Old 7th May 2009, 17:27   #676
Senior - BHPian

Come to Pune & you can try in with a sub nobody in world would ever imagine
Old 7th May 2009, 17:35   #677
Senior - BHPian

Ummm Let me guess Sony?
Old 7th May 2009, 17:56   #678
Senior - BHPian

everyone LOVES their system but i doubt all of us can appreciate each other's tastes. someone might like the tweeters on +6db (bleeding their ears, nonetheless :-) and i might like then on -3 db!
it depends on how the system is tuned, and whether you enjoy music the way its playing.
yes, equipment wise, if i drew a list of the stuff in my car, even i would be shocked. luccent speakers, dls, eclipse, genesis, all good stuff!

Techno bhau, thank you for the example: you might be LOVING the sony sub (quite evidently, and i like that!) even if its flamed like crap on team-bhp! this is what i was explaining to zerocritical paaji!

PS: i just read what i wrote, sorry for the rambling! i am NOT an audiophile and dont have any gyan..LOL. im just someone who loves his music, and ACCIDENTALLY managed to upgrade his system so many times. Dont want to sound like an uncle who knows everything :-P

Last edited by frankmehta : 7th May 2009 at 18:00.
Old 7th May 2009, 18:02   #679
Senior - BHPian

@abhinav- Sahi Jawab

Quote:
Techno bhau, thank you for the example: you might be LOVING the sony sub (quite evidently, and i like that!) even if its flamed like crap on team-bhp! this is what i was explaining to zerocritical paaji!
Eggzactly, you know what? I may for once think about upgrade for the amp but I am really happy with the sub & this is after hearing to various subs in various cars. Infact even If I decide to get a new amp I may still use the current one to play the sub
Old 7th May 2009, 18:10   #680
Senior - BHPian

Proud of you man! I wish I could learn to be like that!
Old 7th May 2009, 18:37   #681
Senior - BHPian

Nah As they say 'Never Say Never'
In my case I know for sure that this is the best combo that I have got in my budget & for even a few grands more I wont get anything which is substantially better(i.e. as per my tastes) besides there is other stuff which needs to be upgraded before I can think of the sub so I am not bothered
Old 7th May 2009, 18:40   #682
Senior - BHPian

attaboy! what needs to be upgraded :-P
tell us, maybe we can suggest some stuff 'within your budget'
Old 7th May 2009, 19:16   #683
Senior - BHPian

Well the amp is the only major contender other could be more damping but all this wont be happening anytime soon
Old 8th May 2009, 14:41   #684
Senior - BHPian

It's UPDATE time!

Just got back from Hermit Audio.
-The Genesis amp is NOT dead on arrival. In fact its working perfectly. Thanks to Anish Poddar (anish9000) for the Genesis amplifier.

-The 2 subs are not going in isobaric form. I think we are placing them bilaterally into a sealed enclosure, which will be a modification of the one in my car right now.

-The rear parcel shelf looks like an eyesore, what with the gaping holes that were made for the rear fills and the free air subwoofer. It might be replaced totally by a new one. OR this one might be carpetted. Whichever.

-I might ask some more parts of the boot to be damped. Depends on how the pair of subwoofers behave in the boot.

-The tweeter position looks like it might undergo some changes. The door pads maybe?

-Head unit and the interconnects, alongwith the amplifier for the front stage arrive in 10 days. Hence the countdown begins.

Till that time, here's a feast of some photos of the sub stage!
Attached Thumbnails
Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010568-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010571-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010574-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Frankmehta’s eS(Q)teem®: Eclipse| Illusion Audio| DLS| Genesis| Monster|Hermit-p1010582-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Old 8th May 2009, 15:33   #685
BHPian

wow those lucents are extremely shallow, wonder how they boom...Definitely an SQ sub eh
Old 8th May 2009, 15:38   #686
Senior - BHPian

Wow those are some nice pics, cant wait for the the complete install pics
Old 8th May 2009, 15:59   #687
BANNED

Nice pics doc.. i too wonder how such a shallow sub boom so much!!! ???
Old 8th May 2009, 16:21   #688
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocritical View Post
Nice pics doc.. i too wonder how such a shallow sub boom so much!!! ???
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
wow those lucents are extremely shallow, wonder how they boom...Definitely an SQ sub eh
Most woofers have ferrite magnets (specifically Barium Ferrite sometime Strontium Ferrite). These have a NdFeB magnet and this magnet can be made awful small while still producing an adequate flux field. Illusion's designers (or shoud I say designer) hence thought that they could put thsi small magnet in front of the cone instead of behind it.

NdFeB magnets are often used for tweeters where size was ciritcal or in very high end ribbon speakers (Fountek Pro5, BG,, NewForm, etc..) where a strong flux field over a large area was required. I'm glad to see NdFeB used more often now. ScanSpeak's Illuminator series for example.
Old 8th May 2009, 17:42   #689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Most woofers have ferrite magnets (specifically Barium Ferrite sometime Strontium Ferrite). These have a NdFeB magnet and this magnet can be made awful small while still producing an adequate flux field. Illusion's designers (or shoud I say designer) hence thought that they could put thsi small magnet in front of the cone instead of behind it.

NdFeB magnets are often used for tweeters where size was ciritcal or in very high end ribbon speakers (Fountek Pro5, BG,, NewForm, etc..) where a strong flux field over a large area was required. I'm glad to see NdFeB used more often now. ScanSpeak's Illuminator series for example.
**Bows in awe to the Guru of boom**
Thanks Navin that helps a lot. Really hope to meet you some day, hopefully when my humble system goes into my humble car. I'd love to get your opinion on the same, and an opportunity to learn a whole lot more.

However a question related to what you've said above:
What difference does it make? Does this design improve efficiency? Accuracy of the woofer? or is it just design variation?

The reason I ask this is that many other manufacturers of say more expensive equipment still keep their magnets behind the cone, does that mean that this new design has flaws in high power/flex (Xmax) applications?
Old 9th May 2009, 00:39   #690
Senior - BHPian

thank you guys. the subs and amp indeed look good. in fact, better in pics than in the flesh. lol.
i am waiting eagerly for my equipment to fly in now! its less than 9 days from today :-)

thanks navinji for that awesome information. its quite an honour to have you answer so many of our queries.
as for the advantages and disadvantages for having the motor in the front or the back, the gurus will have to come and talk us through it.
cheers!

Last edited by frankmehta : 9th May 2009 at 00:42.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks