Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2010, 17:37   #1906
Team-BHP Support

Ok its official finally 3GS is being launched by airtel, but statement says coming months lol Appearing in many sites including Reuters.

NST Online Bharti to sell iPhone 3GS in India

Bharti to sell iPhone 3GS in India

2010/03/19

Quote:
NEW DELHI: India’s top mobile phone company, Bharti Airtel, said Friday it had reached a deal with Apple Inc. to sell the iPhone 3GS in India.

In a statement, the company said the pact would allow Bharti to bring the latest iPhone to India “in the coming months”.

The announcement came a day after Bharti submitted its bid in a bandwidth auction for third generation, or 3G, mobile telephony services in India.

The successful bidders will be allowed to offer 3G services on a commercial basis from September.

The auction is expected to give an extra fillip to India’s mobile industry, already the fastest expanding globally, where scarcity of bandwidth has affected call quality. -- AFP
Old 19th March 2010, 23:55   #1907
Senior - BHPian

Techtree.com India > News > Telecom > Airtel to Bring In iPhone 3GS to India

Quote:
Airtel has finally confirmed it. Almost a year after the launch of the iPhone 3GS elsewhere globally, Apple has decided to bring it to India through Airtel. Airtel has confirmed that they would be announcing the iPhone 3GS soon . We suspect it could well be later this month.

Airtel now has an iPhone
3GS website up and running with a coming soon tag. Like the 3G, the 3GS too will be locked to Airtel. You can use any other existing Airtel SIM cards though. The phone is already available in India through the grey market at ridiculous prices. Let us all hope Airtel prices this one sensibly but then we are not optimistic about that part
Old 20th March 2010, 08:48   #1908
Senior - BHPian

I picked up a new 3GS with 3.1.3 (Baseband 05.12.1) since I got a good deal, but now it looks like I am stuck for the time being. All pointers seem to say "wait till the unlock is released for this one". Any one know when, how and where? Till I am able to get it to work on Airtel, I have to be content using it with WiFi .
Old 21st March 2010, 15:54   #1909
BHPian

A close friend is coming from US. Is it worth getting iPhone from there? Where can one buy an unlocked iPhone 3G or 3GS in US? And, any idea, how much it is going to cost?
Old 22nd March 2010, 11:32   #1910
BHPian

help

Guys, i jus got a 3GS with me and its on restore mode. and when connected to itunes its asking for a valid sim etc...

where can i get a jailbreak for the 3GS and also what are the things i must watch out for...
is there a way that a 're-locked' phone can be 'unlocked' i mean are there specific steps to do this?

I dunno what version this was running on.... maybe 3.1.1 or .2

@tejas this is the phone i told you about... my friend was busy traveling and now he came to the south on some work and handed the phone to me to try and fix it. can a custom restore of another 3GS work on this?

hope we can fix this phone.
Old 22nd March 2010, 11:39   #1911
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
All pointers seem to say "wait till the unlock is released for this one". Any one know when, how and where?
You may have to wait for 6 months or so. Keep glued to this thread:

Dev-Team Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
A close friend is coming from US. Is it worth getting iPhone from there? Where can one buy an unlocked iPhone 3G or 3GS in US? And, any idea, how much it is going to cost?
Get it from Australia, dubai, HK, Singapore or Italy where they are required to be factory unlocked by law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post

@tejas this is the phone i told you about... my friend was busy traveling and now he came to the south on some work and handed the phone to me to try and fix it. can a custom restore of another 3GS work on this?

hope we can fix this phone.
I have a friend who is in a similar situation. I'm trying to get his iPhone unlocked. Problem is that i'm on the latest version of itunes and now need to break my head and downgrade that first before i can try to unlock on 3.1.2.

If i'm successful doing all this, i will let you know.
Old 23rd March 2010, 00:24   #1912
BHPian

tejas - i downloaded itunes 8.2 from the net and installed it on my laptop(PC)
and then tried.. but it asked for a valid sim card.. I inserted a valid sim and then connected it to the Mac. iTunes had "new iphone found" restore..
now i dont have a custom restore for this phone. Is there any way i can get a .ipsw restore file? will it work?
Old 23rd March 2010, 00:40   #1913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
I picked up a new 3GS with 3.1.3 (Baseband 05.12.1) since I got a good deal, but now it looks like I am stuck for the time being. All pointers seem to say "wait till the unlock is released for this one". Any one know when, how and where? Till I am able to get it to work on Airtel, I have to be content using it with WiFi .
I am also in the same boat. I hope they release the unlock as soon as possible.
Old 23rd March 2010, 01:34   #1914
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I read this on iclarified

"For those with a new iPhone 3GS (updated Bootrom), BlackRa1n only supports a tethered jailbreak. This means that once jailbroken you should not let your battery die. If it does die you will need to reconnect it to the computer and use BlackRa1n to boot it."

Does it mean that everytime I reboot I will have to unlock my phone!!
Old 23rd March 2010, 09:59   #1915
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
tejas - i downloaded itunes 8.2 from the net and installed it on my laptop(PC)
and then tried.. but it asked for a valid sim card.. I inserted a valid sim and then connected it to the Mac. iTunes had "new iphone found" restore..
now i dont have a custom restore for this phone. Is there any way i can get a .ipsw restore file? will it work?
arre its simple, google the 3.1.2 oe firmware, use pwnage to create custom firmware, restore by manually selecting the custom firmware and then connect to wifi for JB and unlock. Just did few days back for a friend and its working perfectly fine.

This will work only if its 3.1.2.
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:33   #1916
Senior - BHPian

I also hear that unlock will only be coming when apple releases 4.0 firmware which would be sometime in June. :(
Old 23rd March 2010, 23:14   #1917
Team-BHP Support

Good news for people wanting to use the 3.1.3 they got from US or for ones who accidentally upgraded.

iClarified - Apple News - BlackSn0w Unlock Gets Updated for iPhone OS 3.1.3 on 05.11.07

And very good news for we the 2G users, finally!

iClarified - Apple News - Opera Mini Submitted to Apple App Store

Check out the video!
My Opera - Opera Mini Countup
Old 24th March 2010, 17:35   #1918
Team-BHP Support

3GS India launch by Airtel this friday 26 March!

You can get more details from Airtel Twitter Bharti Airtel (airtelnews) on Twitter

Original source: Apple iPhone 3GS - India Launch Date and Prices

So at this price would anybody buy??
Old 25th March 2010, 22:57   #1919
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday night, a thief stole my dad's Nokia and my brother's Motorola (kept in 2 different bedrooms) through the window from the first floor! The mobiles were kept 10 to 12 feet away from the window, but the thief still managed to flick it. My dad and my brother were sleeping in their respective rooms, but didn't hear a thing.

Thankfully, I had kept my windows closed yesterday night, so my iPhone 3G (running on Vodafone) is safe with me. Is there any app/settings that uses my iPhone's GPS to track where the phone is on the internet? Just in case my iPhone is stolen..

We called the cops and gave them the IMEI number of the Nokia & Motorola - they were pretty confident of getting back our mobiles in 10 days!
Old 26th March 2010, 09:47   #1920
Team-BHP Support

If you have a 3GS yes, you can track the phone

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks