Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2020, 10:26   #12841
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
My old iPhone has slowed down considerable over the last two weeks. The New iPhone 12 launch must be round the corner. But, On a serious note, apps are also hanging. When I switch off and restart, it does get better. Very odd
It's probably the battery. What's the battery health showing? If throttling is turned on in battery settings, you can disable it. Check the performance management toggle.
Restart disables the throttling temporarily I think. That's why you are seeing the performance improvement.
joethomasv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 11:23   #12842
Senior - BHPian

Battery health is at 85%. Is that ok? It says Battery is supporting peak performance capability. Optimized charging is on. Device seems to be 75% better today
Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
It's probably the battery. What's the battery health showing? If throttling is turned on in battery settings, you can disable it. Check the performance management toggle.
Restart disables the throttling temporarily I think. That's why you are seeing the performance improvement.
Old 10th August 2020, 11:50   #12843
BHPian

Quote:
My old iPhone has slowed down considerable over the last two weeks. The New iPhone 12 launch must be round the corner. But, On a serious note, apps are also hanging. When I switch off and restart, it does get better. Very odd
IIRC this is the second device apart from the X which saw screen replacement?

Try clearing out some of the whatsapp groups (Chats, media etc.). Turn background app refresh to off. Unload (Uninstall) unused apps, specially the ones which have not been updated in an year and not being used as well.

Or may be is it the deadly combo of 5 year itch and placebo? If I were you, I would

1. Buy 12 as a replacement for X and relegate X to do duties of 7 plus and if there is no youngster in the house who doesn't need an entry level iOS device, monetize the same.

2. Replace 7 plus with latest SE and wait till next year to replace X with the iPhone 2021

PS: With dual sim functionality with new iPhones, may be two devices are no longer required.
roamer012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 12:02   #12844
BHPian

Quote:
Battery health is at 85%. Is that ok? It says Battery is supporting peak performance capability. Optimized charging is on. Device seems to be 75% better today

85% seems fine. Check when the next time phone slows down if it's still showing peak performance.
joethomasv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 08:53   #12845
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Guys, anyone knows a proven method to get data thats been deleted from an iPhone?
Old 18th August 2020, 09:13   #12846
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi Guys, anyone knows a proven method to get data thats been deleted from an iPhone?
Normally all important data on the phone is automatically backed up to your iCloud account. This includes call records, SMSes, WhatsApp chats among other data items.
Old 18th August 2020, 12:48   #12847
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Normally all important data on the phone is automatically backed up to your iCloud account. This includes call records, SMSes, WhatsApp chats among other data items.
No. With the new select all tool. Some important photos was deleted. And hence no backup. And hence the question.
Old 18th August 2020, 12:54   #12848
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No. With the new select all tool. Some important photos was deleted. And hence no backup. And hence the question.
It depends on how soon the photos were deleted after being written to internal memory. If there was a gap of at least 5 minutes between these 2 operations you may find at least some of them uploaded to your iCloud account. The photos are backed up almost immediately if on WiFi.

PS there are paid apps which recover photos for you. for e.g. How to recover deleted photos from iPhone?

Adding reply here:

Quote:
Ive turned off photo/video backup to icloud. Takes up a lot of bandwidth.
Please try and keep it on at least when you have taken new photos and once a day for data safety purposes. Believe me, a cloud based backup is a lifesaver.

Last edited by R2D2 : 18th August 2020 at 12:58. Reason: added reply
Old 18th August 2020, 12:56   #12849
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
It depends on how soon the photos were deleted after being written to internal memory. If there was a gap of at least 5 minutes between these 2 operations you may find at least some of them uploaded to your iCloud account. The photos are backed up almost immediately if on WiFi.
Old 18th August 2020, 13:08   #12850
Senior - BHPian

So my 4 year old iPhone SE has been acting up for the last 6 months. The charge reduces from 100 - 0% in 2 hours. But Battery health is shown as 80%. CoconutBattery shows the battery health to be ~40%.
I took it to the iStore at Mantri Mall, Bengaluru and they don't really honor the appointment taken but rather rely on token taken at entry. There was 1 exec at 1100-1145 that I was there. He took one look at my phone and said 80%, nothing can be done, come back after it becomes 79%. I tried explaining that it was out of warranty and I'm happy to pay him Rs. 5600/- for the replacement, but to no avail. Finally after clearing 2 other customers he took my phone inside and came back in 1 min saying that if they change the battery before it dips below 80%, it will get a restarting issue. And he cautioned me against getting it done outside. He also said the reply will be standard even at a different ASS.
Now this battery health has been at 80% for a very long time. when the app first came it was 83% So I have no hopes like him that it wall fall to 79% in a week, 4 days has elapsed already. And in the 20 mins that I was talking to him, the battery came into low power mode and 20% appeared and went down to 8% in front of him.
So what do I do? iPhone is no good when things go wrong. Please don't ask my to upgrade as I don't have 1 Lakh lying around. And I'm really not comfortable with going for a bigger phone, 4.7" screen seems to be big enough. Or I might look at the Nokia Banana phone.
Old 18th August 2020, 13:20   #12851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
So what do I do? iPhone is no good when things go wrong. Please don't ask my to upgrade as I don't have 1 Lakh lying around. And I'm really not comfortable with going for a bigger phone, 4.7" screen seems to be big enough. Or I might look at the Nokia Banana phone.
I have noticed this on my iPhone, with mobile data turned ON and without data package from the network provider, the battery discharge is very fast.

Can you try without the data turned on.
Old 18th August 2020, 15:02   #12852
BHPian

You will be able to find the deleted photos in the "Recently deleted" album. Go to photos ->Click on album at the bottom ->Scroll to the end of the page -> Under other albums -> Recently deleted.

Photos are stored here for typically held for 30 days. It will show on the photo thumbnail how many days are left before it is permanently deleted. Hope this helps!

Revverend
revverend is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 16:11   #12853
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I took it to the iStore at Mantri Mall, Bengaluru and they don't really honor the appointment taken but rather rely on token taken at entry. There was 1 exec at 1100-1145 that I was there. He took one look at my phone and said 80%, nothing can be done, come back after it becomes 79%
He's misleading you. I had my phone's battery replaced when it was about 86% and exhibiting the same issues that you do. Even Apple's so called diagnostic tests weren't able to spot the issue and kept 'passing' the battery's performance. Take the handset to another Apple service provider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revverend View Post
You will be able to find the deleted photos in the "Recently deleted" album. Go to photos ->Click on album at the bottom ->Scroll to the end of the page -> Under other albums -> Recently deleted. Photos are stored here for typically held for 30 days. It will show on the photo thumbnail how many days are left before it is permanently deleted. Hope this helps! Revverend
Perfect!I really wonder how I forgot about this deleted folder. SMH!!
Old 18th August 2020, 16:28   #12854
BHPian

Quote:

I would suggest using Google Photos for backup. Provides unlimited storage.
But you would have to choose the "High Quality" option (i.e. Google's optimized way to storing the photos) and not "Original Size". And "High Quality" option is more than sufficient.

I personally am using Google Photos only for backup.
swiftLife is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 16:31   #12855
BHPian

Quote:
... I tried explaining that it was out of warranty and I'm happy to pay him Rs. 5600/- for the replacement, but to no avail...
Just wondering, I asked apple service center in my city for iPhone 6S battery and they quoted me Rs. 2900 so how come it is more than 5K for yours.
Also when you are ready to pay, I am not sure why he would deny you.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th August 2020 at 18:27. Reason: Trimmed quote

Most Viewed