Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2022, 09:47   #14506

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
How do you enable this? Even I am on regular 12. iOS Version 15.3.1
You need to be on the iOS beta for this feature, it’s still not released officially. I haven’t faced many problems with this beta though, so install at your own risk
Old 24th February 2022, 11:11   #14507
BHPian

Dear BHPians,

Need advice on the current situation of my wife’s iPhone XR which was purchased on Feb’19 (3 years now). For the last 1 Year+, this phone is having muffled sound issues during calls, which seems to be a known issue with XS/XR/8 models. I have tried all possible ways to get rid of this.

• Reset the phone couple of times, played with noise cancellation toggle, tried holding the phone in certain angles (pointing towards the nose), tried taping off the back speaker, Cleaning speaker/mic grills, etc

There is no problem with the MIC and speakers as I have tested this time and again with videos and voice recording, but the muffled/distorted sound during calls continue. Everything works excellent when the phone is in speaker mode, but that’s not a practical solution always.

I am not sure what should be the ideal way, as I don’t want to approach the service center because this is out of warranty and I read in the internet that even after the fix the issue continued, so I guess it would be a hit or miss as I guess these are specific to certain models/lot of XR. Also if I sell the phone through Cashify/Olx, the buyer might face the same issues. Otherwise the phone is in mint condition minus this issue.

Could someone please suggest if anyone has faced a similar issue and how you guys fixed it? Or any other suggestions?
Old 24th February 2022, 14:07   #14508
BHPian

If you sell it through cashify or to any other local retailer. They will verify it thoroughly, and this issue will come into notice and hence the price would be quoted accordingly. So no point in holding onto a phone which is giving trouble. Just sell it and get the next best device you want. Also I think the earphone grill and face id both are located in the same chip, so if you give it for repairing, there are chances that the face id might start facing issues after the repair. This happened with my wife’s iPhone X when I gave it for battery replacement last year, the battery got replaced but both earphone and face id started having issues due to which I was facing the same distorted sound during call issue, so I just sold it and got the iPhone 11.
Old 24th February 2022, 15:10   #14509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCarGuy View Post
Dear BHPians,

Need advice on the current situation of my wife’s iPhone XR which was purchased on Feb’19 (3 years now). For the last 1 Year+, this phone is having muffled sound issues during calls, which seems to be a known issue with XS/XR/8 models. I have tried all possible ways to get rid of this.
Not sure if this helps but with my wife's X the problem she had was very low volume when listening over a phone call. We used a toothbrush and cleaned the earpiece and that fixed the low volume problem.
Old 24th February 2022, 15:21   #14510
Senior - BHPian

My XR's battery has gone bad. I am to blame because my charging practices are very erratic. Battery health is at 84% but the phone switches off when battery reaches around 20-25%. So its quite irritating. I am effectively getting 75% of battery capacity.

Now about the solution: I cannot take this to Apple because I have broken the back glass. I do not prefer aftermarket batteries - but I have no choice. The phone is 33 months old and I want to keep it for a few more months. Are there any good Apple 'aftermarket' service centers in Gurgaon?
Old 24th February 2022, 16:32   #14511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak01 View Post
If you sell it through cashify or to any other local retailer. They will verify it thoroughly, and this issue will come into notice and hence the price would be quoted accordingly. So no point in holding onto a phone which is giving trouble. Just sell it and get the next best device you want. Also I think the earphone grill and face id both are located in the same chip, so if you give it for repairing, there are chances that the face id might start facing issues after the repair. This happened with my wife’s iPhone X when I gave it for battery replacement last year, the battery got replaced but both earphone and face id started having issues due to which I was facing the same distorted sound during call issue, so I just sold it and got the iPhone 11.
Ideally yes, that makes sense, but since I paid 70 grand for it, trying to make it last

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Not sure if this helps but with my wife's X the problem she had was very low volume when listening over a phone call. We used a toothbrush and cleaned the earpiece and that fixed the low volume problem.
Unfortunately, I did try all these steps, but this doesn't seem to fix the issue.
Old 24th February 2022, 18:05   #14512
BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPians,

My 2016 iphone 7 also developed the same problem in earpiece. I had to max out the volume to hear anything on the other call. I also tried all the remedies that you have mentioned and even went to apple service center.
I think the culprit in my case was the battery life - my phone was operating at 73% battery and i never bothered to replace the same due to cost and work from home (a charger and charging point was always nearby). I am pretty sure that if you replace the battery with new one, the volume should be at optimal level as it was, when you purchased the device. Somehow across 3 iphones what I have owned till now, once the battery life starts reducing, there is always lower performance from hardware like display gets dimmer, earpiece does not work on full volume, device starts heating up etc.
Turbo_anup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 18:58   #14513

Quote:
Could someone please suggest if anyone has faced a similar issue and how you guys fixed it? Or any other suggestions?
My suggestion would be to take to Apple service center get it cleaned.

Last year I changed battery of my iPhone 7 via authorized center. As part of the swap, they also cleaned the phone after running the diagnostic. It made a huge difference in speaker as well as mic. If you plan to use the phone for long, it is worth a shot.
Old 24th February 2022, 19:15   #14514
BHPian

I am starting to wonder whether iPhones have a higher rate of problems compared to other devices. I have had 4 iPhones till now, and all except the latest (12 mini) had to be taken for repair.

My first iPhone - the 2G developed a malfunctioning wifi antenna and since there was no official support in India then, had to live with just 2G internet.

My second iPhone - the 5S developed a pink screen issue during warranty period and they replaced it with a refurbished piece. The replacement device looked very new but the battery went bad within a year and I finally gave it away in exchange.

The third one - the 6S developed problem with wifi antenna in the warranty period, but couldn't get it fixed due to lockdown and post warranty they refused to repair it and gave me an option to trade it for the SE at an exorbitant price.

The fourth - the 12 mini is going well except for the poor battery life, which we are able to live with since we are holed up un our homes due to Covid.

IN CONTRAST - none of my other phones (Samsung/Nexus/Nokia/Oneplus/Xiaomi/Huawei) ever had to visit any service center except for cracked screens.

And here I read a lot about dying batteries, bad LCDs etc and wonder whether iPhones are more prone to trouble than other brands.

Now after 2 sim cards dying inside the 6S, my desire to buy a 12 or 13 has dampened a bit.

ps: Had 3 iPads until now, every one of them serving us fine for several years.
ps2: Before anybody gets triggered, just treat this more as a rant. I love the brand and OS as much as anybody else here.

Last edited by civic-sense : 24th February 2022 at 19:18.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 20:26   #14515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I am starting to wonder whether iPhones have a higher rate of problems compared to other devices. I have had 4 iPhones till now, and all except the latest (12 mini) had to be taken for repair.
Probably because iPhones are retained for much longer than android phones. Due to their long product support. The main complaint is the battery failing. Then everything else falls apart.
Old 24th February 2022, 21:14   #14516
BHPian

I have recently moved back to iOS after nearly 15 years. I had the first iPhone (called as 2G) and now I have moved back with the 13 pro max. Quick question: How to work around not having a dedicated manual mode in the camera for the iPhone?
Old 24th February 2022, 22:22   #14517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
The only option unfortunately is the third party app route. Search in trusted Apple news sites like Apple Insider, Macrumors, Six Colors, iMore etc. and follow one of their recommendation for the third party app to use.
All those apps are to be paid and bought (~$20) and none of them are 100% sure that the transfer would be succesfull, though they claim it will. And I have not seen any confidence inspiring reviews anywhere on how the transfer works.

I decided to let go all the whatsapp back on android and start afresh with iPhone.
Old 25th February 2022, 00:15   #14518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
A newbie question please. Very new to iPhone as I have always been with Android forever.

What is the best way to transfer the Whatsapp back up from google drive to iCloud and then into iPhone?
Just today i've transferred the whats app chat back up from my wife's android phone to her new i phone(13 mini) using an app called Wutsapper, link below. It's a paid app at ₹1300/year. This was the suggestion given by few of my friends and it worked like a charm. Around 7 GB of data got transferred in 15-20 mins. One needs to have a USB C to lightning cable handy(comes with new i phones).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_IN&gl=US

Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-20220224_132515.jpg  

The iPhone Thread-20220224_133828.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 25th February 2022 at 00:19.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 00:58   #14519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGlide View Post
I have recently moved back to iOS after nearly 15 years. I had the first iPhone (called as 2G) and now I have moved back with the 13 pro max. Quick question: How to work around not having a dedicated manual mode in the camera for the iPhone?
Welcome back to iPhone with flagship phone. I have the same model.

iPhone does not have any dedicated manual mode for playing around with camera but, then you don't really need one as the camera is simply superb and best in the market.

This is what you can do manually adjust some features

1. Tap anywhere in camera screen while taking a picture and exposure changes

2. Tap an object (focus gets locked) and then drag the "sun icon" up and down to adjust the exposure for other part of image.

3. Tap and hold to lock AE/AF

Finally, use the 16:8 perspective for taking pictures (I like it this way) especially landscape mode pictures. Hope this helps

3-Months Update on battery life of my iPhone 13 Promax

After completing 3 months on 13 Promax, the battery is still a beast. I'm getting anywhere between 30 hours (reasonable usage) to 42 hours (light usage)

This is a whole new level from my previous phone (iPhone 12 Promax)

Charging is also super fast. With my 20W Anker Fast Charger, it charges back from 20% to 100% in little over an hour.

Totally happy with this device. iPhone for life !!!
mobike008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 13:38   #14520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Just today i've transferred the whats app chat back up from my wife's android phone to her new i phone(13 mini) using an app called Wutsapper, link below.
Now that worked. Thanks a ton chiming in just on time.

However, the price I paid is 1700/- and hope I do not forget to unsubscribe the billing just before the year end.

And yes, it worked like a charm. Only thing was it kept on saying I need to free up atleast 8GB memory in the android while the space was already there. I further made space of more than 10GB and then it proceeded.

It works anyway, one crazy stuff.
balenoed_ is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks