Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2013, 16:47   #12046
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
You heared it correctly - it is helpful in all cases. Damping reduces road noise intruding via the door panels, and this noise is actually masking out the frequencies which you are able to hear only when you increase volume.

What exactly do you mean by saying 'bass is not very tight' in your system?
Sorry, I was out for quiet a long time.

My previous car had a sub and a pair of coax powerred by a four channel amp, so my ear got tuned for the BBAASSSS ;-). thats why i felt the lack of punch in my current setup i guess.

Two of my cousin recently bought the Figo and both of them find that my setup sounds way better, even i feel a huge difference after sitting on their cars with OEM setup.

It took sometime for the setup to finish its runin. Now I feel the system sounds crystal clear and with limited bass.

Regarding damping, The guy who fixed the components told me that sometimes the SC guys damage the damping material as he seen that it happened with two other customers, so he suggest to stay off unless i find it much necessary. Does anyone faced such issues?
Old 17th April 2013, 17:56   #12047
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
... Regarding damping, The guy who fixed the components told me that sometimes the SC guys damage the damping material as he seen that it happened with two other customers, so he suggest to stay off unless i find it much necessary ...
That is definitely some really weird reasoning, without knowing the why. Unless the damping material has been stuck on in a way that it prevents access to the winder motor assembly or door lock assembly and their screws, the service guys don't touch the damping material.

There is a good way of applying damping avoiding screws (or cutting away those small areas), and then there is the dumb way of covering every hole possible. The car owner can influence this by telling them what is right and what is wrong.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 23:30   #12048
BHPian

Looking for Help, currently I am using ID v3 D4 hooked on a DD CM600, Rainbow DL comp and coax powered by a DD C4C off an Alpine 117. How good an upgrade will be Infinity 120.9 ?
Old 20th April 2013, 11:56   #12049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_sun View Post
... How good an upgrade will be Infinity 120.9 ?
What's bugging you with the current setup? What caused the 'upgrade' thought?

Per se, the Infinity Kappa sub will not be drastically different from the ID3. If you know what exactly you are missing (possibly as compared to something else you listened to), you can normally bridge the gap by retuning your system or tuning your enclosure.
Old 20th April 2013, 19:00   #12050
BHPian

Friends,
Can you please suggest a good and VFM ICE for Honda Amaze base model i.e. S-MT. Wish to install a 4 speaker system with provision for adding up a reverse camerra and Navigation system in near future. A good sound quality is a must. I might be asking best of all the worlds...but thats what I wish to have. A touch screen interface would be icing on the cake. Gurus please suggest.
Old 20th April 2013, 23:32   #12051
BHPian

Quote:
What's bugging you with the current setup? What caused the 'upgrade' thought?

Per se, the Infinity Kappa sub will not be drastically different from the ID3. If you know what exactly you are missing (possibly as compared to something else you listened to), you can normally bridge the gap by retuning your system or tuning your enclosure.
I am a fan of bass that goes low, has a whole lot of punch as is not loud.
had a chance to experience the rainbow vanadium. Musical bass is what I seek, currently the ID sits in a sealed box damped all around with some polyfill.
Will a ported enclosure be a good step ?
Old 21st April 2013, 00:34   #12052

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suresh Nair View Post
The OE HU & Speakers tuned to perform does makes sense.

In fact I have been trying to reach Anwar for couple of days, but the cell phone number listed in Top Gear site has been switched off. I got the Chinese HU installed at EVO a month back, and when I told Satya that it sounds awful, he casually, almost with a lack of interest - he never stepped out of his office to listen - , suggested going for a 4 channel Amp & components + coaxials in the future. If he had shown more interest, I would probably have gone for teh upgrade then and there. I will try him/ Thouqeer / Anwar again. Meanwhile, based on my feedback, my Chinese supplier has sent me a firmware update which they say will improve the performance - Not sure if it will be effective any bit, but no harm in trying out, I guess.
Whether this firmware update works or not, I must quote that I am pleasantly surprised by the response from this particular Chinese supplier even after 5 months of purchase. In the past, they went through great deal of trouble to provide me India specific GPS & maps as the default one came with USA maps as I ordered this unit through Amazon USA.
Update: I am putting my ICE upgrade on hold - Reason: After the firmware update ad a day fiddling with equalizers, it suddenly dawned on me - With the 3 band equalizers adjustable on a scale of -10 to + 10, instead of having "0" as the starting flat setting, try with all bands at -10 - Crank up the volume to compensate for the -ve eq setting, and it was already sounding better. Finally, at Lo (-6), Mid (-7) and Hi (-1), the Chinese HU with stock Civic speakers was sounding really sweet and punchy. Excellent frequency reproduction, clarity and tight bass ( that is right, stock Civic speakers). My friend who auditioned could not believe his ears, as this was sounding better ( at sane listening volume) than his ICEd Swift with Pio HU, JBL GT components and Sub with JBL amp. I just drove aimlessly all day, just enjoying the car and the newfound music quality.

