Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2011, 19:44   #1996
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Thank you so much for helping me build the trust on what I've bought! I didnt buy any additional warranty
Old 18th April 2011, 21:32   #1997
BANNED

royalcruiser - what was the final price you paid?

BTW, I am shelving plans for a new w/m indefinitely. The IFB one has gone to a non-company service outlet for repairs. They are estimating a 6k repair bill.

The gap will be filled by a Godrej top loader, (fully automatic) which was resurrected. It was serviced for 1.5K and it is suddenly much quieter than when it was new. Obviously, workmanship skills count. I am not sure what was done, since the machine was on loan, and it was the other guy who did the repairs. I took it back since he was not using it, and I needed one anyway. Even the clothes are much drier than what the IFB machine.

For the record, for the Godrej machine, purchased sometime in 2004/5 I had paid around the same price as the repair estimate quoted for the IFB!!!

Only reason we (rest in the family) decided to give the IFB another chance is because the show room guys we visited in last 2 weeks were plain shocked and surprised that we are replacing the IFB - they simply cannot believe that an IFB has trouble. We had talked about exchange this time; something we had not considered last time. Last time, the idea (in my mind) was to give it to scrap dealer and pay him to take it away
Old 19th April 2011, 08:45   #1998
UKR
BHPian

People I need help buying a vacuum cleaner. First thing I looked at was the iRobot Roomba as it could do the cleaning by itself. But I don't think it is available in India. So now looking at normal vacuum cleaners. I would like to have something which is not bulky but has very good suction and low maintenance. Guys kindly advice how I could source a Roomba and also a good vacuum cleaner available in India. Thanks.
Old 19th April 2011, 12:32   #1999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKR View Post
People I need help buying a vacuum cleaner. First thing I looked at was the iRobot Roomba as it could do the cleaning by itself.
Check out Robocleanz from Eureka Forbes. Similar to Roomba.
Old 19th April 2011, 20:05   #2000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Or you can even look at nano from them, compact cleaner.
Old 19th April 2011, 21:07   #2001
BHPian

Quote:
I do not recommend this. I have had enough issues with it. The product concept is good, but the quality leaves a lot to be desired. The service support on this product is at the same levels as quality of the product.
Old 19th April 2011, 22:41   #2002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnayak View Post
I do not recommend this. I have had enough issues with it. The product concept is good, but the quality leaves a lot to be desired. The service support on this product is at the same levels as quality of the product.
That's sad. Eureka Forbes service in our city is pretty good. Of course, the product is a complete ripoff of Roomba.
Old 19th April 2011, 23:47   #2003
UKR
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the inputs guys.

Quote:
I had checked this one out and found it to be pretty mediocre compared to Roomba as it lacked features that the Roomba had. One of them is the auto return to base for recharging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Or you can even look at nano from them, compact cleaner.
This one looks promising. Pretty much fits my requirements. Will check this out.
Old 20th April 2011, 09:08   #2004
BANNED

My experience shows:

1. Variable power is almost useless. You got flat out at least 90% of the time.

2. Get a wet and dry if you can.

3. Look for a 'blow' option.

4. See if you have a model which does not have disposable bags.
Old 20th April 2011, 12:02   #2005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
royalcruiser - what was the final price you paid?
I paid 19.2k after exchanging my old semi-auto m/c. Quite impressed with the wash quality so far.
Old 21st April 2011, 19:31   #2006
BANNED

Hello everybody,

I need to buy a refrigerator, preferably around 450 L.

I live in Delhi, so power fluctuations are a plenty. So I need a refrigerator which has minimum faults and if a fault occurs then the service should be prompt and good. Cost is not an issue.

Please Advice.

So far i have only seen Samsung RT54 with a digital temp. control in the front.
Old 22nd April 2011, 10:39   #2007
BHPian

For power fluctuations, always invest in a good stabilizer. There are power fluctuations in Bangalore also. But never had problem in 12 years due to the stabilizer.

As for the refrigerator, I had recently bought a Hitachi refrigerator. My thoughts about it can be found in this thread a few pages back.
Old 22nd April 2011, 10:41   #2008
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post
For power fluctuations, always invest in a good stabilizer. There are power fluctuations in Bangalore also. But never had problem in 12 years due to the stabilizer.

As for the refrigerator, I had recently bought a Hitachi refrigerator. My thoughts about it can be found in this thread a few pages back.
We do use a 1 KVA stabilizer for the refrigerator but still things happen. The stabilizer is working fine, we got it checked.
Old 22nd April 2011, 10:58   #2009
BANNED

I think stabiulizers are hyped too much. All appliances are using induction motors, which are very insensitive to fluctuation. As long as you are reasonable sure that the voltage is between 180-255V forget it. I have seen more failure due to stabilizers than from the units. Let me add that for the past 30 or so years I have NOT used stabilizers. If you want to be sure just add a properly rated MCB.
Old 22nd April 2011, 11:31   #2010
BHPian

Maybe you are correct about the induction motors. And I am also not sure whether all stabilizer protect against surges which last just a few cycles.

Though I do not believe that refrigerator is just about induction motors. It is an entire system composed of the compressor/motor, insulation and electronics designed to operate at certain voltages. The tolerances used in the design will impact its capacity at over-voltages. However, with modern automated ways of designing, over-design is minimal and tolerances are tight (probably only as specified). The induction motors may with-stand over-voltages, but the electronics typically will not. Also, the insulation degrades at a faster rate with over-voltage surges. I believe most problems that people face with refrigerators are not related to compressors/motors but with other aspects.

But again, I have to agree that this is all theory. Using a stabilizer is just playing safe.

I should have added in my previous post that I had problems in the three months that I did not use stabilizers such as blown bulbs. Also, I am using a 500 VA stabilizer (which may be break earlier than a 1 KVA) that has a time-out before restarting.

Hope this post helps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks