Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2014, 12:49   #4771
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Not really. At the time of our purchase there were 2 Panasonic bottom freezers that were priced lower but having had good experience with Samsung in the past we preferred a better established brand.
Compared to LG, Samsung is cheaper in 390 Litre+ models with inverter type compressor. I say this because I was doing a comparo between these brands in 390 litre model in my market. Didn't find any Panasonic models above 250 DD then, so I can't comment on what price differential would exist at another place.

I do know though, that I used to have a Panasonic 190L model when I was getting transferred and shifting around a lot. As a compact model, I bought a 190L Pana which happened to be *Manual Defrost*. So once while 'manually defrosting' I took a sharp object to hit the ice off the freezer and accidentaly punctured a cooling coil and gas burst out as a result. And fridge was phuss.

The Panasonic tech though helped me in real quick time and fixed the freezer compartment, refilled the gas (whirlpool r410a) and turnaround was only 2 days.
Old 14th November 2014, 16:12   #4772
Distinguished - BHPian

Anti-Walk Silent Feet are keeping my washing machine from wandering. Ordered from USA and arrived, USPS, in about ten days.

it doesn't wander, but it quivers like a jelly.
Old 14th November 2014, 20:20   #4773
Senior - BHPian

Give it a straw skirt, couple of sparkles and enjoy the belly dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Old 15th November 2014, 01:50   #4774
Distinguished - BHPian

Honestly, I think that might be the answer!

I'll let it shake its guts out, and then buy a Bosch, Siemens ...or the mightily expensive Hitachi that you (I think?) recommended a little while ago.
Old 15th November 2014, 18:27   #4775
Distinguished - BHPian

All about Electronics and Electrical appliances recall and replacement

We are familiar with automobile recall campaigns. It isn't limited to automobiles. Recall campaign is applicable for every single item that we buy.

To start with, I got a mail from HP (Hewlett-Packard Company) regarding the global recall and replacement programme for POWER CORD.

Quote:
HP Notebook PC AC Power Cord Safety Recall and Replacement Programme

You are receiving this notice because HP has announced, in cooperation with various government regulatory agencies, a worldwide voluntary AC power cord recall programme. HP records show that you have registered a product that may be affected. The AC power cords have the potential to overheat, posing a fire and burn hazard to consumers.

The affected AC power cords were sold from September 2010 through June 2012 and distributed worldwide with HP and Compaq notebook and mini notebook computers (including mobile thin clients and mobile workstations), as well as with AC adapters provided with accessories such as docking stations.

HP’s primary concern is for your safety. To reduce the likelihood of damage from a power cord failure, stop using your power cord immediately until you have determined whether your power cord is affected.

The AC power cords can be identified by an “LS-15” moulded mark on the adapter end of the cord. Not all of the AC power cords with the “LS-15” mark are affected.

To determine if your AC power cord is affected by this recall, visit the HP Notebook PC AC Power Cord Replacement Programme website at https://www.hp.com/support/PowerCordReplacement. If the validation indicates that your power cord is affected, HP will mail a replacement power cord to you at no cost.

Note: The validation process may show that your AC power cord is not affected by this replacement programme. If your power cord is not affected, you may continue use of the power cord in your possession.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Sincerely,

Hewlett-Packard Company
The Home Appliance thread-powercord.jpg

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 15th November 2014 at 18:29.
Old 15th November 2014, 19:30   #4776
Distinguished - BHPian

Happens all the time in many countries. A few years ago we got a recall from Apple for our iPod nano. Got a nice new one! Not bad, I had the original one for several years already! But at the same time bit of a nuisance.

Jeroen
Old 17th November 2014, 11:07   #4777
BHPian

Quote:
Anti-Walk Silent Feet are keeping my washing machine from wandering. Ordered from USA and arrived, USPS, in about ten days.

Buddy, My LG Front loading 7 kg washing machine wanders like hell during the spin and dry cycle.

Does the said product help to locate it at its fixed position. Any photos might help with the same.

Thanks a ton
Old 17th November 2014, 14:45   #4778
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm glad it isn't just me.

You can see the basic look of the product on the given link, but it doesn't give an idea of scale. I'll try to remember to post a photo.

There are two layers. The top layer seems quite hard, and the bottom, sorbothane, layer is softer. It also has a sticky feel. This stickiness is part of the anit-walk strategy, as it grips a smooth surface underneath it.

You can see the size (in mm or 12pt ems ), the two layers, the cup-shaped top ---and the rust which is attacking the body in just a couple of years.

The Home Appliance thread-foot1.jpg

The Home Appliance thread-foot2.jpg

With the feet the machine quivers more, but jumps less and does not wander. The worst thing is when washing just one or two things, and the load cannot be balanced; then it will leap. I don't know yet if the feet will handle this.
Old 17th November 2014, 20:20   #4779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

I will be surprised of the type of knives I am referring to are that cheap. I would expect about 10-20x the price you mention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^See if Panasonic has one. Their mixies have the best build quality compared to all the others I'v seen in the Indian Market. Price is likely to be significantly higher.

Sharpest knives I'v seen are those inexpensive Made in Germany ones. Fabulous blade. Can't recall the brand. I doubt if any of the fancier and pricier brands will have a blade like that.

Hello Guys, Believe it or not, I am a knife aficionado, not that I spend money and collect, but I definitely have more than a layman's interest in it due to my interest in martial arts.

So it was with great interest I read these posts by you two folks, and ever since I have been on a insatiable quest to find these very sharp cheap german knives for kitchen work.

It was my ritual to go look at the knife section in any store I go into for the last couple of years.

Imagine my surprise when I found this holy grail of sharp cheap knives, suddenly on my vacation in a super market, when I was not really expecting to find it.

I am attaching a pic of it. You can get it in Nilgiri stores, if you look. I found it in all places, in Tirupati, when I was stocking up on travel food, for my journey.

So there you have it, a sharp, well made, cheap German knife that cuts unlike anything I have used so far. It sells for 20-25 rupees !
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-german-knife.jpg  

Old 17th November 2014, 21:39   #4780
Senior - BHPian

Rust in two years! that is not good at all. Could you share the complete model number of your machine.

Quote:
---and the rust which is attacking the body in just a couple of years.

Does this German have name or should we go around asking for 'Jerry's knife'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMind View Post
So there you have it, a sharp, well made, cheap German knife that cuts unlike anything I have used so far. It sells for 20-25 rupees !
Old 17th November 2014, 23:33   #4781
Distinguished - BHPian

khoj, it is an F1256QDP5.

NoMind, does your knife hold its edge for long?
Old 18th November 2014, 07:38   #4782
BHPian

Quote:
khoj, it is an F1256QDP5.

NoMind, does your knife hold its edge for long?
Thad, It's just been two weeks. I'd give it a few months to see how it works out. SO far it cuts like a dream.
Old 18th November 2014, 13:28   #4783
Distinguished - BHPian

Good. I use carbon steel knives in the kitchen: they cost a lot, rust, take a good edge easily, but need a little sharpening most days.
Old 18th November 2014, 14:31   #4784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMind View Post
I have been on a insatiable quest to find these very sharp cheap german knives for kitchen work.
Quote:
Good. I use carbon steel knives in the kitchen: they cost a lot, rust, take a good edge easily, but need a little sharpening most days.
As a guy who cooks a lot, I have a passion for a good knife . After experimenting with a lot of varieties starting from a few rupees for a local one to over a thousand for a SS Victorinox, I finally found a local one which costed me Rs. 75/-.

I believe it is made of the waste blade used as part of the hack saw blade for cutting timber in the saw mills. It cuts like a dream, once sharpened lasts for a long time and doesn't rust.
Old 18th November 2014, 14:56   #4785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmrsm View Post
As a guy who cooks a lot, I have a passion for a good knife . After experimenting with a lot of varieties starting from a few rupees for a local one to over a thousand for a SS Victorinox, I finally found a local one which costed me Rs. 75/-.

I believe it is made of the waste blade used as part of the hack saw blade for cutting timber in the saw mills. It cuts like a dream, once sharpened lasts for a long time and doesn't rust.
Can you let us know where you bought it and what its called ? So we can try it out.

Most Viewed