Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2013, 13:08   #31
BHPian

Re: DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranvakati View Post
Posting the pics of the work done on the WagonR.
Got 20 sq.ft of greyish black colour.
That's a really nice job. Could you share the details of the shop in Chennai and also the cost per sqft of the mat ? I'm also planning to do this on my Punto.
donzerus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 13:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

You sure they wont move a bit depending on bumps , turns etc , maybe something which can give them a little support in terms of being together and not flapping over? Great job.

Quote:

Rear mats in place. Made sure had extra bit on both the mats over the hump. One will rest on the other.

Last edited by puchoo : 26th September 2013 at 13:58.
Old 27th September 2013, 12:58   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
You sure they wont move a bit depending on bumps , turns etc , maybe something which can give them a little support in terms of being together and not flapping over? Great job.
Thanks Puchoo, This mat is on the heavier side and for sure will not move on bumps or turns. Only issue could be the 3 rd person in the middle might lift it accidentally while moving the feet over the hump. Even then underlying layer will protect the dirt from creeping on to the floor and also im pretty sure the whole mat will never move as it is heavy and secured under the front seat rails.
kiranvakati is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 19:19   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donzerus View Post
That's a really nice job. Could you share the details of the shop in Chennai and also the cost per sqft of the mat ? I'm also planning to do this on my Punto.
Today i went to Jam Bazaar (road from express avenue/Royapettah clock tower junction towards beach road) where you can find wholesale dealers for all foam/matress/curtains/carpets.
Price for the noodle mat started from Rs. 60 and they have material costing up to Rs. 120 based on quality. We dont need top notch quality for our purpose. Lookwise all are same.
They also mentioned there are lower quality material available for even Rs.35. But none in that area were selling that. I checked with them on the difference between Rs. 35 and Rs.60 material. They mentioned Rs. 35 material wont last long under sun. Ideally for car floor Rs.35 material should suffice as quality is required for those which are being used as outdoor carpets which will go thru heavy abusive use.

Tomorrow i might go to parrys corner, will look at the cheaper quality items and then decide which one to buy.
kiranvakati is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 15:56   #35
BHPian

Dinu,
Iam impressed with your work. Infact, I have been in search for a 3D mat for my Waggy during the last few days but in vain.

I am happy that I found your article. Now I don't look anywhere.

I am gonna try this during this weekend itself.

Thanks for the nice article.
Old 1st October 2013, 20:14   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Tomorrow i might go to parrys corner, will look at the cheaper quality items and then decide which one to buy.
Did you succeded at getting it at cheaper price. Would be looking forward to your initial ownership report of mat @ 35 psft
Old 1st October 2013, 23:33   #37
Senior - BHPian

Guys who are interested in a DIY can source 3M nomads themselves from http://emahendra.com/matting/40-3m-n.../type-low_duty
DRIV3R is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 21:10   #38
Team-BHP Support

Looks like the OP has definitely inspired some of us to go the DIY way. Thoroughly impressed at the way the mats were cut and installed in the Verna. Good job Dinu! And thank you for the inspiration. DIY always has that sense of satisfaction.

This was today's purchase:

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-wp_20131003_20_20_28_pro.jpg

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-wp_20131003_20_20_46_pro.jpg

The dealer was selling it in 2 ft and 4 ft widths. This was a bit pricier because apparently 'it has two colors'! It was being sold for Rs. 95 per sq. ft. Got a roll of 12 ft length (so that's 24 sq. ft), negotiated as much as we could and paid Rs. 2150. Quality looks pretty good. The only thing that remains is to get the templates done properly and get it cut to perfect dimensions of the floor.

Oh man, the car hasn't arrived yet but all the accessories have!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd October 2013 at 21:12.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 10:47   #39
BHPian

Do these dry out quickly if they get wet in the monsoons?
Old 4th October 2013, 16:09   #40
BHPian

Wanted to check if there are any dealers in Mumbai who can do the cutting and fitting on the car. I'm too bad in art work hence need help.
Old 4th October 2013, 20:49   #41
BHPian

The only thing that worries me about these mats is whether they are waterproof, because, if they are not, during the rains, water will get down to the base carpet which will lead to problems of soiling of the carpets and the signature musty smell. Also, if anyone travels long distances with kids, they will also be aware of the chances of fluids being spilt.

Otherwise, they do look good!
Old 4th October 2013, 21:38   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Was looking for a change of floor mats for my 4 year old Verna. Did not want to spend too much, so the 3D, 3M etc was ruled out. Did not want a repeat of the rubber mats as well. I had seen rolls of the noodle mat (similar to 3M Nomad), so thought I would do a DIY with this. Was a long weekend with Monday being a holiday, I thought I would take this up. Really happy that it came out well. Will observe for few days and maybe do a repeat for my X1.
The material is available in two widths - 2 feet and 4 feet. It is sold in sq ft, so its important that you first take an approx measure of how much you will need so as to avoid wastage. I bought a 2 feet width one (beige colour), 8.5 feet length. Thats 17 sq ft. After a bit of bargaining, got it at Rs. 1300. I'm sure you will get it cheaper if you scout around. I got it at approx Rs 76/sq ft.
Next is to get a newspaper template of the exact dimensions and then cutting the material as per this template. You will always need to do some final tweaking in the car - especially to accomodate the cutting for dead pedal, fuel lid opener etc.
Tools needed - Good pair of scissors, Measuring tape, Marker.
Let the pictures do the talking. Hope you like it.
Many thanks for the detailed review Dinu. Do you by any chance have the contact details or location details of the shop where you bought the stuff from Thippasandra. Planning to get it done for my vehicle as well.
Old 4th October 2013, 23:41   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhare View Post
Did you succeded at getting it at cheaper price. Would be looking forward to your initial ownership report of mat @ 35 psft
Couldnt reply last week as i was travelling. I didn't hunt for Rs. 35 mats as i was advised the quality will be bad. I bought for Rs. 57.50 at george town.

I would suggest ppl in chennai to buy from Royapettah. You can easily find a parking space in royapettah compared to george town. If Royapettah is too far, you can even find the noodle mat on 100 ft. Rd between vadapalani and CMBT. Look for carpets/curtain material store.

I bought beige colour for my duster. Bought 20 sq.ft and was exact fit, nothing left out. I would suggest to get 22-24 sq.ft to be in comfort zone, i i spent lot of time deciding on right way to cut the mat. Posting pics of the same.
DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-image_13.jpeg
DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-front_driver_mat.jpg
DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-front_passenger_mat.jpg
DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-rear_mats.jpg
DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-rear_mats_inplace_1.jpg

Normal dirt or sand handling is almost same as my old mats, except that will not visible on this noodle mat which looks neat as dirt will be hidden.

When it comes to mud, noodle mat is easy to handle. With my old cloth mat, the mud(especially during rainy season) gets stuck on it and we have to wash or scrap the mats to get rid of the dried sticky mud(forms a thick sheet on the flat mat). With noodle mat, the sticky mud gets disintegrated by the noodles (i couldn't come up with apt name ) and are divided in to multiple particles which can be dusted of using a simple brush.

I haven't yet experienced water/fluid spillage. But im sure water will not seep in to car floor as this mat has a rubber layer at the bottom and also should dry faster than regular car mats.
kiranvakati is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 14:14   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIBIN004 View Post
Many thanks for the detailed review Dinu. Do you by any chance have the contact details or location details of the shop where you bought the stuff from Thippasandra. Planning to get it done for my vehicle as well.
I bought it from a shop called Handloom House on Thippasandra Main Road. On the right when you come down 100 metres from 80 ft road side.
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 20:49   #45
Team-BHP Support

Got mine done yesterday on my GT TDI with the help of our apartment's caretaker. He turned out to be very helpful. All it took was an hour and some elbow grease.

I did a big mistake and repeated it! I took the template using the newspaper but forgot to turn it upside down before cutting the mat from its flat side. Fortunately, because the car's carpet area was exactly symmetrical about the centre line, the mats fit properly without issues. Someone here has made a mention of it but I shall say it again - if you are taking the template from the carpet side, do not forget to turn it upside down before cutting the mat from the flat side.

Here are some snaps. Pardon the quality. Clicked them at night!

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-img_2919.jpg DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-img_2911.jpg
DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-img_2915.jpg DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-img_2912.jpg

Pretty clear from this snap, that the mats are symmetrical.

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-img_2923.jpg

Thanks to dinu once again!
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks