Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2010, 13:57   #1651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
They diagnosed and phoned us within three hours or so. Pretty good service.

However, it requires a controller board, and the cost inc. labour would be over 4,000. For a seven-year-old unit, I don't think that makes any sense. Obviously a cheap oven can be bought for that, and a not-so-cheap at two to three times the price.
The cost of spare and labour are quite high for these gadgets. I had the same problem and looking around for a good basic microwave for reheating purpose alone. I have a separate oven for baking.
Old 22nd November 2010, 15:20   #1652
naj
BHPian

Quote:
My Panasonic microwave is dead :(
Same with my Godrej convection oven.Just 4 months after the warranty expiry the oven has gone dead .
The service technician has told me that the Main PCB needs to be replaced.
The same is not available and am waiting for last 20 Days for the same.

These Godrej micro waves are made in China . One can even see the labeling of made in PRC.
I had some trust in Godrej and felt that I should give an Indian Company a chance ,but sadly they did not live up to it.I tried to speak to the customer care regarding the quality of the components but they seem indifferent.Cost 2000 INR plus.Already spent 350 for the technician visit.

I am still waiting for the PCB.

Any one buying from Godrej pls choose carefully.

cheers,
naj

Last edited by naj : 22nd November 2010 at 15:22.
Old 22nd November 2010, 17:54   #1653
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Also true with Onida/croma/koryo ( the bigbazaar home brand ).They get it imported from china with their name stamped on it.
Also it appeared they are smaller compared to the same capacity models from LG/Samsung.
Old 22nd November 2010, 18:47   #1654
Senior - BHPian

The fact of life is that most of the appliances are imported from China and rebranded in India. If you look carefully most of the laptops and cell phones are also made in China!

The only saving grace is that high end brands have a stronger and more rigorous QC, so their products are robust, while others do not bother and you live with the product till it breaks down.
Old 22nd November 2010, 20:35   #1655
BHPian

Well, the 'beauty box' in our 3 day old LG broke. It was basically a box[d-uh] with one of its sides being the lid, and the bottom of the lid had these thin, 1cm long parts which fit into the walls of the fridge, creating a hinge. One of the 1 cm long 'things' broke.

The service guy agreed to change it rather reluctantly, and said that they won't do it the next time it breaks apart. As if...

Let's just hope this was a minor manufacturing defect in what is otherwise a product made to last [Being hopelessly optimistic, but oh well !]
Old 22nd November 2010, 21:38   #1656
Senior - BHPian

Eddy,

Gurgaon has NO oil filled radiators available currently. There's some story about them being ISO certified & hence delayed.

But in 2000 bucks you'll only get a decent halogen heater (3 level) for about 1500. Which will dry out the room as well as burn off the oxygen in the room (as said colloquially)

Oil radiator is easily 3900 for 7 fin,. 4500ish for 9 fin and ~5500-6k for 11 fin. The number of fins is determined by your room size.

Budget badhao boss!
Old 23rd November 2010, 00:16   #1657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Also true with Onida/croma/koryo ( the bigbazaar home brand ).They get it imported from china with their name stamped on it.
Also it appeared they are smaller compared to the same capacity models from LG/Samsung.
While all 3 are of Chinese origin, it probably won't be fair to put Onida in the same catageory with Korya, Croma, etc. Also, not all Chinese stuff is similar. Some products are sourced from better factories, some less so.
Old 23rd November 2010, 00:23   #1658
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Guys, please share your experiences about Panasonic refrigerators ?

Looking at one in the 300 ~ 350 Litres capacity range.

No prices are mentioned on the website, will be going to check out the models at the brand store soon !

Would appreciate anyone of you sharing your experience of using a Panasonic refrigerator !
Old 27th November 2010, 00:39   #1659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
My experience with Whirlpool has been very good. Its 4 years now and shifted half a dozen houses. No problem. Recommended.

Lucky you! No more whirlpool in my house! waiting for the extended and extended amc to get over to dump that thing. ofcourse we do have 2 more machines that do regular work. Same with a whirlpool A/c. Had to dump it! I would never buy another whirlpool product.

As always, looks and a brand name is not everything

Quote:
My Panasonic microwave is dead :(

We are taking it to a Panasonic-authorised service place in Adyar tomorrow.

Been doing the gadget-drool thing over the latest microwave-convection-steam ovens, but they are far too expensive, and it would be hard to justify even a convection microwave as my kitchen already has a built-in electric oven.
Err reminds me, I have a kenstar and a lg microwave (if i am right), dead state ofcourse! And it had to take a tbhp post to remind me have to get them checked. From what i know its not rocket tech inside, I guess it must be the capacitor! Thanks again for reminding me will get them fixed

Last edited by theMAG : 27th November 2010 at 11:19. Reason: Back-back posts. Please use Edit button to manage content created within 15 mins.
Old 27th November 2010, 02:31   #1660
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
My experience with Whirlpool has been very good. No problem. Recommended.
+1 to that. Our Whirlpool fridge lasted about 11 years before we decided to upgrade to a frost-free Samsung 530L, which is not part of the Whirlpool range. And a Whirlpool front-loading washing machine is still going strong after 7 years' service - refurbished the body last week (rust from an unnoticed leak), and it continues to work just fine. The few times we've had to call for service, the response has been prompt, and work done satisfactorily.
Old 27th November 2010, 03:02   #1661
Distinguished - BHPian

We now have a new LG washing machine and microwave oven.

Oven: MC-908TLR. I went against all my own advice and bought a convection combination. I liked the appearance of this model, and that counts in a kitchen. However, having got it home, I find it cumbersome to use, and not so solid in quality. Also it is not nearly as powerful as my old machine. Apparently Panasonic is only available from their own shop in Anna Nagar, and I couldn't be bothered. Wish I had. Never mind: will get used to it's ways and have told the Financial Director to depreciate it over three years.

The washing machine is [err... can't find the book: will post tomorrow]. More satisfied with this. It feels quite solid, although not as solid as my dear departed Bosch (sob). So far, have only done the test wash. It is certainly quiet.

We had an interesting experience with the installation. The specifications state that it is rat proof. We asked the installation engineer about this, and he said, no, the bottom of the machine is open. We checked, and saw that there is plastic part each side, which looks as if a middle part could be fitted.

He checked with customer service: they said to ask the shop. We called the shop, and they said, yes, it is underneath the thermocool in the box. It was. The engineer had never seen it before, and it was me that worked out how to slide it into place.
Old 27th November 2010, 09:26   #1662
BHPian

There's no oven with that model number on the website. This is the closest match I could find.

Last edited by theMAG : 27th November 2010 at 11:13. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire long posts, for readability. Thanks.
Old 27th November 2010, 14:18   #1663
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry: MC-8089TLR.

That must be one of my worst typing examples!

The washing machine is F1256QDP5. It is a 7kg machine. I went to shop thinking that even 5kg would be more than enough for a household of two, but when I saw the size of the drum, it looked tiny.

The total price that we negotiated for the two items was 42,100
Old 27th November 2010, 16:20   #1664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I went to shop thinking that even 5kg would be more than enough for a household of two, but when I saw the size of the drum, it looked tiny.
@Thad sir, have you bought it already or yet to buy?

BTW, how many clothes are you planning to wash per cycle? The front loader's drums are small, but do not under estimate them.
Old 27th November 2010, 18:31   #1665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The washing machine is F1256QDP5. It is a 7kg machine. I went to shop thinking that even 5kg would be more than enough for a household of two, but when I saw the size of the drum, it looked tiny.
As we wash every thing which does not need dry cleaning - clothes, sheets, curtains and at time canvas shoes, it depends how many clothes you wash at a time.

I think that my IFB is 5kg and it can take 10 shirts, 2 pants, 10 underwear and a towel. Or 4 double bedsheets and 4 pillow cases. This is when the drum is 3/4 full.

On the other hand, a 5x3 thick rug (duree) it barely fits while the 6x4 does not.

Most Viewed