I may out grow this quantum jump in quality in few months, but till then I am putting my upgrade plans on hold.
Old 21st April 2013, 11:43   #12053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_sun View Post
I am a fan of bass that goes low, has a whole lot of punch as is not loud. ...
Will a ported enclosure be a good step ?
Good, at least you are able to describe what you want. But, you have not expressed what is missing in the current setup.

Your problem is most likely to do with enclosure size, though unless you say what is missing one cannot say under- or over-sized. Polyfill is necessary, and unless stuffed too much, doesn't harm anything.

Ported enclosures are much more sensitive to tuning (volume as well as port). Needs a few iterations to get it right. If not done right, it may upset the current balance altogether.

Do try to induce our Bhai LBM Singh Freedabadwale (low_bass_makker; extremely elusive and difficult to catch like the proverbial Cheshire Cat) to audition your current system. He will be able to listen and tell you what is missing and what should be done to correct it.

Quote:
Update: I am putting my ICE upgrade on hold - Reason: After the firmware update ad a day fiddling with equalizers. ...
A palliative if I have ever heard of one! The improvement in sound has nothing to do with the software update. It was the magic done by your own ears and hands!!!
Old 22nd April 2013, 06:30   #12054

Quote:
Good, at least you are able to describe what you want. But, you have not expressed what is missing in the current setup.

Your problem is most likely to do with enclosure size, though unless you say what is missing one cannot say under- or over-sized. Polyfill is necessary, and unless stuffed too much, doesn't harm anything.

Ported enclosures are much more sensitive to tuning (volume as well as port). Needs a few iterations to get it right. If not done right, it may upset the current balance altogether.

Do try to induce our Bhai LBM Singh Freedabadwale (low_bass_makker; extremely elusive and difficult to catch like the proverbial Cheshire Cat) to audition your current system. He will be able to listen and tell you what is missing and what should be done to correct it.

A palliative if I have ever heard of one! The improvement in sound has nothing to do with the software update. It was the magic done by your own ears and hands!!!
DerAlte, The software update changed the way the system responds to the equalizers and that made all the difference (for now). I believe there is no absolute and eternal Nirvana with tech upgrades for a "greedy and to an extent, snob" guy like me, and I revel in the elation of each improvement I can have. I guess that need to keep on upgrading is true with audio enthusiasts as well ( recollect Dinu's Ciciv ICE upgrade?)

So this is only one baby step of many to come. This gives me more time to research for the next level of excitement once the current wave dies down. Meanwhile, I was preoccupied making the most of my neighbor family's out of town trip, by trying to calibrate and fine tune my home theater set up, almost bringing the walls down in the process

(Foot note: I could finally get Anwar on phone, and have made an appointment for this evening, for first round of consulting and auditioning.
)
Old 22nd April 2013, 10:28   #12055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... software update changed the way the system responds to the equalizers ...
Hardware function - software update will not do anything with it.
Old 22nd April 2013, 12:15   #12056

Quote:
Hardware function - software update will not do anything with it.
I agree this is the normal case, except what I have is a Win CE based HU, and the music player is a software app where the behavior of the equalizers did change with the software update.
Old 22nd April 2013, 12:48   #12057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... except what I have is a Win CE based HU, and the music player is a software app where the behavior of the equalizers did change with the software update.
Interesting! Can you explain how the behaviour changed?
Old 22nd April 2013, 19:22   #12058
Senior - BHPian

Just want to upgrade the front speakers of XUV5OO.....request to recommend any two models...might select based on availability

PS: No other additions
Old 23rd April 2013, 17:04   #12059

Quote:
Interesting! Can you explain how the behaviour changed?
The HU had a 3 band equalizer, with control points (approximately) at 200Hz, 1KHz and 8KHz. Prior to the firmwareupdate, when the 200Hz is pulled boosted by +10dB, <100Z and >300Hz hardly got changed, as only a narrow band of frequency was getting adjusted by the control points. After the firmware update, each control point affects a wider band of frequency. So now when I pull up 200Hz by +10dB, <100Hz and >300Hzgets boosted by around +4db. The narrow band frequency control curve is good if you have a 10 band graphic equalizer, which allows you to control more accurately. However, in a 3 band equalizer, this will cause too much imbalance in frequency response. I have made an approximate frequency response curve comparison between the Pre & post software upgrade, but I am still a Newbie and am not allowed to upload pictures yet to Team BHP
Old 23rd April 2013, 17:43   #12060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The HU had a 3 band equalizer, with control points (approximately) at 200Hz, 1KHz and 8KHz. ...
I think I am getting a fair idea what you are referring to.

Boss, what you are seeing is a changed graphical interface, not changed equalizer behaviour. The equalizer is implemented in hardware, whose gain setting points at those frequencies is set by the GUI interface. No matter what GUI you put in, it actually changes a number in the equalizer, which represents the gain at that frequency. The slope associated with each point would be a rather shallow but fixed 6dB/octave.

We can draw the lines on the GUI whichever way we want, whether it is a graph whose line can be pulled up or down, or show sliders, for each changeable frequency - it is one and the same. You are changing only the gain number and not the slope.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks