Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:24   #151
Senior - BHPian

the length of the cable is such that when routed properly it perfectly opens the lids. if you try a short route or you twist it somewhere then the release operation wont be smooth.
also the striker has to be adjusted as per your hatch door setting to ensure proper smooth locking and release.
Old 23rd June 2009, 15:14   #152
BHPian

Hi,

Were you able to open the Striker yourself?
I tried a lot with many different hands and screwdrivers but was unable to open it.

Also I observed that the cable is already pulling the lever almost to its end when I attach the cable to the striker. So I am not sure whether it will work or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
the length of the cable is such that when routed properly it perfectly opens the lids. if you try a short route or you twist it somewhere then the release operation wont be smooth.
also the striker has to be adjusted as per your hatch door setting to ensure proper smooth locking and release.
Old 29th June 2009, 11:40   #153
BHPian

Hey Techno, did you get the ordered parts??
Old 29th June 2009, 11:53   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heman View Post
Hi,

Were you able to open the Striker yourself?
I tried a lot with many different hands and screwdrivers but was unable to open it.

Also I observed that the cable is already pulling the lever almost to its end when I attach the cable to the striker. So I am not sure whether it will work or not.
it was the most difficult part in the DIY. even 2 of my screw drives broke. then i went to a nearby 2 wheeler mechanic, got his screw driver which was a t shaped bar welded to a screw driver. due to it i could get a good torque to turn the screws.

the cable has to be routed properly, so that its just enough to pull the striker. there should be very less play in the cable as the striker has very less travel.
Old 29th June 2009, 12:42   #155
Senior - BHPian

No man, not yet this parts shop is supposed to have received a big shipment on Friday but they haven't been able to sort out all parts due to shortage of people. Lets see if they take more time will have to try other means.
Old 29th June 2009, 21:46   #156
Senior - BHPian

its done!! yupp..my alto gets the remote boot release!!
The toughest part of the DIY is the striker. yupp. Now i'm one among the many who've faced trouble there. I went to a mechanic and got him to fit up the new striker and thereafter i finished up the rest of the job. I didn't have to tear up the carpet around the lever. I opened up carpet completely (driver region i.e).
Old 30th June 2009, 09:44   #157
BHPian

Striker issue

If you have access to a good screw driver striker screws should come easily. You can even hammer the screw lightly if it is very tight to open.
Old 2nd July 2009, 09:53   #158
BHPian

Congrats to all the souls who go to the shopping malls and dont have to roll down the windows on a rainy day to hand out the keys to the security guard before entering the parking lot...

Deserves me right to quote here, "An idea can change your life"
Old 9th July 2009, 00:58   #159
BHPian

I have done it...!!!

Thanks to all of you who help me do this. I was not able to remove the striker on my own but when I gave my car for the 2nd servicing I told them if they can do it. Thanks to them they did it for free.

Now looking forward to some other DIY for my Alto.

Got any idea guys...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
it was the most difficult part in the DIY. even 2 of my screw drives broke. then i went to a nearby 2 wheeler mechanic, got his screw driver which was a t shaped bar welded to a screw driver. due to it i could get a good torque to turn the screws.

the cable has to be routed properly, so that its just enough to pull the striker. there should be very less play in the cable as the striker has very less travel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
its done!! yupp..my alto gets the remote boot release!!
The toughest part of the DIY is the striker. yupp. Now i'm one among the many who've faced trouble there. I went to a mechanic and got him to fit up the new striker and thereafter i finished up the rest of the job. I didn't have to tear up the carpet around the lever. I opened up carpet completely (driver region i.e).
Old 10th July 2009, 14:31   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heman View Post
I have done it...!!!
Congrats..!

Now that you've done it, you'll be eager to show it off next time when you enter a mall's parking..!
Old 10th July 2009, 14:53   #161
Senior - BHPian

Just received all the parts. Giving the car for service tomorrow, so I'll ask them to fit it for me.
Old 10th July 2009, 22:10   #162
BANNED

Just goat the parts for the Boot release as Peter mentioned. Will get it done tomorrow when the car goes in for the first service.

83310M76G50-Lever comp, fuel lid opener Rs.41.98/-
83350M79G20-Cable comp back door opener Rs.87.93/-
82650M79G00-Striker back door latch Rs.31.06/-
Also bought a "S" logo for the hatch Rs.70.41/-
Total Rs.231.36/-
VAT Rs.28.92/-
Total Rs.260.00/-
Old 1st August 2009, 19:45   #163
Senior - BHPian

Alright I got my set too on Friday & got it fit today.

Paid Rs 181 for the parts & 300 for installation as for proper installation as lot of labor is needed, they(Tune Up Plus, Baner) removed seat, carpet & panels to do a neat factory finish job.

Yay no more switching off the car for opening the boot & special thanks to sabret00the for this great
Old 1st August 2009, 23:01   #164
Senior - BHPian

^^ congrats. you will feel satisfied when the security personnel comes to you and asks for keys seeing the alto. then u ask him to go behind and check.
Old 3rd August 2009, 11:26   #165
Senior - BHPian

you bet man, Went to a mall yesterday & the security guy almost raised his hand to get the keys & I told him its open with a smile, he wasn't expecting this

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks