Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2005, 12:13   #331
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camry93
@Sam, I have a Sony CDX-F5510X HU.
Wanted to find out if I can connect it to a steering mounted remote control.
If yes, what is the model number of the remote control?
Of course, I would prefer it without any messy wires sticking out from everywhere.
I have a Petra with an OE leather steering wheel.
Approximate cost would be helpful too.
I have seen the sony remote control and it isnt steering mounted. it looks like an indicator knob and is infra red so you wont need wires. However it's a little wierd to use. It'll work with any head unit that accepts a regualar sony remote.

I am sorry, i dont have the model number, but you should get it at any good sony store.
Old 4th August 2005, 12:17   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Guys i need some urgent advice - A few months back, one of the rear speakers (left one to be precise) started crackling so the speakers were replaced with Alpine 690A. Now the right side speaker (Alpine 690A) has started crackling. I am not sure if I am plain unlucky or there is a problem with the HU. How do I find out that the HU is behaving OK? I generally use moderate volumes (12-14.... dunno the max but i'd asssume its 25). The HU is Sony 5500FX. No external amplifiers. I need to do a bit of homework before I pester my dealer to get me a new pair of speakers - don't want them to get fried if the HU is bad.
An update on post 292 - Crackling is not as consistent as I'd expect it to be.... It has appeared once or twice at fairly low volume when the music was not very bassy and today when I was listening to some stuff with moderate bass, it was not audible..... I am totally lost as of now :-)

Last edited by mohit : 4th August 2005 at 12:32.
Old 4th August 2005, 12:25   #333
Team-BHP Support

it appeared after the wires was changed. this will involve opening the amp and fixing the cold solder at the (female) RCA connectors on the amp.
Old 4th August 2005, 12:35   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
it appeared after the wires was changed. this will involve opening the amp and fixing the cold solder at the (female) RCA connectors on the amp.
I this in reply to my post? I have mentioned that I have to external amp.... just the HU amp.
Old 4th August 2005, 12:41   #335
Team-BHP Support

sorry about the mix up mohit. proof of my senility. does a visual inspection of the speakers show any tear in the cone or surround. were the speakers dropped (mis aligned voice coil).

try moving the cone (gently) of the speaker without the HU connected and see if the movement is scraping something. the movement of the cone should be smooth till it reaches it maximum.

if the speaker shows no signs then it must be the HU. Also what speaker wires are you using.
Old 4th August 2005, 12:49   #336
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys

Could you suggest a decent setup for a Tata Safari? I'm not much into auto sound, but I rather liked Rudra's setup which didnt have booming bass despite having a huge subwoofer in the boot.

Components I have in hand include a Pioneer Head Unit (one of those models that flip down to reveal the CD, and has various graphics on a blue and black screen including dolphins and stuff), a Pioneer 12 CD changer, a pair of Sony V1635X speakers.
Old 4th August 2005, 12:51   #337
Team-BHP Support

If your HU is ok. What I would do is spend money on an external amp, nice speakers and a sub. a budget of 20K would cover an amp (4K), speakers (9K), and active sub (7K).
Old 4th August 2005, 12:55   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If your HU is ok. What I would do is spend money on an external amp, nice speakers and a sub. a budget of 20K would cover an amp (4K), speakers (9K), and active sub (7K).
Thanks Navin

I just paid 4k for those Sonys, about 2 weeks back
Old 4th August 2005, 13:24   #339
Team-BHP Support

I meant 9k for 2 pairs of speakers if you are happy with the speakers just add a amp for 4K and a sub.
Old 4th August 2005, 13:30   #340
Distinguished - BHPian

Steeroid!! (Love the name)

Your decks ok, so's your changer. If you just bought those speakers, use them anyways. You didnt mention the size of the speakers.
My suggestion is that you get another nicer pair, preferable components (5.25" for the front) and put the sony's in the rear.
You could run these speakers off the head unit and get an active sub, but what would really be fun, is to get a decent 4ch amplifier, parallel connect the front and rear speakers to 2channels of the amplfier, and use the remaining 2 channels bridged into a 12" subwoofer in a box. You could either make a nice box, or buy a boxed subwoofer. Also see post #216 in this thread for selection of subs

Happy listening!
Old 4th August 2005, 13:36   #341
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit
An update on post 292 - Crackling is not as consistent as I'd expect it to be.... It has appeared once or twice at fairly low volume when the music was not very bassy and today when I was listening to some stuff with moderate bass, it was not audible..... I am totally lost as of now :-)
Mohit, you may not have a speaker problem. A couple of quick questions. If you're using 4 speakers in your car, carefully tell me if the sound comes from the front too. Stick the kaan in.
Please let me know, if your car is stationary, with the engine turned off, do you still have the crackling. We shall get to the bottom of this pesky problem.
Old 4th August 2005, 13:53   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Please let me know, if your car is stationary, with the engine turned off, do you still have the crackling. We shall get to the bottom of this pesky problem.
Yes... for sure! I located the source this way only..... Opened the boot and listened to both speakers. Thats how I know its the rear right. Will have to check the front one though. The fact that last time it was the rear left speaker puzzles me. That time the dealer and his installer simply listened to it for a minute and offered to change the speakers.....

Quote:
Also what speaker wires are you using.
Ahem.... Its some wire that I was told comes as Sony OEM. Basically two fused wires with connectors pre-fixed. Dunno much about it.

And no the speakers were not dropped. Will do the speaker inspection and let you guys know the findings.
One thing though.... When the speaker is crackling, if you touch the cone, it doesn't stop the crackling but changes its tone. Just an observation from a novice!
Old 4th August 2005, 15:44   #343
BHPian

Alpine components are bit pricey. :-(

How about Kicker and Cerwin Vega?

Kicker KS5.2 components, Cerwin vega HED-1502.

How these compare with ABs.
Old 4th August 2005, 17:39   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit
Yes... for sure! I located the source this way only..... Opened the boot and listened to both speakers. Thats how I know its the rear right. Will have to check the front one though.
ok. Mohit, swap the speakers. This is the simplest way of confirming.

Take the left rear WIRE only (this is a lot simpler than physically removing the speaker) and the right speaker WIRE only, and interchange them.
Do this and check if the crackling remains in the rear left or has the crackling gone over to the right this time.
If it's still in the left speaker, change the Speaker. If this time the crackling has moved over to the right, change the head unit.

Let me know
Old 4th August 2005, 17:40   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri
Alpine components are bit pricey. :-(

How about Kicker and Cerwin Vega?

Kicker KS5.2 components, Cerwin vega HED-1502.

How these compare with ABs.
All respectable speaker brands. They're all good amigo, it'll have to be a question of taste and price.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks