Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2021, 20:21   #5941
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
That is very low blood pressure buddy. Fantastic resting pulse. What's your peak HR? Mine is 52 and 183 (a few isolated 185s and one 195 ... but that was when my battery had nearly gone out).
Peak HR never exceeds 180 that too only during intense boxing training. Otherwise it stays in the 130-160 zone during normal workouts. I have had my BP thing checked loads of times over the last 3-4 years but all docs have concurred that there is nothing amiss and so nothing needs to be done about it. Maybe one fine day I'm gonna just conk off and drop, but until then...

Last edited by roy_libran : 1st July 2021 at 20:30.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 20:45   #5942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post

A family-man, progeny, 35+, 100+ Cervical, Vertigo, Fatty Liver, riding a stupid RE TB, staring down the barrel of a gun with withering romantic prospects, when I decided to make the 40's better than the 30's! Typical mid-life stuff.
BP 95/45, pulse 45, but DAMN no improvement in romantic prospects. All down the drain I suppose, so why write anything more verbose?
Heh, I picked up cycling again in my early 30's while going through what is the opposite of a marriage. Both were good decisions for me. Cheers to good health.
itisravi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 08:17   #5943
Team-BHP Support

I was at the Trek showroom yesterday to check on the availability of a bike for my daughter and while chatting with the sales guy I mentioned that biking is turning out to be an expensive hobby – addons, accessories and so on (yesterday’s addition below). He mentioned its still better than spending on electronic gadgets and spending time on phone, computer etc. Valid point indeed!

I have this itch to look at a road bike in near future. Not the ultra-expensive full carbon models, but probably a mid-path one like Trek Domane AL4 / AL5. The latter especially looks quite interesting; something to look at around Sep-Oct or early next year. Anyway, the FX3 is a keeper and is quite brilliant in every aspect. In less than two weeks around completed around 340 kms on it. The shifters feel infinitely better than those on the FX2. Carbon fork and Shimano MT201 brakes also add to the experience.

On a related note, I am taking my daughter to the showroom to decide on her bike – Verve 2 or Verve 3. Her preference is the Verve 2 low step, mainly due to the lithium grey/black color. I am inclined towards the Verve 3 (same reason as mentioned for FX3 vs FX2), but not sure if that (and Tektro vs Shimano brakes) justify the price difference of SGD 300 (approx. INR 16,500). Any thoughts?

Added a second bottle cage on FX3 – on long rides, one bottle is just not enough in humid Singapore.
The Bicycles thread-img_0661.jpg

Last edited by vb-saan : 2nd July 2021 at 12:32. Reason: Formatting
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 08:28   #5944
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I was at the Trek showroom yesterday to check on the availability of a bike for my daughter and while chatting with the sales guy I mentioned that biking is turning out to be an expensive hobby – addons, accessories and so on (yesterday’s addition below). He mentioned its still better than spending on electronic gadgets and spending time on phone, computer etc. Valid point indeed!
People spend this much and so much more on things like mobile phones. Even if you put together what someone might be spending on night outs with friends every other weekend, it just adds up like crazy.

Spending on your mind, and your body is NEVER a wasted cause. Travel, books, and working out.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 08:30   #5945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On a related note, I am taking my daughter to the showroom to decide on her bike – Verve 2 or Verve 3. Her preference is the Verve 2 low step, mainly due to the lithium grey/black color. I am inclined towards the Verve 3 (same reason as mentioned for FX3 vs FX2), but not sure if that (and Tektro vs Shimano brakes) justify the price difference of SGD 300 (approx. INR 16,500). Any thoughts?
Your daughter has great taste. Verve 2 all the way. It looks radical man!

Never argue with a kid with a parent brain. They are wired different. And it's her bike.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 12:38   #5946
BHPian

Quote:
Any thoughts?
Verve 2 low step looks visually clean. With modern materials and construction methods, the top tube is becoming more and more irrelevant for city commuter and hybrid bikes. Moreover a low step is functional and comfortable for getting on and off, than a bike with top tube. Also think about the days when she wants wear a skirt. She can still use the bike comfortably and safely. The more opportunities to bike, the better.

Maybe a verve 3 low step is a logical midway, if that exists in the colour your daughter likes. At the end, I think she is going to use it and her choice is final
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 13:36   #5947
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Your daughter has great taste. Verve 2 all the way. It looks radical man!

Never argue with a kid with a parent brain. They are wired different. And it's her bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
Maybe a verve 3 low step is a logical midway, if that exists in the colour your daughter likes. At the end, I think she is going to use it and her choice is final
Thank you! And absolutely right - final choice is hers, I am just showing the options

The Verve 3 also have a low step option, but the colour choices are quite sad. I actually showed her an option on Verve 1 Low Step in black. The answer came immediately - "I will pass that, the 1 doesn't have hydraulic disc brakes"; the power of Google and YouTube!
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 13:53   #5948
Distinguished - BHPian

What bottles do you guys use? Am not a fan of the plastic/aluminium/bpa free bottles.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 14:01   #5949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
What bottles do you guys use? Am not a fan of the plastic/aluminium/bpa free bottles.
After trying out many bottles over the years, some quite a bit more expensive, I just went back to using these. They are cheap, perfectly sized, very easy to operate on the go with one hand, and I replace every 3 months. There have been times, when I have had to throw a bottle while riding because of an emergent situation, and throwing this doesn't hurt. For long rides, I use(d) a double bottle setup.
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 14:26   #5950
BHPian

Quote:
I've used insulate bottles before. But I've shifted to the decathlon bottles. I own both 800 and 650ml ones. I use the 650ml one while hill climbing and fill it halfway and do refills. The camelbacks are way expensive and heavy. The decathlon ones last a long time. I've been using them for about 2 years.

https://www.decathlon.in/p/8527575/a...ttle-650ml-red
peepo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 14:52   #5951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There have been times, when I have had to throw a bottle while riding because of an emergent situation, and throwing this doesn't hurt.
Fascinating! First time I am hearing a non pro tour rider voluntarily chucking away his bidon/s

Pray tell what emergencies make you do that bro.

Quote:
I use the Giant bottles. Smoothest pull out of the valve I found among many bottles I tested (with my fingers of course ). Have survived countless pop-outs from the cages and falls at speed and have never cracked.

The Bicycles thread-img_20200809_130419.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img_20201004_110820.jpg

The rear BTwin old model plastic black cage in the photo on my Cannondale was a repeat offender. I've now ditched that and fitted a wire cage similar to the front one.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 2nd July 2021 at 14:56.
Old 2nd July 2021, 15:05   #5952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fascinating! First time I am hearing a non pro tour rider voluntarily chucking away his bidon/s

Pray tell what emergencies make you do that bro.
Have survived countless pop-outs from the cages and falls at speed and have never cracked.
It has happened to me twice -
1. A dog darted in my path from the bushes on the left side while I was taking a sip, so I had to drop the bottle and brake.
2. Again while I was taking a sip, and this was during my first 200 Brevet, a motorcyclist suddenly turned left onto my path to go into a lane.
Both times the bottles cracked on impact, because they were mostly full.

P.S. Glad to see the use of an esoteric term after a long time!

Last edited by roy_libran : 2nd July 2021 at 15:07.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 16:25   #5953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It has happened to me twice -
1. A dog darted in my path from the bushes on the left side while I was taking a sip, so I had to drop the bottle and brake.
2. Again while I was taking a sip, and this was during my first 200 Brevet, a motorcyclist suddenly turned left onto my path to go into a lane.
Both times the bottles cracked on impact, because they were mostly full.

P.S. Glad to see the use of an esoteric term after a long time!
Ok so they cracked and you therefore discarded them. For some reason I got the impression that there was a situation where you actually needed to discard a perfectly ok bidon for some reason. And I was scratching my head as to why - jettison weight, bidon used for some other purpose (petrol) making it unusable, etc.

There have been a couple of occasions where I've taken my bidons off the bike, and restarted riding thereafter forgetting to put them back.

One was at the halfway turnaround of my first 400 km brevet, when my mind was more preoccupied with the next 200 kilometres with a broken rear wheel spoke and a very painful right knee (ITBS).

The second was more recently, when I had a puncture 10 kilometres into a Sunday century group ride. I took the bidons off since I had to lay my bike down and they were full, and I kept them to one side telling a friend to look after them and remind me about them. Puncture repaired, we breezily set off, and me and my friend both forgot about them.

Both times I rode back a good 5-6 kilometres when I realized that I did not have any water, and both times I was extremely lucky that no one had swiped them and they were still standing where left.

Last edited by ebonho : 2nd July 2021 at 16:31.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 17:01   #5954
Distinguished - BHPian

LOL!

I will stop under a canopy tree, and get off my bike, and maybe even sit down on the grass to have that sip of water haha.

So I will not jump on this whole brevet time capsule sipper bottle train. Guess I will go with some good old SS. A small Thermos with hot black coffee piped through a filter is just yum.
Old 2nd July 2021, 17:35   #5955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LOL!

I will stop under a canopy tree, and get off my bike, and maybe even sit down on the grass to have that sip of water haha.

So I will not jump on this whole brevet time capsule sipper bottle train. Guess I will go with some good old SS. A small Thermos with hot black coffee piped through a filter is just yum.
Years ago I used to visit CMC Vellore regularly. Just outside the main hospital was this guy who used to come on a beat up ratty old bicycle with a copper contraption fitted to the back of the bike. Very space age with various taps and nozzles and lids etc.

He would get out a glass. Flip one tap, strong boiling hot decoction would flow out. Then from anther compartment of the same space age jig, another valve or tap would be flipped, and a little dash of milk would follow.

Voila! Delicious filter Kumbakonam Degree kaapi.

Tried Googling for a photograph, but all I can find is guys on bicycles with big stainless steel drums. Not that authentic spaceship stuff.

Something like that maybe ... with adventure tyres, and a big windscreen! Lol

Last edited by ebonho : 2nd July 2021 at 17:38.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks