Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite internet speed test portal?
Fast.com by Netflix 38 33.33%
Cloudflare speed test 1 0.88%
DSLReports 1 0.88%
Speedtest by Ookla 64 56.14%
Testmy.net 1 0.88%
OpenSpeedTest 3 2.63%
Others 2 1.75%
I don't believe in speed tests 4 3.51%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2015, 14:26   #571
Team-BHP Support

Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
So FINALLY Airtel read the writing on the wall eh? All these years, they closed their eyes to the idea that it is possible to provide higher speeds than their blazing 2 mbps lines.
The fibernet plans are priced according to competition. In NCR area, due to low competition, similar plans cost 2500+
This is why there should not exist monopolies!
Old 15th April 2015, 14:51   #572
BHPian

Finally feel liberated from Airtel (for the lack of better plans)

Joined the ACT Band Wagon and have been happy with them

How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?-screenshot_20150415144455.png

The speeds are similar through the day

Thanks to Airtel I was forced to find an alternative
Old 18th April 2015, 14:39   #573
BHPian

Private internet in a rural area

We have our manufacturing unit in Tembhurni MIDC in Solapur district. It is 3 km off the Pune - Solapur Highway towards Kurduwadi from Tembhurni village. Basically a distant location from the main village where even the BSNL people take weeks to repair a broken telephone wire. The MIDC is still a small one having 8-10 SMEs and one Jindal fittings plant under commissioning. Our registered office is in Thane (Mumbai) making us very dependent on the internet service for our daily activities which involves continuous synchronisation of dropbox and google docs. There are no private internet service providers in and around this area, just BSNL. Idea (IIN educated village ) is having a gala time selling their dongles in the village but MIDC has only 2G making it of no use to sync heavy back up files. Only emails can be carried out that too for just one computer.

We are exploring options to avail internet service from a private ISP offering good speeds of say 2 Mbps. With limited knowledge and little reading on the internet I have found out that internet can be provided through either the telephone line, through a Data cable setup or through the local cable operator who already has a cable setup in place (Eg. Hathway in Mumbai).

Can any one of you educate me in the options I should explore to avail a private internet service in the MIDC? Neighbouring factory owners will be happy to join in once a service is available. I tried speaking to Tikona, Dvois Internet, You broadband. All three have sent a 'we-regret' reply. As of now I am optimistic that I could persuade the local cable operator to invest in starting an internet service.

Thanks!

Jayesh
Old 18th April 2015, 16:10   #574
BHPian

Consider contacting Reliance guys. Make a list of people who would like to avail internet services and the speeds they want to subscribe for. This will let an operator decide if it is 'worth the initial setup cost'.

There is another option of Vsat based Internet (via Satellite) , but it is a bit steep on price with notable latency. Operators like HCL etc are in this space.
Old 18th April 2015, 17:03   #575
BHPian

Thanks latentpotential. This is a good way to help the service provider calculate worthiness to provide service. Any estimate on the costs incurred for Vsat based internet? A Vodafone guy gave an estimate of Rs 120,000 annually for leased line of 1 Mbps. Made no sense for a small set up of 6 computers. We find a budget of 2-3k/month appropriate for internet service.
Old 18th April 2015, 18:51   #576
BHPian

Re: Private internet in a rural area

Thanks latentpotential. Is reliance into investing in new places or some other reason that you mention them? Reliance currently has zero telephone network in MIDC, one can't even make a call using a reliance phone from here. I will contact neighbouring units and make a list to invite a private service provider, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 18th April 2015, 19:21   #577
BHPian

Every provider looks at getting a captive audience of users as well as a decent revenue. If you and neighbours commit it to a prospective one, they can consider putting up a large connection, with enough business prospects, fiber is also not unlikely.

In your case as you are 3km off the expected main connections, that defines the cost to be incurred by them, hence the carrot of captive audience.

Reliance was one example, you should try Tata as well as go to the circle head of BSNL and similarly ask each for a connection.
Old 18th April 2015, 19:30   #578
BHPian

I understand. Based on the experience in dealing with government offered services in rural areas we expect no long term support from BSNL guys. Have sent in an enquiry to Tata, no reply yet. Will keep on hunting.
Old 18th April 2015, 20:02   #579
Team-BHP Support

I doubt Reliance or any other private operator will be willing to invest given the low number of connections in vicinity .

Try this - I have seen many such connection in far areas in Kashmir valley couple of Years back .

http://www.hughesnetbroadband.in/
Old 20th April 2015, 13:32   #580
BHPian

Hughes, HCL are Vsat providers. You will see connectivity provided by them at far flung and rural areas quite often. The issue is two fold with these: Price and latency.
Old 20th April 2015, 17:19   #581
Senior - BHPian

Saw a lot of newspaper reports that TRAI has recommended upgrade of broadband speed from a 10th class level of 512 kbps at present to 3rd class levels of 2 mbps by 2015 (beginning or end???). Well that is not the case at all as anyone reading TRAI's reco will find out. There is a mention of NTP 2012 which specified 2 mbps at end-2015 but no such formal recommendation by TRAI. This NTP 2012 was known long time back but so far there is no clarity and even TRAI's recommendations do not specify a minimum broadband speed.
Old 20th April 2015, 17:40   #582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay3sh View Post
We have our manufacturing unit in Tembhurni MIDC in Solapur district. It is 3 km off the Pune - Solapur Highway towards Kurduwadi from Tembhurni village. Basically a distant location from the main village where even the BSNL people take weeks to repair a broken telephone wire.
How far is this place from village?

If distance is less than 20 KM, then :

1. Two WiFi towers (http://www.ehow.com/info_12212820_wifi-towers-work.html)
2. One tower near to a place (presumably village) that has more stable BSNL connection

Can be an option.
Old 22nd April 2015, 16:59   #583
BHPian

Thanks NetfreakBombay for pointing this out. I am assuming the set up costs will be high, any idea? Also came across a technology called WiMAX in the link you gave, any reviews on this?
Old 27th April 2015, 19:12   #584
Senior - BHPian

BSNL recently introduced a scheme whereby BSNL landline holders have unlimited free calls to landlines and mobiles on any network between 9PM and 7AM from May 1st.

Close on the heels of this announcement, Airtel has launched its own Unlimited Calls scheme.

Broadband customers of Airtel can now avail unlimited local calls to both Landlines and Mobiles round the clock for Rs. 49/month. And similar STD + Local calls at Rs. 99/month.

If only they'd extend this to their mobile customers as well! :P

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/airtel-la...542308-11.html
Old 28th April 2015, 09:12   #585
BHPian

Anyone has experience with Delta/BBNL broadband in Bangalore?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks