Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2006, 17:08   #541
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
SK

As for the second HU, Hmmm.... I can smell an upgrade brewing from here... whatsay Zak?
I've picked up a P80RS too!!!!!
After making some calls for searching this .D.A.M.N. HU, I also bought one while it's still available. Call me M.A.D or whatever, I'm now a proud owner of a Pioneer P80RS. And the story ends here.

For the install news etc.. You mat check my thread 'Head units changed....mad' here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...tml#post276436
I am installing a slim PS2 in my car for the moment. It's not so easy to fit it in.

BTW, KB! hope your HU reaches here soon. Or is it here already? And now, you are settled with your 3 way setup? Or is it still left hanging??
Old 22nd August 2006, 17:37   #542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr
sq is not all about going very low i beleive.I would prefer my sub to lay 40-60Hz sounds better than it could play 20-25Hz frequencies.....

Am i right experts?
20 to 39 hz does make a lot of diff man u will have to hear to belive it. They make the sound sweet to hear the 40-60 makes the sound hurt the ears if played loud but 20-39 makes them ...........

low_bass is the way to go......
Old 22nd August 2006, 17:51   #543
BHPian

Agreed but all depends on the impedance curve of the driver and the SPL generated at 20-39Hz in comparison to the 40-60Hz.

What I mean to say is that in SQ application sub woofer should have a linear response which is more important than the ability to play low.
Old 22nd August 2006, 18:42   #544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile
Agreed but all depends on the impedance curve of the driver and the SPL generated at 20-39Hz in comparison to the 40-60Hz.

What I mean to say is that in SQ application sub woofer should have a linear response which is more important than the ability to play low.
this is correctly said .........need a good driver to produce good spl at low levels........
Old 22nd August 2006, 20:05   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kb,go for two 10" as 10"s will be produce more tight/punchy bass than two 12".
Doc Saab... As clarified... My purchase is made - I want to get at the academics of sub selection!

Quote:
is not all about going very low i beleive.I would prefer my sub to lay 40-60Hz .....

AHEM!!.... Doc?!?!? .. Bichu-lad-gaya??

Sam there?..,,,, Saaaam??

Last edited by kb100 : 22nd August 2006 at 20:06.
Old 23rd August 2006, 09:34   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
but the 10 can go low but 12 inches can go more low than the 10inches.....
LBM, this is a misconception. You are falling prey to Internet ICE trivia. Spend some time comparing good 10" and 12" subs from the same product range. Lets take the iDQ10 and iDQ12. You will find the 10" goes just as low. It is just that the 12" will have a bit more loudness in the lower end, 20~40Hz... whereas around 40~60Hz, the 10" is alomost as loud as the 12".

For low bass... now since most natural music tends to have little information around 20-30Hz, this isnt such a big problem. Low bass is by and large found in electronic music or hip hop and if your music consists 90% of the above genres then low bass should be important. But if you tend to listen to little of hip hop and more of rock, pop, etc you need a linear sub that can represent the whole band well, integrates well with your midbass and doesnt attract attention onto itself.
Old 23rd August 2006, 11:31   #547
Senior - BHPian

bahut theek bola phaji ...... I mainly listen to Hip-hop thats why in some track u find the low_bass there thats why I said so............but when comparing 10 with 12 I would go for a 12 man .........
Old 23rd August 2006, 12:36   #548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
bahut theek bola phaji ...... I mainly listen to Hip-hop thats why in some track u find the low_bass there thats why I said so............but when comparing 10 with 12 I would go for a 12 man .........
LBM phaji, any subwoofer driver can have a really low Fs and real low frequency response. That's not such a big deal. There is no rule to compare a 10 to a 12 or 15 or whatever when they have the same roots. I had a post about this sometime back, no idea how to find it though.

Here's how I think you could decide, Kb.

The following statements are only true assuming that the brand or line of subs has already been finalized based on musical taste, and the only decision remaining is the size of the sub, which I think applies to Kb's question.

Hence that leaves us with only one consideration, the magnitude of bass required, without compromising output quality due to operating conditions.

So, start with assessing the rest of your system that you already have or plan to incorporate in the final setup, see how much mids and highs are going in, and based on the respective sensitivities, amplification power etc, how much amount of bass are you going to require for a fully balanced sound.

Without elaborating on how you got there, let's suppose you need the bass equivalent to one 15" powered with 'X' amount of power, it would be better to have two 12s do the job.

The advantage can be viewed in 2 ways in this case: either you get more bass with the same amount of input power on account of more cone area (2x12" have more cone area than 1x15" by almost 50%), OR you get the same amount of bass with lesser average cone displacement. So you can either still use the original 'X' amount of amplification power to get more bass, or you can buy an amplifier with lower power output, get the same amount of bass as originally desired, and save some amplification cash.

Two 12s could take up more usable space than a 15, but there is a chance that because of the shape of your car's rectangular shaped trunk (high width, but limited breadth), it's impossible to get in a 15, but you can easily pop in two 12s (Maruti 800 for instance)

BUT, it wouldn't really be an advantage to get three 10s. The combined radiating surface area of 3 10s would be almost equal to that of two 12s, so you neither get more bass nor lesser displacement. And 10s are usually designed with lower Xmax than comparable 12s, so the cone distortion will actually be higher here. Another disadvantage could be that this is an unaccomodable box, although not necessarily larger.
Old 23rd August 2006, 13:19   #549
Team-BHP Support

LBM I know of a 6" woofer that can play as low as 20Hz (in a TL nonetheless).
Old 23rd August 2006, 16:20   #550
Senior - BHPian

ok ok

this I said before the space constrains , all the subs can go low.....http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/278549-post533.html

but the best all rounder bet is the 12 inch sub...and max use is of the 12 inch . yes other subs are also used but the 12 inchs outperform the all other sub like 8,10,15,18,21 in quantity also.....correct me if wrong.....

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 23rd August 2006 at 16:23.
Old 23rd August 2006, 16:48   #551
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
yes other subs are also used but the 12 inchs outperform the all other sub like 8,10,15,18,21 in quantity also.....correct me if wrong.....
I think you mean 12" subs outsell msot other sizes.
Old 23rd August 2006, 17:07   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb
LBM... My question is not the brand... or the SPL... I am saying even if it is iDMAX... which one will you choose for SQ and why... the 10/12/15?? (dont think they make an 8 in the Max range)
Kb,i posted my response to ur 'which one' part and left the 'why' query to experts though based on my memory i advised u to go for two 10".
Almost 10 months ago i had same question to experts--which one will you choose for SQ and why... The most important word here is SQ i beleive.
And all the experts including navin and Jb had advised me to got for 10" as acc. to them 10" would produce more tight and punchy bass.

Now most will agree that in general[i repeat in general...not sam's little tattoed general!!]tight and punchy bass is very important part of SQ.
I hope i'm not way out of track here.....

And KB,no need to call sam...[let him 'help' his assistants in distributing freshners to us]that was a typo but now have a look at that post now.Someone has corrected that,my thanx to him.

And brother very_low_bass_makker,i cant argue with u when it comes to low_bass as u urself seem to be very much fond of low_bass_sounds...lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunbir
For low bass... now since most natural music tends to have little information around 20-30Hz, this isnt such a big problem.
thats what i wanted to say but couldn't put in right words.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 23rd August 2006 at 17:09.
Old 23rd August 2006, 17:54   #553
Senior - BHPian

The most important question of all what does the phrase "Sound Quality" means to u all people and experts here in the forum ????????????

Please people comment on the same.......
Old 23rd August 2006, 17:58   #554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The most important question of all what does the phrase "Sound Quality" means to u all people and experts here in the forum ????????????

Please people comment on the same.......
certainly not the loudness
Old 23rd August 2006, 18:13   #555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
certainly not the loudness
it is allright not loudness then what.....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks