Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2010, 12:57   #2566
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Was that for me? The phone is working fine. Im waiting for the data services to get active.
Arre baba it was for you, since voda is an official iPhone service provider. iTunes will fetch the required settings and update the phone. Or else download iphone configuration utility, and use it to create whatever settings you want.

This is what i would do:

Step1: take the same sim card, use it in another phone and see if the internet is working fine. If it is not, you can stop and wait for voda to do the needful.

Step 2: Once you clear step 1, put the sim in iphone and connect to iTunes and sync once. Should work now, if step 2 doesnt work move to 3.

Step 3: Use unlockit site or iPhone config utility to set the APN etc (same as what worked in the other phone). It will work, or else drown the phone in water
Old 19th November 2010, 14:21   #2567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumaravelS View Post
Do anyone of you use iphone Apps => GreaseMunky or VehiCal to track the expenses incurred for your vehicle?
Though GreaseMunky is download free, seems it needs upgrade to paid one for testing it out.. :-( VehiCal seems to be cool, would post further analysis when I really start using that...
Old 19th November 2010, 16:52   #2568
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys, well it took 24 hours. But the internet is working on my iPhone. Now im using the 499 plan. Is there any unlimited plan from Vodafone?
Old 19th November 2010, 17:31   #2569
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Why did you take the official iphone plan? It's a rip off. Rather pay a couple of hundred bucks extra and take the unlimited package (Rs.899). All you need is to use unlockit to do the settings on the iphone.
Quote:
What 899 plan is this? Now im thoroughly confused. lol. I think all those APN settings etc are already there on my phone.

I took the 499 plan. My mother will be using this. Im very happy with my Bold 2 *runs for cover*
Quote:
Thanks guys, well it took 24 hours. But the internet is working on my iPhone. Now im using the 499 plan. Is there any unlimited plan from Vodafone?
Read baba^^^^

Short term memory loss?
Old 19th November 2010, 18:07   #2570
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Read baba^^^^

Short term memory loss?
But there is no iPhone plan listed as 899. Are you talking of the BB 899 plan? I dont think I will need unlockit, since I can edit the APN settings etc already.
Old 19th November 2010, 19:20   #2571
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But there is no iPhone plan listed as 899. Are you talking of the BB 899 plan? I dont think I will need unlockit, since I can edit the APN settings etc already.
Arre baba!!!! That's what i said. iPhone plans are a rip off. Take the normal GPRS plan of 899 unlimited. You need to set the APN on the iphone to read www

That's all.
Old 19th November 2010, 20:29   #2572
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Arre baba!!!! That's what i said. iPhone plans are a rip off. Take the normal GPRS plan of 899 unlimited. You need to set the APN on the iphone to read www

That's all.
Thanks alot. Will do that from next month
Old 19th November 2010, 23:56   #2573
Senior - BHPian

I've faced a lot of problems getting VMC activated as well. I don't think it is specific to iPhone, I had exactly the same problem with my HTC Herald and my Sony Ericsson. I would send the ACT VMC or whatever sms, wait indefinitely, call customer care, tey would redirect me to Vodafone Store, those guys would redirect me to customer care again... nothing would happen. Then finally after umpteen times of changing my APN settings from googling, it worked. So I dont think you have to go for an "iPhone plan".

I was using iPhone purchased from Airtel, unlocked it, and used a Vodafone simcard. The same Vodafone simcard had GPRS enabled on a previous moboile (Sony Ericsson W700i), so I just put it into the iPhone, changed APN and it worked! Similarly many of my friends buy iPhone from US and use it with Vodafone without any "iPhone plan".

So I would suggest don't go for any "iPhone plan" as it is not necessary. Just want to warn you before you shell out huge money for that
Old 20th November 2010, 12:45   #2574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I know that they are not sold unlocked anywhere in US, confirmed by multiple sources. Only iPad is sold unlocked.

Unlock code while travelling is also a dicey thing, so far only one person out of 4 i know have managed to get this done.

Good thing iPhone 4 even on 4.1 can be unlocked and jailbroken as per iclarified.
I got confirmed news from Apple store manager. They sell no contract phones and locked with AT&T. That's how it is in the box when we buy it. After buying, we have to call customer service and get it unlocked free of cost. They don't do it in store since they can't generate the unlock code. They will help you get it done if you don't wanna do it on your own.

I just bought a new iphone 4 AGAIN. And it seems they have worked on antennagate. The reason i say this is because the same place where previous iphone4 use to have 1 signal bar, it shows 4 bar at same place. I am hoping all is good now. Coming days would be interesting.
Old 21st November 2010, 01:32   #2575
BHPian

Hi guys i returned my 3gs 32gb and i am buying iphone 4 32gb, should i get a factory unlocked one which is a bit costly or a jailbroken one which is cheaper. Do all the applications run on the jailbroken handset or is there a problem.

Thanks
Old 21st November 2010, 15:36   #2576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I got confirmed news from Apple store manager. They sell no contract phones and locked with AT&T. That's how it is in the box when we buy it. After buying, we have to call customer service and get it unlocked free of cost. They don't do it in store since they can't generate the unlock code. They will help you get it done if you don't wanna do it on your own.

I just bought a new iphone 4 AGAIN. And it seems they have worked on antennagate. The reason i say this is because the same place where previous iphone4 use to have 1 signal bar, it shows 4 bar at same place. I am hoping all is good now. Coming days would be interesting.
@ Chevelle: I bought an iPhone 4 on a recent visit to Houston. It was a no-contract phone but locked to AT&T. I was under the impression that we could call customer service and get it unlocked free of charge, but the apple atore guy kept telling me that it would have to be jailbroken & carrier-unlocked... Anyways, I didn't get any time to pursue this in the US, and now I'm back in India. So do you have any idea how I can get this to work in India?
Old 21st November 2010, 19:08   #2577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocklock View Post
@ Chevelle: I bought an iPhone 4 on a recent visit to Houston. It was a no-contract phone but locked to AT&T. I was under the impression that we could call customer service and get it unlocked free of charge, but the apple atore guy kept telling me that it would have to be jailbroken & carrier-unlocked... Anyways, I didn't get any time to pursue this in the US, and now I'm back in India. So do you have any idea how I can get this to work in India?
Did you call ATT customer service and talked to them? You tell them you need the unlock code and that you bought it as a no commitment phone from att or apple store. They give it w/o fuss. If they ask why, just tell them you going to India/UK/Aus/NZ and that you will be using local service. They will oblige.

Now since you are in India, only way forward is jailbreak and unlock it. You may try with official carrier of iphone - Vodafone & Airtel, they may be able to help but i doubt they will since its not launched there yet.

Last edited by chevelle : 21st November 2010 at 19:10.
Old 21st November 2010, 20:02   #2578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Did you call ATT customer service and talked to them? You tell them you need the unlock code and that you bought it as a no commitment phone from att or apple store. They give it w/o fuss. If they ask why, just tell them you going to India/UK/Aus/NZ and that you will be using local service. They will oblige.

Now since you are in India, only way forward is jailbreak and unlock it. You may try with official carrier of iphone - Vodafone & Airtel, they may be able to help but i doubt they will since its not launched there yet.
ATT Customer Service? I thought we had to contact Apple Customer care.

Would mailing them help? I don't want to to go the jailbreak way because I'll have to wait - there's no jailbreak available for my firmware version. That's beside all the other issues with jailbreaking.
Old 21st November 2010, 20:18   #2579
Senior - BHPian

Guys

Can somebody list of the essential apps one needs to have. Like a must have apps for iphone. If possible do mention if it is free/paid and if its a game or not.

Some of the apps that i use are

Apps: Facebook, twitter, banks, gmail, yahoo, skype, remote, yelp, ToDo, AirShare.

Games: Tap Tap Revenge, Ice hockey, Bejeweled 2.

All apps above are free.
Old 22nd November 2010, 08:57   #2580
Senior - BHPian

I am Using a 3GS 16 GB for now,and thinking of upgrading to 4.
Since none of my Acquaintances are coming from US,UK,or HK in future.
So i have to rely on local sources.
i am getting quotes ranging from 30K-42K
30K-for a phone locked to AT&T.
34K-for a Unlocked and a Jailbroken one.
42K-For dont know what
I am using IOS3,so not really aware as to how easy or difficult is it to unlock IOS4?
Is it worth paying 34K for a Unlocked and Jailbroken phone,over a locked phone that is for 30K?

I am confused.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks