Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2022, 11:34   #3766
BHPian

Re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Hi All,

I am looking to set up a desktop computer for my 12 year old son, primarily for studying and projects. However, gaming cannot be ruled out with kids. I am not much into computer configurations and only understand the basics. I did search a few online but ended up confused.

Budget 40k-50k. I don't mind spending less if that serves the purpose.

Can anyone suggest a good All-in-one desktop that will be good for such usage for next 3-5 years at least? The hardware must be having at least that much future proofing.

Any better alternates than "all in one PCs" are also welcome.

Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 13:53   #3767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
Since dedicated GPU's are still way too much expensive, a CPU with integrated graphics is better choice. Later you can add a dedicated GPU if you feel the need of it.

AMD Ryzen 5600G based desktop coupled with B550 will be a decent build for your needs within your budget.

Recently launched 12th gen Intels can also be considered but real advantage of them will be if you can get the DDR5 RAM which is very expensive and not easily available. You can also wait for the next gen AMD Ryzens which are supposed to be more powerful than current gen Ryzens but the overall build will be expensive with them as well with the launch of first iteration.
tbppjpr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 16:03   #3768
BHPian

Ryzen 5 5600G can be decent option without the dedicated GPU at the moment.

CPU:
Ryzen 5 5600G - 24k

Motherboards
B550M - around 10k
(stick to MSI/ ASUS/ Gigabyte for motherboard, avoid others)

However, A520M is better option if overclocking is not a requirement.
A520M - 6k

B450 series is also compatible at a lesser price; but might need BIOS update which the shop can do for you. You can also save another 1k with ATX boards instead of MATX, but that is not always true.

RAM:
Ryzen scales better with RAM frequency, so try for 3000MHz at least.
8GB DDR4 x2 - 6k

PSU:
Aim for a 550W PSU at least, from reliable brands like Corsair/ Cooler Master. Avoid Gigabyte. No need to spend on modular
550W - 3.5k

Case:
Standard ATX - 3k

SSD - 240GB - 2.5k

Total: 45-49k

Intel is not good as far as integrated GPU is concerned, but note that the below option with a GTX 1650, even at current prices, can give much better gaming performance than above:

Intel i3 10105F - 7.5k
or i5 11400F - 13.5k
H510M motherboard - 6k
GTX 1650 - 25k

so effectively it comes to 5-11k more than the Ryzen G option.

For next 3-5 years, Intel 10/11th gen should be more than enough; 12th gen with DDR5 is expensive now and will take a year to stabilize, by when AMD will also have DDR5 options. So stick to DDR4 for up to another year at least. Intel 12th gen is also available with DDR4 motherboards, but the CPUs are not cost-effective since they are new.
mayukh42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 16:46   #3769
BHPian

Thanks @tbppjpr, @mayukh42 for your quick suggestions.

However, as I said I am not much into computer configurations and not really looking for a custom build. I am looking for some thing to pick off the shelf - an All in one desktop from brands like Lenovo, HP, Dell. There are many out there but I really do not understand the nitty gritty.

So, please advise All-in-one desktop that will be good for such usage for next 3-5 years at least?

Many thanks again!!
Old 7th January 2022, 18:38   #3770
BHPian

Quote:
So, please advise All-in-one desktop that will be good for such usage for next 3-5 years at least?
Better to look for some decent laptop instead of those mediocre AIOs. Most of the parts in those are just not upgrade friendly, even the display panels are garbage quality most of the times.

About the branded desktop towers, go for them only if you are looking for some heavy duty workstation in multiple numbers or looking for some gaming rig which usually cost in 6 digits. Even then you will be left with a desktop tower where adding or replacing new parts may not be as smoother experience as it is with a custom desktop tower.

With a custom desktop tower you can keep your budget in check while having plenty of room left for the future upgrades. All you need is to find a reputed custom desktop PC seller in your area, he will take care of all the hassles of assembling various parts.

Get quotations from few of the PC assemblers and share their configs here, members here then can add their suggestions if the configuration is suitable for you or any change is required.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 7th January 2022 at 18:46.
tbppjpr is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 22:40   #3771
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for some thing to pick off the shelf - an All in one desktop from brands like Lenovo, HP, Dell. There are many out there but I really do not understand the nitty gritty.

In an earlier post you mentioned possibility of gaming, by your 12 year old son. He would definitely want to play graphic intensive ones. So all in one desktop may not suffice for that kind of usage. For studies it will definitely suffice.

If you want to keep provision for gaming, buy a desktop having decent CPU with integrated graphics, motherboard having at least one spare Pcie slot for future upgrade.

I still have a 12 year old Hp desktop, still running, albeit sluggish. So in my experience Hp is durable.
Guite is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 00:57   #3772
Distinguished - BHPian

If portability is required, then obviously, a laptop is a must. Otherwise, I'd really advise against locking oneself into any sort of all-in-one machine.

After ten years, my computer received a heart-lung transplant last year: new motherboard, processor, memory. Everything else: cabinet, power supply, fans, hard disks, remained the same, although it had had minor replacements and fixes over that time. I had 2.6TB hdd storage, and added a 500GB SSD; now I replaced the oldest and failing 600GB hdd with a 4TB hdd because my photos file system was close to full.

Have a computer that is repairable and can grow with you. It can grow with your son's interest in the hardware too, if he develops one.

This does not exclude brand names, so long as the box is standard and takes the usual-format components. There was a time when I had a "Dell" machine that ended up with nothing made by Dell inside the box. So if you feel comfortable with a brand, you can do that. I have no idea how price/quality compares with home or custom built, in today's market --- but other people here will have.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 20:50   #3773
BHPian

Thanks Thad, Guite, tbppjpr!! Quite insightful comments and advise and definitely helping to understand the whole desktop scene a bit better now. That's why I rely on tbhp for anything under the sun.

Have dropped the idea of an AIO as my in store visit did not find these appealing enough. In discussion with an assembler now who is quite reputed. Will share what I get from him or others.

Portability isn't really needed, have couple of more laptops so this one is gonna stay home.

Large screen, better core hardware without having to pay the premium for a laptop compactness - that is what is on my mind.

Cheers!!
Rodie09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 23:46   #3774
BHPian

Quote:
In discussion with an assembler now who is quite reputed. Will share what I get from him or others.

Large screen, better core hardware without having to pay the premium for a laptop compactness - that is what is on my mind.
I think going for assembled is the right decision for your need. After discarding AIO, even if you had considered tower PCs from brands like Hp, Dell, etc, future upgrade options will be limited. Most use non-standard cabinet, so opgrade options on motherboard, PSU, graphic card, etc. will be limited.

You can always post here, for members' opinion, the configuration recommended by your assembler. Ask him to provide you list of brand and model number of each component, with total quote for your approval.
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 06:43   #3775
BHPian

I would suggest to assemble it yourself if you can or learn about it because it is not difficult. This way you can repair/replace parts in the future yourself.
Old 9th January 2022, 07:42   #3776
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Can anyone suggest a good All-in-one desktop that will be good for such usage for next 3-5 years at least? The hardware must be having at least that much future proofing.

Thanks
Let me make this easier for you to decide.

Both above posts suggesting a ryzen/intel based system with or without the GPU are very good suggestions.

I would advise you to get them assembled at an experienced pc shop rather than hunt for a branded system.

Both of those options will be future proof. To give you an example: I assembled my PC in 2016 and I'm an avid gamer. I used an i5 6400 cpu coupled with nvidia gtx 1060 gpu. By today's standards these two are nothing to write home about, but I still game, and play many games unhindered, albeit with lower settings in some latest games. For all my other work, it performs flawlessly still, and I find myself going back to the pc table for most of my work rather than turn to my laptops.

You can do what I did: I bought the system without the gpu at first. After using it for 6-8 months I just added the gpu. The gpu will be one of the most expensive components in your pc. You can skip it altogether and save a good chunk of cash.

But, when you buy a system without a dedicated gpu, you have to use a CPU that has integrated graphics capability.
Intel chips have integrated graphics, but not all the amd ones. The G series CPUs from amd, like the 5600G suggested above come with an integrated gpu.

The all in ones being sold in the market currently are good too. The good ones are priced around 90k-1 lac though. The ones in the range of 40-50k are grossly underpowered. Of course their prices are relatively higher because you just have to plug and play. There's no searching for a monitor /keyboard /mouse, so you offset that cost by buying an all in one.

They are however, not upgradeable in the future. For this reason, I won't ever buy one.

An assembled pc will evolve with time, and be lighter on your wallet in the long run. I kind of upgraded my existing pc just by buying a few ssds off the shelf and sticking them in. I can upgrade the cpu in the future if I feel mine isn't cutting it anymore. I don't need to shell out money for an entirely new system if the need to upgrade arises.

Hope this helps. Happy hunting!!
Vitruvius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 11:02   #3777
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion an All-in-One is neither here nor there. As a desktop that is not really upgradable and compared to a laptop it is not portable.

I suggest that you get a decent laptop in the 40+K range. It will be portable, need no UPS, need no dedicated desk.

I am speaking from experience. In our house we have

1. My Dual XEON desktop -- 10+ years old - 3 monitors.

2. 2 x Apple top of the line Laptops (2.5l+) elder son

3. 1 x high end Apple laptop for my younger son

4. A couple of laptops that are for back up

4. 4 x 24" HD monitors, 1 x 30" 4K monitor

So a desktop is useful if you need workstation type horsepower, other wise a laptop will do, and yes modern ones support multiple monitors - my son uses two on his Apple.

Last edited by Aroy : 9th January 2022 at 11:04.
Old 9th January 2022, 16:26   #3778
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptarchy View Post
I would suggest to assemble it yourself if you can or learn about it because it is not difficult...
No, it is not difficult. It is lego with computer components. All the high voltages are inside the sealed power supply and there is less risk to humans than rewiring a lamp! But there needs to be familiarity with the components, a knowledge of what bits go where, and what sockets match what things. Get that over time, rather than going for a first-timer self-build.

One factor is that, whilst there is little risk to human fingers (and nothing should be actually plugged in anyway during build/upgrade) there is risk to the components. You can zap your CPU, or memory. Another familiarity gained with experience is minimizing static-electricity risk.

I built my own computer generation-one. It was actually my first complete build, but as a hands-on small-business systems manager, I had lots of experience poking around inside PC (and bigger stuff) cases. I did most of the incremental upgrades too. But I let our known maintenance company do the generation-two rebuild for me. Reason one: laziness and a lack of enthusiasm, been there done that. Reason two: if they zap something, it is their problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
In my opinion an All-in-One is neither here nor there. As a desktop that is not really upgradable
A desktop is totally upgradeable . And there is absolutely no reason for laptops except portability. And fashion.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 19:02   #3779
BHPian

Assembling a PC is fairly simple and straight forward these days. However it is not without its own challenges. I did my first self assembly during lockdown of 2020.

The few apprehension and challenges I faced were:
1. Will motherboard need bios update, before it can detect the CPU? If yes, will I be able to manage the update? I had choosen a B550 based motherboard and Ryzen 3. No problem. However I think an update took place later from the Gigabyte software within Windows environment. I am not sure.
2. Will my chosen RAM module be compatible with the motherboard? I checked the motherboard company list carefully and picked a RAM stick. In retrospect, I think most RAM are compatible with most motherboard, without the need to look up compatible list.
3. How much thermal paste to apply? Apply too much it will overflow and spoil CPU. Too less and heat transfer will not be good enough. In the end using stock cooler of Ryzen saved the day: it has thermal compound already applied.

During assembly I faced two problems:
1. Fixing the motherboard back panel surround into hole in cabinet: I did not push it hard enough to snap it into place. The motherboard wouldn't sit correctly. I did two three trials until I found the problem.
2. Tightening the CPU cooler screws: did I tighten correctly? Too loose and the cooler wouldn't perform optimally. Too tight and you could spoil CPU and/or motherboard. Solution: read cooler installation guide carefully.

Components: I choose a Fractal Design matx cabinet, without glass panel. Build quality is excellent. The side panels have sound deadening, making it very heavy (get the car door connection? ). Power supply unit is Corsair bronze certified. These two are going to last a long long time. Rest are easily upgradeable, not all at once, of course.
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 16:10   #3780
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I am looking to set up a desktop computer for my 12 year old son, primarily for studying and projects. However, gaming cannot be ruled out with kids. I am not much into computer configurations and only understand the basics. I did search a few online but ended up confused.

Thanks
I honestly think this is not the time to be assembling a PC, due to the insane GPU prices and the chip shortage. A decent gaming laptop which costs 50-60k comes with a decent processor and a really good GPU compared to an integrated one. Keeping the 60k budget for the tower alone, you might be spending around 10k for the monitor alone and add 2-3k for peripherals....If you look at it from this angle a laptop may be a very feasible choice, which will last for 2-3 years minimum.
CzechItaliaMoto is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks