Old 22nd November 2010, 11:01   #2581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
42K-For dont know what
factory unlocked one
Old 22nd November 2010, 14:04   #2582

Is this true?

Vodafone is going to sell Iphone 3GS for Rs 19000. Is this true? the information is on there website

Vodafone Phones: iPhone 3GS | iPhone 3G | India
Old 22nd November 2010, 15:15   #2583
Team-BHP Support

Image given is that of iPhone 4, are they testing before launching? But if its the price for a 3GS then am shocked!
Old 22nd November 2010, 15:34   #2584
Distinguished - BHPian

Bombay price shows Rs. 18000/- Gonna call my customer executive to find out more details.
Old 22nd November 2010, 15:40   #2585
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Image given is that of iPhone 4, are they testing before launching? But if its the price for a 3GS then am shocked!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Bombay price shows Rs. 18000/- Gonna call my customer executive to find out more details.
And very relieved that i sold my old 3G for 16k on ebay last week

EDIT karnataka site shows 3G at 19 and 3GS at 18!! http://www.vodafone.in/phones/pages/iphone.aspx?cid=kar

Hope its not some trainee programmer fooling around

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd November 2010 at 15:45.
Old 22nd November 2010, 15:50   #2586
Senior - BHPian

It is showing 25k in Chennai and Punjab.

If you click on "All Apple iPhones" on Haryana link, it says 18k for 3GS and 20k for 3G.

I think it may be dummy data.

Last edited by mukeshgoel : 22nd November 2010 at 15:57.
Old 22nd November 2010, 19:07   #2587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppr View Post
The "reception horror" iPhone 4 has sold 15 million pieces since it was launched. .... The few I have seen with friends have no reception issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
For anyone who cares to read - let me say one thing. The IP4 is by far the BEST mobile phone I have ever used. Period.

No inexplicable call drops whatsoever even in weak reception areas such as office buildings.

For all the brouhaha about a new design of the IP4 after the 30th Sept free case offer was withdrawn, there's been no sign of an 'improved' model. Some sites have suggested Apple insulated the antenna internally on late model Ip4s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I have an iPhone 4 bought in Oct from Dubai, and am using it on Airtel EDGE connection here in BLR. The bar calibration, reception and call strength is 100% same as my old 3G which was running on 4.1 OS. I have used it with and without case and i didnt find any difference, maybe its the way in which i hold the phone, maybe issue is when one is on 3G and at a weak signal area.
Not to sound rhetorical or anything but yesterday I was sitting in the car with a friend of mine from IBM, waiting for another friend and the friend complained that he is not getting full reception and asked me to check mine. I checked my 3GS iPhone and I had full reception. I asked him to give a call to my phone and the call could not go through. If anyone cares to read, the horror exists abeit not evident everytime.
I went through the features and things missing in the 3G version and I was impressed. It is a very good phone minus the rhetoric.
Old 22nd November 2010, 21:44   #2588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
It is showing 25k in Chennai and Punjab.

If you click on "All Apple iPhones" on Haryana link, it says 18k for 3GS and 20k for 3G.

I think it may be dummy data.
guys the data has been removed i guess. i checked vodafone site and price tag removed.

info at all,: My iphone 4 32 gb is landed to my friend in singapore. Now the endless wait

Wanted to ask one more question:

If i buy maps from satnav or MMI for iphone will it work without any data from gprs. please put some light on the same. thanks.
Old 22nd November 2010, 22:14   #2589
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Not to sound rhetorical or anything but yesterday I was sitting in the car with a friend of mine from IBM, waiting for another friend and the friend complained that he is not getting full reception and asked me to check mine. I checked my 3GS iPhone and I had full reception. I asked him to give a call to my phone and the call could not go through. If anyone cares to read, the horror exists abeit not evident everytime.

I have experienced the same problem with Nokia phones ...my handset an N97 showing 2 bars (in my home)...and my wife's handset an E72 showing all 5 bars. Both NOKIA handsets were within a foot of each other. Wife's handset is classified as out of coverage area when network signal is at max.

PS - both phones are on the same network.

Obviously these horrors exist in other phones as well.

Last edited by R2D2 : 22nd November 2010 at 22:20. Reason: Added PS
Old 23rd November 2010, 00:08   #2590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Guys
Can somebody list of the essential apps one needs to have. Like a must have apps for iphone. If possible do mention if it is free/paid and if its a game or not.
The apps I use are:

Games: Angry Birds, Air Hockey
Reference: Wikipedia, India Dialing Codes, Dictionary
News: Engadget, Techcrunch, Mashable, Discovery, NDTV, Tamil Cinema
Customization: SB Settings, Winterboard
Other: Facebook

Sorry I forgot which of these are free. I forget which of these apps cost me $0.99 but all these apps are definitely worth more than Rs.45 each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I am using IOS3,so not really aware as to how easy or difficult is it to unlock IOS4?
Is it worth paying 34K for a Unlocked and Jailbroken phone,over a locked phone that is for 30K?

I am confused.
Hang on! If you upgrade OS to 4.0 then there is an unlock available. However, it is not that easy to change APN Settings as on OS 3.1.2 or 3.1.3. There is a website for that but I haven't tested that yet, will do that next week when I am back in India. In any case don't upgrade to 4.1 as there is no unlock available yet. Jailbreak is available but unlock is yet to be released.

Reg paying more for an unlocked one: Depends on your mindset and inclination. I too paid a bit more for a phone which had been jailbroken and unlocked, than doing it myself, though I have myself unlocked my previous iPhone and had experience doing it. It is just a peace of mind factor and the fact that someone else has gone through all the hassle and taken the risk factor of bricking the phone, so I don't have to do it.

GPS:

By the way I have seen an amazing app called "Navigon". My friend was using it on his iPhone. It is "Offline GPS" for US, like what we have in Nokia 5230. He was totally disconnected from the Internet, in fact his iPhone didn't even have a SIM card in it - but the Navigon worked like a charm, and the iPhone worked 100% as a proper GPS. In fact it had hundreds of nearby places like ATMs, restaurants etc pre-filled. Since it is all offline and fetched from the memory, you can imagine how fast and snappy the GPS was - no communication lag at all.

My friend also told me that there is an app called "Mobile Maps India" which works equally well in India. I am planning to try it, and if it works fine then I will buy it. It costs $70, but if it works like this (literally a proper GPS without any need for Internet) then that $70 is worth it, IMHO.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 23rd November 2010 at 00:13.
Old 23rd November 2010, 06:47   #2591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
My friend also told me that there is an app called "Mobile Maps India" which works equally well in India. I am planning to try it, and if it works fine then I will buy it. It costs $70, but if it works like this (literally a proper GPS without any need for Internet) then that $70 is worth it, IMHO.
Mobile Maps (India) is a good application but does not work in offline mode. It needs an internet connection (GPRS) but is pretty accurate with voice navigation and lots of waypoint reminders. I bought it when there was a price drop for some days to $49!
The other apps on my iPhone 4 are:
1. VLC player: Free: Excellent app. plays virtually any video format
2. iMovie: Paid: Great app for creating movies
3. Emoji free: A good app to add emoticons
4. PDF reader: Both free and paid available: Both are very useful
5. Facebook, sype and twitter: free
6. iBooks: Great book app. Many free full books available
7. MotionX GPS: Both free/paid: Excellent GPS application. You can send your c-ordinates to 4 email ids and also store many waypoints. Needs GPRS
8. Everytrail: Both free/paid: Very useful if you are into LD tours/ riding/ travelling: You can make a GPS trail of your journey, upload it and send it to your preferred mail ids
9. My Diary: Paid: Great app, Password protected and useful if you have the habit of maintaining a diary/log
10. Torch: Free: Very useful
11. Games like: Virtual pool (both free/paid), FF Adrenaline. Dots. Touch hockey, Shrek karting, Moto Gp etc. Load of free games available

Last edited by madhkris : 23rd November 2010 at 06:48. Reason: Typo error
Old 23rd November 2010, 07:14   #2592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
The other apps on my iPhone 4 are:
1. VLC player: Free: Excellent app. plays virtually any video format
2. iMovie: Paid: Great app for creating movies
3. Emoji free: A good app to add emoticons
4. PDF reader: Both free and paid available: Both are very useful
5. Facebook, sype and twitter: free
6. iBooks: Great book app. Many free full books available
7. MotionX GPS: Both free/paid: Excellent GPS application. You can send your c-ordinates to 4 email ids and also store many waypoints. Needs GPRS
8. Everytrail: Both free/paid: Very useful if you are into LD tours/ riding/ travelling: You can make a GPS trail of your journey, upload it and send it to your preferred mail ids
9. My Diary: Paid: Great app, Password protected and useful if you have the habit of maintaining a diary/log
10. Torch: Free: Very useful
11. Games like: Virtual pool (both free/paid), FF Adrenaline. Dots. Touch hockey, Shrek karting, Moto Gp etc. Load of free games available
Can you please tell if a video converted from 1080p .mkv to .mp4 will play in VLC media player?

I converted a file from .mkv to .mp4, but when i transfer using itunes, it says the file can't be transferred since its not playable on itunes.

please advice if you have done anything like that.

thanks
Old 23rd November 2010, 10:09   #2593
Team-BHP Support

4.2.1 update out, unlockers please stay away for now.
Old 23rd November 2010, 10:25   #2594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Can you please tell if a video converted from 1080p .mkv to .mp4 will play in VLC media player?

I converted a file from .mkv to .mp4, but when i transfer using itunes, it says the file can't be transferred since its not playable on itunes.

please advice if you have done anything like that.

thanks
Doesn't matter if the original video is HD or not! If the resolution of .mp4 file is correct, it is playable on your device. I had so many converted HD videos on my iPhone and so is the case with my Xperia X10 (same .mp4 files). What video converter did you use? That can be an issue if the file is not playable in itunes. I use Total Video Converter on my pc.
Old 23rd November 2010, 12:32   #2595
Team-BHP Support

I upgraded to 4.2.1 yesterday night. I don't see an iota of difference, it looks exactly same. What am I missing? Are all the changes only under the hood?

Most Viewed