Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Chennagide guru!

Attachment 2174603
Classic photo!

Two things ...

Why has your saddle sprouted a penile extension?

The pedal on the sidewalk should be behind the bottom bracket and not in front.

Pedals move free backward. Right now in this position a gust of wind or knock to your bike and the pedal will move free and your bike will go down.

But if your pedal is propped backwards it's locked into position. It cannot move back due to tge pavement. And front of course because it's the direction the chain engages with the cogs abd drives the rear wheel.

Ideally also always prop it up away from the rear derailleur side to be safe-r.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 11:21   #5972
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Classic photo!

Two things ...

Why has your saddle sprouted a penile extension?

The pedal on the sidewalk should be behind the bottom bracket and not in front.

Pedals move free backward. Right now in this position a gust of wind or knock to your bike and the pedal will move free and your bike will go down.

But if your pedal is propped backwards it's locked into position. It cannot move back due to tge pavement. And front of course because it's the direction the chain engages with the cogs abd drives the rear wheel.

Ideally also always prop it up away from the rear derailleur side to be safe-r.

I know its to be on the rear of the seat post, but it has my wallet, phone and keys so prefer its in line of sight lol.

Aye, will follow the memo, sir!
Old 4th July 2021, 11:26   #5973
BHPian

Quote:
Chennagide guru!

Attachment 2174603
Nice pic! Next time try clicking with derailleur towards you. More info here http://www.copenhagenize.com/2012/03...ds-future.html
papr23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 11:29   #5974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I know its to be on the rear of the seat post, but it has my wallet, phone and keys so prefer its in line of sight lol.

Aye, will follow the memo, sir!
For that then you can buy a top tube bag (above the top tube) or a frame bag (below the top tube).

Unless you are pedaling like a doodhwalla, your inner thighs will be red chunks of meat like this
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 11:41   #5975
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For that then you can buy a top tube bag (above the top tube) or a frame bag (below the top tube).

Unless you are pedaling like a doodhwalla, your inner thighs will be red chunks of meat like this
Ok will put it behind and secure it better for my own peace of mind lol.
Old 4th July 2021, 18:02   #5976
BHPian

While we are on the topic of water bottles and saddle bags, I decided to ditch my saddle bag and got a bottle cage tool bag. I usually carry only 1 water bottle (which I fill up during rides - hey a Rs.20 note is infinitely lighter than carrying another 750-800 grams of bottle+water), so I thought why not?

The Bicycles thread-side.jpg

The bike looks much cleaner from the side and behind. I also now get to fit a rear light snugly under the saddle:

The Bicycles thread-back.jpg

Just some minor upgrades to keep the excitement alive I guess.
itisravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 18:05   #5977
Distinguished - BHPian

What rear light make is that? I liked the cat eye ones.
Old 4th July 2021, 18:08   #5978
BHPian

Quote:
What rear light make is that? I liked the cat eye ones.
It is the Rockbros Q3 which I got from ebay.
itisravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 23:22   #5979
BHPian

Finally took the bike (RC500) for the first ride. Did a 55km ride.
Absolutely loved the geometry! However, having ridden flatbars (Scott Sub cross then Trek Marlin) for the past 8 years, the dropbar transition will take some getting used to.

Two initial gripes of the bike though:

1) The saddle - ErgoFit, felt extremely uncomfortable after about 35/40km. Will be doing a 100km ride next weekend, but having spoken to a friend who had a similar issue and since I love doing endurance rides / touring, might have to upgrade it. Any suggestions here Doc ?

2) The brakes felt extremely weak. Will give it some time to bed-in or else might have to do some adjustments. Red Liner, how did you find the braking performance on your bike ?
AnniHilat0R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 23:33   #5980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R View Post
Absolutely loved the geometry! However, having ridden flatbars (Scott Sub cross then Trek Marlin) for the past 8 years, the dropbar transition will take some getting used to.

1) The saddle - ErgoFit, felt extremely uncomfortable after about 35/40km. Will be doing a 100km ride next weekend, but having spoken to a friend who had a similar issue and since I love doing endurance rides / touring, might have to upgrade it. Any suggestions here Doc ?

2) The brakes felt extremely weak. Will give it some time to bed-in or else might have to do some adjustments. Red Liner, how did you find the braking performance on your bike ?
Congratulations on finally getting your bike buddy. Some photos are de rigeur here for new bikes.

Saddles are expensive. Give your butt time to adapt to the new saddle. From what I've seen, nothing looks out of place to suggest it would be uncomfortable. Simple saddle time does wonders to most bike fit and saddle issues on a new bike or one you are riding after a long time, switching from another in your stable

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 07:24   #5981
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Whoa welcome to the blue tribe! (Triban/blue lol)

On 1, i will agree with doc. Have you also got yourself gel cycling shorts? I used the memory foam ones and they are crap after 20 kms.

On 2, you need hard brake from speed to stand still 5 times on the trot. This will bed in the brake pad material. Climb up a flyover and then when you roll down hard brake. Its the same technique for new motorcycle brake pads. I have to do this myself, since i was just pedaling in the city, i had a million other things to worry about lol.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 08:29   #5982
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on finally getting your bike buddy. Some photos are de rigeur here for new bikes.

Saddles are expensive. Give your butt time to adapt to the new saddle. From what I've seen, nothing looks out of place to suggest it would be uncomfortable. Simple saddle time does wonders to most bike fit and saddle issues on a new bike or one you are riding after a long time, switching from another in your stable

Cheers, Doc
Aye Aye Captain! Will spend some more mileage on this saddle and hopefully that should do the trick.

Would have loved to post some snaps, but unfortunately what looked like a clear sky turned into a heavy spell of rain so couldnt get the phone out :/

Quote:
Whoa welcome to the blue tribe! (Triban/blue lol)

On 1, i will agree with doc. Have you also got yourself gel cycling shorts? I used the memory foam ones and they are crap after 20 kms.

On 2, you need hard brake from speed to stand still 5 times on the trot. This will bed in the brake pad material. Climb up a flyover and then when you roll down hard brake. Its the same technique for new motorcycle brake pads. I have to do this myself, since i was just pedaling in the city, i had a million other things to worry about lol.
Glad to join Blue Tribe

Have Apace Cell Foam Shorts which I have been using since a while and have done multiple 100km+ rides on my hybrid. But I suppose its time to switch to Gel Shorts. Which ones are you using ?

Ahhh, will give this technique a go. Thanks for sharing it
AnniHilat0R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 08:44   #5983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have Apace Cell Foam Shorts which I have been using since a while and have done multiple 100km+ rides on my hybrid. But I suppose its time to switch to Gel Shorts. Which ones are you using ?

Apace is good stuff. Our Poona boy he is.

Personally I've used BTwin foam (the 1500 ones) and the BTwin gels (the 2500-3000 ones) and I prefer the foam. It's also possibly a fit thing.

But if these shorts have done well for you, then it's a saddle acclimatizing thing.

Cheers, Doc

P.S. Be careful when doing that hard braking thing Red suggests. A cycle is much lighter than a motorcycle and it's very easy to go launching over the bars with grabby discs (been there ...) and even flipping over.
ebonho is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 14:42   #5984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Spoiler may cause issues or get damaged.
I got this recently for my Thar/Sedan/hatch
Paid 5200 at a local bicycle store.
Btw , picked up a Bike rack on Saturday.
I needed to move my bike on Sunday, visited Decathlon but they were closed Sat/Sun. So picked one from another vendor.

This one stays clear of the rear spoiler so am good.
Also faced no issues during the transportation.

The Bicycles thread-sideview.jpeg
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 15:00   #5985
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Aye Aye Captain! Will spend some more mileage on this saddle and hopefully that should do the trick.

Would have loved to post some snaps, but unfortunately what looked like a clear sky turned into a heavy spell of rain so couldnt get the phone out :/

Glad to join Blue Tribe

Just picked up the gel road cycling bibs from decathlon. Figured a better investment as opposed to the shorts. There are two versions, a van rysel summer one which is almost out of stock and not coming back and the newer one. Read the reviews and decide. I went with the summer sport ones.

Last edited by Red Liner : 5th July 2021 at 15:01.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks