Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2021, 12:51   #3541
BHPian

Re: The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread

Folks,

Are there any dashcams with an auto off after idle feature ? My car's 12V socket is always on, even when the car is not running. Looking for a more permanent solution than 'start car, plug in | stop car, plug out'

Thanks!
Old 13th September 2021, 13:11   #3542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post
Are there any dashcams with an auto off after idle feature ?
I see an auto-off setting in my 70Mai A500s, but I never tried it.

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-97611f83d6254f94a97df3a8d9ab9dc4.jpeg
robincsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 21:12   #3543
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

Are there any dashcams with an auto off after idle feature ? My car's 12V socket is always on, even when the car is not running. Looking for a more permanent solution than 'start car, plug in | stop car, plug out'

Thanks!
Hardwiring to a switched (ACC) fuse is an option.
Old 13th September 2021, 21:23   #3544
Senior - BHPian

I dont think this is it. The dashcam switches off within 5 minutes of not receiving power. It is there in my VIOFO as well. Whereas his unit is continuously relaying power, so it needs a switch. In such a scenario I would use a powerbank (or a tiny Router UPS), and almost any dashcam should work
Quote:
Originally Posted by robincsamuel View Post
I see an auto-off setting in my 70Mai A500s, but I never tried
Old 13th September 2021, 21:45   #3545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I dont think this is it. The dashcam switches off within 5 minutes of not receiving power.
Not sure. I'll try to test this setting and update it here in a few days.

I did a quick search and landed on a 70mai forum (no idea if it's official/genuine but the domain is 70mai.com) and they say,

Quote:
Some users' car cigarette lighter will supply power all the time after stoping the car, which may expire the car battery.
For protecting the car battery, we add this option for them. You can ignore this option if you don't need
Link
robincsamuel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 17:19   #3546
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

Thanks!
You can buy a Dashcam hard wiring kit and connect it to an ACC fuse in the fusebox. Looks clean and neat well with no wires dangling around the center trim panel.
nightraven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 20:28   #3547
BHPian

Thanks folks. I don't want to hardwire the dashcams and risk voiding warranty. Anything else I can do?
Old 19th September 2021, 12:27   #3548
BHPian

Quote:
I'm using 70mai A500s and it has a mute button. I see the mute button on their webpage as well (screenshot below).

Attachment 2179131
Sorry, saw this a bit late. The cam I got doesn't have this mute button, instead it shows a front and back view swap button (just to select the view on the dashcam screen). To mute, I need to go settings and turn off the sound recording option

The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread-img_20210919_120106.jpg

I bought it in April this year. They must have updated the software then. I checked for a software, but couldn't find any.
ajishanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 16:37   #3549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I dont think this is it. The dashcam switches off within 5 minutes of not receiving power.
Quote:
Not sure. I'll try to test this setting and update it here in a few days.
I tested this and it works like that. I changed the setting to turn off after five minutes and kept the car on, and the dashcam turned off automatically after five minutes.

So if the power supply is always on and the car is stopped, the dashcam turns off after the specified period.

Quote:
Anything else I can do?
The 70Mai auto-off should work in your case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajishanand View Post
The cam I got doesn't have this mute button, instead it shows a front and back view swap button (just to select the view on the dashcam screen).
That's a bummer! Are you using the same model A500s? I have the mute button but I haven't connected a rear camera yet; not sure if the button changes based on that. Did you check if there's an option to customize the buttons? Also, can you please try unplugging the rear cam and see if the mute button shows up (after restart)?

My dashcam's firmware version is 1.0.6ww, published on 29 April 2021.
robincsamuel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 19:46   #3550
BHPian

Quote:
Also, can you please try unplugging the rear cam and see if the mute button shows up (after restart)?

My dashcam's firmware version is 1.0.6ww, published on 29 April 2021.
Thanks. That worked. Removed the rear cam and then the mute button showed up. In fact, I have connected the rear cam from day one, so never saw the mute button. When rear cam is connected, mute option becomes view swap. A little strange, a mute button could have been very convenient as I connect rear cam all the time.
ajishanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 10:33   #3551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajishanand View Post

I bought it in April this year. They must have updated the software then. I checked for a software, but couldn't find any.
Would you please check and confirm the following facts since you brought this camera quite earlier?

1. As I see the P icon on your dashcam display, I assume you hard-wired it with the ACC fuse for parking surveillance mode. Can you record buffered parking video or timelapse video (1 FPS) with this camera now? With the upgraded firmware (mine is 1.0.6ww while the latest international firmware is 1.0.10ww), it's confirmed they removed the ability. And I see in various online forums, this happened with A500S only as 70mai changed the chipset from premium Huawei to cheaper Novatek one. Earlier version of this camera (A500) had the buffered parking video option. Currently, with the hardwire kit installed I find the camera saying entering parking mode after 5 mins when I turn off the ignition and video gets recorded only when there is a huge thud on or near the car to trigger the G sensor of the dashcam. They even stopped supporting parking mode without using their official hardwire kit. But after finding this reality, I feel the parking mode in A500S is just a gimmick now.

2. Can you record 16:9 video with the front cam? I found no option for this. Older 4:3 format is an eyesore on the modern TVs.

3. Is there any way to remove the obtrusive 70mai logo from the videos? I own several dashcams since 2015 and none of them was without the option to remove the logo/watermark. I don't want to advertise 70mai with every clip I record!
Old 29th September 2021, 15:45   #3552
BHPian

Hello everyone. I have a XUV500 W11 AT and looking for a front dashcam. Not very keen to do hardwiring and planning to use a dashcam with powerbank. Have never used a dashcam earlier. I checked a local accessory shop and he suggested Blaupunkt model for 5K. I have read a bit about DDPAI and 70mai but I am confused which mode to buy. I chatted with Nexdigitron customer care and was suggested a dual cam setup but I think that would need hardwiring which I am not keen to do. For front cam I was suggested DDPAI mini 5 which is expensive. Can anyone suggest a good model. I am going on a road trip soon so need one both from security purpose and also for recording the route, though I also have a GoPro for that.
Old 29th September 2021, 15:55   #3553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
Hello everyone. I have a XUV500 W11 AT and looking for a front dashcam. Not very keen to do hardwiring and planning to use a dashcam with powerbank.
Not recommending any models since I don't have any significant experience with dashcams. Please read through the last few pages of this thread for opinions.

However, as for your other concerns - you don't need to use a Powerbank to power your dashcam. Your dashcam would connect to your 12v socket. Your rear camera would be connected to your front dashcam and would draw power from there.

You don't need to hardwire unless you plan to use the dashcam even when the vehicle is parked.
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 16:04   #3554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Not recommending any models since I don't have any significant experience with dashcams. Please read through the last few pages of this thread for opinions.

However, as for your other concerns - you don't need to use a Powerbank to power your dashcam. Your dashcam would connect to your 12v socket. Your rear camera would be connected to your front dashcam and would draw power from there.

You don't need to hardwire unless you plan to use the dashcam even when the vehicle is parked.
Thanks for your advice. I am not sure about wiring and will probably stick to front cam only. Will wait for recommendations from others. I checked the last few pages but still confused.
Old 30th September 2021, 19:42   #3555
BHPian

I too am confused and want to buy a dash cam in the upcoming sale with budget for 10k. Also, if I want to use it in the 12V socket, do I need to visit any accessory shop? Kindly note: I have done no DIY stuff in my car yet.
One more thing, if I use it in 12V charging socket, is there any issue of battery drain? My car is Nissan Kicks.

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks