Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2021, 12:23   #3526
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

I have recently installed A800s from 70mai (only front cam) with out hard wiring. Quite happy with the results and performing well even in low light conditions. As every one said, only concern is the reflection from the dash & clue-less for now to deal with this.

-Phani

Last edited by Aditya : 29th August 2021 at 19:44. Reason: Video deleted - involves overspeeding
phani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2021, 22:11   #3527
BHPian

Hi,

I am looking for a dashcam for my Ecosport Titanium 2021 model for following reasons:
  1. The basic purpose of front dashcams - evidence of any untoward incident
  2. I also plan to record entire road trip during some scenic or adventure rides
  3. Ecosport's rear camera is of very bad quality especially during night and rains. Although it gets the work done but still need additional backup rear camera

With this, I have below set of requirements:
  1. Must be a dual cam setup with wide angle coverage and night vision'
  2. Don't really care about 2K or 4K but should have just enough crisp quality to be able to read number plates
  3. Mandatory super-capacitor based power
  4. Parking monitoring - optional but preferred. At least must have a G-Sensor for auto recording after collision
  5. GPS - This is optional because I also plan to have OBD2 based logger like Autowiz/OneLap in future
  6. LCD View - Optional but must have realtime video viewing on mobile through WiFi
  7. CPL filter - optional-I am not sure of this one. I prefer this but if the camera itself has some WDR or self correction capability then it is not needed
  8. Budget upto 15k. Can extend upto 20k for out of box features

The only dash cam that fulfills most of the above criteria is the DDPAI X2S Pro. Additionally it has this sleek remote snapshot button. But I don't see it for sale in Amazon. Is Z40 the upgraded model for this?

Thinkware/Viofo dashcams are expensive. And I liked the discreet factor of the Garmins, however they are not available in India I suppose. Any other options do I have?

Last edited by blueshift : 28th August 2021 at 22:15.
Old 29th August 2021, 14:31   #3528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phani View Post
As every one said, only concern is the reflection from the dash & clue-less for now to deal with this.[/url]
I think what you need is a CPL filter like this https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005002329131208.html
Check if its available in India
Old 1st September 2021, 12:24   #3529
BHPian

Guys I am considering buying a Dashcam on a budget. I recently had to take an insurance claim after a swift rear ended my car at a traffic junction. The rear bumper, 1 tail light and the boot had to be dented and painted. Had to face a lot of issues with the insurance company and I want to have a proof of such accidents in the future Here are some of my queries and requirements

1 Do insurance companies honour the video footage from these dashcams or not? Has anyone taken a claim based on the same.

2 I need front and rear recordings since in the past I have had to take claims for both these type of accidents

3 I have a budget of 5000 max. Could only find 70mai A400 and DDpai Z40 from reputed companies. Are there any other alternatives ? Which should I prefer, 70mai or DDpai.

4 How are the cheaper chinese ones on Aaliexpress which are priced around Rs 2500 ? Sometimes these things are a real steal like a TPMS I have which costs just 1800.

5 Should I order a hardwire kit too. Is it of any use?

6 How is aliexpress in recent times. 70mai A400 is priced at Rs 7500 in Indian sites while Aliexpress has it listed at Rs 4900. Is it OK to go ahead with Aliexpress.
WanderinNomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 19:40   #3530
BHPian

Dash cam sticker

I dismounted this cam when I sold my car and used the spare sticker to mount again in the new car. It won't stay. I'm not sure if it's because of the residue you see in the pic or if the spare sticker has lost it's charm, but, most of you would have been in such a situation before. How did you fix it ?
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-whatsapp-image-20210901-7.33.16-pm.jpeg  

Old 1st September 2021, 19:43   #3531
BHPian

Re: Dash cam sticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
I dismounted this cam when I sold my car... How did you fix it ?
Clean the surface glue residue with spirit & use a 3M double sided tape.

Not speaking of experience, but IMO this should work. Fellow members, please do confirm.

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 1st September 2021 at 19:45.
WorkingGuru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 20:45   #3532
BHPian

Quote:
I dismounted this cam when I sold my car and used the spare sticker to mount again in the new car. It won't stay. I'm not sure if it's because of the residue you see in the pic or if the spare sticker has lost it's charm, but, most of you would have been in such a situation before. How did you fix it ?
I've had very good results using the 3M Adhesive cleaner
Amazon link - https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...V4AVGSA0&psc=1

To stick on glass, and with no play, you might want to get the new transparent ones that are high strength, yet removable and doesn't sway / come off in the heat.
Most of the 3M double sided tapes are fake / spurious ones in the market.
Old 1st September 2021, 20:48   #3533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Clean the surface glue residue with spirit & use a 3M double sided tape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
To stick on glass, and with no play, you might want to get the new transparent ones that are high strength
Thanks, paint thinner did the trick. Ordered this one. Let's see if this works.
Old 2nd September 2021, 16:38   #3534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderinNomad View Post
Guys I am considering buying a Dashcam on a budget. I recently had to take an insurance claim after a swift rear ended my car at a traffic junction. The rear bumper, 1 tail light and the boot had to be dented and painted. Had to face a lot of issues with the insurance company and I want to have a proof of such accidents in the future Here are some of my queries and requirements

1 Do insurance companies honour the video footage from these dashcams or not? Has anyone taken a claim based on the same.

2 I need front and rear recordings since in the past I have had to take claims for both these type of accidents

3 I have a budget of 5000 max. Could only find 70mai A400 and DDpai Z40 from reputed companies. Are there any other alternatives ? Which should I prefer, 70mai or DDpai.

4 How are the cheaper chinese ones on Aaliexpress which are priced around Rs 2500 ? Sometimes these things are a real steal like a TPMS I have which costs just 1800.

6 How is aliexpress in recent times. 70mai A400 is priced at Rs 7500 in Indian sites while Aliexpress has it listed at Rs 4900. Is it OK to go ahead with Aliexpress.
Guys, I do not know anything about dashcams. Any help would be helpful.
I am waiting for some replies to take a decision.
Old 2nd September 2021, 17:12   #3535
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I do not know anything about dashcams. Any help would be helpful.
I am waiting for some replies to take a decision.
I don't really have adequate experience to answer these questions properly but here goes:

Quote:
This I think depends on your luck and the insurance company itself. Not sure why a rear-end collision would cause you issues during the claim process. For example, a friend of mine who rear-ended a bus on his bike at slow speed(the bus stopped in the middle lane of the road to pickup passengers) was able to claim insurance on his damages.

However, video evidence might just help escalating a complaint in case your claim compensation is being delayed. Try to post your concern in one of the active and relevant threads in this section. Maybe a fellow member who works in the industry might be able to help.

Quote:
To get an idea of 70mai or DDpai dashcams you can check the last few pages. Owners would have already posted short reviews.

DDpai Z40 is a new model. I do have it and it seems to be ok (at least the front camera is) but the app interface in my opinion sucks.

I actually got it for the parking monitoring feature. I was more comfortable getting a capacitor based design than a lithium ion battery one due to this use case.

Moreover, at a budget of 5k I don't know of any decent dual dashcam setups available in India.

Quote:
Aliexpress is no longer delivering items to India. You can check this (Buying from AliExpress) for more details.

Besides I prefer to have at least someone to complain to in case these products break down. Both 70mai and DDpai have the same distributor NextDigitron and he seems to be ok in service.

The cheaper models from lesser known manufactures is not something I would recommend. A dashcam to me seems to be just a lot of parts that need to work reliably in a difficult environment. You don't want to get into a situation where you need it and find it stopped recording days back.

P.S Don't try to go for a budget SD card. Try to get the ones made for dashcam (recommendations are aplenty in this thread) and follow the manufacturer recommendations. For example, I have seen posts on how DDPai has compatibility issues with SanDisk cards.

Quote:
You only need a hardwire kit to use the parking monitoring feature of dashcams. Otherwise these dashcams would directly draw power from your 12V port. The rear dashcam would be powered from your front dashcam.[/i][/b]

Quote:
Same as Answer to question 4 above.

Mod Note : Please do NOT reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers. Additionally, it's inconvenient to quote & reply to such a post.

For the correct way to quote, please see this thread.

Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd September 2021 at 21:21. Reason: Incorrect quoting
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 22:39   #3536
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure about this, but Acko insurance recommends a dashcam and they says,

Quote:
The video proof will save you from tricky situations, and it will also come in handy during car insurance claims.
Full article here, https://www.acko.com/car-guide/car-d...hboard-camera/

Quote:

A Dual dashcam + SD card for Rs.5000 doesn't sound realistic to me. I think 70mai dashcams are mostly lithium-ion battery-based and DDPAIs are super capacitor-based. The super capacitor-based ones are better if your car is going to be under extremely hot conditions.

Also, as @JithinR suggested, please don't go for budget SD cards. Those might get corrupted due to frequent read/writes and may not support the required read/write speeds. I'm using Strontium Nitro A1 128GB (U3 Class 10).

Quote:
You only need to buy one if you need parking surveillance. If your car is under warranty, I think it's better to not use a hardwiring kit. I'm not using one for that reason.

Quote:
I tried to buy something from Aliexpress and I couldn't place the order. The website says they cannot ship to India at the payment page.

If you are on a tight budget, one other option is to go for the dual dashcam and purchase it without the rear camera. You can buy the rear camera later if you need that. I purchased 70MAI Pro Plus (A500s) from Nexdigitron without the rear camera.

Note: I'm not endorsing or associated with Acko, 70MAI or Nexdigitron.
robincsamuel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 00:31   #3537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
Not sure about this, but Acko insurance recommends a dashcam and they says,

Full article here, https://www.acko.com/car-guide/car-d...hboard-camera/

A Dual dashcam + SD card for Rs.5000 doesn't sound realistic to me. I think 70mai dashcams are mostly lithium-ion battery-based and DDPAIs are super capacitor-based. The super capacitor-based ones are better if your car is going to be under extremely hot conditions.

Also, as @JithinR suggested, please don't go for budget SD cards. Those might get corrupted due to frequent read/writes and may not support the required read/write speeds. I'm using Strontium Nitro A1 128GB (U3 Class 10).

You only need to buy one if you need parking surveillance. If your car is under warranty, I think it's better to not use a hardwiring kit. I'm not using one for that reason.

I tried to buy something from Aliexpress and I couldn't place the order. The website says they cannot ship to India at the payment page.

If you are on a tight budget, one other option is to go for the dual dashcam and purchase it without the rear camera. You can buy the rear camera later if you need that. I purchased 70MAI Pro Plus (A500s) from Nexdigitron without the rear camera.

Note: I'm not endorsing or associated with Acko, 70MAI or Nexdigitron.
I checked next digitron and the cost of 70 mai dual camera model was 7500. On Aliexpress, it was close to 5000, but I never knew that they won't deliver it on reaching the payment page.

I think a dual dashcam will be much more useful than a front one. Considering my own history, I have been in an accident from front ( once), rear ended (thrice ) , from sides ( twice ) and while parked ( thrice). Except once, I was never at fault and I would have been saved from a lot of hassle, heartache and expenditure if I had a video footage each time.

Like many enthusiasts on Teambhp, I consider myself a better driver than 80-90% people on road. I do not want any fancy features, but just need a video footage when next time a novice on the road bangs my painfully mentained car.

Let me see if I can find a good one for Rs 5000, or I will wait a little and increase my budget.
Old 3rd September 2021, 00:42   #3538
BHPian

Quote:
I think a dual dashcam will be much more useful than a front one.
I agree, and that's my plan too.

I purchased a dual-channel dashcam from Nexdigitron without the rear camera, for now; to fit into my budget. I can buy the rear camera (70mai RC06, which costs Rs.2700) anytime and plug it into the main unit. This approach helped me to spread my budget
robincsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 10:33   #3539

After going through a large part of this thread, I am convinced to buy 70mai A500s pro plus+ (dual channel) from Amazon for my Tata Altroz. I am not planning to hard wire it though (for now at least, since my parking is mostly covered and safe). Any recommendations to the contrary (say going with DDPAI z40 dual cam or others within budget of 10k)?
More importantly, any leads as to where can I get it fitted properly in Bangalore (especially since wire has to be routed to rear windshield and I don't want any dangling wires inside the cabin)?
Old 13th September 2021, 11:37   #3540
BHPian

Dashcam | Powerbank | Skoda Superb

Quote:
Thanks, paint thinner did the trick. Ordered this one. Let's see if this works.
Sticker - This Rylan stuff is really good. Have done 830 kms of highway + country roads with it. It's held it's post.

Dashcam - Was looking for a clutter free way of setting this up and here it is. Powered by a slim 10ah power bank that's perched on the visor and held by an elastic band. Wire is barely 5 cms long. Drove 9 hours yesterday and power bank is barely half way thru. I only use the power bank when I'm in the car, thus no worries of fire etc.
Attached Thumbnails
The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-dashcam.jpg  

Last edited by vinu_h : 13th September 2021 at 11:39.
vinu_h is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks