here.
Old 7th May 2012, 11:14   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I don't really care about the Rs 100 worth of free petrol. In fact, I would make sure that I donate this amount to charity. I would never rob a poor person of his hard-earned money and take his curse on me.

But I wanted to ensure that the pump attendant realises his mistake and is aware of the consequences of his actions.
This is probably the reason we all get taken for rides every so often. We go all squeamish when it comes to actually reporting illegal activities. You just let the attendant to try the same stunt on the next unsuspecting customer at the same pump. As far as the attendants are concerned, the only consequence they has become aware of is that some amount of tears and a sob story can ensure they are never reported and they can continue with their scam with impunity.
Old 7th May 2012, 11:53   #522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Then better not fill up from there. Most pumps i fill up from at night or early morning show fuel density 0.746 to 0.75 most of the time. I think the diesel pumps show in the 0.84 range.

AFAIK i know of physics density of water is 1gm/cc. The reading of 0.99 for petrol wrt to physics would mean they are actually selling you water
Thanks for that information. I was thinking other wise, ie more dense the better. Now that you pointed it out made out the its not the case
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 12:01   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The attendants at the Indian Oil pump opposite passport office near NGV tried this magazine trick on me, but failed miserably.
Even if no action is taken against your complain, you have nothing to loose. But the pump attendant can loose his job if customers complaint against him. Hence the customer always has an upper hand in case of such a dispute.

Rohan
If this is happening at a COCO pump, I think the fuel dispensing industry in India has gone to the drain.. literally.
I hope you have raised a complaint on their website. Offering to fill an additional free 100 Rs. of petrol to keep quiet is amounting to bribe to hide their shady activities. If its a Coco pump, I am sure IOC will take strict action against the erring salesmen. I sincerely request you to file on online complaint. They should not get away with it. You would be having your bill too.
This is not the first time this is happening with that IOC Coco.
Old 7th May 2012, 13:18   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This is probably the reason we all get taken for rides every so often. We go all squeamish when it comes to actually reporting illegal activities. You just let the attendant to try the same stunt on the next unsuspecting customer at the same pump. As far as the attendants are concerned, the only consequence they has become aware of is that some amount of tears and a sob story can ensure they are never reported and they can continue with their scam with impunity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
If this is happening at a COCO pump, I think the fuel dispensing industry in India has gone to the drain.. literally.
I hope you have raised a complaint on their website. Offering to fill an additional free 100 Rs. of petrol to keep quiet is amounting to bribe to hide their shady activities. If its a Coco pump, I am sure IOC will take strict action against the erring salesmen. I sincerely request you to file on online complaint. They should not get away with it. You would be having your bill too.
This is not the first time this is happening with that IOC Coco.
I can understand you point of view.

I have been using this particular petrol pump for more than 5 years and this is the first con attempt I have faced here.

I feel that this attempt was made by a particular greedy attendant at his personal level and such attempts are not happening at this pump at an organised level, supported by the management.

I would consider this as a one-off event and let it go this time. It wouldn't be fair to blame the pump's management because of one act by one greedy attendant. I have otherwise have had a good experience with this pump.

But if this happens one more time, I would definitely give feedback to IOCL.

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 7th May 2012 at 13:20.
Old 7th May 2012, 13:52   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I feel that this attempt was made by a particular greedy attendant at his personal level and such attempts are not happening at this pump at an organised level, supported by the management.
But you yourself said that the pump supervisor supported the story of the attendant (power failure) and started dancing to a different tune only after you threatened to escalate the matter further? Sure sounded like several staff at the pump was in cahoots in the scam.

Most Viewed