Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2005, 09:38   #196
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Once you fit the parcel shelf in, you cant make out in the rear anymore.
I know. But try making out in a car. Maybe we are older and less flexible but we tried in the back fo our Octy; it hurt!
Old 25th July 2005, 09:44   #197
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srasania
I thought for the subwoofer bass sounds to be heard,there shouldn't be any mechanical physical barrier to the flow of the bass sound..
1. subwoofer tend to produce low frequencies. Low freq = long wavelenghts. L = c/f where c = speed of sound. long wavelengths wont be restricted easily. There are methods to do this (trust me) but most of them are not practical in a car.

2. besides if you really want to have fun with low freq in a car you can make bass tunnels from the trucnk to the cabin. Any competition car audio site will discuss this in detail.
Old 25th July 2005, 09:47   #198
BHPian

Hey folks,

I just saw the August issue of Autocar India. On the JBL advertisement on the back cover, there is a shout to Team-BHP.

On behalf of all TBHPians, I would like to say, "Thanks, Sam!"
Old 25th July 2005, 10:02   #199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
Now since I answered most of your question, I guess I am an audio GURU now
correction assem, you answered all of the questions and very well i may add. given your past lines of reasoning and love for trying out components (regardless of their reputation) i think you will do great as an audio guru. there should be more of you.

As far as JBL goes (I am not defending the products Sam sells) I believe that they do use good quality components in their products but JBL sells becuase of its "extended high frequencies". I have used many JBL products the few I remember most.....JBLS 2245 and 2235 woofers, their 250Ti 5 way speaker, their Control 1 and Control 5 monitors (as well as the Pro III and Pro VIII monitors), UREI monitors (forget model number), etc...
Old 25th July 2005, 10:03   #200
Team-BHP Support

BTW Aseem, hope you enjoy your system for a long time. One of my systems is on it's 3rd car (1987-2005 and running still).
Old 25th July 2005, 11:15   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvmaster
Lancer mania.. the reason why they are dissuading you is the material Pioneer uses to manufacture their speakers. Treble is good, but not bass. Moreover, Pioneers available in our country arent necessarily the original ones... so you never know what you get.

I had used Pioneers for 14 years before i shifted to JBLs. And trust me, i am hooked to them. Why not give the CS3360 a try. They are excellent in terms of clarity and can handle a wide variety of music, without themselves distorting, until you reach the last 5% of the volume capability. And yes, they cost around 3.5 k a pair. Look at the GTO series as well since they have replaced the CS series (is that true Sam?) and should cost you the same or marginally more.

Revv
Hi Revv!
The CS series is a newer series from the GTO. CS is the econo option, meaning the GTO is superior quality. Both are running simultaneously

Cheers
Old 25th July 2005, 11:19   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob
Hey folks,

I just saw the August issue of Autocar India. On the JBL advertisement on the back cover, there is a shout to Team-BHP.

On behalf of all TBHPians, I would like to say, "Thanks, Sam!"
Hey no problemo JJ, I meant it.
Old 25th July 2005, 11:21   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Hey Ajay,
Primarily, the fewer components you have before your amplifier, the better it is. Equalisers were created to, well equalise, but somewhere along the way, they started doing quite the opposite. Navin will tell you why in great detail I suspect.
In particular, that eq you have offers unnatural boost to the lows and highs. While this may sound exciting to some, it can only create listening fatigue. I NEVER recommend an eq in the car, bad idea. Always better to use the milder and better sound eq settings provided in all good head units.
Guru Sam,

Appreciate your know-how on the Audio front!!!Amazing stuff man.
Well, I chose on the Equalizer primarily coz my setup was sounding pretty much like a LOUD SPEAKER before. Just like the loudspeakers on the Autorickshaw's used during the election times..:(
After the equalizer came in, the sound is worth a dime atleast. Now after the equalizer, this jarring seems to have come in. As you said above, might be the cause of offerinf unnatural boost. have checked up with the guy who did my setup. He says the problem is the rear deck vibrating. Guess Navin mentioned on that earlier. Will update you on the same.

Many Thanks.
Old 25th July 2005, 11:31   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon
Wow, got my head in a real spin reading all of the above...

Ok, I've booked a Baleno Lxi and am going to check out the market for car audios.

Unfortunately, although, I consider myself quite a car buff, as far as audio setups and different brands go, after reading all these posts, I just realised that i'm like some ape from the stone age!

Can U experts please help me out? I want a good Mp3/Cd multiple disc H.U if possible + 4 speakers- Ovals at the back? Co-axils?? Component speakers? Duhh?

Should i go in for Blaupunkt ( Bahamas, Los Angeles,etc. etc- they are available with the dealer) or go in for Sony xplod ystem? I don't think genuine Pioneer or JBL are available in these parts of the woods!

I know that Pioneer Headunits are compatible with i-pod. Can a Blaupunkt or Sony headunit be made compatible with the i-pod without losing out on the sound quality?

Lastly, from above posts I gather that for a good "hi-fi" sound, an amplifier is an absolute must. Could u guys suggest a couple of complete sets- Headunits, Front and Rear speakers,
tweeters(?), good wirings and amp from either Blaupunkt or Sony with their approximate costs so that I'm slightly prepared to face the dealer/ salesman/ con guy without looking like a real Dehaati..

I mentioned blaupunkt repeatedly coz I'm getting a 28k discount on the car and plan to spend it on the audio, if possible as the other accessories like tyres, alloys, rear spoiler etc.are much cheaper and got more variety outside. I Blaupunkt's really not worth it, pls. tell me.

I know all of U guys reading are thinking, " thios guy dosen't belong here!" what to do? with a Soft top Gypsy as a personal car and a Bolero as a family car, didn't get much chance to explore the finer aspects as far as in -car entertainment, til now.

Please help me out....
Hello Puffy,

Firstly, welcome and you do belong here. Your questions are sensible and you're not an ape (You should see some of the questions Navin and I get)

OK So one at a time.

I can help you get Genuine JBL in the north east. Let me know if you'd like the number of our Calcutta distributor. I'll PM you the number if you want.
There are Pioneer and Blaupunkt units that allow you to connect an auxilliary input with a special wire. Any of those will do nicely with an i-pod.

This 28K discount, is it necessary to spend it at the car showroom? Or can you pay that much less for the car and get work done outside? Becuase I'd rather you did that.
All said and done, Blaupunkt is a good car audio brand and if you can get past the staid looks, their stuff isnt bad.

So this is what you tell the audio salesman and the guy will think you're a pro and be on his guard.

Buy yourself a decent head unit of choice. Any decent brand that makes an MP3 and aux input unit. Navin and I are partial to Alpine, but if you have to choose between Sony ad Blaupunkt, I say go for the Sony.
The Baleno accomodates 6" speakers in the rear. Dont cut it up ad fit Ovals in there, keep it clean and pop in 6" round speakers. The front accomodates 5.25", see if you can get a component set for this.
A decent 4 channel amp and a bass box or tube and you're done my momo eating friend.

Cheers
Old 25th July 2005, 12:09   #205
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Hi audio techies,

I have crappy old blau 2way coaxials in the front of my car. They make cracking noises. Its coz of the wires from the cone to the dome tweeter. Can i just *snip snip* that wire and disconnect the dome (i wont miss the tweets), or is it likely to cause some stress on speakers inbuilt crossovers or something like that?

Thanks,
R
Just to let you guys know, i went in there to do some snip-snip, but (call it the hand of god) the damn door panel wouldnt come off coz of a newly fitted doorhandle (with glue!?). So i just shoved my hand in there and moved one of the wires (from the cone surface to the tweeter) and the cracking/kharkhar noise stopped. Hope it lasts.

Also just wanted to say that this thread absolutely rocks!! Non-stop audio techie entertainment!!
Thanks for the great stuff Navin, Sam, Vivek and upcoming gurus
(& thanks Sam, for the shoutout in ACI, still gotta check that out!)

cya
R
Old 25th July 2005, 12:20   #206
lancer_mania

still dont seem to have got a reply.please help some one

Old 25th July 2005, 12:32   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_mania
so the cs3360 are jbl right ?? could you suggest somthing really good that you would want to put in your car or already have which doesnt exceed 11k

looking for hu and front and rear speakers.

so please suggest a good combination.im very grateful for the response im getting and thanx in advance.
Sorry for the delay LM,

Here goes:
CS series: If you're looking for the 6" round, the model number is CS265e, the 6X9 is the CS396e. Make sure you get the "E" at the end, it's the new series.
In GTO, the equivalents are the GTO636e and the GTO936e.
A good HU would be a Sony or an alpine. Choose any within your budget. In the Zen, the front size is 4 - i suggest you put an a matching CS or GTO upfront. The model is GTO426e or CS205e.
You could cut the hatch of the Zen to fit the speakers, but please check a similar question on a Wagon R, from 3 days ago. The same rules apply to the Zen.

I Hope this answers your questions

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 25th July 2005 at 12:45.
Old 25th July 2005, 12:41   #208
lancer_mania

thanx so much sam but will this setup have good bass and it wont start cracking often will it.

by the way i need this setup for a zen so i read some where that you could fit the rear speakers in the hatch by cutting it out.so is tht advisible or will it vibrate too much

Old 25th July 2005, 12:43   #209
BHPian

I was experimenting with my car CD player and the JBL speakers. The 936s actually sound pretty decent in the box they came in. I am wondering if I could make the same sized boxes with 18mm MDF and use it.

Also, one more thing. Do any of you know if a 9-0-9 5 amp transformer will be enough to run a car stereo off the mains at home. And does the power supply need to be regulated?
Old 25th July 2005, 12:46   #210
BHPian

Quote:
by the way i need this setup for a zen so i read some where that you could fit the rear speakers in the hatch by cutting it out.so is tht advisible or will it vibrate too much
Boxes my man, boxes! That's the way you do it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks