Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2015, 09:53   #466
BANNED

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
A tip: If you are installing Win 10, turn off Internet. Installation ask less questions and is faster.
You have answered my query. I will now risk Win10 SL again, and not bother about updates at that time. My net is on choke till mid September Now when I go back then:

Considering mine is a nearly fresh Install, should I still try and revert to a totally fresh install. I do know I will have to reinstall my printers. If I revert to a fresh install, then what about the drivers.

I have downloaded two things- EaseUS Partition Manager (it is a freebie). It is nearly as good as the old Partition Magic, and AOMEI OneKeyRecovery. Have installed the former and will do so for the latter very soon.
Old 12th September 2015, 15:38   #467
BANNED

Doing a clean install requires all drivers to be available. I was thinking of another option. BAckup the working partitions, then use a partition manager (EasyUS is a good freebie), remove the work partitions, and then re-partition (adjusting if required), before copying from the backup. This should get you 75% of the way there. This will also allow to create free space for the AOMEI OneKeyRecovery on Lenovo systems.
Old 16th September 2015, 15:52   #468
BANNED

Did a Win10 reinstall. I used the Disk Image of Win10SL-64bit and the total time was only one and a half hours. My 2Mbps connection came back on stream only yesterday morning. I then installed AOMEI OneKey recovery and allowed it to take some space (~45GB) on the Hard Disc to make a boot partition. Very nifty operation. You can do an <F11> during bootup to go to the recovery, and the option shows up before dropping into Win10. I then used EasyUS to move partitions around. Again very handy. I have also installed my Samsung SCX3400 drivers for both scan and print. In fact a friend has an HP Multifunction and the scanner is not installable! He has ttied four times with no luck.
Old 18th September 2015, 16:20   #469
BHPian

Yesterday, I upgraded PC from Win 7 to 10. Post upgrade I found that Internet connection sharing (ICS) is not working on Windows 10. It was perfect in Windows 7 & I was able to share my Internet connection using a router through ICS.

Since yesterday, I'm trying various Internet resources for solution and it looks like a common problem to many users. Certainly this is a feature which was not properly tested before release of Windows 10.

Will try for one more day for solution and will decide to rollback to Windows 7.

Windows 10 is a bad product release experience for me.
Old 19th September 2015, 11:37   #470
BANNED

Corel 13 x3 is not compatible with Win10. Any workarounds, or freebies which are similar.
Old 19th September 2015, 15:40   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Corel 13 x3 is not compatible with Win10. Any workarounds, or freebies which are similar.
Xara LX, Linkscape are few open source free programs. Interface of Xara is similar to Corel but available only on Linux. Linkscape seems to be available for Windows as well.
Old 19th September 2015, 16:22   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Coreldraw 12 works fine with Win 10 x64.
Old 30th September 2015, 21:45   #473
BHPian

Anybody having issues & found solutions for HDMI on Win 10 64 Bit? I had recently upgraded from Win 7 Home Premium to Win 10 Basic (Free upgrade). I did not get to check this as there was no error.

Today When I tried connecting to the TV, there was no image/sound. Dell Site says that the drivers are all latest.(used the dell detect)

There was a tool called drivertool kit (http://www.drivertoolkit.com). This utility identified over 34 drivers which needs to be updated.

My questions is where can I get the drivers for my system (dell xps laptop) as the drivertool kit has identified some updates but not available on official dell site.

Any pointers to help restore HDMI would be helpful. Also anyone previously used this drivertool kit? Is it worth spending money on this (costs about 30 $)

Last edited by kutoos : 30th September 2015 at 21:46. Reason: Clarity in question
Old 1st October 2015, 09:44   #474
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Xara LX, Linkscape are few open source free programs. Interface of Xara is similar to Corel but available only on Linux. Linkscape seems to be available for Windows as well.
Thanks. Downloading Inkscap (not Linkscape!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Coreldraw 12 works fine with Win 10 x64.
Very interesting. I do not have access to Coreldraw12.
Old 1st October 2015, 10:02   #475
Senior - BHPian

Upgraded to Win 10 yesterday from 8.1. Upgrade was smooth actually, with no inputs required. Was a little worried about apps but all my settings and apps work fine with no need for re-installation. Appreciable that it was so smooth.
Old 1st October 2015, 13:55   #476
Team-BHP Support

