Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2008, 11:42   #301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
But what about people like me who paid 4000/-Rs in feb/march for STB+Installation+6 month free subs?
Tata Sky had promised all these channels at the time of purchase.

Even if they had to make separate package for sports channels,they should now give me more than 6months free. What say??

BTW i tried calling their helpline numbers but just could not get through.Now i believe that i should not have gone for tata sky and waited for competition to hot up 1st.
I have taken the annual pack as well and am not paying anything extra for the Sports Package. I believe they sent everyone a message regarding this.
Old 5th June 2008, 11:54   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
I have taken the annual pack as well and am not paying anything extra for the Sports Package. I believe they sent everyone a message regarding this.
Even i have the anual package, but still sports, BBC etc are off.. Is there some way to take up this issue with Tata Sky. I have tried cont for 2 days to cotact help line no luck. Can Consumer court be of any help here?
Old 5th June 2008, 11:59   #303
BHPian

Once my annual subscription with Tata sky is over, i will look at switching over to some other service provider. Any ways Dishtv set top box is free
some time back TRAI was talking about making it mandatory for DTH providers not to lock the set top box.. If this happens it will free the market and open up for competition.
Old 5th June 2008, 12:01   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Today morning I saw an advertisement from ESPN/Star Cricket/Star Sports saying that they have not hiked any charges, but Tata Sky has gone ahead with separate bundle scheme.
They will be taking legal action against Tata Sky.
Moreover Tata Sky users will miss out French Open etc,
However Cable TV and Dish TV networks will have these channels coming.
I don't think there's a valid case against Tata sky from ESPN/Star side. After all cost to customer is same, whether it was Rs.300 or the revised 260+40. In fact it's beneficial for atleast some customers who are not avid sports viewers.
The problem is that Ten Sports has been excluded from this package. Hence, if anybody is to sue tata sky for this, it should be ten sports.
Old 5th June 2008, 15:03   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
I don't think there's a valid case against Tata sky from ESPN/Star side. After all cost to customer is same, whether it was Rs.300 or the revised 260+40. In fact it's beneficial for atleast some customers who are not avid sports viewers.
The problem is that Ten Sports has been excluded from this package. Hence, if anybody is to sue tata sky for this, it should be ten sports.
This is what happens in our country! If you look at it, then it should be Ten Sports who should take TataSky to court because in a sense, TataSky has made TenSports get a raw deal. ESPN & Star Sports have been added to a different package at 40 rupees and subscribers who don't watch these sports channels at all will not be forced to pay for them. ESPN Star does not want this and was happy when they were a part of the basic package so that they would still get money from the subscribers whether they watched it or not.

Also, in the case of TenSports, it is a part of the Zee Group. Ten Sports is offering itself to TataSky at 15 rs. per subscriber and that is what TataSky is demanding.

Even I feel cheated as a subscriber for TataSky but as far as ESPN & Star Sports are concerned, I don't find it un-reasonable. I have subscribed to it and am still paying 300 rupees per month for all the channels I watch.

Am I missing TenSports. Well yes, but am I willing to pay 15 rupees for it? I don't think so.

Now I am waiting for BigTV to launch. Once it does, I will switch over. I know that in the end, its the subscrber who looses and I would not switch to BigTV in anticipation of a fair deal. I would do so for 2 reasons:
1. Its on MPEG4 which by default enables me to get a better picture quality.
2. Its the only operator which has HD capability in place and will launch with a decent PVR (Personal Video Recorder).

Also, I am looking for the abilty to use a DreamBox. So if anyone reading this has any idea about its availabilty in India. Please pm me and send me the details.

Dream-Multimedia-Tv GmbH

I know it works in India and I am willing to go for it.
Old 5th June 2008, 15:37   #306
Senior - BHPian

rsjaurr: same issues am facing with tata sky..

lately have noticed that one by one channel are made as paid channel...i tried calling them and thought will take a package but was not able to reach them...

I think i will switch over to dish tv soon, how is it?

Tata.. Relaince are turning out to be not to be trusted brands (for ex Wimax..)
Old 5th June 2008, 18:19   #307
BHPian

In Chennai, Sun Direct DTH has been released recently, but they don't provide all the regional channels. I already have Tata Sky and if I move to Sun DTH the cost spent to setop box is a waste.

Also the Sun Direct package is almost same as the cable. They give the STB for 1500 and 1 year free subscription which comes 125 per month. This is almost the same amount spent for cable (Rs 100 per month). This is like the STB is free for you. I thought of going for this for my second TV and remove the cable connection as we get clear picture & sound with other features.
Old 6th June 2008, 11:01   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
rsjaurr: same issues am facing with tata sky..

lately have noticed that one by one channel are made as paid channel...i tried calling them and thought will take a package but was not able to reach them...

I think i will switch over to dish tv soon, how is it?

Tata.. Relaince are turning out to be not to be trusted brands (for ex Wimax..)
I tried their helpline no. many times in the last few days but unable to reach them.
This is 3d time i the last few months that they have forced us to pay more when they were supposed to show us all these channels atleast for 6 months.Earlier i bought both neo sports package and life style package but now i am not going to buy sports package even if i have to miss Euro08.

Today evening i will file the complaint against tata sky here and i urge all who are in same boat as me to do the same.Believe me it really works though it may takes few weeks.
Old 6th June 2008, 11:06   #309
Senior - BHPian

Latest update is that Espn-Star are planning to sue Tata sky for some rights violation. Read it on the times today
Old 6th June 2008, 11:06   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today evening i will file the complaint against tata sky here and i urge all who are in same boat as me to do the same.Believe me it really works though it may takes few weeks.
Thanks rsjaurr for that link, I too will file a complaint against Tata-Sky!
Old 6th June 2008, 11:27   #311
BANNED

I'm very happy with the service provided by Tata Sky at Chennai. I've faced only one issue - a delay of 2 days when I asked them to shift the installation within the house.

I got the initial package and installation etc. at a discount in Jan 2007. The discount was given to all Tata group employees (I was one then).

The rest of India may not appreciate this but Tata Sky and Dish TV came as a boon to Chennai residents who were subjected to that rip-off called CAS (and being at the mercy of the Sun Network). To those who have been through the initial CAS days, a normal channel being converted to pay is nothing. Imagine most channels going pay the next day when CAS was introduced.
Old 6th June 2008, 12:11   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
After all cost to customer is same, whether it was Rs.300 or the revised 260+40. In fact it's beneficial for atleast some customers who are not avid sports viewers.
The problem is that Ten Sports has been excluded from this package.
Besides paying for Ten Sports, we are now subjected to pay for BBC channels too!! Tata-Sky is literally taking us for a ride....

And the website! Lesser said the better...they dont even have individual package pricing listed!
Old 6th June 2008, 13:47   #313
BHPian

Quote:
I tried their helpline no. many times in the last few days but unable to reach them.
This is 3d time i the last few months that they have forced us to pay more when they were supposed to show us all these channels atleast for 6 months.Earlier i bought both neo sports package and life style package but now i am not going to buy sports package even if i have to miss Euro08.

Well, I had taken the 6months free pack in Jan and so I was angry too when suddenly all the sports channels & BBC went off air.
I first tried getting to order the package online but it only flashed a message saying pay dues when actually there is nil. I then called cust. care but could never get through after nearly 15 attempts from 10:30 morning upto 13:00.
Evening my bro called them around 20:00 & after 10 mins. wait could speak to a customer care executive. He said since I was part of the 6 months free package, all packages available earlier would be available now till the free period is done. So within 2 mins everything was back up.

Last edited by theexister : 6th June 2008 at 13:49.
Old 6th June 2008, 16:21   #314
Senior - BHPian

I have filed a complaint against tata sky,

Next is "reliance" Wimax....grrr have stopped trusting these 2 brands now...
Old 6th June 2008, 20:41   #315
Distinguished - BHPian

this is the problem with subscription based services. you are at the mercy of the service providers. unfortunately there is no easy solution for this except maybe "pay as you watch" which will bill you real time based on the channel you watch. just like phone usage. i am sure that day is not far.. more competition will eventually get us there..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks