Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2011, 00:40   #3376
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread: Update iOS 5 announced!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
You could enter the serial number on the supposrt page to see what support is offered outside of france.
I checked mine and found it was factory unlocked cos airtel and aircel were listed as support providers.
I needed to check factory unlock for some other purposes, though.

EDIT:
try here: https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do
I too found that airtel and aircel were the support providers when I entered my ID. Are you sure that means the phone is factory unlocked? This issue is bordering on the occult, as I could not find a single foolproof way to confirm if the iPhone 4 bought is factory unlocked or if the seller used some hack to unlock it.

Does a Gevey sim need any third party app for unlocking? For instance, if he had unlocked it by jailbreaking, I could've identified it by noticing the presence of Cydia.
Old 27th June 2011, 09:44   #3377
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels View Post
I too found that airtel and aircel were the support providers when I entered my ID. Are you sure that means the phone is factory unlocked? This issue is bordering on the occult, as I could not find a single foolproof way to confirm if the iPhone 4 bought is factory unlocked or if the seller used some hack to unlock it.

Does a Gevey sim need any third party app for unlocking? For instance, if he had unlocked it by jailbreaking, I could've identified it by noticing the presence of Cydia.
I had to wipe my phone, just for the sake of a fresh "install".
so i checked at that link.
it said airtel, i said ok, wiped, was still unlocked post the reinstall.
and even if it is locked, whats the problem?
if youre convesant with JB, you can just as easily unlock on your computer.
or else, go to an iphone "bazaar" and pay 3-400 bucks.
Old 27th June 2011, 11:17   #3378
BHPian

using iOS 5 for a few days and the highlights for me are the I message app and the notifications bar. There are quite a few apps which I use, which will not work with the new OS, but I am ok with that as they are not critical. Battery seems to have improved as well. I could is pretty easy to setup, but still have not checked if there is a backup in the cloud...

Running smooth, other than the apps thing I pointed out earlier.
Old 27th June 2011, 12:27   #3379
BHPian

Quote:
I had to wipe my phone, just for the sake of a fresh "install".
so i checked at that link.
it said airtel, i said ok, wiped, was still unlocked post the reinstall.
and even if it is locked, whats the problem?
if youre convesant with JB, you can just as easily unlock on your computer.
or else, go to an iphone "bazaar" and pay 3-400 bucks.
Yes I am conversant with Jailbreaking. I've done it on my iPod Touch quite some time back. The thing is, there have been many instances of unlocking through jailbreaks gone awry. This being a phone, if something happens, would seriously hinder day to day activities. iOS 5 has apparently closed quite a few loopholes. While it is accepted that an unlock will be eventually released, I would like to go the Apple way instead with my iPhone.

I'm guessing it is factory unlocked. Waiting for the official release of 5 to find out. Good to hear that the battery back up has improved. I'm not exactly impressed with the current battery life. It lasts 3 days max (I do use a few apps, but no 3G. Wi Fi does stay on when I am at home)
Old 27th June 2011, 12:37   #3380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes I am conversant with Jailbreaking. I've done it on my iPod Touch quite some time back. The thing is, there have been many instances of unlocking through jailbreaks gone awry. This being a phone, if something happens, would seriously hinder day to day activities. iOS 5 has apparently closed quite a few loopholes. While it is accepted that an unlock will be eventually released, I would like to go the Apple way instead with my iPhone.

I'm guessing it is factory unlocked. Waiting for the official release of 5 to find out. Good to hear that the battery back up has improved. I'm not exactly impressed with the current battery life. It lasts 3 days max (I do use a few apps, but no 3G. Wi Fi does stay on when I am at home)
Unlocking and jailbreaking are different.
Even if you aint factory unlocked, you can still jailbreak without losing the original unlock.
If you want to JB on your Iphone 4(?),you can run it on 4.x os for sometime till 5.x JB comes out, and then upgrade.
usually doesnt take more than 1-2 months before a JB for a new release comes out.
Old 27th June 2011, 13:02   #3381
BHPian

Quote:
Unlocking and jailbreaking are different.
Even if you aint factory unlocked, you can still jailbreak without losing the original unlock.

Like I said, I've already jailbroken iDevices before. Unlocking is generally done either through ultrasn0w (whether it will unlock the existing baseband is yet to be seen) or by going to these "shops" which use Gevey sims. Apple has blocked the loophole that the gevey sim used (fooling the iPhone's emergency calling feature) with iOS 5. An unlock will probably be released after the official release of iOS 5, but that will take quite a few days, until which I cannot afford to stay without my phone. Nevertheless, since you didn't have a problem wiping your phone, I think I shouldn't too. I haven't updated my firmware yet. Waiting for 5 to be released.
FanaticOnWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 13:25   #3382
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Like I said, I've already jailbroken iDevices before. Unlocking is generally done either through ultrasn0w (whether it will unlock the existing baseband is yet to be seen) or by going to these "shops" which use Gevey sims. Apple has blocked the loophole that the gevey sim used (fooling the iPhone's emergency calling feature) with iOS 5. An unlock will probably be released after the official release of iOS 5, but that will take quite a few days, until which I cannot afford to stay without my phone. Nevertheless, since you didn't have a problem wiping your phone, I think I shouldn't too. I haven't updated my firmware yet. Waiting for 5 to be released.
One of my friends had this hard unlock.
Thanks.
I didnt know it was called a gevey(?) sim.
Sometimes i wonder what the primary purpose of the oh-so-frequent Ios updates are?
to enhance user experience, or to shutdown the exploited loopholes!!
Old 27th June 2011, 15:59   #3383
BHPian

Yeah . And it's irritating when Apple keeps locking these phones to certain carriers, and leaves the user no certain way to find out if the phone he/she bought was factory unlocked. Apple doesn't even have an email support ID!

A bit of research showed me that the Gevey sim unlock is based on hardware additions to the sim tray. Since our phones don't have any gevey sims already placed on the tray, we can safely assume that the phones are factory unlocked, unless they're jailbroken (presence of cydia)
Old 28th June 2011, 18:43   #3384
BHPian

Hey Guys,

I have had android experience (read amazing experience) with two devices. My wife has a Samsung Galaxy Ace and I had a Samsung Galaxy 3.

Yes, you read it right, I had a G3 'coz I lost it a while ago and am still missing it a lot. It's time I got myself a new phone and that's how the confusion set in.

Galaxy S2 vs iPhone 4

I am in a utter state of confusion. While Android is more feature packed, open-source, easy to use, iPhone come with a set of limitations I guess.

I was all set to pick S2 until I laid my hands on iPhone 4 at Reliance digital and was sold to it's beauty, precision and elegance.

I need your help in making this decision. If I decide to jump the ship (android to iOS) what should I be ready to sacrifice and what should I be looking forward to?

Looking forward to your valuable inputs...
sheetumanu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2011, 19:16   #3385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
..Galaxy S2 vs iPhone 4...
I'm also in the same boat as you are in. I'm also in search of a new phone and shortlisted the same.

The feedback I got from some of my relatives who used both the phones (Galaxy S and iPhone4) is that they preferred iPhone4. They say it never crashes like android phones, never hangs and the UI is also good. Some even told me that their Galaxy S used to work very good one day and the other day, it used to be at the other end. This is the feedback i got between Galaxy S and the iPhone4.

Based on this, I'm slightly hesitant to go for Galaxy S2. On paper, S2 has hardware as well as S/W improvements over S and iPhone4 also. But, I've not yet finalized yet. If I get a good feedback, I might go for it over iPhone4.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 28th June 2011 at 19:18.
Old 28th June 2011, 20:57   #3386
BHPian

I have used android for more than a year before moving to the iPhone. I don't seem to be missing any features and I am also blown away with the fluidity and stability of the phone. My milestone used to hang at least once a day and tge battery was not too great either
Old 28th June 2011, 22:08   #3387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
I'm also in the same boat as you are in. I'm also in search of a new phone and shortlisted the same.

The feedback I got from some of my relatives who used both the phones (Galaxy S and iPhone4) is that they preferred iPhone4. They say it never crashes like android phones, never hangs and the UI is also good. Some even told me that their Galaxy S used to work very good one day and the other day, it used to be at the other end. This is the feedback i got between Galaxy S and the iPhone4.

Based on this, I'm slightly hesitant to go for Galaxy S2. On paper, S2 has hardware as well as S/W improvements over S and iPhone4 also. But, I've not yet finalized yet. If I get a good feedback, I might go for it over iPhone4.
Hmm even my android experience says that it really gets buggy and annoying at times. Please do post any update you get in this matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
I have used android for more than a year before moving to the iPhone. I don't seem to be missing any features and I am also blown away with the fluidity and stability of the phone. My milestone used to hang at least once a day and tge battery was not too great either
Battery drain is another serious issue in android I agree. As for missing features, I am sure there must be some. Below are a few that I have heard and only heard:

1. Apple App Store does not have any app that could hold a candle to "Tasker" app for android.
2. You cannot pair iPhone with non-iOS devices using bluetooth.
3. It does not support Adobe flash.
4. You cannot have live wallpapers on iPhone.
5. You cannot replace the stock launcher in iPhone.
6. You cannot insert details of a stored contact in an SMS without manually typing it.
Old 28th June 2011, 22:17   #3388
BHPian

Quote:

1. Apple App Store does not have any app that could hold a candle to "Tasker" app for android.
2. You cannot pair iPhone with non-iOS devices using bluetooth.
3. It does not support Adobe flash.
4. You cannot have live wallpapers on iPhone.
5. You cannot replace the stock launcher in iPhone.
6. You cannot insert details of a stored contact in an SMS without manually typing it.
Well, I dont really use tasker and bluetooth works if you know what to do. Flash again is over rated for mainly browsing the web and for me it slowed down the web browsing experience on my milestone.

Live wallpapers really sucks the life out of the battery of any android, so for me again its a big no no.

On the stock launcher, ADB was nice and much better than the Iphone launcher. And the last point is a bit painful for Iphone users. Atleast there's copy paste....
Old 28th June 2011, 22:28   #3389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post

Couple of points to notice between the two:

1. S2's plastic and build quality is inferior to iPhone (quoting S2 owners).
2. S2's audio quality is terrible so much so that some of the S2 owners sold their units off solely due to this reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
bluetooth works if you know what to do.
Bluetooth pairing is extremely critical (read indispensable) for me as I would need to pair it up with my Galaxy Ace and more importantly with my Punto's Blue&Me.

Do you mind sharing how to get it to work?
Old 28th June 2011, 22:36   #3390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its easy to just press down and copy/paste in SMS. Faster than manually typing it. If you list out the features iphone doesnt have, it will be a big list. But the user experience and apps is nothing like what I have used before. I will NEVER EVER use a Nokia again unless they revamp the UI.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks