Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2009, 12:15   #721
BHPian

you have a good amp. 130x2, closer to 140. So why not go active? As far as my research goes it seems to be your best bet for your SQ setup. And you can go in for a FG panel on the door with on axis mounting for the tweeter and a slightly angled placement of the midbass. That'll sort out any issues with soundstage level even if you run passive.
Old 13th May 2009, 12:20   #722
BHPian

In passive setup, Time alignment is not much of help.If you want tweeter to be on axis then you can go for kick panel install,legs and dash do pose an issue when the tweeter is placed near floor.But when tweeter is on axis(or 0-15 deg off),then both tweet and midbass are better aligned.
Tweeter placed on dash most of times over-power midbass or one can easily feel two different source of sounds!
You can try different locations,with temp tweeter placement.

@Docg, frank needs 5 channel of amplification to go active,right now he has three!

Last edited by Gill : 13th May 2009 at 12:22.
Old 13th May 2009, 12:23   #723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
you have a good amp. 130x2, closer to 140. So why not go active? As far as my research goes it seems to be your best bet for your SQ setup. And you can go in for a FG panel on the door with on axis mounting for the tweeter and a slightly angled placement of the midbass. That'll sort out any issues with soundstage level even if you run passive.
i need 6channels of amplification for an active setup (2 for the subs, and 2 for the fronts) i have only 4 as of now.
about the FG part, will have to sort that out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
In passive setup, Time alignment is not much of help.If you want tweeter to be on axis then you can go for kick panel install,legs and dash do pose an issue when the tweeter is placed near floor.But when tweeter is on axis(or 0-15 deg off),then both tweet and midbass are better aligned.
Tweeter placed on dash most of times over-power midbass or one can easily feel two different source of sounds!
You can try different locations,with temp tweeter placement.
time alignment makes a HUGE difference regardless of whether its active or passive, and the only difference in an active setup is, that one can time-align the midbasses more accurately.
i need to zero down on the different locations though. and then have pods made as required.
Old 13th May 2009, 12:31   #724
BHPian

In passive setup you can align the delay with left and right channel mode,not tweet and mid, what's why I wrote it's not much of help!
Can the MK7200or profile amp run the subs in stereo mode?
Old 13th May 2009, 12:34   #725
Senior - BHPian

ummm i should think so (but the genesis is a mono, not a 2 channel)
does it make a hell of difference? according to me, i dont even think there is an audible difference between stereo mode and mono mode for the subs!

about the time alignment: spot on :-)
Old 13th May 2009, 12:42   #726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
tweeter close to the midbass would be technically lowering the soundstage right?
how much does time alignment help in RAISING the soundstage in an Passive setup? I know its way too easy in an Active setup, but we are not going active here.
Here are some articles I found, may be this might help a bit. Think about the times when there was no TA available in a Headunit, in that case what would one do? If you manage to get best possible sound stage with TA first, adding a TA to it latter will complement it much better. Best would be to try each position with TA and see which one suits the best. Few years back when I had been to US I had experienced this. The car used was a honda civic with 4 components up front in doors and kick panel enclosure, just 2 10" sub. Once I sat inside I couldn't tell the sound was coming from the doors. It felt right up there front of my face.

How to Get the Best Stereo Imaging & Soundstage

rec.audio.car FAQ (Part 4/5)
Old 14th May 2009, 14:20   #727
Senior - BHPian

thank you abhishek.
working out the final details with ajay soon.
looks like the install might not happen in time. my equipment is held up.
a week or more :-(
Old 14th May 2009, 14:56   #728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
thank you abhishek.
working out the final details with ajay soon.
looks like the install might not happen in time. my equipment is held up.
a week or more :-(
Patience always wins.. and your wait is definitely gonna be worth it.
As far as I know Doc's meant to have lot of patience, not sure in your case

Awaiting for thee day to come.
Old 16th May 2009, 00:32   #729
Senior - BHPian

Thus far :-) the final setup looks this way:

Head Unit: Eclipse CD7200MKII

Speakers
:

Illusion Audio Luccent IM6.1 Component Speakers upfront with the Passive crossover

Illusion Audio Luccent IM12 x 2 Subwoofers in a Sealed Enclosure in the Boot

Amplifiers:

For the Components: DLS Reference RA20 2-Channel Power Amplifier

For the 2 Subwoofers: Genesis Profile Sub Monoblock Amplifier

Wiring:

Power Cables: Polycab 2 Gauge Cabling

RCAs: Monster XLN Pro. 2 Nos. of 2 Channels Each.

That's about it.

The update is just to refresh memories. Install is still less than a week away.
Old 16th May 2009, 00:53   #730
BHPian

Why dont you get some rear fills, i am trying a no-rear setup but enjoy suround sound much much much more, personal experience thats all.
Old 16th May 2009, 00:54   #731
BHPian

Counting days on fingers?
Frank,What about fuseholder for power cable?Will the power cable be routed through distribution block or separate run of power cables for each amp?
BTW which location have you finalised for tweeters?
Old 16th May 2009, 00:59   #732
Senior - BHPian

@abhay: i am graduating from a setup that had rear fills, but they were kept off most of the time. Hence they are out of the equation. Don't like sound coming from behind me anymore :-)

@gill: you bet. waiting for the equipment to fly in, with bated breath. the excitement is killing me! after long I shall get to *UNBOX* new stuff. looking forward to that!
there are 2 sets of power cables, hence no distribution blocks. 2 fuses are being used too.
as for the tweeter position, mr hermit is going to think of something at the spur of the moment. then, in a couple of days, will have pods made accordingly. don't want to plan anything without his suggestion!
Old 16th May 2009, 01:01   #733
Senior - BHPian

Abhay.
A Surround Sound will disturb the sound stage compared to the front.
And as frank sits in the front only, he doesnt require Fills.
Old 16th May 2009, 01:08   #734
BHPian

Keep posted about the tweeter location!Do click pics of power cable connectors and terminals!
All the best!
Old 16th May 2009, 01:13   #735
Senior - BHPian

sure thing!!

methinks this week is going to be one of the most eventful ones in the ICE section!

1. Zak's install (some say, it's the best of Zuheimi, so that's coming with a HUGE bang. Explains the silence before the storm right now!)

2. KK's new subs

3. My install

4. Manans Civic: Those IDMAX monsters are getting much deserved power hike. The Genesis Profile Sub Ultra goes in now. Also, the entire sub stage is going to be finished. Remember, its going to be a BBW install. So thats one more beauty!

5. Sathee's Fiesta has some kick*derrier* equipment that's gone in lately. Some good pics of that will be up soon!!!

6. Chiragh Bir is going to get the mono into his car

7. Amey already got Carbons in his beauty.

This is SOME week huh!?!

Last edited by frankmehta : 16th May 2009 at 01:17.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks