Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2013, 11:51   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats

So, after getting them fitted in our car (most of the cutting work done by my wife), we went for a 3 day trip (1000 KM's).
The mats look clean even after that long drive. This is quite different from the earlier mats that I had which used to look really dirty after such an outing.
I don't see a need to clean the mats and I have a 2000 KM trip starting on Saturday.

I will post some pictures in a few days.
Old 10th November 2013, 12:04   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Thanks for the acknowledgement. Yogamat is a wonderful material for DIY. I have lost count of the number of instances I have used a yogamat both in cars and at home.
Thanks dinu. Planning to do something like this as door rattles are affecting ride quality http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...yoga-mats.html
Old 11th November 2013, 16:43   #78
BHPian

DIY - 3M Nomad type noodle mats for Ford Ecosport

Before I start I would like to thank fellow BHPIAN dinu2506 who has put up a detailed thread on this which actually inspired me to do this.

It was a long wait of 3 1/2 months to get my Ecosport delivered and in the mean time I was looking for accessories to buy for the car. It was at this point of time I came to know about the 3M nomad mats. When I enquired at the nearest 3M store they quoted more than Rs. 6000 for the Ecosport and it was definitely beyond my budget for floor mats. Then I came across Dinu's thread and planned to do the same for my Ecosport.

The Materials Required:

Noodle mats:

The options that were available in Chennai were 1) Durasoft noodle mats (Rs. 100/sq.ft)and 2) Softurf noodle mats (Rs. 60/sq.ft). Since the Durasoft one is known to have more life and is thicker than the softurf decided to go for it. The mats are available in different colours (Black, Grey, Maroon, Red, Green, Blue) but what I chose was black.

I bought it from Jay Bharathi enterprises in GP Road. It is located as you enter the road just opposite to the clock tower.

Measured the floor under each seat of the Ecosport separately. So it totalled to 16 square feet in total. So it cost me Rs. 1600 (Rs.100/sq.ft * 16sq.ft)

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-floor-mat.jpg

Blade:

Bought the blade to cut the mat from the nearby hardware store for Rs.10/-

Newpaper, Scissors & sketch pen:

The newspaper is first used to get the shape of the floor exactly. The Scissors is used to cut the newspaper in the required shape and the sketch pen to trace the lines in the mats if required.

The Process:

Using the newspaper the shape of the floor under each seat was traced and the newspaper was cut in that shape. While tracing the shape, the upper side of the paper and the bottom side of the papaer should be marked with the sketch appropriately. Once that was done, the the paper was kept above the bottom side of the mat and arranged as in the image. Note: Since the paper is kept at the bottom side of the mat, it should be kept in the other side as well. Meaning while the paper is kept over the bottom side of the mat the bottom side of the newspaper should be facing you.

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-013-floor-mat1.jpg

Cut the mat as per shape of the newspaper.

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-013-floor-mat1a.jpg

Cut all the mats and your work is 90% done. Then place the mats in the car and do the fine tunings by triming the sides if required by the scissors.

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-013-floor-mat1b.jpg

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-013-floor-mat2.jpg

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-013-floor-mat3.jpg

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-013-floor-mat3a.jpg

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-013-floor-mat3b.jpg

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-013-floor-mat3c.jpg

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-013-floor-mat3d.jpg

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-013-floor-mat3da.jpg

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-013-floor-mat4.jpg

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-013-floor-mat5.jpg

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-013-floor-mat5a.jpg

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-013-floor-mat5b.jpg

And thats it, you are done with the floor mats for Rs.1600/-

For the boot, since I dont want to go for a heavy mat, I have chosen a carpet type mat that costs Rs. 12 / sqft. I will be posting the pics for the boot mats soon as I am yet to cut it into shape. Also a review on my ride will be posted shortly.

Last edited by Jude300 : 11th November 2013 at 16:52.
Jude300 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 13:53   #79
BHPian

Re: DIY - 3M Nomad type noodle mats for Ford Ecosport

Very well done indeed. I just did the same thing in my Punto but I used 3M Nomad mats instead.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 14:16   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Very well done. I have one suggestion though. I see you have left a small gap below the accelerator. I did the same and to my horror the accelerator got stuck couple of times. I used a harder version of these noodle mats. Mine had a bigger gap and thanks to constant usage, the mats kept shifting it's position and finally at one particular position, the accelerator finds itself stuck. So I would suggest you to cover this portion as well. For reference, here's what I use.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-20131012_114731.jpg  

Old 12th November 2013, 14:28   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post
And thats it, you are done with the floor mats for Rs.1600/-

For the boot, since I dont want to go for a heavy mat, I have chosen a carpet type mat that costs Rs. 12 / sqft. I will be posting the pics for the boot mats soon as I am yet to cut it into shape. Also a review on my ride will be posted shortly.
Good job and very well documented. The fit and finish has come out very well.

I did a similar thing for my Chevy Spark. Bought a roll of red mat and cut them to perfect shape.

Only that for the rear bench, I used one length door to door instead of cutting into three pieces. I've been using it for around two years now.

Except for the driver seat that takes a good beating near the paddles. The rest of the mats are in very good shape. Even for the driver side, apart for color change, it is functional.

For cleaning, can just remove the mats carefully and tap it off side ways on the surface; all the dry dust and mud falls off. Then a mild water wash. Looks neat and clean even after prolonged usage. Dont have to clean after every weekend trip with kids.
HillMan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 13:18   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Very well done. I have one suggestion though. I see you have left a small gap below the accelerator. I did the same and to my horror the accelerator got stuck couple of times. I used a harder version of these noodle mats. Mine had a bigger gap and thanks to constant usage, the mats kept shifting it's position and finally at one particular position, the accelerator finds itself stuck. So I would suggest you to cover this portion as well. For reference, here's what I use.
In fact before cutting the mats, I used the door mat at home (also a noodle mat) to check if I would have this issue as I had read something similar to this earlier. So after checking I decided to leave it this way as the accelerator pedal in the Ecosport has more space between the floor and itself. Had no issues so far but as you have mentioned, if it starts to interfere with the accelarator, I would have to cover that as well. Thanks for pointing that out with the pics.

On a lighter note, may be I have not faced this since I have not floored the accelerator pedal yet. Want to give the car a proper run-in. Will wait till i get to 5000Kms to push the pedal to the floor.

But definitely, this space needs to be carefully handled. Will be posting the same in TAI. Will mention this in that post. Thanks again for the heads-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Good job and very well documented. The fit and finish has come out very well.

I did a similar thing for my Chevy Spark. Bought a roll of red mat and cut them to perfect shape.

Only that for the rear bench, I used one length door to door instead of cutting into three pieces. I've been using it for around two years now.

Except for the driver seat that takes a good beating near the paddles. The rest of the mats are in very good shape. Even for the driver side, apart for color change, it is functional.

For cleaning, can just remove the mats carefully and tap it off side ways on the surface; all the dry dust and mud falls off. Then a mild water wash. Looks neat and clean even after prolonged usage. Dont have to clean after every weekend trip with kids.
Thanks buddy. Its the inputs that I got from this thread that has helped my to get this done. And yes, I m happy that I dont have to pull out the mats often to clean them and that it will go the distance. Even if required, we will just need to change the mat under the the drivers seat may be after a couple of years.
Jude300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 14:52   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
They are very good indeed. Here in cochin the mat costs around 80rs/sqft though. The result is awesome. Better than any mats IMO, considering the cost of it. Works brilliant when there is chance of lot sand getting inside the car. Like in our area the shoes pick up quite a lot of sand and you will end up grinding the sand on the floor mats. Which is annoying and looks really bad. With this all the sand and mud will go inside those curly thing and shoes will be clean as well
@ Visakhr where in Cochin can I get this mat? at Broadway?
Old 28th November 2013, 17:16   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I am confused. Are you saying that the mat somehow lands on top of the A-pedal and then keeps the pedal pressed? I don't see how that could happen, since the material is not that heavy to depress the A-pedal.

But, still, quite scary.

I am looking at cutting off some of the carpet below the C-pedal, since I get a slightly spongy feel when it I press it, but that may be just psychological as well.

Isn't anyone interested in extending these carpets to the vertical parts of the interiors such as the portion just below the rear seats OR the portion just below the gear lever on both driver and passenger sides?
Old 28th November 2013, 17:36   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I am confused. Are you saying that the mat somehow lands on top of the A-pedal and then keeps the pedal pressed? I don't see how that could happen, since the material is not that heavy to depress the A-pedal.
It doesnt land on the A-pedal. The A-pedal gets stuck at the mat edge. The mats that I use is a bit stiff. These gently move forward after constant use and at one point of time the mat edge will be close to the A-pedal. At this position, the A-pedal gets caught in the mat edge.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 18:38   #86
BHPian

Can anyone help me out with these mats as to where I can buy them in Mumbai?
And approx prices there too
Old 28th November 2013, 21:22   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas27587 View Post
Can anyone help me out with these mats as to where I can buy them in Mumbai?
And approx prices there too
I am sure it will be available at your neighboring stores where they sell doormats.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 16:57   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanz View Post
@ Visakhr where in Cochin can I get this mat? at Broadway?
Sorry for the late reply.

Shop's name is Glory and Co. They have two branches. One is in menaka and the second one is near manorama.

Here is the map for the menaka branch.
DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-clipboard01.jpg
vaisakhr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 17:14   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
It could be that the material on the Nomad mats is more durable than these local mats which is why they are charging a premium. Of course, not to mention the ‘3M’ branding as well.
I guess 3M is getting it manufactured locally through contract manufacturing and selling it through their brand which is what most of the international brands do. so the quality might be same as 3M Nomad mats.

Sreekanth
Old 18th February 2014, 23:45   #90
Team-BHP Support

The mats on my car especially those under the front seats were moving back and forth unlike those under the rear seats. And since the mats were placed atop the carpet, I decided to get hold of some Velcro tape from eBay and stapled them to the mats. Now they do not move and the Velcro firmly attaches itself to the carpet thus securing the mats.

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-wp_20140218_19_19_00_pro.jpg

DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-wp_20140218_19_19_11_pro.jpg

The floor hump was previously exposed. Covered it with a small piece of mat lying unused:
DIY - 3M Nomad-Style Floor Mats-wp_20140218_19_33_00_pro.jpg
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks