Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2016, 07:42   #8266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
What is the general opinion on Vu TV?
Feedback is greatly appreciated.
I have recently bought a 32inch Full HD VU TV for my home. I would rate the picture quality to be at par (slightly below Sony) and sound quality to be just adequate. Considering the price point at which this brand is generally operating, I would term it as a good VFM deal.
Old 15th December 2016, 16:05   #8267
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
1. I don't think it makes sense to purchase a UHD or 4k TV at the moment since most of the content available now and in the near future will not be in UHD format.

2. I think the picture quality will be sharp on a 1080p TV again because the channels which stream SD content and are upscaled by the TV to 1080p look pixelated. The same content will look even more pixelated on 2160p TV/resolution.

3. I think there are some which you may download and this will keep increasing in the future. However, in Indian terms this will take years to be regular.

Another note would be to take a Non smart TV , especially if the price difference is too much between the 2 options
Hey, did you get yourself a new set? I remember you asking for recommendations back in the summer.
Old 20th December 2016, 12:13   #8268
Distinguished - BHPian

Full HD 3D LED TV

A friend of mine wants to buy a FHD LED TV with 3D . Size between 40 ~ 43 inches.

He does not want Smart TV.

Kindly suggest models with realistic picture and color reproduction and decent sound.

Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 22:57   #8269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
I have recently bought a 32inch Full HD VU TV for my home. I would rate the picture quality to be at par (slightly below Sony) and sound quality to be just adequate. Considering the price point at which this brand is generally operating, I would term it as a good VFM deal.
True considering the huge price difference comparing to a sammy vu is worth and HD content qualityy will be as good as premium TV's. One of the advantage buying Vu is if you want to upgrade your TV to the latest features in near future (say one year) you can easily switch to that cos you initial investment is low. btw i have a micromax 40 inch and is going stronger for the last 2 years.
Old 2nd January 2017, 14:01   #8270
BHPian

Last week I bought LG 43" (model 43LH600T) smart tv. As I was out of Bengaluru, the installation was done only yesterday. The technician did the installation and when he tried to open youtube app, it took some time configuring the user permission. The technician left giving the demo. Later in the night, when I tried to again check the apps, the youtube app is missing from the list !. Youtube is however available from the web browser. I called the technician and he said he will drop by when he comes to my locality to check the problem.

Anyone knows why this happens and how to get the app back.
Old 3rd January 2017, 11:30   #8271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Last week I bought LG 43" (model 43LH600T) smart tv. As I was out of Bengaluru, the installation was done only yesterday. The technician did the installation and when he tried to open Youtube app, it took some time configuring the user permission. The technician left giving the demo. Later in the night, when I tried to again check the apps, the Youtube app is missing from the list !. Youtube is however available from the web browser. I called the technician and he said he will drop by when he comes to my locality to check the problem.

Anyone knows why this happens and how to get the app back.
Did you check in LG Store to see if it was listed? You can try reinstalling it from there.
Old 3rd January 2017, 12:29   #8272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last week I bought LG 43" (model 43LH600T) smart tv...Anyone knows why this happens and how to get the app back.
We got the little brother of yours - 32LH602D last week; you can find this app in LG store & get it installed; this is how I installed it myself. All these pseudo technicians from LG are hardly good enough to do a wall mount. Had they provided the wall mount to us, I would've done a better job (they broke one of the bolt head as well)
Old 4th January 2017, 10:04   #8273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsudarsan View Post
Did you check in LG Store to see if it was listed? You can try reinstalling it from there.
Youtube app is available to me since yesterday. I opened the site from the browser and it got installed on its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
We got the little brother of yours - 32LH602D last week; you can find this app in LG store & get it installed; this is how I installed it myself. All these pseudo technicians from LG are hardly good enough to do a wall mount. Had they provided the wall mount to us, I would've done a better job (they broke one of the bolt head as well)
I also got the wall mount installation. Not very comfortable with the TV suspended by four bolts.

My TV is covered with Cellophane tape around the edges except the bottom edge. Do all TVs come with tape stuck like that? I still haven't removed that.
I read in some sites that demo piece is usually covered with tape. Is that true?
Old 4th January 2017, 10:19   #8274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also got the wall mount installation. Not very comfortable with the TV suspended by four bolts
Bolts are good & it can 100% support the weight trust me; our TV is suspended only with 3 bolts, beat that

Quote:
My TV...Is that true?
Our TV was 100% box piece, unopened, taken right from warehouse; will confirm this Saturday if it has cellophane tape all over or not. Although I don't remember seeing it all around.

But don't try & think too much; as long as you've warranty (and may be take an extended if you wish) nothing much to worry about.
Old 9th January 2017, 11:25   #8275
BHPian

Extended Warranty for gadgets

I am looking at purchasing a new TV - Panasonic TH-60C300DX. It comes with 1 year manufacturer warranty. I am looking at 2 year extended warranty from either Onsite Electro Services, Jeeves or Bajaj Finserv. The cost for each is around 7000.
Does anyone have any experience with either of them for any gadget? Bajaj seems like good option as it is insurance with IRDA protection. But the other two looks like will provide better service.

Thanks in advance!

P.S.: I did inquiry with Panasonic but they are quoting an insane 39k for 2 year warranty!
Old 10th January 2017, 10:55   #8276
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Extended Warranty for gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
I did inquiry with Panasonic but they are quoting an insane 39k for 2 year warranty!
That is indeed insane. Can you check again from another source? Seems too high to be true. I paid:

12.5k for my 55" Sony
1.5k for my 22" Sony

Both were 2 year warranty top-ups.

I got a warranty from onsite electro for one of my office laptops. The claims procedure was painful (too many calls & too many document requests); they did eventually repair the laptop at their own workshop and took about 7 days for a small keyboard error. I'll stick with Dell's onsite warranty for my work tools.
Old 10th January 2017, 14:10   #8277
BHPian

Sanyo 43S7100F queries

I have recently purchased Sanyo 43" LED TV and have the following queries. Though I have posted these to their support, I am not sure that I will get some convincing answers.

1. Subtitles

While I play movies with subtitles (srt files) from the USB drives, the subtitles are displayed at the bottom of the screen. However the contrast of the subtitle is very low and the fonts are very thin such that subtitles are unreadable most of the time. Is there a way to make the subtitles appear bold or a different font?

2. Resume play

While playing movies from the USB drive, is there a way to resume the movie from the previous stop/pause point? I see that a dialog stating Resume Play Yes or No appears momentarily and movie starts from the beginning. It is really annoying to restart and fast forward the movie every time.

3. Alternative encoding to MOV file
I understand that the TV does not support MOV format/encoding of the video files. What is the best alternative to this format that TV supports, which does not loose sharpness. I tried converting the mov file to mp4 with H.264, but could see the loss of sharpness due to lossy compression.
Old 10th January 2017, 16:46   #8278
rbp
BHPian

Re: Extended Warranty for gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
I am looking at purchasing a new TV - Panasonic TH-60C300DX.
How much were you quoted for the TV price?
Old 12th January 2017, 16:07   #8279
BHPian

Quote:
My TV is covered with Cellophane tape around the edges except the bottom edge. Do all TVs come with tape stuck like that? I still haven't removed that.
I read in some sites that demo piece is usually covered with tape. Is that true?
Did you check the usage hours of the panel? A good thing with LG is that you can get this info without much of a hassle. For Samsung you need to enter the service menu.
Check out my experience here
There can be tell-tale signs like initial setup not coming up (this can be done using a simple factory reset), no tapes on the borders etc. But the best way to confirm is by checking the usage hours.
Old 12th January 2017, 16:23   #8280
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

My 1.5 year old Samsung TV has developed Horizontal lines across the panel. Currently there are 2 lines across the panel at the bottom. I am worried its the panel. Unfortunately no warranty on this one. Has anyone faced similar issue?

Most Viewed