My X1- Carbon - 3rd Generation is acting , Size of Pointer reduces on its own after few minutes of switching on , when I reset settings it comes back to default size before going back to small size . Have done everything - reinstalled Synaptics Thinkpad UltraNav couple of times besides checking malware / virus . Any suggestions - Could not find anything on google as well
Old 1st October 2015, 17:45   #477
BHPian

Last evening I decided to upgrade my laptop. So I upgraded the Windows 10 home to 10 Pro ensured everything was activated and working fine. I then prepared a USB stick with Windows 10 Pro install files. Having read all over the internet that once the windows is activated, we could proceed with a clean install I decided to upgrade and change the raid config of the Boot drive from Raid 0 to Raid Recovery using a new 500 M.2 SSD. The installation went smooth, and when it asked for a key, I skipped it to complete the installation, hoping it would get activated based on the earlier key. Not sure how it checks if its the same HW or not, I thought it was based on the MB but not sure. At the end of the install, it just would not activate the new installation.

Since MS does not have a 24x7 support in India (I believe they have this in the US), I called MS support this morning, and hoped someone technical would help. I believe they have their own call center guys who go with their checklists and solutions. It was comical in the beginning, and soon started testing my patience. First it was a question of getting the right dept, and after 4 - 5 transfers finally reached the Home Users support dept. Each time I had explained to them, right from buying the laptop with Windows 8.1 Home OEM edition - Upgrade to Windows 10 Home - successful Activation - Upgrade to 10 Pro - successful activation - new disk - Clean install - unsuccessful activation. Finally the customer support executive from the home users support wanted my product ID, which he checked and promptly came back stating my Windows installation was not Genuine. Then I had to start all over again and tell him that the previous install on the old disk was activated and if required I could send him the order confirmation sent while purchasing 10 pro. He put me on hold to check with his "resources" and now he came back saying that the version is wrong since from Home edition there is no way to upgrade to Pro edition. So I explained the process on how the pro edition was purchased and how its activated, and I can prove it by installing my previous boot drive, and again he would go and check with his resources and come back with the same story that Home cannot be upgraded to pro. After a few iterations, though I felt really sorry for these guys, I really lost my patience and asked him to put me to somebody knowledgeable on the technical aspects. This time he came back after checking with his resources, and wanted me to try and do a reset from the recovery option, while he was transferring it to another technical support executive.

Thankfully the reset worked, and the person to whom he transferred did know what he was talking about. He solved my office 2016 activation problem in less than 10mins. He did some basic check, and then connected remotely to check a few things. After which he activated it using the telephone support option instead of online activation. All in all it took more than 1hour what should have been completed in 20-30 mins. Did not expect such poor performance from MS Support

On a different note, felt how it was to be at the receiving end of being a customer, and how our customer would have felt talking to my team when we were in application support!!

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 1st October 2015 at 17:54.
Old 1st October 2015, 18:55   #478
Distinguished - BHPian

I upgraded my laptop, Lenovo Flex2 14 from Win8.1 to Windows10 on 16th September. It used to update a few files daily. Then from 24th onwards, it did not shut down. Whenever I was shutting it down or trying to hibernate, it would restart. I tried a lot but being a computer lizard , I finally gave up and reverted to Win8.1. Sadly, that godforsaken restart issue still persists. Now every time, I have to use the power button to switch it off. Computer wizards, please help.
Old 1st October 2015, 20:38   #479
BHPian

Turn off hibernate completely if you love your hard disk and data. Thats the first thing I do on my computers.

1. Open command prompt as admin.
2. Run this command : powercfg /h off

It will not only disable the hibernate, but will also remove that huge hibernate dump file. Just get rid of it. I have seen many systems failing or losing precious data due to this silly hibernate thing.
Old 6th October 2015, 07:15   #480
BANNED

Laptop hanging. I have recently noticed that my Win10 Laptop is hanging up. I suspect some cache (Chrome!) to be the culprit. I am regularly running CCleaner and AML Registry Cleaner.

Also, sometimes the desktop is missing at boot up!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks