Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2016, 16:19   #6211
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
In contrast the stone grinder, grinds the particle between two stone surfaces and that reduces the particle size both consistently across the material type, as well as uniformly.
Aroy,
I had visited Ultra shop nearby and they introduced a mini-drum with smaller grind stones which fits into existing holder itself for Rs.1990. This may serve your purpose!
Old 26th November 2016, 17:08   #6212
Senior - BHPian

I'm considering replacing a couple of tube lights at home with LED tube lights. How do I go about it? Do the LED tube lights fix onto the regular holders, or do I need to change both and rewire from the outlet?
I apologise if this is a basic question!!
Also to replace a 40W tube light, what LED wattage should I get (for plain white and warm white light?)
Old 26th November 2016, 18:53   #6213
BHPian

You have to remove existing holder. Re wiring is not rewuired. 18w led is more or less equivalent to 36w fl tube. Plain white is 6000k, warm white is 3000k.
Old 1st December 2016, 13:36   #6214
Senior - BHPian

I have mildew problem at my home and it is causing much allergy attacks in my family.

Will an air purifier by helpful for me? Or do I have to look at a dehumidifier? There is much ventilation above the windows in my home, but the windows themselves are not opened always. Does opening the windows always be more helpful?

What is the running/maintenance cost of an air purifier?
Old 1st December 2016, 14:41   #6215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I have mildew problem at my home and it is causing much allergy attacks in my family.

Will an air purifier by helpful for me? Or do I have to look at a dehumidifier?
An air purifier will not help. You need a dehumidifier. An air conditioner will do the job as well, if your place is not too cold.
Old 2nd December 2016, 11:52   #6216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post

Will an air purifier by helpful for me? Or do I have to look at a dehumidifier? There is much ventilation above the windows in my home, but the windows themselves are not opened always. Does opening the windows always be more helpful?

What is the running/maintenance cost of an air purifier?
Humidity in a closed rooms rises quite a bit. You have to let the ambient air circulate in the room, so please open the windows for as long as you can. In case there are insect problems, install mosquito nets on the windows.

In a humid environment a dehumidifier does help, but most are quite expensive to run as they are based on wither chemical adsorption or refrigeration. Fine in a laboratory, but not worth it in a residential environment.

An air purifier is not dehumidifier, so of no use in your case.
Old 6th December 2016, 12:38   #6217
BHPian

I have a problem with hardwater at my apartment. It leaves the skin flaky and dry. The hardness measure is in the range of 700 PPM. Have been thinking of fixing a water softener. Now since there are multiple inlets to the apartment, I will have to bank on one of those mini softeners.

These are the options I have
Kent Mini
https://www.kent.co.in/Water-Softene...-Mini-Softener

Ira - Their WHOLE TAP IRON REMOVER AND ANTISCALANT or DOUBLE CARTRIDGE SYSTEM WITH CATALYST AND FILTER
http://www.irawaters.net/domestic-iron-remover.html

3M AP141T

3M one is not an ion exchange one, it as per the rep, deactivates the Ca-Mg ions.

Experts - Please suggest on this or any other alternatives.

Thanks much.
Old 6th December 2016, 14:05   #6218
BHPian

My 10 year old dry iron box just conked off today,

Whats your take on the dry iron vs steam iron debate.

Saw a Philips steam iron GC1920 model, claims to come with Golden american heritage coating for easy gliding

http://www.amazon.in/Philips-GC1920-...b-99663717a68f

https://www.snapdeal.com/product/phi...0iron%20gc1920

selling for ₹1279 on Amazon & Snapdeal
& Snapdeal is offering 20% off just for today on all purchases above ₹1000, code:SNAP20

so it comes ₹1024 after discount, Is it worth it.?

Please reply, need to buy today itself
Old 6th December 2016, 14:14   #6219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
The steam ones are better for cotton and cotton rich clothes. Definitely worth the price imo.
Old 6th December 2016, 15:15   #6220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Just get it. You'll never go back to old dry irons. Using a Philips steam iron since last 9 years! Just had to replace the wire once.

Regards.

Last edited by GTO : 9th December 2016 at 21:59. Reason: Small typo :)
Old 6th December 2016, 16:37   #6221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Saw a Philips steam iron GC1920 model, claims to come with Golden american heritage coating for easy gliding

http://www.amazon.in/Philips-GC1920-...b-99663717a68f

https://www.snapdeal.com/product/phi...0iron%20gc1920

selling for ₹1279 on Amazon & Snapdeal
& Snapdeal is offering 20% off just for today on all purchases above ₹1000, code:SNAP20

Debate? What debate!

Unless you power them with charcoal, dry irons are a thing of the past. 45 years since I left home: don't think I ever owned a dry iron.

And anyway, when you want to iron dry, you can.

I have only one hint on buying irons. Don't get fooled into thinking that light-weight is good. The weight of the iron does the work for you.

Actually, I have a better hint... Don't iron, send it out.

A while back, I ironed a silk vesti just to show that I could do it just as well as the ironing lady could. I couldn't. I lost the competition miserably!
Old 8th December 2016, 07:49   #6222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
You have to remove existing holder. Re wiring is not rewuired. 18w led is more or less equivalent to 36w fl tube. Plain white is 6000k, warm white is 3000k.
Thanks for the info. I went ahead and installed my first LED tube light and it was a breeze. I removed the old tube light and holder/choke. I used the same holes on the wall to put the clip holders from the LED tube light and then connected the wire from the LED tube light to the power point on the wall.
I decided to buy the color changing LED tube light which easily allows me to switch between warm white and cool daylight.
Old 8th December 2016, 09:47   #6223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I decided to buy the color changing LED tube light which easily allows me to switch between warm white and cool daylight.
Did you go for the Wipro one? Am considering LED tubes myself but would like a philips one if there is one.
Old 8th December 2016, 23:18   #6224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
I have a problem with hardwater at my apartment. It leaves the skin flaky and dry. The hardness measure is in the range of 700 PPM. Have been thinking of fixing a water softener. Now since there are multiple inlets to the apartment, I will have to bank on one of those mini softeners.

These are the options I have
Kent Mini
https://www.kent.co.in/Water-Softene...-Mini-Softener

Ira - Their WHOLE TAP IRON REMOVER AND ANTISCALANT or DOUBLE CARTRIDGE SYSTEM WITH CATALYST AND FILTER
http://www.irawaters.net/domestic-iron-remover.html

3M AP141T

3M one is not an ion exchange one, it as per the rep, deactivates the Ca-Mg ions.

Experts - Please suggest on this or any other alternatives.

Thanks much.
I'm no expert, but I was curious and I Googled the products you mention.

I came across this: (from http://water-treatment-training.blog...hosphates.html)

Quote:
A gross misconception about polyphosphate is the belief that the use of polyphosphate sequestrants to hide iron and manganese is a casual, routine treatment technique for the removal of excess iron and manganese that was not removed during a water treatment plant's sedimentation and filtration processes. In reality, the use of polyphosphate to sequester iron and manganese that a plant failed to remove during the sedimentation and filtration processes is a desperation maneuver. Undesirable quantites of iron and manganese in raw water should be properly oxidized by aeration, permanganate, or ozone and should be deposited in sedimentation basins as part of the floc. Polyphosphates, which sequester iron and manganese for only a limited period of time, are not the ideal or the preferred solution for any water treatment plant's iron and manganese problems. Polyphosphates should only be used to catch the few particles of iron and manganese that were missed during the initial aeration and oxidation process.
So, in my opinion, the 3M cartridge may not be a good thing as it uses polyphosphate to sequester (i.e. basically forms a wall around the Mg and Fe to prevent them from reacting, but does nothing to 'remove' them).

Last edited by mvadg : 8th December 2016 at 23:22.
Old 8th December 2016, 23:47   #6225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
That's fancy! I didn't know they existed.

I've come across all that fancy multicolour lighting that Philips does, but I didn't know one could get a switch-able cold/warm tube LED

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks