Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2019, 10:00   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Electric Vehicle (EV) Landscape - A Deep Dive

Isn't this like taking one step back? Look at the thousands of crores they spend on trying to clean the air in Cities like Delhi and Bangalore. Citizens deserve to breathe clean air. They should go all out to bring in the EV revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Govt asserts subsidy for EVs only for commercial vehicles, not personal usage.
Old 21st July 2019, 12:44   #437
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Well its just a matter of time, once EV's becomes popular the tax revenue collection from petrol and diesel will go down and then government will be forced to plug in the revenue deficit by increasing the taxes on electricity
This is my fear. However, electricity with multiple tariffs even though it is here, may not be possible here. Also, most domestic connections (1-5kVA or even 10kVA) may not be able to cope. Let us see how they manage.
Old 22nd July 2019, 09:09   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Isn't this like taking one step back? Look at the thousands of crores they spend on trying to clean the air in Cities like Delhi and Bangalore. Citizens deserve to breathe clean air. They should go all out to bring in the EV revolution
This news is not new. FAME II has no subsidy private cars. It has 10,000 crore budget for subsidizing different types of vehicles as shown below. This amount will be used to subsidize 10 lakh 2-wheelers (private), 5 lakh 3-wheelers, 55,000 cars (commercial fleet), ~7,000 buses.

With limited budget, limited vehicles that can be subsidized its a very good decision to limit it to public transport vehicles rather than private cars with low usage.

Private cars will still get benefit of 5% GST vs 29%-50% petrol/diesel cars. In addition up to 1.5 lakh tax exemption on loan interest.
sri_tesla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 21:43   #439
BHPian

Ford showing off their prototype pulling more than a million pounds of cargo

They will also follow it up with statements about how EV Trucks are not feasible, and are meant for the distant future.
Old 23rd July 2019, 22:30   #440
BHPian

I have a very stupid question.
A lot of manufacturers are launching Electric Vehicles.
Do they have a standard charging connection for all manufacturers or is each unique.
If it is standard, then customer can replace the vehicle without replacing the charging connector.

It is a stupid question but thanks in advance for replies.
Old 24th July 2019, 09:26   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
I have a very stupid question.
A lot of manufacturers are launching Electric Vehicles.
Do they have a standard charging connection for all manufacturers or is each unique.
If it is standard, then customer can replace the vehicle without replacing the charging connector.

It is a stupid question but thanks in advance for replies.
The outlet to draw lots of Amperage is what one needs at home. In the US it's called NEMA 14-50. This allows you to draw 50 AMPS. Obviously you need the corresponding fuse in the switchbox.

Cars come with a proprietary cable for this NEMA 14-50 outlet. Think of it as the special outlet you have for your water heater/geezer/boiler with it's own dedicated fuse/circuit breaker.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 09:57   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
The outlet to draw lots of Amperage is what one needs at home. In the US it's called NEMA 14-50. This allows you to draw 50 AMPS. Obviously you need the corresponding fuse in the switchbox.

Cars come with a proprietary cable for this NEMA 14-50 outlet. Think of it as the special outlet you have for your water heater/geezer/boiler with it's own dedicated fuse/circuit breaker.
Thank you for the reply.
Cleared my doubt.
Old 24th July 2019, 10:03   #443
Senior - BHPian

A colleague who already owns four four wheelers and drives them like there is no tomorrow, is on the verge of purchasing a Mahindra e-Verito.

At fourteen lakh rupees on road in my city, and with the daily commute being around 80km, I think it makes no sense.

Another reason for my skepticism is the erratic power supply schedule in the Malnad region: the said colleague resides in a coffee estate 20km from workplace. Though the place is by the side of a state highway, power interruptions are rather too frequent.

She is currently engulfed by the environmental activist mode of thought and hence isn't batting an eyelid before taking out a car loan of close to a million rupees. She believes the (purported) zero operations cost post purchase will more than compensate the heavy initial investment.

I disagree.

Any thoughts?
Old 25th July 2019, 02:26   #444
BHPian

Rivian shows off turning on a dime like a tank. Very impressive. ICE trucks better watch out!
Old 25th July 2019, 10:01   #445
Distinguished - BHPian

Electric, natural gas autos find few takers in Kerala.

Quote:
Even eight months after the decision to issue city permit to 3,000 green autorickshaws, only 11 people have bought electricity and CNG-run autorickshaws.
Quote:
Many do not prefer electric autorickshaws and CNG autos as they fear mechanical issues
Source:
Old 26th July 2019, 01:28   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Looks like Ford's investment in Rivian is already paying dividends

But threads like this with their "but... but..." excuses make me go smh.

Often times the most difficult obstacle we face is not the tech, but our minds
im_srini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2019, 14:52   #447
BANNED

Quote:

I think there are two or three connectors going round. I hop no more emerge. You need two separate connectors to cater for AC and DC. I think right now two are for AC and one DC.
Old 26th July 2019, 23:07   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think there are two or three connectors going round. I hop no more emerge. You need two separate connectors to cater for AC and DC. I think right now two are for AC and one DC.
I am not familiar with what is being promoted in India on the utility side (for homes). For the US, there are many NEMA connectors. All houses have NEMA 14-30 for clothes dryer. This can draw 30A. For RVs, electric cooking range have always been using NEMA 14-50. This can draw 50A. This is the outlet being used by EVs these days. EVs come with a cable for such an outlet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector#NEMA_14

At the other end of this cable where the connector connects to the EV - it is rather chaotic with manufacturers forming alliances, promoting proprietary tech, and what not. ChadeMo, Tesla, CCS being the popular ones. I think you were talking about this. I agree, too many of such connectors is not good. Users will end up carrying adapters for each vendor.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 26th July 2019 at 23:11.
Old 26th July 2019, 23:38   #449
BHPian

Quote:

They will also follow it up with statements about how EV Trucks are not feasible, and are meant for the distant future.
I guess, I was easily impressed by the spectacle. After all this is something any truck can do.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car..._j88O9rWUuILNw

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th July 2019 at 12:46. Reason: video link removed
Old 27th July 2019, 12:20   #450
BHPian

Noida to setup charging stations. Snapshot of the news article attached.

Charging will cost 10/- a unit and a full charge would cost around 170/- and take 90 minutes. I am thinking of the future, given the population and therefore number of cars, how will logistics work? And, since it’s mostly flats in Noida and nearby, even housing societies will have to install chargers otherwise would be difficult to cater to the sheer volume.
Attached Thumbnails
The Electric Vehicle (EV) Landscape - A Deep Dive-1bc758562fd040ea95fb1ef926873580.jpeg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks