Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2020, 15:18   #12901
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
In Kolkata, it's 3600 to replace the battery. Latest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Yes I had asked just one month back. They told me they may need to keep phone for few days if battery isn't in stock but for me they told it was in stock and they could do in 1-2 days. I didn't go ahead as my battery was okiesh then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manu220194 View Post
I got my iPhone 7 battery replaced at Maple (Apple Authorized Service center) in March for ~3500 pre lockdown. Don't know how you got a 6K estimate for an SE - quite absurd. Do get a quote from Maple.
Called PlanetCare(Authorised service provider) and they again quoted 5200 today but for an iPhone 7. They say that the battery alone costs 3800 and service charge is extra.

In other news, there was a series of events after I changed the battery of my iPhone 6s. All in all, now I have an iPhone 7 as my secondary phone with a bust battery and I need to replace it now

So after replacing the battery on the 6s, it performed well except for one thing - The battery indicator was erratic. The battery levels would fall very quickly upon use but would stay flat during standby. I think this is due to the phone assuming the drain characteristics of the old battery.

The iPhone Thread-img_0002.png

In the above image you can see a drastic drop in the battery level within a short amount of time. Hence I decided to completely drain the battery to 0 and then recharge it to 100%.

The iPhone Thread-img_0006.png

Here you notice that the battery during standby is totally flat without any drop in percentage. And after I put it to continuous use again, the drop rate was lower compared to before even though the usage was much severe. This is where the OS started adapting the battery level calculation to the new battery. Finally, it lasted really long from 20-0% which is opposite to what the old battery would do. After charging it again, the battery drop was more controlled. Hence, the battery swap did work well.

In the meanwhile, my father had an iPhone 7 in great condition except for a battery at 79%. He upgraded to an iPhone 11 and wanted to trade in his 7 to Cashify. The phone was damage free except for the aluminium body having minor pits. The initial estimate of Cashify was 12k rupees which was amazing value considering that the new phone today retails somewhere around 25k. But when the pickup guy arrived, he claimed that the scratches were major and reduced the estimate to 9k. I was not willing to let go of 3k rupees for what was a fully functional phone. I joked to him about my broken 6S fetching me a value of 5k which had a cracked screen, body, pitted aluminum and what not . Still he agreed to buy that phone for 5k hence I decided to let go of it and keep the 7 to myself.

That brings me back to square one - I need a replacement battery for the 7 and cant find the same seller whom I got the earlier battery from. Once I get it, I will repeat the battery swap.

Last edited by audioholic : 9th September 2020 at 15:25.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 13:48   #12902
BHPian

@audioholic why don’t you get a quote from Yaantra.com I had replaced my 6+ battery from them for Rs 1000 and they do it at you home / office location in front of you. 3 months warranty is also given. It’s been a year now and the phone is still going strong !
Old 10th September 2020, 15:36   #12903
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
@audioholic why don’t you get a quote from Yaantra.com I had replaced my 6+ battery from them for Rs 1000 and they do it at you home / office location in front of you. 3 months warranty is also given. It’s been a year now and the phone is still going strong !
I am a little worried about the brand and quality of the battery used. Of course, aftermarket is always aftermarket but I believe there is a huge difference in quality between the available options and I do not want to risk a non standard quality of battery.
Old 10th September 2020, 16:48   #12904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I am a little worried about the brand and quality of the battery used. Of course, aftermarket is always aftermarket but I believe there is a huge difference in quality between the available options and I do not want to risk a non standard quality of battery.
There is no single visible difference in the battery which they install and the original one which came with the new phone ! Since Apple is not making them there is no way to tell if a particular one is a genuine. what I have observed is the battery usage is similar to my original one, even though my usage has increased I have not seen any abnormal battery pattern. Only part is even after almost 8 months the battery health shows 100% which was not case with the original one which post 4 months was showing 98%
Old 10th September 2020, 20:30   #12905
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Only part is even after almost 8 months the battery health shows 100% which was not case with the original one which post 4 months was showing 98%
In my 2016 iPhone 6s, I had installed a new battery on 8th June & as of today battery health is down from 100% to 96%! Not usual for sure, maybe my usage of streaming Netflix,etc for 7hrs+ everyday could be the reason.
Old 10th September 2020, 21:45   #12906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
In my 2016 iPhone 6s, I had installed a new battery on 8th June & as of today battery health is down from 100% to 96%! Not usual for sure, maybe my usage of streaming Netflix,etc for 7hrs+ everyday could be the reason.
From where you have got it installed ? No way the battery health should reduce by 4 % in just 3 months even with heavy use.
Old 10th September 2020, 22:14   #12907
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From where you have got it installed ? No way the battery health should reduce by 4 % in just 3 months even with heavy use.
I got it installed at Unicorn, Authorized Service Centre at Andheri. It comes with '90 days warranty for the replaced spare' as per their remark in the invoice given to me. Does it make sense to write to them asking for a replacement ?
Old 10th September 2020, 22:36   #12908
BHPian

In my wife's iPhone X, the earpiece volume when talking to someone is too feeble. I don't know if it happened after some "event" or what. My wife says she doesn't see any issues.
Her iphone did once fall in water but I know it is sort of waterproof but worried if that caused the problem.
Anyone knows if it is indeed earpiece issue, would it be better to get it done at apple store or third party and what costs I am expecting at apple store?
Old 11th September 2020, 00:17   #12909
BHPian

Quote:
In my wife's iPhone X, the earpiece volume when talking to someone is too feeble. I don't know if it happened after some "event" or what. My wife says she doesn't see any issues.
Her iphone did once fall in water but I know it is sort of waterproof but worried if that caused the problem.
Have You tried cleaning the speaker and mic ports at the bottom?

I had a similar issue with iPhone7 and the volume changed for the better after cleaning up the ports; worth a shot!
Old 11th September 2020, 01:20   #12910
BHPian

Quote:
In my wife's iPhone X, the earpiece volume when talking to someone is too feeble
Been there done that. All you need to do is a gentle cleanup with a soft bristle toothbrush. If there is a thick layer of dirt visible, you can also use a needle, but you'll have to be too careful while doing it. Once thoroughly cleaned, the difference in sound quality would be huge.
Old 11th September 2020, 10:23   #12911
BHPian

Thank you so much @Rocky_Balboa and @TheRajput. The issue got fixed by cleaning the earpiece with a toothbrush. Thanks so much.

My wife thought she will get new phone. But now it is fixed.

Last edited by raksrules : 11th September 2020 at 10:26.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2020, 17:19   #12912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I tried Yaantra.com and the website is not working, unable to book a repair. The phone number given in the webpage 9999844944 is also not working. Then sent a message on the contact us form.
Yesterday a guy called early in the morning and said that a technician will come by 1100 and replace my battery for Rs. 1100/- inclusive of a 3 month warranty. No one came and the number from which he called was unanswered till he called back around 1500 and postponed the appointment to 1300 today. Just now the engineer calls and says that he is stuck in rain 25 kms away and wants to postpone it to Monday. Problem being that only 1 technician is available. So 2 days waiting for the work to be done.
Not too happy wasting Monday the same way. I feel like calling it off with so many set backs.
Old 12th September 2020, 17:43   #12913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I tried Yaantra.com and the website is not working, unable to book a repair. The phone number given in the webpage 9999844944 is also not working. Then sent a message on the contact us form.
Yesterday a guy called early in the morning and said that a technician will come by 1100 and replace my battery for Rs. 1100/- inclusive of a 3 month warranty. No one came and the number from which he called was unanswered till he called back around 1500 and postponed the appointment to 1300 today. Just now the engineer calls and says that he is stuck in rain 25 kms away and wants to postpone it to Monday. Problem being that only 1 technician is available. So 2 days waiting for the work to be done.
Not too happy wasting Monday the same way. I feel like calling it off with so many set backs.
That’s a bad experience! I really don’t know if they are suffering from any lockdown setbacks. I had done it last year and it was done very promptly.
Old 14th September 2020, 20:00   #12914
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
That brings me back to square one - I need a replacement battery for the 7 and cant find the same seller whom I got the earlier battery from. Once I get it, I will repeat the battery swap.
Replaced the battery of the iPhone 7 as well successfully. Found a so called genuine replacement battery on Amazon for 1699 and it came in a similar packaging as my earlier replacement battery along with a replacement dual sided tape similar to OE.
The iPhone Thread-0169beac94074c7297048190c75747d8.jpeg
The main difference this time was that the 7 has a stronger adhesive gasket between the body and the screen for its water tight nature and this will take some care and patience to remove it. What I did was to first heat up the edges of the phone and insert a 0.3mm feeler Guage into the joint near the bottom speaker. But care must be taken not to stuff it in, just a few mm is enough and this will split the screen and body. Once this gap is achieved, the rest can be managed by inserting the plastic tool slowly across the edge and allowing the adhesive to loosen gradually. No force must be applied in this process. Unlike the 6S where the screen opens vertically upwards, in the 7 its sideways. As usual, I replaced the gasket and fit it back to a perfect form.
The iPhone Thread-a48b28dbb85842d8a107bd25c352c95a.jpeg
The battery sent to me was flat, but charged to 100% and showed a health of 100% as well.
audioholic is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 12:15   #12915
BHPian

iOs 14 drops in for all devices. Happy with the incoming call screen size reduction when in an app. If not in any app, it is now possible to swipe up the call and reduce it to move on to something better than attending the call. Widgets don't fancy me, so staying away from them. Default Mail app can be now be changed ( currently only the outlook app). Everyone please explore and post the newer features.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks