Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2010, 16:31   #2326
BHPian

Thanks anmol.

I just bought it from ebay.

Last edited by srikat : 15th September 2010 at 16:35.
Old 15th September 2010, 16:33   #2327
BHPian

@srikat

Is the iPhone4 available at Apple Stores too or just the online?
Old 15th September 2010, 17:02   #2328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikat View Post
I already tried to manually cut the SIM so it fits but have not been successful.
How did you cut it, did you use a template? With template its quite easy. I had posted a link sometime back.

Here you go http://www.buy-microsim.com/pub/How%...M%20-%20EN.pdf
Old 15th September 2010, 22:57   #2329
Senior - BHPian

I paid around 36 k for it...

Approx 32 k was price in HK, and the rest was paid to the guy who brought it as commission.. It was available off the shelf

Srikat, I cut the microsim yesterday with a knife. It works perfectly.
Old 16th September 2010, 02:29   #2330
BHPian

iOS 4.2 now available as beta to developers.

New feature added - Wireless printing!
Old 18th September 2010, 13:11   #2331
BHPian

I do not know if iPhones are available for sale in stores in Singapore.

I received the Micro SIM cutter within 1 day after ordering at ebay.

It worked great.

I don't experience the signal loss antenna problem at all.

Just ordered a bumper at ebay for Rs. 250. Want to use it temporarily until I receive my free (as part of the case program) Speck’s PixelSkin HD case.

Now I am off to vodafone site to check out postpaid internet data plans.
Old 18th September 2010, 14:04   #2332
Senior - BHPian

Iphone 3G running on 3.1.3.
Not able to connect to GPS satellites,when trying to connect without a Sim card.
Anything i can do to have it connected to the Satellites without any Data connection?
Old 18th September 2010, 17:09   #2333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Iphone 3G running on 3.1.3.
Not able to connect to GPS satellites,when trying to connect without a Sim card.
Anything i can do to have it connected to the Satellites without any Data connection?
The iPs download maps over your GPRS/EDGE/3G data connection from Google.

They also use the GPS satellites combined with mobile base transceiver station coordinates for a faster lock on your location coordinates. A process called triangulation.
Old 19th September 2010, 12:34   #2334
Senior - BHPian

Downloaded OS 4.1 on my Airtel locked 3G.

However it has one annoying feature, whenever you receive any sms and you open to view the full msg, it opens the message along with keyboard (as if you are replying to that msg).

I havent read the message and how can I reply to it ! Plus the window gets reduced for me to see the contents of the message fully. Its not necessary that I will reply to every sms that I receive. A foolish move my apple people.
Old 19th September 2010, 20:57   #2335
Senior - BHPian

Need Advice

Guys, have been using iphone 4 for past 20-25 days.

I have been frequently having dropped calls. I live in a well networked area so the bars isn't problem.

Recently, i was on a phone in a place where it was showing 5 bars and suddenly the call dropped. Basically, the phone was on, that is minutes were counting but nothing could be heard on either side and eventually the call dropped.

Is this worrisome? I am thinking of returning iphone 4 and going for captivate/x10 or wait for october for possibly improved iphone 4

please advice.
Old 19th September 2010, 23:02   #2336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post

I have been frequently having dropped calls. I live in a well networked area so the bars isn't problem.

Recently, i was on a phone in a place where it was showing 5 bars and suddenly the call dropped. Basically, the phone was on, that is minutes were counting but nothing could be heard on either side and eventually the call dropped.

Is this worrisome? I am thinking of returning iphone 4 and going for captivate/x10 or wait for october for possibly improved iphone 4

please advice.
This could be a network issue. Signal strength is not always the issue, but network congestion.

Don't be in a rush to blame the iPhone just yet. I've experienced call drops on every single phone that I've owned (believe me they're too many to count) over the past decade. And the iPhones i.e. the 3GS and 4 have been among the best on call quality and network performance.

Some networks have endemic problems in areas of a city, specially the business districts.

If you're very concerned, use an bumper case or something similar to insulate the antennas from your hands. That resolves the issue.

Rgds,

Last edited by R2D2 : 19th September 2010 at 23:03.
Old 20th September 2010, 13:24   #2337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
This could be a network issue. Signal strength is not always the issue, but network congestion.

Don't be in a rush to blame the iPhone just yet. I've experienced call drops on every single phone that I've owned (believe me they're too many to count) over the past decade. And the iPhones i.e. the 3GS and 4 have been among the best on call quality and network performance.

Some networks have endemic problems in areas of a city, specially the business districts.

If you're very concerned, use an bumper case or something similar to insulate the antennas from your hands. That resolves the issue.

Rgds,
Initially i thought it is a network issue, more to do with ATT then iphone. But 4 drop calls in a day? That too at different places at different times. Isn't that too much of a coincidence.

This one place was such that the guy i was talking to was standing outside on street and i was sitting inside a bus 10 steps away from him. I called him to tell him that i am inside the bus going home and lo and behold, the call dropped. Felt like this . Also the network bar was showing full strength at this place, which means the network reception was good. I compared the bars with c905 immediately and found no difference in bars at all the places of drop calls.

Also i already have a case on iphone from day one. And i don't hold it the 'wrong' way. Still this happened.

I already gave a window of 3 weeks to iphone, but looks like the issue will stay. Why pay $850 for a phone that drops call. I haven't faced this issue in w580i, c905a, 2G, 3GS. Then why iphone 4?

I gotta decide in 2-3 days time, else if i miss the 30 day return window its gonna be trouble.
Old 20th September 2010, 13:31   #2338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

please advice.
It is a common problem in the Iphone 4, Please go through the links mentioned below

Apple tries to spin its broken iphone 4 - The Inquirer

Consumer watchdog lambasts apple's iphone 4 rubber band program - The Inquirer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

The problem is known as Antennagate in Iphone 4 and problem is being faced all over world.

Last edited by gowda79 : 20th September 2010 at 13:34.
Old 20th September 2010, 16:38   #2339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
The problem is known as Antennagate in Iphone 4 and problem is being faced all over world.
LOL! yes I am aware of what it is. I work in the telecom s/w industry and have an iPhone 4 which works perfectly, albeit in a case. Not single call drop so far.

Rgds,

Quote:
Initially i thought it is a network issue, more to do with ATT then iphone. But 4 drop calls in a day? That too at different places at different times. Isn't that too much of a coincidence.

I gotta decide in 2-3 days time, else if i miss the 30 day return window its gonna be trouble.
I assume you are in the US which explains AT&T and the 30 day return policy. I would suggest you make use of the policy...return the phone and get a new unit. I've been using my iphone 4 for the past 2 weeks putting it thru the paces just as I have any other phone including the 3GS, gosh knows how many high end Nokias . Believe it or not, the iPhones are better than the Nokias in RF performance.

Mods - Sorry, I saw this post after I posted a response to gowda79. You may want to merge the responses.

Last edited by Jaggu : 20th September 2010 at 19:03.
Old 20th September 2010, 18:33   #2340
Senior - BHPian

Been using Iphone 4 for two weeks(Vodafone) and I have not faced any call drop issues yet(touchwood !!).

Initially it was not having good 3G reception inside my house, but since last week, it seems to be working better, so much so that I have started using internet tethering for all my browsing needs at home. Got to finish the 2GB allowance somehow, shouldn't I?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks